Purchase of commercial property
I am not feeling at my brightest today, having had some surgery yesterday, so I would be grateful if my fellow members could save me the mental effort of looking it up for myself.
VAT-unregistered new client company is buying commercial property (I believe a head lease, rather than the freehold) from a vendor who wants to charge VAT, so I assume that the vendor must have registered for VAT and opted to tax. I am therefore now registering my client for VAT.
- I am also applying for my client to opt to tax (isn't it good that you can do this all online now?), but is it necessary to opt to tax in order to reclaim any VAT charged on the sale of the property? I think it probably is because otherwise the property would be being acquired for the purpose of making exempt supplies of rent.
- The solicitor acting for my client is saying that registering for VAT (and perhaps, also opting to tax) are pre-requisites for the sale being treated as a TOGC, with which I am inclined to agree. Am I right that a sale of a let commercial property satisfies the rules for a TOGC?
- The solicitor is asking if we can serve on the vendor a notice under Article 5.2B of the VAT (Special Provisions) Order 1995 to say that it does not apply to my client. If it is a TOGC, why would we have to serve such a notice?
- Not really my concern, but the solicitor says that if VAT is charged (and reclaimed by my new client), SDLT would be payable on the price plus VAT. Is he right?
Thank you for any answers.
- Best apps for clients 83 1
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 1,307 9
- VAT charge needed on van sale? 225 5
- Taxfiler - is it really good? 367 11
- Real names 865 29
- Is a tax return required - rental income? 173 1
- Theatre as charitable company 112 2
- Fixed Assets 138 2
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 270 2
- CGT on Sale of shop 145 2
- HMRC list of tax avoidance schemes 156 1
- Any point writing to HMRC to appeal against self assessment penalties ? 362 12
- Dividend payment date 2,023 36
- PDF to QIF (or other)? 519 14
- Consolidating the P+L for an overseas subsidiary 102 4
- Clarification over - VAT Box 8 - Flat rate scheme 238 7
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 359 1
- Capital Gains Tax 232 6
- Well well well 517 6
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 198 6
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 572
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 440
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 345
- IFA incorporation 327
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 306
- Sorry ignore me 271
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 263
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 250
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 249
- Cancelled 186