Purchase of commercial property
I am not feeling at my brightest today, having had some surgery yesterday, so I would be grateful if my fellow members could save me the mental effort of looking it up for myself.
VAT-unregistered new client company is buying commercial property (I believe a head lease, rather than the freehold) from a vendor who wants to charge VAT, so I assume that the vendor must have registered for VAT and opted to tax. I am therefore now registering my client for VAT.
- I am also applying for my client to opt to tax (isn't it good that you can do this all online now?), but is it necessary to opt to tax in order to reclaim any VAT charged on the sale of the property? I think it probably is because otherwise the property would be being acquired for the purpose of making exempt supplies of rent.
- The solicitor acting for my client is saying that registering for VAT (and perhaps, also opting to tax) are pre-requisites for the sale being treated as a TOGC, with which I am inclined to agree. Am I right that a sale of a let commercial property satisfies the rules for a TOGC?
- The solicitor is asking if we can serve on the vendor a notice under Article 5.2B of the VAT (Special Provisions) Order 1995 to say that it does not apply to my client. If it is a TOGC, why would we have to serve such a notice?
- Not really my concern, but the solicitor says that if VAT is charged (and reclaimed by my new client), SDLT would be payable on the price plus VAT. Is he right?
Thank you for any answers.
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 1,038 14
- VAT on Acquisitions and Exempt Supplier 152 3
- Claiming VAT 27 1
- Company assets 318 13
- MoneySoft 74 1
- Corporation tax on gains from one company to another 253 10
- HMRC website & Adobe Reader 253 5
- Basis period (2nd yr) for a partnership, please any suggestions would be really helpful 142 1
- Auto-enrolment - fact or fiction? 477 9
- Director resignation 723 21
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 1,781 30
- Additional information attached to accounts 128 1
- CIS Only Scheme 89 1
- No payroll scheme in place 339 1
- Xero Training 386 3
- SA Penalty 226 1
- VAT on Part Contribution towards Safety Boots 248 13
- Debtor weighting by sales 91 1
- The stupidity continues 2,824 103
- Company oversea and VAT 186 7
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 500
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 476
- Is there anything wrong with this? 276
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 264
- Uncommercial property business 237
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 203
- Registering online CWF1 181
- Accrued income scheme 177
- VAT - registration needed? 174
- Zoho software in small accounting and bookkeeping practice 172