Purchase of commercial property
I am not feeling at my brightest today, having had some surgery yesterday, so I would be grateful if my fellow members could save me the mental effort of looking it up for myself.
VAT-unregistered new client company is buying commercial property (I believe a head lease, rather than the freehold) from a vendor who wants to charge VAT, so I assume that the vendor must have registered for VAT and opted to tax. I am therefore now registering my client for VAT.
- I am also applying for my client to opt to tax (isn't it good that you can do this all online now?), but is it necessary to opt to tax in order to reclaim any VAT charged on the sale of the property? I think it probably is because otherwise the property would be being acquired for the purpose of making exempt supplies of rent.
- The solicitor acting for my client is saying that registering for VAT (and perhaps, also opting to tax) are pre-requisites for the sale being treated as a TOGC, with which I am inclined to agree. Am I right that a sale of a let commercial property satisfies the rules for a TOGC?
- The solicitor is asking if we can serve on the vendor a notice under Article 5.2B of the VAT (Special Provisions) Order 1995 to say that it does not apply to my client. If it is a TOGC, why would we have to serve such a notice?
- Not really my concern, but the solicitor says that if VAT is charged (and reclaimed by my new client), SDLT would be payable on the price plus VAT. Is he right?
Thank you for any answers.
- Knuckle down one week to go! 614 11
- Is there a risk in helping overseas companies that have no intention of doing business in the UK 226 8
- client can't/won't pay 961 17
- Worried over stock value 311 9
- Use of home deduction 76 4
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 245 10
- Backdate C79? 200 4
- Insolvent company in process of strike off 45 1
- Goodwill adjustment 84 1
- Death of taxpayer - personal allowance 78 4
- Tax return filed on time but payment late 295 5
- Company dividends 156 7
- how to reduce student loan payments - taxfiler 273 8
- state pension statement 416 7
- Notice of Coding 0T but not Month 1 230 6
- When is golf coaching a vatable supply? 109 1
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,351 25
- SA1 Online 161 2
- What tax to pay 246 3
- Writing down allowance / AIA 247 8
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 837
- Copy Wanted 565
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 515
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 497
- Latest phishing scam 362
- Entrepreneurs' relief 339
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 299
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 294
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 286
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 192