Purchase of commercial property
I am not feeling at my brightest today, having had some surgery yesterday, so I would be grateful if my fellow members could save me the mental effort of looking it up for myself.
VAT-unregistered new client company is buying commercial property (I believe a head lease, rather than the freehold) from a vendor who wants to charge VAT, so I assume that the vendor must have registered for VAT and opted to tax. I am therefore now registering my client for VAT.
- I am also applying for my client to opt to tax (isn't it good that you can do this all online now?), but is it necessary to opt to tax in order to reclaim any VAT charged on the sale of the property? I think it probably is because otherwise the property would be being acquired for the purpose of making exempt supplies of rent.
- The solicitor acting for my client is saying that registering for VAT (and perhaps, also opting to tax) are pre-requisites for the sale being treated as a TOGC, with which I am inclined to agree. Am I right that a sale of a let commercial property satisfies the rules for a TOGC?
- The solicitor is asking if we can serve on the vendor a notice under Article 5.2B of the VAT (Special Provisions) Order 1995 to say that it does not apply to my client. If it is a TOGC, why would we have to serve such a notice?
- Not really my concern, but the solicitor says that if VAT is charged (and reclaimed by my new client), SDLT would be payable on the price plus VAT. Is he right?
Thank you for any answers.
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 181 5
- 27,000 Really? 1,162 38
- What are options for non CA firm 2,842 60
- Legal title not in the company name 799 23
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 349 4
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 318 8
- Opening Balances 210 2
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 593 7
- Tax Credits for Self Employed 130 1
- FRS12 Redundancy and notice period provision 97 1
- This is getting boring 627 12
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 270 7
- pension paid by company? 127 3
- inheritance tax 432 12
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 353 9
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 231 4
- State pension 304 3
- Accountancy Career 150 1
- CIC Company 659 13
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,825 22
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 642
- Cancelled 396
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 355
- Cancelled 338
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 310
- Probiz 306
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 280
- How not to compose an email 269
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 259
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 224