Purchase of commercial property
I am not feeling at my brightest today, having had some surgery yesterday, so I would be grateful if my fellow members could save me the mental effort of looking it up for myself.
VAT-unregistered new client company is buying commercial property (I believe a head lease, rather than the freehold) from a vendor who wants to charge VAT, so I assume that the vendor must have registered for VAT and opted to tax. I am therefore now registering my client for VAT.
- I am also applying for my client to opt to tax (isn't it good that you can do this all online now?), but is it necessary to opt to tax in order to reclaim any VAT charged on the sale of the property? I think it probably is because otherwise the property would be being acquired for the purpose of making exempt supplies of rent.
- The solicitor acting for my client is saying that registering for VAT (and perhaps, also opting to tax) are pre-requisites for the sale being treated as a TOGC, with which I am inclined to agree. Am I right that a sale of a let commercial property satisfies the rules for a TOGC?
- The solicitor is asking if we can serve on the vendor a notice under Article 5.2B of the VAT (Special Provisions) Order 1995 to say that it does not apply to my client. If it is a TOGC, why would we have to serve such a notice?
- Not really my concern, but the solicitor says that if VAT is charged (and reclaimed by my new client), SDLT would be payable on the price plus VAT. Is he right?
Thank you for any answers.
- Vat threshold issues 17 1
- ATT Annual Return Problems 99 2
- How much to charge for Ltd company accounts ? 497 10
- what is classed as investment under other fixed assets? 93 1
- Is a Mercedes Vito a van for tax purposes? 318 5
- private to company car? 155 4
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 930 34
- Wages paid into another persons bank account 568 10
- Does Freeholder have to be director of our RTM Company? 212 13
- Buy to let allowable interest 116 2
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 173 1
- Partner with an IVA 153 5
- Your fondest calculator memories 561 26
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 406 11
- Has been asked before but help needed 270 7
- Anyone having problems with IRIS OpenSpace? 220 6
- Can't understand my own electricity / gas bills 347 13
- Consequential loss claim 81 1
- Does anyone do payrolling of benefits? 141 1
- Sub-contractor provided with a vehicle 251 8
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 453
- CTA study material 414
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 300
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 278
- Pre incorp expenses 269
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 240
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 230
- Slight twist on employment related securities 207
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 180
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 176