Purchase of commercial property
I am not feeling at my brightest today, having had some surgery yesterday, so I would be grateful if my fellow members could save me the mental effort of looking it up for myself.
VAT-unregistered new client company is buying commercial property (I believe a head lease, rather than the freehold) from a vendor who wants to charge VAT, so I assume that the vendor must have registered for VAT and opted to tax. I am therefore now registering my client for VAT.
- I am also applying for my client to opt to tax (isn't it good that you can do this all online now?), but is it necessary to opt to tax in order to reclaim any VAT charged on the sale of the property? I think it probably is because otherwise the property would be being acquired for the purpose of making exempt supplies of rent.
- The solicitor acting for my client is saying that registering for VAT (and perhaps, also opting to tax) are pre-requisites for the sale being treated as a TOGC, with which I am inclined to agree. Am I right that a sale of a let commercial property satisfies the rules for a TOGC?
- The solicitor is asking if we can serve on the vendor a notice under Article 5.2B of the VAT (Special Provisions) Order 1995 to say that it does not apply to my client. If it is a TOGC, why would we have to serve such a notice?
- Not really my concern, but the solicitor says that if VAT is charged (and reclaimed by my new client), SDLT would be payable on the price plus VAT. Is he right?
Thank you for any answers.
- Late Registration for VAT 460 13
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 133 11
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 42 1
- EIS/SEIS 121 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 247 1
- You know its over 139 2
- Cocaine anyone? 410 7
- TaxCalc Accounts production 384 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 384 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 644 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 512 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 531 4
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 65 1
- Personal pension 384 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 212 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,191 11
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 887 27
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 116 3
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,502 22
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 307 4
- Hive up 479
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 443
- corporate hierarchy 423
- Advice - 261
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 216
- WWOOFers 211
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 198
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 190
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 168
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 165