Purchase of commercial property
I am not feeling at my brightest today, having had some surgery yesterday, so I would be grateful if my fellow members could save me the mental effort of looking it up for myself.
VAT-unregistered new client company is buying commercial property (I believe a head lease, rather than the freehold) from a vendor who wants to charge VAT, so I assume that the vendor must have registered for VAT and opted to tax. I am therefore now registering my client for VAT.
- I am also applying for my client to opt to tax (isn't it good that you can do this all online now?), but is it necessary to opt to tax in order to reclaim any VAT charged on the sale of the property? I think it probably is because otherwise the property would be being acquired for the purpose of making exempt supplies of rent.
- The solicitor acting for my client is saying that registering for VAT (and perhaps, also opting to tax) are pre-requisites for the sale being treated as a TOGC, with which I am inclined to agree. Am I right that a sale of a let commercial property satisfies the rules for a TOGC?
- The solicitor is asking if we can serve on the vendor a notice under Article 5.2B of the VAT (Special Provisions) Order 1995 to say that it does not apply to my client. If it is a TOGC, why would we have to serve such a notice?
- Not really my concern, but the solicitor says that if VAT is charged (and reclaimed by my new client), SDLT would be payable on the price plus VAT. Is he right?
Thank you for any answers.
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 130 2
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,040 47
- CGT on lost shares/scam 368 4
- Setting up a practice 375 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 491 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 451 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 264 1
- Love is in the air 534 6
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 653 17
- Stamp Duty 294 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 238 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,805 21
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 586 5
- Incorporation of gp practise 264 1
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 262 9
- Client Paperwork Retention? 573 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 582 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 385 4
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 395 9
- Reimbursing director travel costs 455 6
- DTA tie-breaker issue 301
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 291
- CGT for NOn UK residents 280
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 276
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 254
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 240
- Apprenticeship Levy 238
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 225
- Capital Gains personal representatives 221
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 212