Purchase of commercial property
I am not feeling at my brightest today, having had some surgery yesterday, so I would be grateful if my fellow members could save me the mental effort of looking it up for myself.
VAT-unregistered new client company is buying commercial property (I believe a head lease, rather than the freehold) from a vendor who wants to charge VAT, so I assume that the vendor must have registered for VAT and opted to tax. I am therefore now registering my client for VAT.
- I am also applying for my client to opt to tax (isn't it good that you can do this all online now?), but is it necessary to opt to tax in order to reclaim any VAT charged on the sale of the property? I think it probably is because otherwise the property would be being acquired for the purpose of making exempt supplies of rent.
- The solicitor acting for my client is saying that registering for VAT (and perhaps, also opting to tax) are pre-requisites for the sale being treated as a TOGC, with which I am inclined to agree. Am I right that a sale of a let commercial property satisfies the rules for a TOGC?
- The solicitor is asking if we can serve on the vendor a notice under Article 5.2B of the VAT (Special Provisions) Order 1995 to say that it does not apply to my client. If it is a TOGC, why would we have to serve such a notice?
- Not really my concern, but the solicitor says that if VAT is charged (and reclaimed by my new client), SDLT would be payable on the price plus VAT. Is he right?
Thank you for any answers.
- Tech Champion of the Year 27 2
- Non-resident employer & employee 45 2
- Entrepeneurs Relief 105 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,278 65
- Boffin of the Year 523 17
- Non sequitur 388 5
- What is wrong with HMRC? 378 4
- Glass-half-full member of the year? 346 13
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 693 3
- SATR won't match P14 - what would you do? 93 3
- Vat on digital download of music 35 1
- equipment rental 138 6
- Help needed.... 121 2
- Claiming salary pre incorporation 81 1
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 433 7
- Freight Forwarders - VAT 125 4
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 364 6
- HMRC website error 184 1
- Fixed asset registers 188 7
- Has anyone got copies of the Tolley's CTA study manual pdfs from last year? 180 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,330
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 428
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 345
- Alphabet shares 228
- Agent fees to sell business 224
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 215
- Office recharges 175
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 160
- Charge out rates in London 151
- which entity 144