Purchase of commercial property
I am not feeling at my brightest today, having had some surgery yesterday, so I would be grateful if my fellow members could save me the mental effort of looking it up for myself.
VAT-unregistered new client company is buying commercial property (I believe a head lease, rather than the freehold) from a vendor who wants to charge VAT, so I assume that the vendor must have registered for VAT and opted to tax. I am therefore now registering my client for VAT.
- I am also applying for my client to opt to tax (isn't it good that you can do this all online now?), but is it necessary to opt to tax in order to reclaim any VAT charged on the sale of the property? I think it probably is because otherwise the property would be being acquired for the purpose of making exempt supplies of rent.
- The solicitor acting for my client is saying that registering for VAT (and perhaps, also opting to tax) are pre-requisites for the sale being treated as a TOGC, with which I am inclined to agree. Am I right that a sale of a let commercial property satisfies the rules for a TOGC?
- The solicitor is asking if we can serve on the vendor a notice under Article 5.2B of the VAT (Special Provisions) Order 1995 to say that it does not apply to my client. If it is a TOGC, why would we have to serve such a notice?
- Not really my concern, but the solicitor says that if VAT is charged (and reclaimed by my new client), SDLT would be payable on the price plus VAT. Is he right?
Thank you for any answers.
- Wrong career 67 4
- Adjusting over-provision of Corporation Tax in previous year 169 5
- Newsletter 230 5
- RTI Filing 1,750 22
- Would this save hours of your time? 70 1
- Fee's for P11D's 295 5
- Agent with HMRC 236 10
- Quarterly PAYE 213 7
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 42 1
- reporting salary? 167 3
- Payroll software : RTI submissions 316 16
- CGT on Inherited Property 271 2
- Employment Allowance related companies 95 3
- Value pricing 580 19
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 387 1
- Childcare Vouchers 172 3
- Audit Report Query 185 5
- Coming in from the cold 221 2
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 1,312 26
- VAT Query re: Foreign VAT 97 1
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 768
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 523
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 390
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 275
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 216
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 216
- Director Loan account operation 205
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 203
- Free Tax Legislation? 166
- vat return 166