Purchase of commercial property
I am not feeling at my brightest today, having had some surgery yesterday, so I would be grateful if my fellow members could save me the mental effort of looking it up for myself.
VAT-unregistered new client company is buying commercial property (I believe a head lease, rather than the freehold) from a vendor who wants to charge VAT, so I assume that the vendor must have registered for VAT and opted to tax. I am therefore now registering my client for VAT.
- I am also applying for my client to opt to tax (isn't it good that you can do this all online now?), but is it necessary to opt to tax in order to reclaim any VAT charged on the sale of the property? I think it probably is because otherwise the property would be being acquired for the purpose of making exempt supplies of rent.
- The solicitor acting for my client is saying that registering for VAT (and perhaps, also opting to tax) are pre-requisites for the sale being treated as a TOGC, with which I am inclined to agree. Am I right that a sale of a let commercial property satisfies the rules for a TOGC?
- The solicitor is asking if we can serve on the vendor a notice under Article 5.2B of the VAT (Special Provisions) Order 1995 to say that it does not apply to my client. If it is a TOGC, why would we have to serve such a notice?
- Not really my concern, but the solicitor says that if VAT is charged (and reclaimed by my new client), SDLT would be payable on the price plus VAT. Is he right?
Thank you for any answers.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 741 5
- See you all on the other side 762 6
- 12Pay 534 2
- dividends 739 2
- R&D 364 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,228 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 479 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 477 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 427 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 578 5
- Seeking a tax case 686 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 546 4
- Companies house strike off 656 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 481 2
- Moving to the cloud 786 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 230 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 947 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 233 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,120 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 536 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 577
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 431
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 381
- IRIS and FRS 102 367
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 352
- Marginal rates of tax 343
- Capitalising Finance Lease 343
- Class 2 NI 329
- USA help 328
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 311