Purchase of commercial property
I am not feeling at my brightest today, having had some surgery yesterday, so I would be grateful if my fellow members could save me the mental effort of looking it up for myself.
VAT-unregistered new client company is buying commercial property (I believe a head lease, rather than the freehold) from a vendor who wants to charge VAT, so I assume that the vendor must have registered for VAT and opted to tax. I am therefore now registering my client for VAT.
- I am also applying for my client to opt to tax (isn't it good that you can do this all online now?), but is it necessary to opt to tax in order to reclaim any VAT charged on the sale of the property? I think it probably is because otherwise the property would be being acquired for the purpose of making exempt supplies of rent.
- The solicitor acting for my client is saying that registering for VAT (and perhaps, also opting to tax) are pre-requisites for the sale being treated as a TOGC, with which I am inclined to agree. Am I right that a sale of a let commercial property satisfies the rules for a TOGC?
- The solicitor is asking if we can serve on the vendor a notice under Article 5.2B of the VAT (Special Provisions) Order 1995 to say that it does not apply to my client. If it is a TOGC, why would we have to serve such a notice?
- Not really my concern, but the solicitor says that if VAT is charged (and reclaimed by my new client), SDLT would be payable on the price plus VAT. Is he right?
Thank you for any answers.
- Family Partnership 324 10
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 1,251 24
- Moving to BTC from Sage Accounts Production 68 1
- Restriction of trading loss and overlap relief 188 3
- Multiple for fee bank purchase 220 5
- Business lending another business money (UK) 327 9
- Manufacturer cashback on fixed asset purchase 101 1
- Does anyone have an old version of Sage for sale? 318 7
- Problems viewing AWeb posts 208 5
- CIC Abbreviated Accounts 205 6
- Business trips - director and family 431 3
- Signed accounts for bank 678 15
- flat rate scheme 2,394 50
- Rollover relief - No new asset purchased 337 5
- Can I prepare dormant accounts? 219 2
- How do you integrate prepaid expenses in to the cash conversion cycle? 118 2
- What route into accountancy would you recommend? 879 12
- Deferring dividends on paper 224 5
- VAT Query on new build 137 1
- How to format Co-operative Accounts 135 1