Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- Sole Trader to Ltd 98 1
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 424 13
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 613 8
- VT accounts licence key 366 6
- Starting up in practice - safety net 419 9
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 490 10
- Opening balances Sage 50 47 1
- Flat rate vat 328 4
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 236 6
- Rental property company 182 2
- Can Excel sheets be imported into Digita Accounts Production Posting Sheets? 177 2
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 1,476 27
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,207 35
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 412 11
- How to avoid PAYE Registeration 320 4
- Payroo Employer allowance query 290 8
- Enforcing A CCJ 411 7
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 240 1
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 220 2
- Comapny valuation qualifications 170 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 832
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 576
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 449
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 323
- Free Tax Legislation? 302
- Director Loan account operation 284
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 270
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 262
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 244
- Paye procedures for CVA 184