Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- Double tax treaty Italy and UK 80 1
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 1,085 7
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 458 17
- Bereavment payment 47 1
- Can anyone advise on the best VAT Scheme to change to? 264 4
- Apologies for reposting this but first post was on Friday afternoon! 336 2
- CT600 Computations - Company Tax Return help 1,289 14
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 139 2
- Companies House incorporation service 335 12
- Factors affecting tax charge FRS 19 (marginal rate) 67 1
- P35 and Service Company questions 143 3
- VAT chargeable to conference attendees 189 6
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 193 1
- Long period of account for Corporation Tax 254 7
- Flat Rate VAT and EU sales (Non VAT) 136 3
- NIC £2000 Allowance - Care Support Worker 146 3
- VAT, vans, sole traders and business use. 1,594 12
- Share Capital 124 2
- Trading income or not? 185 1
- Charge HMRC 413 3
- Xtuple 545
- Qtac payroll for bureau 374
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 315
- Industrial & Provident Societies 312
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 288
- CIS schemes 220
- Domain name sale and limited company 204
- Investment 184
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 182
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 177