Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- Lack of VAT Receipt 96 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 305 6
- Benefit in Kind 282 6
- Help with CGT please 58 2
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 313 17
- Will I need to resign? 925 11
- Cocaine anyone? 657 11
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 252 4
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 144 4
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 187 3
- Allocation of Receipt from DWP 176 2
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 841 11
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 544 19
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 711 13
- Personal pension 444 9
- Business rates consultancy 269 4
- Wrong tax code 181 6
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 104 2
- Am I getting Soft?? 326 10
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,066 31
- Hive up 514
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 475
- corporate hierarchy 453
- Advice - 297
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 242
- WWOOFers 238
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 220
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 196
- The booking.com con 180
- UK State pension paid in NZ 168