Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- Auto Enrolment - Help each other by sharing known problems 714 13
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 803 1
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 460 10
- Real time 191 2
- Withdrawal of a quote 376 7
- Opt To Tax Refund 248 3
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 215 2
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 202 5
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 601 15
- When to top-up pensions? 163 2
- Support / ticketing software 328 11
- Are Tax Agents designed out of online systems? 325 3
- Imported goods and VAT 133 1
- Annual Return for company for whom director/shareholder has died 434 15
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 590 11
- Stamp Duty 173 3
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,863 22
- Company Number 10000000 993 13
- Online accounting provider for multicompany with turnover £10m 368 5
- CGT on lost shares/scam 234 3
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 470
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 288
- DTA tie-breaker issue 279
- CGT for NOn UK residents 242
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 219
- Apprenticeship Levy 216
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 209
- Just checking re PSA 195
- Capital Gains personal representatives 189
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 177