Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 234 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,037 14
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 228 8
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 657 19
- Tax Return Deadlines 212 4
- Year end 135 2
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 559 21
- How would you account for warranty? 143 4
- LLP - Member leaving 118 5
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 390 22
- Sweet Tooth 168 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 174 2
- trading or dormant 113 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 109 1
- tax credits 133 5
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 567 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 271 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 117 1
- Foreign income for self employed 133 1
- Sage help...written off bad debt, done year end now bad payer wants to start to pay 105 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 871
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 517
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 329
- How to format a stock book 309
- Tax efficient holding company structure 244
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 239
- Investment property company accounts template 225
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 219
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 191
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 162