Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- UK Accountancy Franchise 91 2
- Directors obligation to notify 34 1
- Lets hear it for HMRC! 228 2
- Don't HMRC collect CT anymore? 70 1
- Starting new accounting business 314 6
- Leaving the flat rate scheme 149 4
- error on companies house accounts 744 18
- RTI penalties 106 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 525 7
- Bookkeeping software for cafe and VAT 159 2
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 311 5
- US Sales Tax 113 1
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 372 15
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 202 3
- Simplified auto enrolment? 158 1
- Group Relief 132 4
- R&D Credits 105 1
- Is the annual Money Laundering Payment tax allowable 256 7
- VAT Reg.for sole trader with 2 S/E 138 2
- Clients 684 14
- QROP pension input amounts 501
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 482
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 445
- EPS and CIS deductions 302
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 291
- Construction CIS LLP Company 285
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 250
- SAGE winforecast 205
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 187
- Overdrawn director account 174