Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,023 1
- Share premium or Directors Loan 688 29
- Taxfiler V's BTC 886 34
- Transactions between Associated Companies 91 1
- Know it alls (who don't) 1,084 20
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 484 18
- I.d for vat registration 259 10
- Directors loan accounts 350 8
- Bookkeping software 895 9
- Can I zero rate the VAT? 286 6
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 280 9
- Accounting for VAT not yet paid in year end 247 4
- Contingent Liability - Copyright Dispute - Disclosure ? 229 6
- Auto Enrolment set up 341 2
- SA302's anyone?? 2,824 42
- VAT return - Box 7 & 9 Vat cash accounting 118 2
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 150 6
- Expense receipt from previous quarter not included in VAT return 187 3
- Employed clients and expenses 782 13
- FRS 102 Fair Value v open market value 125 2
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 535
- NOVA 485
- Bonus Bonds 370
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 352
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 272
- Payment for Promotional Samples 242
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 238
- Friendly Pensions 167
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 155
- Cash withdrawn and not accounted for 151