Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- VAT - Recharge 63 2
- Should Spanish VAT apply ? 340 4
- transitioning payroll 151 4
- Legal title not in the company name 168 9
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,548 59
- Should VAT be charged when land is transferred as part of a TOGC 151 3
- Deduction from Salary 195 5
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,740 30
- Car financed by employee 186 2
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 124 1
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 622 16
- PPR CGT section 222 builds an extension 157 3
- Dividend payment date 2,192 37
- VAT online filing exemptions 164 2
- Employed (by own company) and Self Employed - Tax Efficiency 180 2
- One off meeting new client 1,428 13
- Sole-trader renting commmercial property from himself & spouse. 308 6
- Child tax credits 232 4
- Car leasing scheme 226 1
- 12 Pay Problems 194 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 621
- Cancelled 360
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 305
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 278
- Probiz 267
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 225
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 222
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 199
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 169