Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- Anyone using PracticePA? 249 5
- Do your DIY clients ever get their books right ? 34 1
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 643 26
- Entrepreneur's Relief Query 161 3
- Tax - Paying Yearly 246 11
- Seeking advice: CGT after divorce when house sold and neither party was resident 191 3
- New company uses old Bank Account 230 3
- How do I correct a previous accountants major mistake on PAYE/SA? 456 5
- Sage Drive Queue.dta file lock out 334 8
- When is commencing trading not commening trading 183 3
- Income tax: Interaction between new marriage allowance and new nil band on savings interest 187 1
- charities 218 3
- How to find difference in Sage bank rec 280 6
- Auto enrollment. What's the basis for contribution ? 117 1
- converting garage to use as office 312 2
- recommended auto-enrolment pension scheme providers 657 13
- HOW is anyone obtaining an EORI number prior to shipment? 128 2
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,204 11
- Strike off 448 9
- Contracting, Subcontracting and Agency Worker Regs 152 2
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 378
- Any thoughts on Capium? 333
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 295
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 268
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 252
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 230
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 177
- French ConnectionUK 166
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 160
- APN's 159