Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- Companies Made Simple - I guess they don't want our business any more 119 2
- Fees 673 7
- Creation of leases out of freehold 153 2
- Selling Business 290 2
- P11D & tax return 180 7
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 2,303 50
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 435 6
- when is a bad debt a bad debt 93 1
- Capital Goods Scheme 124 6
- HMRC incompetency 355 2
- VAT - How hard is it? 2,110 59
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 727 22
- CGT Problem 855 7
- Concurrent users 346 6
- Just another average day trying to deal with HMRC 1,466 16
- Laptop help needed I bought the wrong operating system 465 9
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 244 1
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 2,204 13
- Late loss relief claim 126 1
- Losses carry forward to self employed 505 8
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 791
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 437
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 383
- Electric Car 324
- S222 Charge 261
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 234
- IP trans to holding company 207
- AIA 204
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 196
- Car used both in a partnership and sole trader business - how to claim capital allowances? 162