Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- Should I move back home away from my office? 352 8
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 480 7
- Entrepreneurs Relief 759 43
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 440 8
- Sage payroll alternatives 601 12
- More AE! 642 14
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 65 1
- IT advisory questions? 97 4
- Moneysoft and People's Pension 85 4
- PAYE 1,582 17
- Scanners 82 1
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 1,097 16
- Relevance of UK Residency 111 2
- VAT Tax Point - Overseas Purchase 109 3
- Invoice dispute 588 5
- DAILY PENALTIES / APPEALS 261 2
- Construction Industry Allowable expenses 422 9
- Property inheritance by overseas resident 98 1
- 2013-14 Tax Return-Transparent Benchmarks? 137 1
- IHT dilemma 1,344 20
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,141
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 792
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 479
- Digita Hosted Software 316
- Credit where credit's due....... 255
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 220
- Director phone costs 219
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 191
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 161
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 160