Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- Vat to be Paid? 50 2
- CGT base cost 238 9
- A little bit of politics 385 5
- Filling in my self assessment 488 8
- Should small companies be audited? 918 39
- You know you're an accountant when... 1,315 40
- Help required please 307 6
- What does PITA mean? 137 4
- Ultimate Controlling Party Disclosure Questions 205 5
- RSU and double taxation 140 1
- Help - ACCA uk practicing certification forms 153 2
- Can i really not unreconcile a vat return in sage? 77 1
- Assets transferred at cost 203 5
- currency exchange rates across FY 74 1
- Online behaviour and Aweb 737 7
- HP agreement in directors name 419 8
- Where has Portia gone? 8,725 142
- Mileage claim restriction 314 2
- Are We Charging Too Much? 954 25
- How do I tackle fraudulent use of a clients SA tax return? 503 5
- Sanzar 447
- Skype treating businesses as private consumers; no VAT invoices 406
- Digital marketing focus group 368
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 320
- Continuity Agreement 286
- career 284
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 262
- Buyback 260
- Sainsbury's mangement 247
- Avanti Accounts 231