Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 538 19
- Financial statements in Word, with formulas 1,458 17
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,041 35
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,193 44
- R&D tax claim 240 7
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 512 9
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 171 7
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 125 2
- Gift to employee 368 12
- Tax Allowance on University Course 142 1
- Transfer of a business 124 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,129 22
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 413 8
- VAT Cross Border Invoicing 114 2
- Sage Import Data 310 6
- Slight twist on employment related securities 242 1
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 119 2
- Best time software for small practice? 229 2
- Residents Association Corp Tax 318 13
- private to company car? 370 9
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 477
- CTA study material 453
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 330
- Pre incorp expenses 308
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 267
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 254
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 204
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 156
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 140
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 133