Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- Merger of Two companies 143 9
- Merging 283 4
- Merger of Two companies 361 16
- Why should I retain membership? 3,259 54
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 864 21
- Form 17 Joint tenancy v tenants in common 93 2
- CIC Dividend Cap 273 9
- Setting up direct debit on Clients bank accounts to collect monthly payments 195 8
- Unemployed Accounting Graduate - Need Advice - Small Firms 636 20
- NEGLIGIBLE VALUE CLAIMS 178 4
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 1,793 24
- New business - journal entries 539 24
- IFA incorporation problems 290 4
- Coding Notice 319 7
- Auto renewed contract, is this legal/enforceable?? 294 2
- PPR/CGT/Part-Disposal/Land 175 5
- nic class 1 on expenses mechanics 131 3
- IR35 Low, medium or high risk 197 1
- Wear and tear allowance 1,506 13
- Residency test 251 5
- Auto enrolment excuses 958
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 739
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 425
- Excuses, excuses!!! 305
- Digita Hosted Software 234
- Social investment tax relief 234
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 228
- Call Centre Data Costs 218
- Travel costs and contractors 198
- How could I be identified for VAT purposes in UK? 198