Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- Share swap 169 2
- Accountants' Error 826 17
- Previous accountant filed dormant accounts in error 324 3
- Unclaimed amortisation of goodwill 211 6
- Shareholder agreement 216 5
- Reverse charge - do you always book it? 151 3
- VAT - time of supply 67 2
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 323 3
- Top slicing relief question 105 1
- Let Property Campaign & DO2 100 1
- Regaining my qualification 300 3
- Scoot 253 5
- Remittances 126 1
- Import Sales Invoices into Sage Instant 117 1
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 230 1
- Corporation tax due date confusion 149 2
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,533 21
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 175 5
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 180 3
- Zero Rated VAT on New Building 183 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,461
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 779
- Any views 710
- HMRC Employers Diary 528
- International interest certificate 428
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 398
- Sale of business 360
- NOVA 266
- Advertising services? 263
- IRIS Open Books problem 257