Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- Capital Gains on Residential Property 258 19
- Contribution to charity as % of profit 264 14
- Non resident income. 154 9
- Taxable income from property and separation 53 2
- Goodwill adjustment 138 4
- Use of home deduction 313 11
- anyone using Office365 for practice management 953 29
- smp employee made redundant 85 1
- Do you lose losses on cessation 405 11
- How do you get HMRC to pay you SMP? 165 3
- Online SA303 Nine Digit UTR 154 4
- Buy to let property : Is parking bay tax deductible ? 151 4
- Software 101 2
- Notice of Coding 0T but not Month 1 266 7
- Knuckle down one week to go! 969 21
- client can't/won't pay 1,304 22
- Companies House late filing penalties 2,326 79
- Self assessment help 153 1
- Worried over stock value 430 13
- Terminal Trade Loss Relief 102 3
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 843
- Copy Wanted 577
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 523
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 503
- Latest phishing scam 376
- Entrepreneurs' relief 353
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 314
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 300
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 291
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 202