Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- Opening Balances 242 4
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,308 49
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 352 12
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 441 9
- Redoing accounts for mortgage lender 198 5
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 322 9
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 271 1
- Do I need a smartphone? 146 3
- Company struck off 149 4
- Employment Allowance 378 6
- West Bromich Albion 338 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,888 61
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 406 10
- 27,000 Really? 1,231 38
- Legal title not in the company name 821 23
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 622 7
- Tax Credits for Self Employed 183 1
- FRS12 Redundancy and notice period provision 120 1
- This is getting boring 659 12
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 291 7
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 646
- Cancelled 400
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 356
- Cancelled 345
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 312
- Probiz 307
- How not to compose an email 305
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 287
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 225
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 202