Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- Musician deductible expenses 73 1
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there....accountants need to help other accountants out :) 369 17
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 80 4
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 563 17
- Invoice or journal for inter-company transactions 84 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 276 8
- Tax Return Deadlines 136 2
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 531 11
- Flat rate vat error 332 7
- EC VAT 215 9
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 534 13
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 289 14
- can I claim a per diem 274 5
- s.755 ITA 2007 Gains on transactions in land 141 2
- Who picks up the slack? 1,385 8
- VAT on part of a closed pub 249 14
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 118 1
- HMRC corporation tax software - how to enter negative expense 303 8
- Dispensation pointless ? 541 14
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 869 19
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 844
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 509
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 322
- How to format a stock book 292
- Tax efficient holding company structure 234
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 230
- Investment property company accounts template 220
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 214
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 186
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 182