Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- Lunches 79 3
- Mortgage Adviser's request 338 8
- VAT on non-denominated postage 98 3
- Generic notification message 244 6
- Property Expenses 194 7
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 676 21
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 792 39
- Auto Enrolment (sorry) 68 1
- Tax relief for networking day out? 483 13
- Swiching tax 480 14
- Accrued salary unpaid 237 4
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 4,164 18
- Basis periods 72 1
- P&L Treatment of property assets 90 2
- CGT on spouse's death 294 11
- Starting Again 301 11
- CT101 Completion 137 1
- Non resident pension withdrawal 154 2
- P11D Software 787 9
- PAYE Dashboard inconsistency 207 4
- Construction CIS LLP Company 597
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 584
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 384
- Pensions Regulator 349
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 287
- Using the correct forms 263
- SA penalty proposals 254
- RTI - duplicate employee record 246
- Accelerated payment notices 230
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 221