Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 1,207 23
- VAT on new build property 196 3
- HMRC - Online services - Anyone else having problems ? 139 2
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 2,239 23
- Seeking advice: Do you pay tax on donations if you are not a registered charity? 362 5
- VAT Flat Rate Scheme 123 1
- Introduction of assets to Limited Company (Comic Books) 497 15
- Insurance provider not VAT registered so Out of Scope ? 283 9
- HMRC enquiry - PAYE error / RTI 152 1
- . 258 4
- 31st october deadline 268 5
- Ltd Co / Summer House 219 1
- Client right to working papers 1,699 16
- HMRC Debt collectors 1,447 7
- wills 294 3
- Capital Allowance on Vehicles - CT600 270 5
- BTL property and holdover or other relief 285 5
- Practicing without a Practicing Certificate 1,163 18
- HMRC Online Services Problems 510 12
- Moneysoft Payroll 462 12
- NHS finance professionals 689
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 418
- Foreign Pension Contribution 387
- vat gross profit percentage margins 376
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 375
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 365
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 319
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 294
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 257
- IFA income recognition & reporting 217