Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 630 5
- See you all on the other side 684 6
- 12Pay 452 2
- dividends 600 2
- R&D 312 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,175 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 436 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 399 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 369 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 539 5
- Seeking a tax case 638 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 503 4
- Companies house strike off 540 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 419 2
- Moving to the cloud 738 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 215 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 898 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 207 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,090 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 496 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 562
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 420
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 373
- IRIS and FRS 102 354
- Capitalising Finance Lease 325
- USA help 317
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 296
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 292
- Marginal rates of tax 285
- Class 2 NI 270