Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 58 1
- Payment plans for clients 24 1
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 375 2
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 179 6
- Should I move back home away from my office? 421 9
- P60 or payslips? 49 1
- Property income in different capacities 79 1
- Scanners 126 2
- IHT dilemma 1,364 21
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 175 1
- IT advisory questions? 152 5
- Entrepreneurs Relief 786 44
- Has anyone else come across VAT account suspensions? 108 1
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 508 7
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 457 8
- Sage payroll alternatives 622 12
- More AE! 646 14
- Moneysoft and People's Pension 133 4
- PAYE 1,641 17
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 1,121 16
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,151
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 794
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 482
- Digita Hosted Software 316
- Credit where credit's due....... 265
- Director phone costs 225
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 224
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 198
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 182
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 147