Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- How to walk away without questions 2,680 17
- IHT Query 401 9
- PPR for non-residents after 05 Apr 2015 63 1
- Takeover of Annual PAYE scheme 94 2
- Get it off your chest 206 4
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 247 7
- Directors bonus 122 2
- Auto Enrolment specialist service provider 77 1
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 264 3
- HMRC Unpaid Debt Collector 200 5
- do you receive fewer phone calls than some years back because of emails 139 3
- break even point 1,108 33
- The return 746 27
- Sell business after leaving country 322 6
- Profit & Loss accounts filling when tax is withheld overseas 88 2
- Charity accounting 70 2
- Closing down - who should buy whom? 1,003 44
- IHT on offshore settlement 150 2
- How best to declare a mistake on a tax return by previous agent 151 1
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 360 2
- Possible Partnership? 549
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 549
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 479
- New Fangled Penalties 347
- Clubs and Taxable Income 289
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 269
- Loans to other companies 214
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 207
- Outsource Data Entry 173
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 172