Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- Home to Office 164 5
- error on companies house accounts 377 10
- Investment property? 142 3
- Newly Started Practice 440 10
- Are these allowable capital expenditures for a jewellery retail shop? 187 2
- Property income 120 2
- VAT rules on Compensation invoice to EU company 91 3
- problems getting through to the ACCA technical helpline 209 5
- Clients 261 4
- Commission on holiday accrual 148 2
- Benefit in kind calc, s.106 ITEPA 194 4
- Any Answers changes - feedback required 3,440 111
- VAT reclaim on costs incurred for VAT exempt services 107 1
- IR35 calc - which months' E'ees NICs and PAYE to include? 139 3
- Excel 2010 pivot table rows 62 1
- VAT rules on recharge sales invoice 108 1
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 311 6
- Extension of lease in flat management company 166 2
- Client's company struck off 703 18
- 2010-11 tax return is incorrect 129 1
- QROP pension input amounts 482
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 453
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 423
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 273
- EPS and CIS deductions 269
- Construction CIS LLP Company 251
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 220
- SAGE winforecast 186
- Managing deliberate defaulters hmrc 177
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 174