Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 833 35
- Owners loan to business - is interest taxable 39 1
- Audit Required 1,163 22
- HMRC to sell our tax data to private companies 285 9
- Residential Management Companies 54 2
- Value pricing 2,831 37
- Problems with CT600 filing 380 5
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 363 11
- Payroll software for Mac 111 1
- Online / Cloud Data Back Up 90 2
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 207 5
- CIS and Close Company 193 6
- LLP members share of profits 623 32
- Late P800 demand shows later year? 421 20
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 133 4
- Employment support allowance and self employed 90 1
- Registered Office 89 2
- Winding up a beneficiary will trust 106 1
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 289 7
- VAT Box 7 and supplies from unregistered traders 538 17
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 934
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 658
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 387
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 329
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 253
- Paye procedures for CVA 244
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 239
- Expenses Re-imbursed on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 185
- Compliance Checks - Time limits 181
- Pension Fixed Protection 180