Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- Company car but paying for insurance personally - reduces benefit in kind? 118 9
- AIA 74 4
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 168 3
- Anyone else still working this week? 47 2
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,469 44
- Taxation of the sale Record rights 78 1
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 348 18
- Cocaine anyone? 789 13
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 347 7
- Benefit in Kind 400 9
- How much does the company pay 257 5
- Lack of VAT Receipt 223 4
- Am I getting Soft?? 458 11
- Personal pension 496 11
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 652 22
- FAO BTC tech geek type people 170 2
- Help with CGT please 170 3
- BA Cabin Crew Employment Expenses 1,506 5
- Will I need to resign? 985 11
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 288 4
- Hive up 527
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 486
- corporate hierarchy 460
- Advice - 309
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 254
- WWOOFers 249
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 227
- The booking.com con 213
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 205
- Cocaine anyone? 193