Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- Flat rate vat 269 3
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 218 6
- Rental property company 161 2
- Can Excel sheets be imported into Digita Accounts Production Posting Sheets? 148 2
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 396 12
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 416 9
- Starting up in practice - safety net 317 8
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 1,460 27
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,178 35
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 381 11
- How to avoid PAYE Registeration 283 4
- Payroo Employer allowance query 277 8
- Enforcing A CCJ 396 7
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 194 1
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 214 2
- Comapny valuation qualifications 159 2
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 534 5
- Director's tax return 417 8
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 199 3
- Coming in from the cold 419 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 831
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 575
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 446
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 323
- Free Tax Legislation? 297
- Director Loan account operation 282
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 269
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 262
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 241
- Paye procedures for CVA 183