Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- Freelance/Employee 635 16
- Recommendations for online payroll software 181 1
- . 168 1
- Accountant Specialization. 248 2
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 228 4
- Rectify overpaid childcare vouchers, how? 158 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 159 6
- Claiming VAT on car lease 435 27
- Capital Gains Tax on property with multiple uses 85 1
- Returning papers to ex-clients 592 7
- How to network with other Accountants? 676 5
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 118 2
- Agent Authorisation Issue 179 2
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 325 6
- Is it just me ... 277 5
- Duplicating Sales and COS but does not impacting bottom line? Legal? 282 4
- CIS registration when already registered for PAYE 113 4
- HMRC Agent Accounts - PAYE 346 10
- Taxable Benefit for Director? 222 1
- Directors exempt from AE? 1,532 18
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 745
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 405
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 354
- Electric Car 288
- S222 Charge 237
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 185
- IP trans to holding company 183
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 171
- AIA 166
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 163