Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- How much does the company pay 107 3
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 873 12
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 562 20
- BA Cabin Crew Employment Expenses 1,476 5
- Help with CGT please 97 3
- Lack of VAT Receipt 133 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 312 6
- Benefit in Kind 318 6
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 327 17
- Will I need to resign? 950 11
- Cocaine anyone? 683 11
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 262 4
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 170 4
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 206 3
- Allocation of Receipt from DWP 183 2
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 730 13
- Personal pension 459 9
- Business rates consultancy 279 4
- Wrong tax code 201 6
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 120 2
- Hive up 523
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 479
- corporate hierarchy 458
- Advice - 302
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 250
- WWOOFers 246
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 225
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 202
- The booking.com con 193
- Cocaine anyone? 176