Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- Fixed Assets 240 3
- What are options for non CA firm 1,641 25
- Dividends with an annual profit but retained losses 133 1
- How to make restoration of corrupted excel 2007 file? 122 1
- Anyone come across this shower before? 1,902 35
- Real names 1,139 34
- Do I need to pay Capital Gain Tax 526 23
- What are the tax implications of employer paying my tuition fees? 175 1
- Company Secretarial Software 1,385 30
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 690 9
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 242 7
- Tools for conversion OST to PST files 127 1
- FRS to standard - check my understanding 141 2
- Tick & Bash Bristol 308 5
- sole trader employing his girlfriend 2,009 17
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 1,980 11
- Can Sage 50 Forecasting work with Excel 2013 or Office 365 98 1
- What do "Former Contracted Out" rebates mean 130 1
- Downloads EU VAT from 1/1/15 167 4
- Are pre trading lossess able to be off set if the company does not trade? 131 2
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 584
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 456
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 355
- IFA incorporation 339
- Sorry ignore me 328
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 281
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 274
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 264
- Cancelled 208
- property ownership between husband wife three taxpayers 178