Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- &^$%ing Mollom? 159 2
- Spam blocking 260 13
- Just for fun. 762 25
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 277 5
- Employment status 245 4
- Has auto-enrolment tipped the scales? 76 1
- Splitting PAYE tax code between two jobs both with variable hours 55 2
- P11D help 80 2
- VAT on purchase of plant from Germany 135 4
- Contract Hire Van, reclaiming input VAT 112 1
- P11DX: change of requirement by HMRC 1,706 12
- HMRC Email 366 6
- Landlord possible penalties for late registration for self assessment 251 10
- KPMG email campaign and impact on market 1,383 21
- A little silliness 144 1
- Where do I declare dividends in HMRC's Computations software ? 237 6
- Ex-gratia payments 252 5
- Directors Remuneration 876 26
- Can we learn from the financial services industry? 124 1
- How to pay national insurance 521 16
- Theatre Tax Relief 485
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 381
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 374
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 348
- Perkbox 312
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 307
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 273
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 271
- Document Management Systems 253
- WIP Software 233