Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- Categories on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 266 4
- Annual director payments for a small limited company 233 5
- Relevant life plan 223 6
- Flat Rate VAT - reclaiming VAT on Capital Purchase (bought on lease hire) 140 4
- The return 935 28
- Directors loan - no longer a director 108 1
- Why .... 540 6
- HMRC Unpaid Debt Collector 516 10
- Any advice on large 55 inch + computer monitor 145 1
- Pylon compensation - what am I missing? 383 6
- NI Contributions in order to claim state pension 466 10
- Limited Company expenses 290 7
- Formating cells in Excel 274 6
- UK taxation of income from property in Cyprus 190 4
- Advice needed for Annual Accounting Period - companies house 294 8
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 613 17
- Freehold Property Depreciation 356 15
- VAT - E-commerce site (middle man only) - like Not on the high street 116 2
- More Auto enrolment (sorry) 720 2
- Claiming VAT without invoice 323 4
- Possible Partnership? 578
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 494
- New Fangled Penalties 384
- Clubs and Taxable Income 312
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 286
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 235
- Loans to other companies 234
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 200
- Outsource Data Entry 192
- Moving away from CCH software 177