Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- The Cotter Case 169 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 88 3
- HMRC Accounts Office - waiting an hour! 123 2
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 18 1
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 935 16
- Sole Trader business 149 1
- Transfer of sole trade to ltd co 149 1
- How will the taxation of non-residents landlord work? 143 1
- Giving a seminar 680 36
- Tax position on lease extension 174 1
- Boffin of the Year 293 10
- deleting customers on Sage 50 217 8
- Using Director's bank account to receive payment from customer 235 4
- Sage Depreciation 75 1
- Non sequitur 248 2
- Am i Liable? 874 21
- Sale of business being paid by deferred payments by buyer 169 1
- tax relief for the cost of trade marks 155 1
- Interest on main residence mortgage then lent to a company 72 1
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 475 10
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,293
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 639
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 422
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 331
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 261
- Alphabet shares 219
- Agent fees to sell business 212
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 206
- Office recharges 169
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 148