Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- Anybody still doing returns? 310 11
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 621 14
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 348 6
- no utr 141 7
- LLP formed in 2013 36 1
- Tax Returns for non residents 124 1
- client can't/won't pay 2,048 47
- Capital Loss 28 2
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 66 2
- Clothing 454 11
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 197 8
- File Abbreviated LLP accounts online? 137 7
- Practice management 424 8
- Interest on pre-letting? 107 4
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 1,666 44
- Will simplified micro entities accounts result in loss of business ? 1,693 22
- Rent a room scheme query. 226 4
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 305 13
- Why do I do this every year 581 13
- HMRC filing meltdown? 738 24
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 941
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 658
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 609
- Latest phishing scam 589
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 426
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 319
- Scratch Head 254
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 243
- Sabbatical payments 208
- Negligible Value Claim 185