Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 316 10
- HMRC Post 493 6
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 266 9
- Non VAT invoices 176 4
- Time to ditch Sage? 191 2
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 175 2
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,380 32
- Fees 209 1
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 248 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 211 2
- Form 17 Download 137 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 545 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 377 4
- HMRC Information notice 989 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 274 3
- Accountant Specialization. 383 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,759 42
- Sage Line 50 176 3
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 197 1
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 463 6
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 759
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 414
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 364
- Electric Car 299
- S222 Charge 245
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 207
- IP trans to holding company 195
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 184
- AIA 180
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 178