Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- Can I claim mileage? 69 1
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 169 9
- client threatening legal action 1,799 28
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 680 8
- Partially exempt? 239 9
- Reclaiming EU VAT on fuel and expenses 90 1
- First VAT Visit for client 230 4
- Dividend in specie 227 7
- Lorry Drivers 139 2
- Redundancy payment added to p45 103 1
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 100 1
- Mexican student in UK 119 2
- PI insurance for Auto Enrolment 199 3
- Accounting Practice acting as an employment agency 303 12
- payroll software 133 1
- No Tax Returns submitted for last 16 years 1,053 25
- Complicated Company car purchase 112 1
- Pricing 333 10
- Late VAT registration penalty 252 5
- VAT 118 2
- Skandia using wrong address 489
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 278
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 274
- Employee rewards 258
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 226
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 217
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 215
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 213
- Etax Australian 172
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 160