Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- Moneysoft and People's Pension 50 3
- Entrepreneurs Relief 719 38
- IT advisory questions? 52 2
- PAYE 1,519 17
- Should I move back home away from my office? 281 5
- More AE! 618 13
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 459 6
- Scanners 57 1
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 1,067 16
- Relevance of UK Residency 100 2
- VAT Tax Point - Overseas Purchase 100 3
- Invoice dispute 569 5
- DAILY PENALTIES / APPEALS 248 2
- Construction Industry Allowable expenses 412 9
- Property inheritance by overseas resident 89 1
- 2013-14 Tax Return-Transparent Benchmarks? 119 1
- IHT dilemma 1,329 20
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 2,091 18
- SA -2012_13 return - worth changing? 218 3
- Seting up a Direct Debit for PAYE 173 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,137
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 790
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 475
- Digita Hosted Software 313
- Credit where credit's due....... 253
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 218
- Director phone costs 211
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 183
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 159
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 144