Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- Accountancy Career 345 5
- Accounts Software 182 6
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 2,371 22
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,706 39
- Holiday Pay whilst on Mat Leave 114 1
- HMRC Agents Line 226 4
- calculation DTR restriction 98 1
- Company Director In Prison 470 11
- SMP reclaimable by employer 96 1
- AWeb - download file 192 3
- Charity work 253 11
- Help with HMRC investigation 276 6
- Director Drawings 209 5
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 282 13
- Managing Employee Expenses 242 7
- Collection or business assets 118 1
- Incorporated when they should not have 280 8
- Tax position re this lease? 374 9
- Do I need a smartphone? 736 23
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 110 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 686
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 528
- Cancelled 430
- Cancelled 366
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 363
- Probiz 338
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 329
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 244
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 218
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 204