Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 164 3
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 982 49
- Sole Trader - Working from home claims 80 2
- incorrect PAYE statements 28 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,370 422
- What accounting software packages are best for restaurants? 289 7
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 59 5
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 276 1
- References for clients 89 1
- corp tax software 285 5
- Opening start-up business bank accounts 178 3
- how to start a career in accounting at 34? 149 2
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 554 24
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 342 16
- Is this fraud? 557 12
- Likely interaction of new Onshore Employment Intermediaries Act with IR35 ? 93 1
- Furnished lettings criteria 280 4
- Sole trader - Normal Bank account used for business? 106 1
- VAT registration pre-incorporation- wait for TOGC or treat as sale? 162 4
- Naming new company 327 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,290
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 458
- National Insurance 354
- Non Resident 273
- Franchise income and costs 247
- Hands on experience of Digita 206
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 161
- Employer's Helpline 154
- employment capital allowances 144
- CIS paid under reg 9 133