Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- Limited company built a property and the client has made this messy 265 7
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 540 9
- Transferring rental property to limited company 485 14
- Are there Sage Instant Accounts Plus report which give breakdowns of the debtors and creditors control account balances by invoice for each currency? 103 3
- Time recording 159 3
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 257 4
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 147 2
- Land Registry 272 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 967 13
- Auto Enrolment 673 4
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 808 19
- Company Number 10000000 411 4
- Advertising Tips? 334 7
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,519 29
- IR35 369 5
- Exclusion of single director companies from the Employment Allowance in 2016/17 428 12
- Revenue phishing examples 271 1
- iris update 11.9.2 238 2
- VAT Box 7 and supplies from unregistered traders 452 13
- 2015 tax year end 547 1
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 734
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 435
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 374
- Costly Accounting Software contract 369
- Directors' advances and credits 286
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 260
- DTA tie-breaker issue 251
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 235
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 210
- CGT for NOn UK residents 195