Purchase order accounting entries
I've spent a good chunk of my day trying to unravel a messy purchase order situation and wanted to make sure I'm not going mad.
The way I see it the whole purchase order thing should work a little like this:-
- PO is raised for goods and services - No impact on accounting records
- Goods and received and in good order etc etc - DR to P&L expense, CR to accruals in the balance sheet
- Invoice comes in from supplier - DR the accrual above, CR Supplier/Purchase ledger
I guess my question is two fold......
1. am i right in saying no entry should hit the accounting records until the goods are received (the accrual stage above)
2. shouldnt a fully integrated system such as SAP, Oracle etc etc create that accrual for you (and subsequently get rid of it when the supplier invoice is matched)
The records im looking at just now show maual accruals for goods received where no invoice has been received and I'm begining to panic a little.
Can someone at least tell me that my theory is sound?
I need a drink................
Thanks in advance!
- Capital introduction 186 6
- CIS Deductions 299 9
- Inheritance Tax Advice 202 3
- Tax on selling a sole trader business 136 8
- Final accounts - procedure 66 1
- Accountex flash mob 251 7
- Getting fees, getting harder? 1,110 28
- What are the tax implications of bringing funds into the UK from abroad? 230 3
- Property sale split between years 244 9
- Spousal transfer and PPR 351 10
- Group structure - transfer of shares 65 2
- Classes 2 and 4 NI for sole trader also employed 166 3
- Cycle to work 115 1
- Career advice for ex HMRC Inspector 755 17
- CGT on residential property for a non resident and PPR relief 148 2
- Rogue Accountant 1,270 36
- Direct payment schene 118 4
- Employment Allowance 101 1
- New desktop accounting and payroll, help, please 238 7
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 1,153 37
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 642
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 405
- Pensions Regulator 379
- RTI - duplicate employee record 328
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 325
- Using the correct forms 300
- SA penalty proposals 298
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 282
- Digital marketing focus group 198
- Sage Vat return box 2 194