Purchased goodwill or lease?
I have picked up two new clients and both are new start-ups. How do I deal with the initial cost of purchase?
- Retail Shop selling clothes – The client paid £30,000 for the 2 year lease renewable. The lease is purchased from previous occupant with permission from the landlord and the client pays market rent of £2,000 per month to the landlord; At renewal the client will pay just the legal costs of renewing the lease for further 5 years. The client bought all his stock from his suppliers, (no stock was bought from previous occupants). The client sets up a new company under new name. (previously same trade carried out in the premises under different name).
Is the £30,000 treated as goodwill? Or a lease? And how is this depreciated? 2 year?
Just to add to the twist, The company was setup in April 2011 with YE 31 March 2012.On 30May 2012, the client sold the business for £55,000 1 year lease including £15,000 stock, I don’t have the full details, however, client will keep trading under same name as wholesaler from different premises.
- Chips shop – The client paid £19,000 upfront for the shop, this includes all catering equipment and pays market rent of £800 per month, rental agreement is 4 years. Again client will trade under new name. How is the £19,000 treated in the accounts?
I am assuming in both cases the initial amount is a goodwill. However, both companies are trading under new name and have not used previous occupants brand/reputation/colouring scheme etc. I appreciate all your comments.
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,625 67
- Starting an accountancy practice for bachelors? 56 2
- Penalties 108 1
- SAGE con 214 4
- rates of pay query 213 3
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 84 2
- Recommendation for a good website on exchange rate forecast 134 10
- Pension contributions higher rate extension? 196 1
- Trading Structure / Illegal Trading 100 1
- Overpayment relief claim 152 5
- Charity reserves 129 3
- Have i messed up? 662 10
- Year end 355 4
- Test purchases in VAT enquiries 216 3
- Comments on this scenario 93 1
- Related Parties Note 418 9
- Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) 103 1
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 128 4
- loss on carbon credits 110 2
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 591 9
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,009
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 547
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 361
- Tax efficient holding company structure 287
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 276
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 214
- Charge out rates in London? 209
- Personal consumption by landlord 183
- Interest on Loan to a Company 174
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 150