Query re: Late Registration
I've recently taken on a new partnership client who did not appoint an accountant from the beginning and unfortunately has ended up with a bit of a mess. Not only did they register late for PAYE (this issue has been dealt with), I've now discovered they have done the same thing regarding notifying HMRC of commencement of the partnership.
On appointing me, they advised me the date the business began to trade was 31-10-2011 and provided me with all the UTR numbers, tax returns for the year ended 5th April 2012 where duly issed by HMRC, however, I've now discovered a partnership agreement which states that the partnership shall be deemed to have commenced on 05/11/2010.
I've been advised the reason why the didn't register with HMRC until Oct-2011 is because no actual turnover earned until then. They're involved in Childcare so had a lenghty period between incurring costs to start the business and actually being granted all the necessary permissions to work with children and getting access to premises.
In the first year they only incurred costs to get the business started, there was no actual tax loss to HMRC and therefore, I understand, no penalties will be charged under the new regime. On that basis and as no actual turnover was earned until Oct-2011, would you go through the process of formally notifying HMRC of the late registration in the first place or instead bring in the costs as pre trading expenditure?
Appreciate any comments.
- Employee overpaid who has left 99 2
- Sorry ignore me 795 22
- VAT On Conference Sponsorship 194 4
- Is this a scam? 442 6
- Rental property: expenses when up for sale and not let 255 4
- How do I calculate the VAT due (cash basis) on receipts which suffer a cis deduction? 225 5
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 255 6
- reliable alternative to registered ofice required 231 5
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,186 17
- Childcare for clients 156 1
- One off meeting new client 518 9
- Employment allowance (again) :( 142 1
- illegal dividends 325 3
- Should Spanish VAT apply ? 188 3
- VAT questions 311 4
- Limited Company keeping receipts 124 1
- CG34 approved "without prejudice" 236 3
- SAGE V12 178 4
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 2,360 21
- Invoice Help 137 3
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 617
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 526
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 379
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 290
- Cancelled 276
- Cancelled 239
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 183
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 180
- Probiz 164
- What's the market like for temps? 158