Query re: Late Registration
I've recently taken on a new partnership client who did not appoint an accountant from the beginning and unfortunately has ended up with a bit of a mess. Not only did they register late for PAYE (this issue has been dealt with), I've now discovered they have done the same thing regarding notifying HMRC of commencement of the partnership.
On appointing me, they advised me the date the business began to trade was 31-10-2011 and provided me with all the UTR numbers, tax returns for the year ended 5th April 2012 where duly issed by HMRC, however, I've now discovered a partnership agreement which states that the partnership shall be deemed to have commenced on 05/11/2010.
I've been advised the reason why the didn't register with HMRC until Oct-2011 is because no actual turnover earned until then. They're involved in Childcare so had a lenghty period between incurring costs to start the business and actually being granted all the necessary permissions to work with children and getting access to premises.
In the first year they only incurred costs to get the business started, there was no actual tax loss to HMRC and therefore, I understand, no penalties will be charged under the new regime. On that basis and as no actual turnover was earned until Oct-2011, would you go through the process of formally notifying HMRC of the late registration in the first place or instead bring in the costs as pre trading expenditure?
Appreciate any comments.
- Jointly owned property 254 6
- Interim Accountants through Ltd co basis 116 1
- Going to miss CT filing deadline 72 2
- We contribute a percentage of employees' salaries to a pension scheme set up by them - do we need to get involved in auto-enrolment? 357 4
- Annual director payments for a small limited company 255 6
- Flat Rate Job Expenses 98 1
- Categories on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 269 4
- Relevant life plan 240 6
- Flat Rate VAT - reclaiming VAT on Capital Purchase (bought on lease hire) 153 4
- The return 965 28
- Directors loan - no longer a director 129 1
- Why .... 567 6
- HMRC Unpaid Debt Collector 529 10
- Any advice on large 55 inch + computer monitor 160 1
- Pylon compensation - what am I missing? 390 6
- NI Contributions in order to claim state pension 469 10
- Limited Company expenses 299 7
- Formating cells in Excel 281 6
- UK taxation of income from property in Cyprus 196 4
- Advice needed for Annual Accounting Period - companies house 308 8
- Possible Partnership? 579
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 494
- New Fangled Penalties 386
- Clubs and Taxable Income 312
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 286
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 235
- Loans to other companies 234
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 200
- Outsource Data Entry 192
- Moving away from CCH software 179