Query re: Late Registration
I've recently taken on a new partnership client who did not appoint an accountant from the beginning and unfortunately has ended up with a bit of a mess. Not only did they register late for PAYE (this issue has been dealt with), I've now discovered they have done the same thing regarding notifying HMRC of commencement of the partnership.
On appointing me, they advised me the date the business began to trade was 31-10-2011 and provided me with all the UTR numbers, tax returns for the year ended 5th April 2012 where duly issed by HMRC, however, I've now discovered a partnership agreement which states that the partnership shall be deemed to have commenced on 05/11/2010.
I've been advised the reason why the didn't register with HMRC until Oct-2011 is because no actual turnover earned until then. They're involved in Childcare so had a lenghty period between incurring costs to start the business and actually being granted all the necessary permissions to work with children and getting access to premises.
In the first year they only incurred costs to get the business started, there was no actual tax loss to HMRC and therefore, I understand, no penalties will be charged under the new regime. On that basis and as no actual turnover was earned until Oct-2011, would you go through the process of formally notifying HMRC of the late registration in the first place or instead bring in the costs as pre trading expenditure?
Appreciate any comments.
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,291 35
- Expedia say that they can't give me a VAT invoice 652 13
- OneNote is fantastic 150 3
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,104 21
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 55 1
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 314 5
- Fees to charge for Auto enrolment Pension for small Employers 220 2
- PPR on a development? 224 4
- PAYE – Directors NI 325 7
- Do I walk away from these accounts? 892 19
- Private Residence Relief 1,788 15
- Cloud accounting package 183 1
- Incorporation after the start of trading 1,023 39
- Setting up offshore to avoid paying VAT 511 15
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 304 6
- Offshore company (Guernsey / Isle of Man) 198 3
- Next Move 400 12
- Ltd Co and 'grant' income 415 7
- when to file SA return if closed SA in the middle of the year 232 4
- Large PAYE tax refund to Employee 349 3
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 637
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 395
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 395
- Property letting & CAs 381
- 2015 tax year end 375
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 373
- FCA regulated company in a small group 336
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 240
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 229
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 223