Query re: Late Registration
I've recently taken on a new partnership client who did not appoint an accountant from the beginning and unfortunately has ended up with a bit of a mess. Not only did they register late for PAYE (this issue has been dealt with), I've now discovered they have done the same thing regarding notifying HMRC of commencement of the partnership.
On appointing me, they advised me the date the business began to trade was 31-10-2011 and provided me with all the UTR numbers, tax returns for the year ended 5th April 2012 where duly issed by HMRC, however, I've now discovered a partnership agreement which states that the partnership shall be deemed to have commenced on 05/11/2010.
I've been advised the reason why the didn't register with HMRC until Oct-2011 is because no actual turnover earned until then. They're involved in Childcare so had a lenghty period between incurring costs to start the business and actually being granted all the necessary permissions to work with children and getting access to premises.
In the first year they only incurred costs to get the business started, there was no actual tax loss to HMRC and therefore, I understand, no penalties will be charged under the new regime. On that basis and as no actual turnover was earned until Oct-2011, would you go through the process of formally notifying HMRC of the late registration in the first place or instead bring in the costs as pre trading expenditure?
Appreciate any comments.
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 284 1
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 1,368 39
- How to deal with a prior year CT adjustment 106 4
- When does my Property business start 134 2
- Employment status 475 9
- Foreign Premium Distributions 150 1
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 781 15
- Company Pension Contributions 165 3
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 128 1
- Simple Ltd company accounts service 377 9
- Seafarers Earnings Deduction - how is Gibraltar treated? 187 5
- Preparing a consolidated TB 145 3
- How to Value a Business 397 7
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 1,119 19
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 127 2
- Fastest Software 528 7
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 2,579 68
- Vat threshold issues 1,459 12
- Charging for book-keeping on a 'per transaction' basis 786 19
- How much did you pay for your website 415 12
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 585
- CTA study material 584
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 354
- Employment related securities question 217
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 190
- ATED Penalties 182
- AIM Stocks and IHT 169
- Trust for Employee 121
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 119
- Expat pension contributions? 115