Query re: Late Registration
I've recently taken on a new partnership client who did not appoint an accountant from the beginning and unfortunately has ended up with a bit of a mess. Not only did they register late for PAYE (this issue has been dealt with), I've now discovered they have done the same thing regarding notifying HMRC of commencement of the partnership.
On appointing me, they advised me the date the business began to trade was 31-10-2011 and provided me with all the UTR numbers, tax returns for the year ended 5th April 2012 where duly issed by HMRC, however, I've now discovered a partnership agreement which states that the partnership shall be deemed to have commenced on 05/11/2010.
I've been advised the reason why the didn't register with HMRC until Oct-2011 is because no actual turnover earned until then. They're involved in Childcare so had a lenghty period between incurring costs to start the business and actually being granted all the necessary permissions to work with children and getting access to premises.
In the first year they only incurred costs to get the business started, there was no actual tax loss to HMRC and therefore, I understand, no penalties will be charged under the new regime. On that basis and as no actual turnover was earned until Oct-2011, would you go through the process of formally notifying HMRC of the late registration in the first place or instead bring in the costs as pre trading expenditure?
Appreciate any comments.
- When to include value of import in Box 7 59 1
- employer pension contributions - OMB company 159 2
- Accounts production software license expiry & possible alternatives 298 7
- Capital gain? 76 3
- Are clients getting more stupid? 1,244 21
- Construction Industry Allowable expenses 264 8
- Recharge for private use of a company car 346 8
- How could I be identified for VAT purposes in UK? 412 8
- vat help for catering concession 274 10
- IHT dilemma 1,153 17
- Tax return software for remote working 230 3
- CGT 331 14
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 318 1
- Interest paid to non-UK company - Deduction 107 2
- Compliance check 509 13
- sole trader accountant 783 14
- Entrepreneurs Relief 400 15
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 603 21
- More AE! 498 11
- How to classify an asset 157 3
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,079
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 777
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 462
- Digita Hosted Software 279
- Call Centre Data Costs 251
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 223
- Credit where credit's due....... 216
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 204
- Married Couples Allowance wasted? 185
- Director phone costs 149