Query re: Late Registration
I've recently taken on a new partnership client who did not appoint an accountant from the beginning and unfortunately has ended up with a bit of a mess. Not only did they register late for PAYE (this issue has been dealt with), I've now discovered they have done the same thing regarding notifying HMRC of commencement of the partnership.
On appointing me, they advised me the date the business began to trade was 31-10-2011 and provided me with all the UTR numbers, tax returns for the year ended 5th April 2012 where duly issed by HMRC, however, I've now discovered a partnership agreement which states that the partnership shall be deemed to have commenced on 05/11/2010.
I've been advised the reason why the didn't register with HMRC until Oct-2011 is because no actual turnover earned until then. They're involved in Childcare so had a lenghty period between incurring costs to start the business and actually being granted all the necessary permissions to work with children and getting access to premises.
In the first year they only incurred costs to get the business started, there was no actual tax loss to HMRC and therefore, I understand, no penalties will be charged under the new regime. On that basis and as no actual turnover was earned until Oct-2011, would you go through the process of formally notifying HMRC of the late registration in the first place or instead bring in the costs as pre trading expenditure?
Appreciate any comments.
- First VAT Visit for client 37 1
- Auto-Enrolment 3,725 177
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 95 3
- capital gains on PPR 1,419 21
- cost of moving out for a few weeks 265 9
- Tax question about small group and how to set up 224 14
- Accounting Practice acting as an employment agency 202 10
- Incorporation Relief 85 1
- What type of Trust? 141 3
- What is 'an asset' for A/A+B CGT? 127 5
- OBK 581 19
- Instant CPD offer 129 2
- Dividend in specie 120 2
- Investor exit 104 2
- Withholding Tax - Invoicing Ecuador 162 4
- Flat Rate Scheme - Joining date 77 1
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,751 26
- Sage error message 152 2
- Partially exempt? 181 5
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 535 5
- Skandia using wrong address 465
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 269
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 264
- Employee rewards 256
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 216
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 208
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 207
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 192
- Etax Australian 165
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 154