Query re: Late Registration
I've recently taken on a new partnership client who did not appoint an accountant from the beginning and unfortunately has ended up with a bit of a mess. Not only did they register late for PAYE (this issue has been dealt with), I've now discovered they have done the same thing regarding notifying HMRC of commencement of the partnership.
On appointing me, they advised me the date the business began to trade was 31-10-2011 and provided me with all the UTR numbers, tax returns for the year ended 5th April 2012 where duly issed by HMRC, however, I've now discovered a partnership agreement which states that the partnership shall be deemed to have commenced on 05/11/2010.
I've been advised the reason why the didn't register with HMRC until Oct-2011 is because no actual turnover earned until then. They're involved in Childcare so had a lenghty period between incurring costs to start the business and actually being granted all the necessary permissions to work with children and getting access to premises.
In the first year they only incurred costs to get the business started, there was no actual tax loss to HMRC and therefore, I understand, no penalties will be charged under the new regime. On that basis and as no actual turnover was earned until Oct-2011, would you go through the process of formally notifying HMRC of the late registration in the first place or instead bring in the costs as pre trading expenditure?
Appreciate any comments.
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 45 1
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,260 8
- RTI and corrections to payroll 1,235 13
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 976 29
- You know its over 375 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 506 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 246 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 196 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 181 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 289 3
- Cocaine anyone? 531 8
- Late Registration for VAT 500 13
- EIS/SEIS 158 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 285 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 435 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 434 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 734 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 566 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 602 4
- Personal pension 408 9
- Hive up 497
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 465
- corporate hierarchy 447
- Advice - 278
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 230
- WWOOFers 224
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 212
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 208
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 187
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 181