Query re: Late Registration
I've recently taken on a new partnership client who did not appoint an accountant from the beginning and unfortunately has ended up with a bit of a mess. Not only did they register late for PAYE (this issue has been dealt with), I've now discovered they have done the same thing regarding notifying HMRC of commencement of the partnership.
On appointing me, they advised me the date the business began to trade was 31-10-2011 and provided me with all the UTR numbers, tax returns for the year ended 5th April 2012 where duly issed by HMRC, however, I've now discovered a partnership agreement which states that the partnership shall be deemed to have commenced on 05/11/2010.
I've been advised the reason why the didn't register with HMRC until Oct-2011 is because no actual turnover earned until then. They're involved in Childcare so had a lenghty period between incurring costs to start the business and actually being granted all the necessary permissions to work with children and getting access to premises.
In the first year they only incurred costs to get the business started, there was no actual tax loss to HMRC and therefore, I understand, no penalties will be charged under the new regime. On that basis and as no actual turnover was earned until Oct-2011, would you go through the process of formally notifying HMRC of the late registration in the first place or instead bring in the costs as pre trading expenditure?
Appreciate any comments.
- Any Scottish members out there? 7,581 283
- planning to be self employed bookkeeper what do i need to do before i start? 133 2
- Disclosure of pending convertible loan notes? 209 10
- Standard 'email' template system 866 14
- New Client in dispute with old accountant 445 9
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,019 14
- How to complete annual VAT return online? 210 4
- Irish VAT Deferred payment 78 1
- Circular shareholding 218 6
- Starting as sole trader from abroad 182 6
- business card address 286 8
- VAT relief eligibilty for charity buying minibus 210 2
- Declined for business bank account 201 4
- Loan to a related company 96 1
- Artificially reducing profits by bonus accrual 651 26
- Repairs after a rental business ends 329 10
- Can anyone recommend a good document scanner? 254 8
- property rental income split 121 1
- Expenses of overseas employment 133 2
- UK RESIDENT IN RECEIPT OF USA PENSION 104 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,112
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 364
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 300
- National Insurance 269
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 239
- Payments on account coded out?? 228
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 220
- Non Resident 186
- Franchise income and costs 175
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 173