Query re: Late Registration
I've recently taken on a new partnership client who did not appoint an accountant from the beginning and unfortunately has ended up with a bit of a mess. Not only did they register late for PAYE (this issue has been dealt with), I've now discovered they have done the same thing regarding notifying HMRC of commencement of the partnership.
On appointing me, they advised me the date the business began to trade was 31-10-2011 and provided me with all the UTR numbers, tax returns for the year ended 5th April 2012 where duly issed by HMRC, however, I've now discovered a partnership agreement which states that the partnership shall be deemed to have commenced on 05/11/2010.
I've been advised the reason why the didn't register with HMRC until Oct-2011 is because no actual turnover earned until then. They're involved in Childcare so had a lenghty period between incurring costs to start the business and actually being granted all the necessary permissions to work with children and getting access to premises.
In the first year they only incurred costs to get the business started, there was no actual tax loss to HMRC and therefore, I understand, no penalties will be charged under the new regime. On that basis and as no actual turnover was earned until Oct-2011, would you go through the process of formally notifying HMRC of the late registration in the first place or instead bring in the costs as pre trading expenditure?
Appreciate any comments.
- 27,000 Really? 1,046 33
- Legal title not in the company name 765 23
- FRS12 Redundancy and notice period provision 62 1
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 70 1
- This is getting boring 581 12
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 234 7
- pension paid by company? 90 3
- inheritance tax 400 12
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 323 9
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 220 4
- State pension 290 3
- Accountancy Career 108 1
- CIC Company 654 13
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,817 22
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,276 66
- Deduction from Salary 641 15
- Bank account of a different company being used for transactions. 431 5
- Group Audit Thresholds 352 10
- One off meeting new client 1,688 16
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 311 3
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 639
- Cancelled 393
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 353
- Cancelled 334
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 307
- Probiz 301
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 278
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 258
- How not to compose an email 249
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 221