Query re: Late Registration
I've recently taken on a new partnership client who did not appoint an accountant from the beginning and unfortunately has ended up with a bit of a mess. Not only did they register late for PAYE (this issue has been dealt with), I've now discovered they have done the same thing regarding notifying HMRC of commencement of the partnership.
On appointing me, they advised me the date the business began to trade was 31-10-2011 and provided me with all the UTR numbers, tax returns for the year ended 5th April 2012 where duly issed by HMRC, however, I've now discovered a partnership agreement which states that the partnership shall be deemed to have commenced on 05/11/2010.
I've been advised the reason why the didn't register with HMRC until Oct-2011 is because no actual turnover earned until then. They're involved in Childcare so had a lenghty period between incurring costs to start the business and actually being granted all the necessary permissions to work with children and getting access to premises.
In the first year they only incurred costs to get the business started, there was no actual tax loss to HMRC and therefore, I understand, no penalties will be charged under the new regime. On that basis and as no actual turnover was earned until Oct-2011, would you go through the process of formally notifying HMRC of the late registration in the first place or instead bring in the costs as pre trading expenditure?
Appreciate any comments.
- Newly Started Practice 412 10
- Are these allowable capital expenditures for a jewellery retail shop? 171 2
- Property income 103 2
- VAT rules on Compensation invoice to EU company 90 3
- error on companies house accounts 347 9
- problems getting through to the ACCA technical helpline 203 5
- Home to Office 116 3
- Clients 233 4
- Commission on holiday accrual 140 2
- Benefit in kind calc, s.106 ITEPA 183 4
- Any Answers changes - feedback required 3,435 111
- VAT reclaim on costs incurred for VAT exempt services 102 1
- IR35 calc - which months' E'ees NICs and PAYE to include? 136 3
- Excel 2010 pivot table rows 58 1
- VAT rules on recharge sales invoice 105 1
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 308 6
- Extension of lease in flat management company 162 2
- Client's company struck off 696 18
- 2010-11 tax return is incorrect 122 1
- Overtime etc for PT employees 218 3
- QROP pension input amounts 481
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 451
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 423
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 273
- EPS and CIS deductions 269
- Construction CIS LLP Company 249
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 220
- SAGE winforecast 186
- Managing deliberate defaulters hmrc 175
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 174