Query re: Late Registration
I've recently taken on a new partnership client who did not appoint an accountant from the beginning and unfortunately has ended up with a bit of a mess. Not only did they register late for PAYE (this issue has been dealt with), I've now discovered they have done the same thing regarding notifying HMRC of commencement of the partnership.
On appointing me, they advised me the date the business began to trade was 31-10-2011 and provided me with all the UTR numbers, tax returns for the year ended 5th April 2012 where duly issed by HMRC, however, I've now discovered a partnership agreement which states that the partnership shall be deemed to have commenced on 05/11/2010.
I've been advised the reason why the didn't register with HMRC until Oct-2011 is because no actual turnover earned until then. They're involved in Childcare so had a lenghty period between incurring costs to start the business and actually being granted all the necessary permissions to work with children and getting access to premises.
In the first year they only incurred costs to get the business started, there was no actual tax loss to HMRC and therefore, I understand, no penalties will be charged under the new regime. On that basis and as no actual turnover was earned until Oct-2011, would you go through the process of formally notifying HMRC of the late registration in the first place or instead bring in the costs as pre trading expenditure?
Appreciate any comments.
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 912 44
- Tier One Tribunal 112 7
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 809 26
- Prompt Payment Discount (PPD) Vat 2015 - CREDIT PRIOR INVOICE 112 1
- Pooled cars legislation unfairly punitive 76 2
- New starter not showing on RTI FPS submission (MoneySoft payroll) 246 5
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 131 2
- Another transfer of property 124 2
- VAT on non-denominated postage 209 7
- Taxi Plate & Car 105 1
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 565 11
- LEL and PAYE registration 99 1
- Employmnet Allowance 2015/2016 173 2
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 180 1
- Tax relief for networking day out? 557 14
- SA316s 222 3
- Swiching tax 546 15
- Proposal to strike off...... 534 10
- Can I recharge Car loan interest 397 11
- Start-up cost recognition 133 1
- Construction CIS LLP Company 612
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 595
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 389
- Pensions Regulator 357
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 294
- Using the correct forms 268
- RTI - duplicate employee record 264
- SA penalty proposals 258
- Accelerated payment notices 238
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 235