Questions about Xero functionality
I use QuickBooks 2008 (local PC version) to run my small consultancy business and have found it to be more than capable of meeting our needs. But there is a lot of fuss about Xero (and web based accounting systems generally) in the press so I thought I would evaluate it by signing up for a trial [before Intuit figures out another way to get me to upgrade :) ].
I found Xero very easy to get into, setup and use but I have run into a few 'difficulties' and I wonder if any Accounting Web readers (or Xero!) might be able to tell me where I am going wrong? Many thanks in advance!
I would like a two-level Chart of Accounts so that some accounts are sub-accounts of others. Is this possible?
What is the purpose of the account numbers (e.g. 200 Sales). Why not just have Sales? The numbers do not appear to determine where the account 'sits' in the P&L.
I want to report all P&L transactions for a certain analysis code e.g. Salesman=Fred. I can see the mechanism to categorise transactions (tracking) but none of the transactional reports then allow you to select by tracking code.
If I must have account numbers then I want to be able to report on a range of accounts e.g. accounts 500 to 599. But none of the reports allows filtering / selection of data by a range of accounts. This is related to my question (above) as to the purpose of the account numbers.
Finally, the expense claim facility seems odd to me. My process is to journal the expenses into the relevant expense accounts with the balancing entry as the relevant director's Directors Loan account. We then periodically clear the Directors Loan accounts using a bank to D/L transaction. The expense processing in Xero appears to expect payment in cash to be the clearing mechanism which does not work well for directors who may have numerous entries in their D/L before the account is cleared.
Possibly I am missing the point somewhere, but unless I am missing the point, the functionality and particularly the reporting in Quickbooks (local PC software) seems to be ahead.
Any advice gratefully received.
Happy new Year everyone!
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,240 32
- Married woman dies owning marital home 450 5
- first year company tax return for a limited company 1,424 28
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,251 25
- Dividend dates 433 7
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 180 5
- Not a good start no broadband 453 10
- DEATH OF A SHAREHOLDER NO SHAREHOLDER AGREEMENT 127 2
- is this fraud? 702 12
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 698 14
- new software IXBRL and Accounts production? 195 2
- PPR CGT section 222 builds an extension 68 1
- Intrastat triangulation 63 1
- CGT 147 3
- Supplier refund treatment in Sage Line 50 186 4
- Question regarding gym training 376 6
- Sage Starting Again As Records are in a mess 166 3
- CIS Deductions 234 1
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 422 8
- Property initial recognition 166 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 585
- Cancelled 342
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 328
- Cancelled 280
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 250
- Probiz 234
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 174
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 173
- Car leasing scheme 165
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 150