Questions about Xero functionality
I use QuickBooks 2008 (local PC version) to run my small consultancy business and have found it to be more than capable of meeting our needs. But there is a lot of fuss about Xero (and web based accounting systems generally) in the press so I thought I would evaluate it by signing up for a trial [before Intuit figures out another way to get me to upgrade :) ].
I found Xero very easy to get into, setup and use but I have run into a few 'difficulties' and I wonder if any Accounting Web readers (or Xero!) might be able to tell me where I am going wrong? Many thanks in advance!
I would like a two-level Chart of Accounts so that some accounts are sub-accounts of others. Is this possible?
What is the purpose of the account numbers (e.g. 200 Sales). Why not just have Sales? The numbers do not appear to determine where the account 'sits' in the P&L.
I want to report all P&L transactions for a certain analysis code e.g. Salesman=Fred. I can see the mechanism to categorise transactions (tracking) but none of the transactional reports then allow you to select by tracking code.
If I must have account numbers then I want to be able to report on a range of accounts e.g. accounts 500 to 599. But none of the reports allows filtering / selection of data by a range of accounts. This is related to my question (above) as to the purpose of the account numbers.
Finally, the expense claim facility seems odd to me. My process is to journal the expenses into the relevant expense accounts with the balancing entry as the relevant director's Directors Loan account. We then periodically clear the Directors Loan accounts using a bank to D/L transaction. The expense processing in Xero appears to expect payment in cash to be the clearing mechanism which does not work well for directors who may have numerous entries in their D/L before the account is cleared.
Possibly I am missing the point somewhere, but unless I am missing the point, the functionality and particularly the reporting in Quickbooks (local PC software) seems to be ahead.
Any advice gratefully received.
Happy new Year everyone!
- Donaldson v HMRC - result?? 1,018 12
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 1,220 31
- Simple Ltd company accounts service 127 4
- Would this fall into IR35 129 3
- Charging for book-keeping on a 'per transaction' basis 633 17
- ECSL 179 3
- Company Pension Contributions 43 1
- Let Property Campaign 281 5
- New Club 105 2
- Company Accounts - Limited company 419 4
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,588 28
- How much did you pay for your website 227 9
- Who can I refer leads to? 1,234 17
- Self employment trap - pension 123 1
- DTL adjustement in P &L 206 5
- Preparing a consolidated TB 75 1
- Computers & Network Depreciation 164 3
- Capital Allowances and Hire Purchase 194 3
- Awkward IP 390 3
- R & D 201 2
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 580
- CTA study material 571
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 342
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 267
- Employment related securities question 211
- CCJ and Shareholder/ Director ramifications 181
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 179
- ATED Penalties 178
- AIM Stocks and IHT 163
- Foreign Premium Distributions 135