Questions about Xero functionality
I use QuickBooks 2008 (local PC version) to run my small consultancy business and have found it to be more than capable of meeting our needs. But there is a lot of fuss about Xero (and web based accounting systems generally) in the press so I thought I would evaluate it by signing up for a trial [before Intuit figures out another way to get me to upgrade :) ].
I found Xero very easy to get into, setup and use but I have run into a few 'difficulties' and I wonder if any Accounting Web readers (or Xero!) might be able to tell me where I am going wrong? Many thanks in advance!
I would like a two-level Chart of Accounts so that some accounts are sub-accounts of others. Is this possible?
What is the purpose of the account numbers (e.g. 200 Sales). Why not just have Sales? The numbers do not appear to determine where the account 'sits' in the P&L.
I want to report all P&L transactions for a certain analysis code e.g. Salesman=Fred. I can see the mechanism to categorise transactions (tracking) but none of the transactional reports then allow you to select by tracking code.
If I must have account numbers then I want to be able to report on a range of accounts e.g. accounts 500 to 599. But none of the reports allows filtering / selection of data by a range of accounts. This is related to my question (above) as to the purpose of the account numbers.
Finally, the expense claim facility seems odd to me. My process is to journal the expenses into the relevant expense accounts with the balancing entry as the relevant director's Directors Loan account. We then periodically clear the Directors Loan accounts using a bank to D/L transaction. The expense processing in Xero appears to expect payment in cash to be the clearing mechanism which does not work well for directors who may have numerous entries in their D/L before the account is cleared.
Possibly I am missing the point somewhere, but unless I am missing the point, the functionality and particularly the reporting in Quickbooks (local PC software) seems to be ahead.
Any advice gratefully received.
Happy new Year everyone!
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,304 47
- Self assesment losses 346 9
- Can a small company buy a painting as an investment? 237 2
- Payroll Software Recommendations 24 1
- Disposal of an opted property 198 3
- Industrial & Provident Societies 364 2
- Fee protection 968 19
- Payroll systems 433 8
- View on Absolute Accounts Integrated vs PTP vs IRIS 188 3
- dividend 268 12
- overdrawn directors loan 288 6
- Irish Taxation 175 6
- Employee becoming shareholder - can salary be reduced with compensating dividends? 70 1
- Incorporation and goodwill 127 2
- RTI and s18 ITEPA 202 3
- Advertising with Hibu nee Yell (Yellow Pages) 281 4
- What happens to the director's loan if the company was to go into liquidation? 143 1
- Telephone call from "Xero" 466 5
- Error on SA Tax Return 165 3
- Purchase of shares in a Limited Company 170 5
- Xtuple 568
- Qtac payroll for bureau 388
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 344
- Domain name sale and limited company 239
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 214
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 212
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 185
- Tax on damages received 184
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 152
- Accounts consolidation spreadsheet 142