Questions about Xero functionality
I use QuickBooks 2008 (local PC version) to run my small consultancy business and have found it to be more than capable of meeting our needs. But there is a lot of fuss about Xero (and web based accounting systems generally) in the press so I thought I would evaluate it by signing up for a trial [before Intuit figures out another way to get me to upgrade :) ].
I found Xero very easy to get into, setup and use but I have run into a few 'difficulties' and I wonder if any Accounting Web readers (or Xero!) might be able to tell me where I am going wrong? Many thanks in advance!
I would like a two-level Chart of Accounts so that some accounts are sub-accounts of others. Is this possible?
What is the purpose of the account numbers (e.g. 200 Sales). Why not just have Sales? The numbers do not appear to determine where the account 'sits' in the P&L.
I want to report all P&L transactions for a certain analysis code e.g. Salesman=Fred. I can see the mechanism to categorise transactions (tracking) but none of the transactional reports then allow you to select by tracking code.
If I must have account numbers then I want to be able to report on a range of accounts e.g. accounts 500 to 599. But none of the reports allows filtering / selection of data by a range of accounts. This is related to my question (above) as to the purpose of the account numbers.
Finally, the expense claim facility seems odd to me. My process is to journal the expenses into the relevant expense accounts with the balancing entry as the relevant director's Directors Loan account. We then periodically clear the Directors Loan accounts using a bank to D/L transaction. The expense processing in Xero appears to expect payment in cash to be the clearing mechanism which does not work well for directors who may have numerous entries in their D/L before the account is cleared.
Possibly I am missing the point somewhere, but unless I am missing the point, the functionality and particularly the reporting in Quickbooks (local PC software) seems to be ahead.
Any advice gratefully received.
Happy new Year everyone!
- Statement of Accounts 30 3
- GP's Annual Certificate of Pensionable Profits - Multiple Practices 125 2
- Any Answers changes - feedback required 2,793 91
- Solicitor wants to rent room in my office but 79 2
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 192 7
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 221 2
- Who's going to the next Tick & Bash? 183 3
- Transfer of Software to sister company 169 2
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 321 4
- What rent was paid for income tax purposes? 138 1
- CGT history of shares 235 4
- Client Entertainment to get new business or referral as opposed to say thanks 279 3
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 388 6
- CGT on sale of let property 166 2
- how do i get UTR 206 3
- Input VAT suffered in EU 117 2
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 274 3
- Your comments please 365 6
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 224 9
- CT600 deadline & shortened year end 162 2
- Moving away from CCH software 980
- QROP pension input amounts 456
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 402
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 388
- fraud 309
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 291
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 249
- Construction CIS LLP Company 234
- EPS and CIS deductions 228
- Out of time or not? 215