Questions about Xero functionality
I use QuickBooks 2008 (local PC version) to run my small consultancy business and have found it to be more than capable of meeting our needs. But there is a lot of fuss about Xero (and web based accounting systems generally) in the press so I thought I would evaluate it by signing up for a trial [before Intuit figures out another way to get me to upgrade :) ].
I found Xero very easy to get into, setup and use but I have run into a few 'difficulties' and I wonder if any Accounting Web readers (or Xero!) might be able to tell me where I am going wrong? Many thanks in advance!
I would like a two-level Chart of Accounts so that some accounts are sub-accounts of others. Is this possible?
What is the purpose of the account numbers (e.g. 200 Sales). Why not just have Sales? The numbers do not appear to determine where the account 'sits' in the P&L.
I want to report all P&L transactions for a certain analysis code e.g. Salesman=Fred. I can see the mechanism to categorise transactions (tracking) but none of the transactional reports then allow you to select by tracking code.
If I must have account numbers then I want to be able to report on a range of accounts e.g. accounts 500 to 599. But none of the reports allows filtering / selection of data by a range of accounts. This is related to my question (above) as to the purpose of the account numbers.
Finally, the expense claim facility seems odd to me. My process is to journal the expenses into the relevant expense accounts with the balancing entry as the relevant director's Directors Loan account. We then periodically clear the Directors Loan accounts using a bank to D/L transaction. The expense processing in Xero appears to expect payment in cash to be the clearing mechanism which does not work well for directors who may have numerous entries in their D/L before the account is cleared.
Possibly I am missing the point somewhere, but unless I am missing the point, the functionality and particularly the reporting in Quickbooks (local PC software) seems to be ahead.
Any advice gratefully received.
Happy new Year everyone!
- Which tax returns can I submit? 178 5
- Cocaine anyone? 898 15
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 260 5
- Vat on new builds 66 1
- Using home as clients registered address 244 5
- VAT MOSS registration 99 1
- Anyone else still working this week? 473 15
- How much does the company pay 824 35
- HMRC property income enquiry 459 10
- Proof of identification 142 2
- When to provide S419 tax in the accounts 168 4
- Sole Trader change of accounting date 126 1
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 313 5
- Childcare vouchers 375 8
- Is this a qualifying loan for interest deductions? 109 2
- New Enterprise Allowance 101 1
- VAT Notice 700/64 - claiming VAT on motor repairs 97 1
- two business from one premises 197 3
- VAT transfer on going concern on incorporation 77 1
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 382 4
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 516
- corporate hierarchy 480
- Advice - 333
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 281
- WWOOFers 270
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 262
- The booking.com con 258
- Cocaine anyone? 238
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 234
- UK State pension paid in NZ 183