Questions about Xero functionality
I use QuickBooks 2008 (local PC version) to run my small consultancy business and have found it to be more than capable of meeting our needs. But there is a lot of fuss about Xero (and web based accounting systems generally) in the press so I thought I would evaluate it by signing up for a trial [before Intuit figures out another way to get me to upgrade :) ].
I found Xero very easy to get into, setup and use but I have run into a few 'difficulties' and I wonder if any Accounting Web readers (or Xero!) might be able to tell me where I am going wrong? Many thanks in advance!
I would like a two-level Chart of Accounts so that some accounts are sub-accounts of others. Is this possible?
What is the purpose of the account numbers (e.g. 200 Sales). Why not just have Sales? The numbers do not appear to determine where the account 'sits' in the P&L.
I want to report all P&L transactions for a certain analysis code e.g. Salesman=Fred. I can see the mechanism to categorise transactions (tracking) but none of the transactional reports then allow you to select by tracking code.
If I must have account numbers then I want to be able to report on a range of accounts e.g. accounts 500 to 599. But none of the reports allows filtering / selection of data by a range of accounts. This is related to my question (above) as to the purpose of the account numbers.
Finally, the expense claim facility seems odd to me. My process is to journal the expenses into the relevant expense accounts with the balancing entry as the relevant director's Directors Loan account. We then periodically clear the Directors Loan accounts using a bank to D/L transaction. The expense processing in Xero appears to expect payment in cash to be the clearing mechanism which does not work well for directors who may have numerous entries in their D/L before the account is cleared.
Possibly I am missing the point somewhere, but unless I am missing the point, the functionality and particularly the reporting in Quickbooks (local PC software) seems to be ahead.
Any advice gratefully received.
Happy new Year everyone!
- Goodwill adjustment 130 4
- Capital Gains on Residential Property 239 17
- Non resident income. 147 8
- Taxable income from property and separation 32 1
- Use of home deduction 297 11
- anyone using Office365 for practice management 949 29
- smp employee made redundant 69 1
- Do you lose losses on cessation 402 11
- How do you get HMRC to pay you SMP? 148 3
- Online SA303 Nine Digit UTR 150 4
- Buy to let property : Is parking bay tax deductible ? 144 4
- Software 85 2
- Notice of Coding 0T but not Month 1 265 7
- Knuckle down one week to go! 964 21
- client can't/won't pay 1,293 22
- Companies House late filing penalties 2,321 79
- Self assessment help 151 1
- Worried over stock value 429 13
- Terminal Trade Loss Relief 95 3
- Does anyone know the phone number for Bootle compliance? 73 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 843
- Copy Wanted 576
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 522
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 503
- Latest phishing scam 374
- Entrepreneurs' relief 353
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 313
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 300
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 291
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 201