Questions about Xero functionality
I use QuickBooks 2008 (local PC version) to run my small consultancy business and have found it to be more than capable of meeting our needs. But there is a lot of fuss about Xero (and web based accounting systems generally) in the press so I thought I would evaluate it by signing up for a trial [before Intuit figures out another way to get me to upgrade :) ].
I found Xero very easy to get into, setup and use but I have run into a few 'difficulties' and I wonder if any Accounting Web readers (or Xero!) might be able to tell me where I am going wrong? Many thanks in advance!
I would like a two-level Chart of Accounts so that some accounts are sub-accounts of others. Is this possible?
What is the purpose of the account numbers (e.g. 200 Sales). Why not just have Sales? The numbers do not appear to determine where the account 'sits' in the P&L.
I want to report all P&L transactions for a certain analysis code e.g. Salesman=Fred. I can see the mechanism to categorise transactions (tracking) but none of the transactional reports then allow you to select by tracking code.
If I must have account numbers then I want to be able to report on a range of accounts e.g. accounts 500 to 599. But none of the reports allows filtering / selection of data by a range of accounts. This is related to my question (above) as to the purpose of the account numbers.
Finally, the expense claim facility seems odd to me. My process is to journal the expenses into the relevant expense accounts with the balancing entry as the relevant director's Directors Loan account. We then periodically clear the Directors Loan accounts using a bank to D/L transaction. The expense processing in Xero appears to expect payment in cash to be the clearing mechanism which does not work well for directors who may have numerous entries in their D/L before the account is cleared.
Possibly I am missing the point somewhere, but unless I am missing the point, the functionality and particularly the reporting in Quickbooks (local PC software) seems to be ahead.
Any advice gratefully received.
Happy new Year everyone!
- Company Payroll 232 3
- How do I tackle fraudulent use of a clients SA tax return? 1,134 8
- Late leaver notification 401 8
- What does PITA mean? 879 22
- Any printer recommendations? 227 7
- PAYE & NIC 321 22
- Corporation Tax disallowed entertaining 290 5
- Interim dividends 232 6
- proposed dividends 713 23
- Business loan not in client's name 130 1
- Car fuel benefit - changing basis 178 2
- VAT on Exhibition services 164 4
- Dates, more dates and cessation 143 2
- Out of date tax returns 301 2
- Filling in my self assessment 1,004 17
- ACCA CPD verifiable units 199 2
- Any chance of winning an Appeal with HRMC for late self assessment charges 395 7
- Deductible or not ? Working out of hotels /coffee shops 491 6
- FPS responses ... 561 16
- Nominal Codes 303 9
- Sanzar 503
- Digital marketing focus group 403
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 383
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 346
- Sainsbury's mangement 341
- Continuity Agreement 332
- Avanti Accounts 331
- Buyback 290
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 238
- Aggresive sales from Iris 212