Quickbooks and finacial year
I did a clients accounts last year and dated some of the last receipts for the 3rd April. I printed it all out, checked it and did his tax return. This year I entered all his receipts and expenses and again printed it all out and did a draft of his tax return, BUT on checking I stumbled accross an error. Those recepts with a date of 3rd April did not appear in last year's printouts but with this year's as the software goes to 31st March for the financial year not 5th April. In future I can work round this but the problem is now.
I have entered £500 too little on last year's return as a result. I can think of three possible solutions bearing in mind that over the two years the amount of tax and NI will be the same no matter which scenario is used. I will have to phone the tax office anyway as my client opted to pay the tax via his tax code and this does not appear to have happened.
Possibility 1. I leave last year's return as it stands and enter the extra receipts on this year's. I could also make a note in the return that this is what has happened.
Possibility 2. I amend last year's return and the date for the offending payments in Quickbooks so that I enter this year's figures without problem.
Possibility 3. I phone the tax office and ask thm what I should do.
Has anyone else had to deal with this? What should I do?
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 117 3
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 405 4
- sole trader - operating under cis 71 2
- What does it mean?? 352 11
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 286 13
- VAT on motor expenses 896 32
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 71 1
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,707 22
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,308 40
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 102 1
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 140 3
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 167 7
- Introduction of Goodwill 203 5
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 160 4
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 749 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 392 12
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 211 9
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 334 11
- Sage 50 (2010) 118 2
- Recommendation of US tax adviser? 97 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,548
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 853
- International interest certificate 472
- NOVA 329
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 237
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 222
- Management expenses for investment company 210
- Bonus Bonds 209
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 207
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 194