Quickbooks and finacial year
I did a clients accounts last year and dated some of the last receipts for the 3rd April. I printed it all out, checked it and did his tax return. This year I entered all his receipts and expenses and again printed it all out and did a draft of his tax return, BUT on checking I stumbled accross an error. Those recepts with a date of 3rd April did not appear in last year's printouts but with this year's as the software goes to 31st March for the financial year not 5th April. In future I can work round this but the problem is now.
I have entered £500 too little on last year's return as a result. I can think of three possible solutions bearing in mind that over the two years the amount of tax and NI will be the same no matter which scenario is used. I will have to phone the tax office anyway as my client opted to pay the tax via his tax code and this does not appear to have happened.
Possibility 1. I leave last year's return as it stands and enter the extra receipts on this year's. I could also make a note in the return that this is what has happened.
Possibility 2. I amend last year's return and the date for the offending payments in Quickbooks so that I enter this year's figures without problem.
Possibility 3. I phone the tax office and ask thm what I should do.
Has anyone else had to deal with this? What should I do?
- RTI and s18 ITEPA 188 3
- Advertising with Hibu nee Yell (Yellow Pages) 258 4
- Incorporation and goodwill 59 1
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,189 47
- What happens to the director's loan if the company was to go into liquidation? 68 1
- Telephone call from "Xero" 437 5
- Error on SA Tax Return 124 3
- dividend 175 10
- Purchase of shares in a Limited Company 134 5
- Repairs or Improvement? 256 5
- Credit Card Payment - What are we required to do? 183 3
- Irish Taxation 148 4
- Now the phishers have baited their hooks with SAGE 320 2
- Self assessment tax arrears 517 6
- Drector renting room to company 107 1
- Off site storage 164 5
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 604 6
- Anyone know about Cloud-Based Practice Management Software? 256 7
- Industrial & Provident Societies 351 1
- Auto-enrolment - Fees 338 4
- Xtuple 568
- Qtac payroll for bureau 388
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 343
- Domain name sale and limited company 234
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 212
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 211
- Can a small company buy a painting as an investment? 209
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 183
- Tax on damages received 182
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 152