Quickbooks and finacial year
I did a clients accounts last year and dated some of the last receipts for the 3rd April. I printed it all out, checked it and did his tax return. This year I entered all his receipts and expenses and again printed it all out and did a draft of his tax return, BUT on checking I stumbled accross an error. Those recepts with a date of 3rd April did not appear in last year's printouts but with this year's as the software goes to 31st March for the financial year not 5th April. In future I can work round this but the problem is now.
I have entered £500 too little on last year's return as a result. I can think of three possible solutions bearing in mind that over the two years the amount of tax and NI will be the same no matter which scenario is used. I will have to phone the tax office anyway as my client opted to pay the tax via his tax code and this does not appear to have happened.
Possibility 1. I leave last year's return as it stands and enter the extra receipts on this year's. I could also make a note in the return that this is what has happened.
Possibility 2. I amend last year's return and the date for the offending payments in Quickbooks so that I enter this year's figures without problem.
Possibility 3. I phone the tax office and ask thm what I should do.
Has anyone else had to deal with this? What should I do?
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 292 11
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 280 6
- Dress code 906 22
- How much did you pay for your website 1,572 27
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax Consultancy 2014 560 4
- Interest relief before property is rented out 145 2
- Dividend 352 6
- FRS and Debtors 174 2
- What's in a name ? 559 6
- Helping out a friend 457 8
- Problem with CT600 return boxes AC229 & AC230 (Accelerated capital allowances) 237 7
- Use of Home for Sole Trader 413 5
- ACCA practice certificates 353 4
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,291 36
- Umbrella Companies 264 3
- Tax on grant a lease - no proceeds 180 2
- What would you do in this situation? 841 15
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 333 5
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 601 16
- Project being run jointly 269 3
- CTA study material 739
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 458
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 303
- Employment related securities question 294
- AIM Stocks and IHT 266
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 240
- Expat pension contributions? 228
- Trust for Employee 224
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 216
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 139