Quickbooks and finacial year
I did a clients accounts last year and dated some of the last receipts for the 3rd April. I printed it all out, checked it and did his tax return. This year I entered all his receipts and expenses and again printed it all out and did a draft of his tax return, BUT on checking I stumbled accross an error. Those recepts with a date of 3rd April did not appear in last year's printouts but with this year's as the software goes to 31st March for the financial year not 5th April. In future I can work round this but the problem is now.
I have entered £500 too little on last year's return as a result. I can think of three possible solutions bearing in mind that over the two years the amount of tax and NI will be the same no matter which scenario is used. I will have to phone the tax office anyway as my client opted to pay the tax via his tax code and this does not appear to have happened.
Possibility 1. I leave last year's return as it stands and enter the extra receipts on this year's. I could also make a note in the return that this is what has happened.
Possibility 2. I amend last year's return and the date for the offending payments in Quickbooks so that I enter this year's figures without problem.
Possibility 3. I phone the tax office and ask thm what I should do.
Has anyone else had to deal with this? What should I do?
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 679 5
- See you all on the other side 723 6
- 12Pay 483 2
- dividends 667 2
- R&D 337 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,201 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 452 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 435 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 388 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 560 5
- Seeking a tax case 662 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 521 4
- Companies house strike off 594 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 450 2
- Moving to the cloud 760 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 220 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 917 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 223 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,103 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 512 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 567
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 422
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 376
- IRIS and FRS 102 357
- Capitalising Finance Lease 332
- USA help 320
- Marginal rates of tax 318
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 315
- Class 2 NI 300
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 297