Quickbooks and finacial year
I did a clients accounts last year and dated some of the last receipts for the 3rd April. I printed it all out, checked it and did his tax return. This year I entered all his receipts and expenses and again printed it all out and did a draft of his tax return, BUT on checking I stumbled accross an error. Those recepts with a date of 3rd April did not appear in last year's printouts but with this year's as the software goes to 31st March for the financial year not 5th April. In future I can work round this but the problem is now.
I have entered £500 too little on last year's return as a result. I can think of three possible solutions bearing in mind that over the two years the amount of tax and NI will be the same no matter which scenario is used. I will have to phone the tax office anyway as my client opted to pay the tax via his tax code and this does not appear to have happened.
Possibility 1. I leave last year's return as it stands and enter the extra receipts on this year's. I could also make a note in the return that this is what has happened.
Possibility 2. I amend last year's return and the date for the offending payments in Quickbooks so that I enter this year's figures without problem.
Possibility 3. I phone the tax office and ask thm what I should do.
Has anyone else had to deal with this? What should I do?
- Cocaine anyone? 67 2
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,453 21
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 792 25
- ACCA - still making me laugh 419 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 235 1
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 302 11
- Tax return software for remote working 457 4
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 495 9
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 412 9
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 438 9
- How to purchase business premises? 138 2
- Will I need to resign? 801 10
- Childcare vouchers 150 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 268 5
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 294 6
- VAT avoidance? 216 4
- Can S455 tax repaid 180 3
- PAYE coding out 173 3
- Follower cases 572 2
- LIVE chat, starting now 450 2
- Hive up 467
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 434
- corporate hierarchy 414
- Advice - 241
- Amortisation of Goodwill 212
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 200
- WWOOFers 196
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 176
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 174
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 170