Quickbooks and finacial year
I did a clients accounts last year and dated some of the last receipts for the 3rd April. I printed it all out, checked it and did his tax return. This year I entered all his receipts and expenses and again printed it all out and did a draft of his tax return, BUT on checking I stumbled accross an error. Those recepts with a date of 3rd April did not appear in last year's printouts but with this year's as the software goes to 31st March for the financial year not 5th April. In future I can work round this but the problem is now.
I have entered £500 too little on last year's return as a result. I can think of three possible solutions bearing in mind that over the two years the amount of tax and NI will be the same no matter which scenario is used. I will have to phone the tax office anyway as my client opted to pay the tax via his tax code and this does not appear to have happened.
Possibility 1. I leave last year's return as it stands and enter the extra receipts on this year's. I could also make a note in the return that this is what has happened.
Possibility 2. I amend last year's return and the date for the offending payments in Quickbooks so that I enter this year's figures without problem.
Possibility 3. I phone the tax office and ask thm what I should do.
Has anyone else had to deal with this? What should I do?
- The process of issuing dividend? 40 2
- SATR won't match P14 - what would you do? 167 5
- Travelling costs claimable? 27 1
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 465 9
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 1,217 20
- Non-resident employer & employee 73 3
- Claiming salary pre incorporation 149 2
- Write off of former director's loan 904 13
- PPR query 128 1
- Fixed asset registers 257 9
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 541 8
- Tech Champion of the Year 163 4
- R185 (Estates) in final year of administration 55 1
- Incorrect Accounts. Is it worth taking action against the old accountant? 1,105 7
- Obvious Question but if NOT registered for VAT EU refunds as under minimum amounts, what does an expense get recorded as for UK VAT return? 115 2
- Vat on digital download of music 112 3
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 2,655 34
- equipment rental 171 8
- Accomodation BIK? 177 3
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 353 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,345
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 430
- Alphabet shares 233
- Agent fees to sell business 224
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 218
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 165
- Charge out rates in London 162
- which entity 147
- UK tax regime 'attractive' to investors, says KPMG 139
- confusion about 139