Quickbooks and finacial year
I did a clients accounts last year and dated some of the last receipts for the 3rd April. I printed it all out, checked it and did his tax return. This year I entered all his receipts and expenses and again printed it all out and did a draft of his tax return, BUT on checking I stumbled accross an error. Those recepts with a date of 3rd April did not appear in last year's printouts but with this year's as the software goes to 31st March for the financial year not 5th April. In future I can work round this but the problem is now.
I have entered £500 too little on last year's return as a result. I can think of three possible solutions bearing in mind that over the two years the amount of tax and NI will be the same no matter which scenario is used. I will have to phone the tax office anyway as my client opted to pay the tax via his tax code and this does not appear to have happened.
Possibility 1. I leave last year's return as it stands and enter the extra receipts on this year's. I could also make a note in the return that this is what has happened.
Possibility 2. I amend last year's return and the date for the offending payments in Quickbooks so that I enter this year's figures without problem.
Possibility 3. I phone the tax office and ask thm what I should do.
Has anyone else had to deal with this? What should I do?
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 619 9
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 217 7
- Real names 1,049 33
- Company Secretarial Software 1,344 29
- Tools for conversion OST to PST files 23 1
- FRS to standard - check my understanding 105 2
- Tick & Bash Bristol 245 5
- What are options for non CA firm 1,551 19
- sole trader employing his girlfriend 1,912 17
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 1,900 11
- Can Sage 50 Forecasting work with Excel 2013 or Office 365 58 1
- What do "Former Contracted Out" rebates mean 110 1
- Downloads EU VAT from 1/1/15 157 4
- Do I need to pay Capital Gain Tax 454 22
- Are pre trading lossess able to be off set if the company does not trade? 85 2
- Accounting for VAT on an EU Acquisition 80 1
- Tax position re this lease? 152 2
- VAT on Training Courses 136 2
- No VAT apportionment on tools on hand at registration? 135 2
- Self employed travel expenses 164 3
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 577
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 451
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 351
- IFA incorporation 335
- Sorry ignore me 316
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 271
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 265
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 255
- Cancelled 197
- property ownership between husband wife three taxpayers 165