Quickbooks and finacial year
I did a clients accounts last year and dated some of the last receipts for the 3rd April. I printed it all out, checked it and did his tax return. This year I entered all his receipts and expenses and again printed it all out and did a draft of his tax return, BUT on checking I stumbled accross an error. Those recepts with a date of 3rd April did not appear in last year's printouts but with this year's as the software goes to 31st March for the financial year not 5th April. In future I can work round this but the problem is now.
I have entered £500 too little on last year's return as a result. I can think of three possible solutions bearing in mind that over the two years the amount of tax and NI will be the same no matter which scenario is used. I will have to phone the tax office anyway as my client opted to pay the tax via his tax code and this does not appear to have happened.
Possibility 1. I leave last year's return as it stands and enter the extra receipts on this year's. I could also make a note in the return that this is what has happened.
Possibility 2. I amend last year's return and the date for the offending payments in Quickbooks so that I enter this year's figures without problem.
Possibility 3. I phone the tax office and ask thm what I should do.
Has anyone else had to deal with this? What should I do?
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 39 1
- is this fraud? 542 11
- first year company tax return for a limited company 1,218 27
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 764 14
- Not a good start no broadband 330 7
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 382 8
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 602 10
- Property initial recognition 127 2
- P11D Dispensation 204 3
- Question regarding gym training 231 3
- CPD 88 1
- Dissolving company to avoid CCJ 406 7
- new software IXBRL and Accounts production? 136 1
- Mortgage to buy property in limited company 172 4
- Directors Subsistence 379 3
- Gong round in Circles with CT600 204 2
- How long are 64-8s taking these days? 428 9
- R&D tax credit claim 169 4
- New company - form a group? 108 1
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 138 3
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 566
- Cancelled 339
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 322
- Cancelled 278
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 241
- Probiz 223
- CIS Deductions 185
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 170
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 169
- Car leasing scheme 158