Quickbooks and finacial year
I did a clients accounts last year and dated some of the last receipts for the 3rd April. I printed it all out, checked it and did his tax return. This year I entered all his receipts and expenses and again printed it all out and did a draft of his tax return, BUT on checking I stumbled accross an error. Those recepts with a date of 3rd April did not appear in last year's printouts but with this year's as the software goes to 31st March for the financial year not 5th April. In future I can work round this but the problem is now.
I have entered £500 too little on last year's return as a result. I can think of three possible solutions bearing in mind that over the two years the amount of tax and NI will be the same no matter which scenario is used. I will have to phone the tax office anyway as my client opted to pay the tax via his tax code and this does not appear to have happened.
Possibility 1. I leave last year's return as it stands and enter the extra receipts on this year's. I could also make a note in the return that this is what has happened.
Possibility 2. I amend last year's return and the date for the offending payments in Quickbooks so that I enter this year's figures without problem.
Possibility 3. I phone the tax office and ask thm what I should do.
Has anyone else had to deal with this? What should I do?
- Reclaiming VAT on unpaid invoices 16 1
- Receipt bank 258 6
- blank - ignore 410 7
- Part disposal of shareholding with CGT loss attached 36 1
- Close Ltd and be taxed as a sole trader 43 1
- foreign income 149 3
- New client forgot to take stock count at the year end 151 5
- Company Van taxable benefit 96 3
- Non resident income. 358 18
- White van man 780 26
- Should i tell HMRC 1,230 12
- How to value a business asset? 104 4
- Companies House praise 167 1
- EIS reinvestment relief 162 12
- Do we have to register for VAT? 347 6
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 554 18
- Unbelievable!! 654 4
- Identity check problem 1,113 11
- Declaration of interest 117 3
- Contribution to charity as % of profit 333 16
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 868
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 565
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 531
- Latest phishing scam 453
- Entrepreneurs' relief 406
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 355
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 332
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 315
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 236
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 215