Quickbooks and finacial year
I did a clients accounts last year and dated some of the last receipts for the 3rd April. I printed it all out, checked it and did his tax return. This year I entered all his receipts and expenses and again printed it all out and did a draft of his tax return, BUT on checking I stumbled accross an error. Those recepts with a date of 3rd April did not appear in last year's printouts but with this year's as the software goes to 31st March for the financial year not 5th April. In future I can work round this but the problem is now.
I have entered £500 too little on last year's return as a result. I can think of three possible solutions bearing in mind that over the two years the amount of tax and NI will be the same no matter which scenario is used. I will have to phone the tax office anyway as my client opted to pay the tax via his tax code and this does not appear to have happened.
Possibility 1. I leave last year's return as it stands and enter the extra receipts on this year's. I could also make a note in the return that this is what has happened.
Possibility 2. I amend last year's return and the date for the offending payments in Quickbooks so that I enter this year's figures without problem.
Possibility 3. I phone the tax office and ask thm what I should do.
Has anyone else had to deal with this? What should I do?
- Abortive legal fees deductible on sale? 41 1
- Sage Import Data 137 3
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 52 1
- Australian dividend 62 1
- Wages paid into another persons bank account 454 9
- Private Healthcare Benefit In Kind 76 3
- Easiest and quickest way to reopen dissolved company, for the purposes of having access to funds in the bank account. 118 4
- Can a director pay for their childs tuition through the company 548 13
- updating shareholdings on companies house 60 1
- Spanish Tax Return 194 6
- Dividend Vouchers 205 3
- ACCA qualified but not enough 997 17
- National Insurance. 245 2
- Signing Accounts for Mortgage Reference 116 1
- Directors and unemployment benefit 298 13
- Personal Contract Purchase 302 2
- Donaldson v HMRC - result?? 608 7
- new capital structure ltd with investors 261 3
- Have I made a mistake... 767 6
- Directors need for self assessment? 668 19
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 417
- CTA study material 380
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 279
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 258
- Pre incorp expenses 230
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 210
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 202
- Slight twist on employment related securities 187
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 134
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 128