Quickbooks and finacial year
I did a clients accounts last year and dated some of the last receipts for the 3rd April. I printed it all out, checked it and did his tax return. This year I entered all his receipts and expenses and again printed it all out and did a draft of his tax return, BUT on checking I stumbled accross an error. Those recepts with a date of 3rd April did not appear in last year's printouts but with this year's as the software goes to 31st March for the financial year not 5th April. In future I can work round this but the problem is now.
I have entered £500 too little on last year's return as a result. I can think of three possible solutions bearing in mind that over the two years the amount of tax and NI will be the same no matter which scenario is used. I will have to phone the tax office anyway as my client opted to pay the tax via his tax code and this does not appear to have happened.
Possibility 1. I leave last year's return as it stands and enter the extra receipts on this year's. I could also make a note in the return that this is what has happened.
Possibility 2. I amend last year's return and the date for the offending payments in Quickbooks so that I enter this year's figures without problem.
Possibility 3. I phone the tax office and ask thm what I should do.
Has anyone else had to deal with this? What should I do?
- CT600 for the first time 104 5
- CGT and PPR and Lettings Relief? 311 7
- Agent with HMRC 143 9
- Propert purchase, renovation then rented out and VAT 41 1
- Purchase buy-to-let property personally or LTD? 539 9
- Sage Payroll 93 4
- VAT query 138 2
- Elective DeductionsModel 101 2
- company secretarial software 200 4
- Do you design it or pick what's out there? 522 12
- How best to own a 4-way property partnership 256 5
- Value pricing 383 13
- Weely paid employees 88 1
- Tax repayment for 2013-14 288 6
- Should design costs be capitalised? 81 1
- Share restructure 353 13
- Belated VAT Exception Application 173 5
- Shouldn't have filed accounts? 472 14
- VAT Deregistration - Final return 60 1
- Should a company include comparative disclosures when no current year balances? 110 4
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 739
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 508
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 366
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 348
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 268
- VAT on Gaming Machines 221
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 204
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 194
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 184
- Director Loan account operation 164