Quickbooks and finacial year
I did a clients accounts last year and dated some of the last receipts for the 3rd April. I printed it all out, checked it and did his tax return. This year I entered all his receipts and expenses and again printed it all out and did a draft of his tax return, BUT on checking I stumbled accross an error. Those recepts with a date of 3rd April did not appear in last year's printouts but with this year's as the software goes to 31st March for the financial year not 5th April. In future I can work round this but the problem is now.
I have entered £500 too little on last year's return as a result. I can think of three possible solutions bearing in mind that over the two years the amount of tax and NI will be the same no matter which scenario is used. I will have to phone the tax office anyway as my client opted to pay the tax via his tax code and this does not appear to have happened.
Possibility 1. I leave last year's return as it stands and enter the extra receipts on this year's. I could also make a note in the return that this is what has happened.
Possibility 2. I amend last year's return and the date for the offending payments in Quickbooks so that I enter this year's figures without problem.
Possibility 3. I phone the tax office and ask thm what I should do.
Has anyone else had to deal with this? What should I do?
- Moneysoft - technical query 489 14
- The importance of Grammar 1,348 42
- VAT and customer entertaining 231 3
- tax saving on card points 258 7
- Complicated situation with very old balances from previous accountant 227 6
- Hold on a minute (pun intended) 1,271 11
- Xero Pain Points 555 18
- supply teachers working through Ltd co 147 2
- Best way to draw a salary? 707 12
- PI cover 246 4
- 2014/15 Tax calculation spread sheet 954 15
- VAT - How hard is it? 741 26
- Profit split from an investment property 192 6
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,445 39
- Tax Implications on Child Benefits 174 1
- IRIS OpenSpace won't upload CT600 properly 278 6
- Capital Allowances and CGT interaction 268 9
- Scissors 899 24
- AIA for a Van, Self Employed 445 6
- Tax treatment of gift of expensive watch 467 10
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 373
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 330
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 308
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 300
- Electric Car 250
- S222 Charge 219
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 215
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 201
- Company Structure 197
- Does anyone know the name and postal address of HMRC's Data controller? 178