Quickbooks and finacial year
I did a clients accounts last year and dated some of the last receipts for the 3rd April. I printed it all out, checked it and did his tax return. This year I entered all his receipts and expenses and again printed it all out and did a draft of his tax return, BUT on checking I stumbled accross an error. Those recepts with a date of 3rd April did not appear in last year's printouts but with this year's as the software goes to 31st March for the financial year not 5th April. In future I can work round this but the problem is now.
I have entered £500 too little on last year's return as a result. I can think of three possible solutions bearing in mind that over the two years the amount of tax and NI will be the same no matter which scenario is used. I will have to phone the tax office anyway as my client opted to pay the tax via his tax code and this does not appear to have happened.
Possibility 1. I leave last year's return as it stands and enter the extra receipts on this year's. I could also make a note in the return that this is what has happened.
Possibility 2. I amend last year's return and the date for the offending payments in Quickbooks so that I enter this year's figures without problem.
Possibility 3. I phone the tax office and ask thm what I should do.
Has anyone else had to deal with this? What should I do?
- Taking over from an on-line accounting firm. Any ideas? 938 18
- Charging VAT on a company loan ?. 84 2
- Accountants website 360 5
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 214 2
- What do you all do in your spare time? 672 29
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 161 5
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 446 8
- VAT on employee loan 273 4
- Threshold company limited by guarantee. 77 1
- Retrospective VAT Claim 107 1
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 353 9
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,404 20
- SAGE 50 PAYROLL YEAR END 216 5
- Can software startup claim VAT refund during development? 166 6
- Tax implications on building an 'office' 215 2
- VT Final Accounts puts "Cost of Sales - Carriage" and "Cost of Sales - Other Costs" into "Other Costs". Is that compulsory? It seems mad. 197 3
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 714 18
- Partial PPR relief to non-resident after 05 Apr 2015 150 1
- Purchased Goodwill 151 1
- Accounting Package for Projects 91 2
- New Fangled Penalties 1,080
- Moving away from CCH software 934
- QROP pension input amounts 426
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 371
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 343
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 310
- fraud 268
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 239
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 212
- Construction CIS LLP Company 190