Quickbooks and finacial year
I did a clients accounts last year and dated some of the last receipts for the 3rd April. I printed it all out, checked it and did his tax return. This year I entered all his receipts and expenses and again printed it all out and did a draft of his tax return, BUT on checking I stumbled accross an error. Those recepts with a date of 3rd April did not appear in last year's printouts but with this year's as the software goes to 31st March for the financial year not 5th April. In future I can work round this but the problem is now.
I have entered £500 too little on last year's return as a result. I can think of three possible solutions bearing in mind that over the two years the amount of tax and NI will be the same no matter which scenario is used. I will have to phone the tax office anyway as my client opted to pay the tax via his tax code and this does not appear to have happened.
Possibility 1. I leave last year's return as it stands and enter the extra receipts on this year's. I could also make a note in the return that this is what has happened.
Possibility 2. I amend last year's return and the date for the offending payments in Quickbooks so that I enter this year's figures without problem.
Possibility 3. I phone the tax office and ask thm what I should do.
Has anyone else had to deal with this? What should I do?
- Entrepreneur's Relief Query 175 4
- Anyone using PracticePA? 257 5
- Do your DIY clients ever get their books right ? 64 1
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 648 26
- Tax - Paying Yearly 271 11
- Seeking advice: CGT after divorce when house sold and neither party was resident 194 3
- New company uses old Bank Account 234 3
- How do I correct a previous accountants major mistake on PAYE/SA? 461 5
- Sage Drive Queue.dta file lock out 341 8
- When is commencing trading not commening trading 188 3
- Income tax: Interaction between new marriage allowance and new nil band on savings interest 190 1
- charities 222 3
- How to find difference in Sage bank rec 283 6
- Auto enrollment. What's the basis for contribution ? 130 1
- converting garage to use as office 324 2
- recommended auto-enrolment pension scheme providers 664 13
- HOW is anyone obtaining an EORI number prior to shipment? 130 2
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,211 11
- Strike off 452 9
- Contracting, Subcontracting and Agency Worker Regs 162 2
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 380
- Any thoughts on Capium? 340
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 295
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 268
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 254
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 230
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 177
- French ConnectionUK 168
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 163
- APN's 159