Re-submit or reverse
A client as at year end had not received a rental invoice or contract from landlord even though they had been a tenant for the 12 months of the accounting period. Client had not paid any rent. Landlord lets out spare offices to 4 tenants (one being my client). Only one tenant has received a contract and is paying rent. A second tenant has been in discussions with landlord re rent. Client doesn't provide any services in lieu of rent (the other three tenants do and invoice the landlord accordingly) so there is no issue of bartering and VAT etc.
Client had a reasonable belief that rent was payable based on the one tenant paying rent. Provided for rent in the accounts based on the rent of the other tenant.
However it looks like the landlord will charge rent going froward only but not charge rent for the months gone by - essentially giving a rent free period. Obviously the provision needs to be reversed. Does the client need to resubmit the tax return as the provision now appears to be invalid or is it a simple reversal of the provision and then treated as taxable income in the current year.
My concern is that in the last accounting period the business may a substantial profit but may only break even in this current financial year (not at the end of the year yet so difficult to tell) but the reversal of the provision will almost certainly result in a taxable profit. So tax will be paid.
I am concious that it looks like cash flow "massaging".
therefore resubmit or reverse?
- Victor Meldrew morning 996 17
- EC VAT codes in Sage 50 76 1
- LLP - Member leaving 174 6
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 719 21
- Year end 216 3
- tax credits 180 7
- Foreign income for self employed 156 2
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 281 9
- what time is it ? 167 2
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 294 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,108 14
- Tax Return Deadlines 235 4
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 592 21
- How would you account for warranty? 171 4
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 409 22
- Sweet Tooth 219 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 192 2
- trading or dormant 132 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 149 1
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 581 11
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 892
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 520
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 332
- How to format a stock book 314
- Tax efficient holding company structure 249
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 244
- Investment property company accounts template 228
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 193
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 172
- Charge out rates in London? 153