I am currently working in a very small accountancy practice (as accounts senior), and would like to get into a larger firm, still working in an accounts related job, but preferably not in an accountancy practice.
I very rarely see accounting jobs advertised other than through recruitment agents, so I have twice tried to find new employment through several agencies. They have always said in the initial interview that they have plenty of jobs, of the type I would like, that they could put me forward for, and seem very positive towards me. When it comes down to it however, they are only willing to put me forward for jobs that are exactly what I am trying to get out of - small accountancy practice jobs. They do not seem willing to consider anyone without prior experience of exactly the same role.
Has everyone had the same experience with agencies? If so, how do you get round this attitude? If not, have I just gone to the wrong agencies or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks in advance for any help.
- New business 484 5
- Ok to disclaim? 51 1
- Disengagement Help! 49 2
- VAT - Check on clients business 985 41
- Xerocon 2016 486 7
- Can you use dividends to pay off interest charged on Directors Loan Accounts 97 3
- Taxi Drivers Cost of Sale 323 8
- Autumn statement 117 4
- How much detail should you put on CT600A 55 1
- Has this payroll data been created retrospectively? 299 3
- Barrister "M25 Patch"? 119 1
- What's the Barmiest Reason A Client gave you for going? 2,637 26
- Annual to At Least Quarterly 608 23
- Is cloud accounting actually pretty pants? 2,175 38
- Sale of business assets 121 3
- Moneysoft error 498 8
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,738 40
- Auto Enrol with Salary exchange 138 2
- GRNI - Normal Balance 168 5
- Small amount of untaxed royalties for someone outside SA 231 2