Reducing share cap to create distributable reserves
My client is a Ltd Co with share cap of c£50k and share premium of c£300k. There are no distributable reserves as the P&L a/c shows a loss of £250k. The co is not trading any more but has cash of £80k and few creditors. It wants to pay a dividend so we are looking to reduce the share capital in order to create distributable reserves. I have done quite a lot of research but am having trouble confirming a few points. My proposal is:
1. Reduce share cap to £500 by cancelling shares. 99 out of every 100 shares would be cancelled so all shareholders retain the same percentage shareholding afterwards, but their share cap is reduced. A/c entries are dr share cap, cr P&L
2. Reduce share prem to nil. A/c entries are dr share prem, cr P&L.
End result is share cap of £500 and P&L of £99,500.
I know that we need to do a solvency statement, a special resolution, a directors' statement and a statement of capital to effect this. The thing that is concerning me is the cancellation of the shares. I have found lots of info about reducing share cap, but nothing specifically referring to the cancelling of shares. Can we reduce share cap by just cancelling some of the shares? And if so, are the a/c entries above correct or does the reduction in share cap have to be returned to the shareholders?
A further point is that we have lots of shareholders and as the company has been dormant for many years, we do not have up to date contact details for them all. I think we need 75% of them to agree to the resolution for it to go ahead, but what do we do if we cannot even get in touch with 75% of them?!
If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 118 3
- Reregister for VAT 97 1
- Would this save hours of your time? 427 11
- Director's tax return 247 6
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 191 6
- Value pricing 669 23
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 46 2
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 180 5
- Wrong career 453 18
- Payroo Employer allowance query 127 1
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 262 7
- Laptop purchase 1,375 20
- PTP software disaster 256 2
- CIS repayment shambles finally over? 219 2
- Treatment of EU Purchases on Sage 96 2
- Tricky VAT question 170 1
- VT accounts licence key 259 5
- Weely paid employees 221 2
- Splitting the tax year 104 1
- FPS Submission 155 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 792
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 546
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 413
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 292
- Free Tax Legislation? 261
- Director Loan account operation 241
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 237
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 236
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 229
- Paye procedures for CVA 159