Reducing share cap to create distributable reserves
My client is a Ltd Co with share cap of c£50k and share premium of c£300k. There are no distributable reserves as the P&L a/c shows a loss of £250k. The co is not trading any more but has cash of £80k and few creditors. It wants to pay a dividend so we are looking to reduce the share capital in order to create distributable reserves. I have done quite a lot of research but am having trouble confirming a few points. My proposal is:
1. Reduce share cap to £500 by cancelling shares. 99 out of every 100 shares would be cancelled so all shareholders retain the same percentage shareholding afterwards, but their share cap is reduced. A/c entries are dr share cap, cr P&L
2. Reduce share prem to nil. A/c entries are dr share prem, cr P&L.
End result is share cap of £500 and P&L of £99,500.
I know that we need to do a solvency statement, a special resolution, a directors' statement and a statement of capital to effect this. The thing that is concerning me is the cancellation of the shares. I have found lots of info about reducing share cap, but nothing specifically referring to the cancelling of shares. Can we reduce share cap by just cancelling some of the shares? And if so, are the a/c entries above correct or does the reduction in share cap have to be returned to the shareholders?
A further point is that we have lots of shareholders and as the company has been dormant for many years, we do not have up to date contact details for them all. I think we need 75% of them to agree to the resolution for it to go ahead, but what do we do if we cannot even get in touch with 75% of them?!
If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!
- HMRC Post 571 8
- Time to ditch Sage? 423 8
- First director's salary payment 3 months after ltd company formation 169 2
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 438 8
- Fees 448 5
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 510 17
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 285 3
- www.pool.adzio 151 2
- Losses carry forward to self employed 179 2
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,877 43
- Agent Authorisation Issue 283 3
- Transactions with directors 476 3
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 311 9
- Non VAT invoices 245 4
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 252 2
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,434 32
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 274 5
- Form 17 Download 193 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 595 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 408 4
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 766
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 418
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 370
- Electric Car 303
- S222 Charge 250
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 214
- IP trans to holding company 196
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 190
- AIA 188
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 182