Reducing share cap to create distributable reserves
My client is a Ltd Co with share cap of c£50k and share premium of c£300k. There are no distributable reserves as the P&L a/c shows a loss of £250k. The co is not trading any more but has cash of £80k and few creditors. It wants to pay a dividend so we are looking to reduce the share capital in order to create distributable reserves. I have done quite a lot of research but am having trouble confirming a few points. My proposal is:
1. Reduce share cap to £500 by cancelling shares. 99 out of every 100 shares would be cancelled so all shareholders retain the same percentage shareholding afterwards, but their share cap is reduced. A/c entries are dr share cap, cr P&L
2. Reduce share prem to nil. A/c entries are dr share prem, cr P&L.
End result is share cap of £500 and P&L of £99,500.
I know that we need to do a solvency statement, a special resolution, a directors' statement and a statement of capital to effect this. The thing that is concerning me is the cancellation of the shares. I have found lots of info about reducing share cap, but nothing specifically referring to the cancelling of shares. Can we reduce share cap by just cancelling some of the shares? And if so, are the a/c entries above correct or does the reduction in share cap have to be returned to the shareholders?
A further point is that we have lots of shareholders and as the company has been dormant for many years, we do not have up to date contact details for them all. I think we need 75% of them to agree to the resolution for it to go ahead, but what do we do if we cannot even get in touch with 75% of them?!
If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!
- Accountants' Error 681 13
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 137 3
- Scoot 170 4
- Zero Rated VAT on New Building 143 2
- Tax code for Companies House fees 189 3
- G'day IPA-IFA 658 11
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,443 20
- VAT customer is registered in France, goods shipped to the UK 101 1
- Regaining my qualification 188 2
- Self-Assessment - NIC Exemption 231 2
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 212 2
- Auto enrolment 185 3
- Shareholder agreement 167 3
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 194 3
- Company Reorganisation 158 3
- Employee Loan 201 2
- IRIS - Personal Tax - 2013/14 - Page UKP2 460 15
- Statutory residence test - transit days 585 5
- CGT - Is a calculation required now? 141 1
- Wear and tear allowance 461 6
- Skandia using wrong address 1,449
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 759
- Any views 694
- HMRC Employers Diary 520
- International interest certificate 423
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 387
- Sale of business 352
- NOVA 258
- Advertising services? 251
- IRIS Open Books problem 241