Reducing share cap to create distributable reserves
My client is a Ltd Co with share cap of c£50k and share premium of c£300k. There are no distributable reserves as the P&L a/c shows a loss of £250k. The co is not trading any more but has cash of £80k and few creditors. It wants to pay a dividend so we are looking to reduce the share capital in order to create distributable reserves. I have done quite a lot of research but am having trouble confirming a few points. My proposal is:
1. Reduce share cap to £500 by cancelling shares. 99 out of every 100 shares would be cancelled so all shareholders retain the same percentage shareholding afterwards, but their share cap is reduced. A/c entries are dr share cap, cr P&L
2. Reduce share prem to nil. A/c entries are dr share prem, cr P&L.
End result is share cap of £500 and P&L of £99,500.
I know that we need to do a solvency statement, a special resolution, a directors' statement and a statement of capital to effect this. The thing that is concerning me is the cancellation of the shares. I have found lots of info about reducing share cap, but nothing specifically referring to the cancelling of shares. Can we reduce share cap by just cancelling some of the shares? And if so, are the a/c entries above correct or does the reduction in share cap have to be returned to the shareholders?
A further point is that we have lots of shareholders and as the company has been dormant for many years, we do not have up to date contact details for them all. I think we need 75% of them to agree to the resolution for it to go ahead, but what do we do if we cannot even get in touch with 75% of them?!
If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 338 8
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,402 47
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 160 3
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 431 12
- Share premium or Directors Loan 732 30
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 107 3
- What would you do in this situation? 140 5
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 133 2
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 603 13
- More HMRC on gov.uk 636 11
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 87 1
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 341 14
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 244 4
- Research and development - repayment timescale 220 5
- Sole trader hid directorships. 391 6
- NOVA 555 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 275 10
- Regional Development Grant 124 4
- Problem ex client...again.. 2,414 21
- Company car without a salary 233 2
- Bonus Bonds 391
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 378
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 289
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 258
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 187
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 179
- Finance Lease 157
- Company Car Lease 154
- Form 42 149
- Demerger Reserve 132