Reducing share cap to create distributable reserves
My client is a Ltd Co with share cap of c£50k and share premium of c£300k. There are no distributable reserves as the P&L a/c shows a loss of £250k. The co is not trading any more but has cash of £80k and few creditors. It wants to pay a dividend so we are looking to reduce the share capital in order to create distributable reserves. I have done quite a lot of research but am having trouble confirming a few points. My proposal is:
1. Reduce share cap to £500 by cancelling shares. 99 out of every 100 shares would be cancelled so all shareholders retain the same percentage shareholding afterwards, but their share cap is reduced. A/c entries are dr share cap, cr P&L
2. Reduce share prem to nil. A/c entries are dr share prem, cr P&L.
End result is share cap of £500 and P&L of £99,500.
I know that we need to do a solvency statement, a special resolution, a directors' statement and a statement of capital to effect this. The thing that is concerning me is the cancellation of the shares. I have found lots of info about reducing share cap, but nothing specifically referring to the cancelling of shares. Can we reduce share cap by just cancelling some of the shares? And if so, are the a/c entries above correct or does the reduction in share cap have to be returned to the shareholders?
A further point is that we have lots of shareholders and as the company has been dormant for many years, we do not have up to date contact details for them all. I think we need 75% of them to agree to the resolution for it to go ahead, but what do we do if we cannot even get in touch with 75% of them?!
If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 513 22
- UK company to be a foreign entity 72 1
- Owner/Director consultant plus employment elsewhere 94 4
- Anyone use Xero for estate agent clients? 144 3
- Easiest and quickest way to reopen dissolved company, for the purposes of having access to funds in the bank account. 319 9
- Any Need to Formally "Sack" Client Company? 444 5
- Growing pains 129 1
- Residents Association Corp Tax 97 2
- Gift to employee 122 2
- Who can I refer leads to? 368 8
- Cash accounting to flat rate scheme 108 4
- How much to charge for Ltd company accounts ? 141 1
- new capital structure ltd with investors 306 5
- Can Directors be removed without consequence? 147 2
- Benefit of my ACCA membership to my Non Qualified Employer 277 4
- Directors/owners taking too much cash... 1,863 17
- Minutes & Dividend Vouchers 409 12
- Private Healthcare Benefit In Kind 169 4
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 730 9
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 315 8
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 437
- CTA study material 392
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 291
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 268
- Pre incorp expenses 252
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 231
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 219
- Slight twist on employment related securities 199
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 160
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 145