Reducing share cap to create distributable reserves
My client is a Ltd Co with share cap of c£50k and share premium of c£300k. There are no distributable reserves as the P&L a/c shows a loss of £250k. The co is not trading any more but has cash of £80k and few creditors. It wants to pay a dividend so we are looking to reduce the share capital in order to create distributable reserves. I have done quite a lot of research but am having trouble confirming a few points. My proposal is:
1. Reduce share cap to £500 by cancelling shares. 99 out of every 100 shares would be cancelled so all shareholders retain the same percentage shareholding afterwards, but their share cap is reduced. A/c entries are dr share cap, cr P&L
2. Reduce share prem to nil. A/c entries are dr share prem, cr P&L.
End result is share cap of £500 and P&L of £99,500.
I know that we need to do a solvency statement, a special resolution, a directors' statement and a statement of capital to effect this. The thing that is concerning me is the cancellation of the shares. I have found lots of info about reducing share cap, but nothing specifically referring to the cancelling of shares. Can we reduce share cap by just cancelling some of the shares? And if so, are the a/c entries above correct or does the reduction in share cap have to be returned to the shareholders?
A further point is that we have lots of shareholders and as the company has been dormant for many years, we do not have up to date contact details for them all. I think we need 75% of them to agree to the resolution for it to go ahead, but what do we do if we cannot even get in touch with 75% of them?!
If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!
- Cocaine anyone? 636 11
- Lack of VAT Receipt 53 1
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 244 4
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 122 4
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 177 3
- Allocation of Receipt from DWP 175 2
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 824 11
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 537 19
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 698 13
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 304 16
- Personal pension 436 9
- Business rates consultancy 268 4
- Wrong tax code 178 6
- Benefit in Kind 263 5
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 94 2
- Am I getting Soft?? 298 10
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,060 31
- Deferred Tax 475 8
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 207 1
- You know its over 501 6
- Hive up 513
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 474
- corporate hierarchy 453
- Advice - 296
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 238
- WWOOFers 233
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 217
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 195
- The booking.com con 175
- UK State pension paid in NZ 166