Reducing share cap to create distributable reserves
My client is a Ltd Co with share cap of c£50k and share premium of c£300k. There are no distributable reserves as the P&L a/c shows a loss of £250k. The co is not trading any more but has cash of £80k and few creditors. It wants to pay a dividend so we are looking to reduce the share capital in order to create distributable reserves. I have done quite a lot of research but am having trouble confirming a few points. My proposal is:
1. Reduce share cap to £500 by cancelling shares. 99 out of every 100 shares would be cancelled so all shareholders retain the same percentage shareholding afterwards, but their share cap is reduced. A/c entries are dr share cap, cr P&L
2. Reduce share prem to nil. A/c entries are dr share prem, cr P&L.
End result is share cap of £500 and P&L of £99,500.
I know that we need to do a solvency statement, a special resolution, a directors' statement and a statement of capital to effect this. The thing that is concerning me is the cancellation of the shares. I have found lots of info about reducing share cap, but nothing specifically referring to the cancelling of shares. Can we reduce share cap by just cancelling some of the shares? And if so, are the a/c entries above correct or does the reduction in share cap have to be returned to the shareholders?
A further point is that we have lots of shareholders and as the company has been dormant for many years, we do not have up to date contact details for them all. I think we need 75% of them to agree to the resolution for it to go ahead, but what do we do if we cannot even get in touch with 75% of them?!
If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!
- What expenses to claim for painter/decorator working from home base 43 1
- ICAS GPPM 76 1
- PPR for non-residents after 05 Apr 2015 114 2
- Payroll 239 7
- Buying fees 681 5
- IHT Query 441 11
- Audit and paypal balances 176 7
- Missing C79 156 5
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 488 16
- VAT margin scheme 272 14
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 306 8
- How to walk away without questions 2,730 17
- Takeover of Annual PAYE scheme 132 2
- Get it off your chest 252 4
- Directors bonus 155 2
- Auto Enrolment specialist service provider 111 1
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 284 3
- HMRC Unpaid Debt Collector 276 5
- do you receive fewer phone calls than some years back because of emails 182 3
- break even point 1,122 33
- Possible Partnership? 559
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 553
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 481
- New Fangled Penalties 355
- Clubs and Taxable Income 293
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 277
- Loans to other companies 220
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 213
- Outsource Data Entry 180
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 179