Reducing share cap to create distributable reserves
My client is a Ltd Co with share cap of c£50k and share premium of c£300k. There are no distributable reserves as the P&L a/c shows a loss of £250k. The co is not trading any more but has cash of £80k and few creditors. It wants to pay a dividend so we are looking to reduce the share capital in order to create distributable reserves. I have done quite a lot of research but am having trouble confirming a few points. My proposal is:
1. Reduce share cap to £500 by cancelling shares. 99 out of every 100 shares would be cancelled so all shareholders retain the same percentage shareholding afterwards, but their share cap is reduced. A/c entries are dr share cap, cr P&L
2. Reduce share prem to nil. A/c entries are dr share prem, cr P&L.
End result is share cap of £500 and P&L of £99,500.
I know that we need to do a solvency statement, a special resolution, a directors' statement and a statement of capital to effect this. The thing that is concerning me is the cancellation of the shares. I have found lots of info about reducing share cap, but nothing specifically referring to the cancelling of shares. Can we reduce share cap by just cancelling some of the shares? And if so, are the a/c entries above correct or does the reduction in share cap have to be returned to the shareholders?
A further point is that we have lots of shareholders and as the company has been dormant for many years, we do not have up to date contact details for them all. I think we need 75% of them to agree to the resolution for it to go ahead, but what do we do if we cannot even get in touch with 75% of them?!
If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,722 440
- 100% Xero practice 2,431 46
- Fees for Property Tax Return 168 6
- Can I calculate a total amount on my freelance tax relief? 92 1
- Separating business for VAT purposes 111 2
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 278 9
- PRR 347 13
- 40% rule for travel expenses 378 11
- Cash injection by shareholder 300 7
- capital gains on PPR 166 7
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,251 62
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 341 6
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 425 20
- How to pursue fraudulent trading 357 5
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 293 8
- Is it more beneficial to be a Ltd company? 235 3
- corp tax software 392 7
- Pension Contributions Relief 464 14
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 488 7
- Which tax box 213 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,310
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 472
- National Insurance 368
- Non Resident 294
- Franchise income and costs 259
- Hands on experience of Digita 213
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 183
- Employer's Helpline 161
- employment capital allowances 157
- CIS paid under reg 9 151