Reducing share cap to create distributable reserves
My client is a Ltd Co with share cap of c£50k and share premium of c£300k. There are no distributable reserves as the P&L a/c shows a loss of £250k. The co is not trading any more but has cash of £80k and few creditors. It wants to pay a dividend so we are looking to reduce the share capital in order to create distributable reserves. I have done quite a lot of research but am having trouble confirming a few points. My proposal is:
1. Reduce share cap to £500 by cancelling shares. 99 out of every 100 shares would be cancelled so all shareholders retain the same percentage shareholding afterwards, but their share cap is reduced. A/c entries are dr share cap, cr P&L
2. Reduce share prem to nil. A/c entries are dr share prem, cr P&L.
End result is share cap of £500 and P&L of £99,500.
I know that we need to do a solvency statement, a special resolution, a directors' statement and a statement of capital to effect this. The thing that is concerning me is the cancellation of the shares. I have found lots of info about reducing share cap, but nothing specifically referring to the cancelling of shares. Can we reduce share cap by just cancelling some of the shares? And if so, are the a/c entries above correct or does the reduction in share cap have to be returned to the shareholders?
A further point is that we have lots of shareholders and as the company has been dormant for many years, we do not have up to date contact details for them all. I think we need 75% of them to agree to the resolution for it to go ahead, but what do we do if we cannot even get in touch with 75% of them?!
If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!
- Where has Portia gone? 4,936 107
- What do people do with signed accounts/engagement letters/tax returns? 95 2
- Overlap profit 281 6
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 288 6
- RTI Payroll ID 2,042 25
- What is the correct Vat treatment and rate to use to record a business stay in a hotel in the EU? 82 1
- Payments on account 144 2
- Recurring Revenue/Costs occurred before registering, how do I handle this? 40 1
- What do your junior staff do? 492 7
- OMG HMRC !!!! Employ some ppl!! 611 12
- Keeping disastrous accounts 376 5
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 517 10
- VAT Exemptions for Dance Education 116 1
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,913 74
- In pratice using part time accountants 316 3
- On the high seas 98 1
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 135 2
- Spousal transfer and PPR 854 34
- Payroll question 143 2
- Warning - "Central Register of Companies" con 245 3
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 847
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 442
- Sanzar 337
- How do you do it 334
- Digital marketing focus group 310
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 289
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 205
- Fit for purpose 200
- new investor structure 195
- VAT Registration 178