Reducing share cap to create distributable reserves
My client is a Ltd Co with share cap of c£50k and share premium of c£300k. There are no distributable reserves as the P&L a/c shows a loss of £250k. The co is not trading any more but has cash of £80k and few creditors. It wants to pay a dividend so we are looking to reduce the share capital in order to create distributable reserves. I have done quite a lot of research but am having trouble confirming a few points. My proposal is:
1. Reduce share cap to £500 by cancelling shares. 99 out of every 100 shares would be cancelled so all shareholders retain the same percentage shareholding afterwards, but their share cap is reduced. A/c entries are dr share cap, cr P&L
2. Reduce share prem to nil. A/c entries are dr share prem, cr P&L.
End result is share cap of £500 and P&L of £99,500.
I know that we need to do a solvency statement, a special resolution, a directors' statement and a statement of capital to effect this. The thing that is concerning me is the cancellation of the shares. I have found lots of info about reducing share cap, but nothing specifically referring to the cancelling of shares. Can we reduce share cap by just cancelling some of the shares? And if so, are the a/c entries above correct or does the reduction in share cap have to be returned to the shareholders?
A further point is that we have lots of shareholders and as the company has been dormant for many years, we do not have up to date contact details for them all. I think we need 75% of them to agree to the resolution for it to go ahead, but what do we do if we cannot even get in touch with 75% of them?!
If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!
- B2B vat in the EU 154 4
- Coding Notice 184 6
- VAT on Hire Purchase 57 1
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 361 9
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 174 4
- Changes to class 2 NIC's 194 3
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 159 4
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 151 3
- LLP as member of LLP 105 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,757 48
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 465 7
- Vat 288 7
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,287 13
- Recharge for private use of a company car 198 3
- Funding Circle Servicing Fee 174 2
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,497 18
- CT/CIS offset 154 2
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 202 4
- Trade name 201 3
- Musician - Allowable Travel expenses 146 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 828
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 711
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 394
- Social investment tax relief 211
- Digita Hosted Software 207
- Call Centre Data Costs 195
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 167
- Travel costs and contractors 159
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 152
- accounting for this transaction 152