Reducing share cap to create distributable reserves
My client is a Ltd Co with share cap of c£50k and share premium of c£300k. There are no distributable reserves as the P&L a/c shows a loss of £250k. The co is not trading any more but has cash of £80k and few creditors. It wants to pay a dividend so we are looking to reduce the share capital in order to create distributable reserves. I have done quite a lot of research but am having trouble confirming a few points. My proposal is:
1. Reduce share cap to £500 by cancelling shares. 99 out of every 100 shares would be cancelled so all shareholders retain the same percentage shareholding afterwards, but their share cap is reduced. A/c entries are dr share cap, cr P&L
2. Reduce share prem to nil. A/c entries are dr share prem, cr P&L.
End result is share cap of £500 and P&L of £99,500.
I know that we need to do a solvency statement, a special resolution, a directors' statement and a statement of capital to effect this. The thing that is concerning me is the cancellation of the shares. I have found lots of info about reducing share cap, but nothing specifically referring to the cancelling of shares. Can we reduce share cap by just cancelling some of the shares? And if so, are the a/c entries above correct or does the reduction in share cap have to be returned to the shareholders?
A further point is that we have lots of shareholders and as the company has been dormant for many years, we do not have up to date contact details for them all. I think we need 75% of them to agree to the resolution for it to go ahead, but what do we do if we cannot even get in touch with 75% of them?!
If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!
- NO SUCH THING AS UNQUALIED ACCOUNTANT 178 3
- Companies House 162 4
- Interprise software 84 1
- TAX, VAT and non-UK residence 503 19
- Charity accounting 264 6
- Outsourcing Payroll 104 1
- sage 118 3
- Separate Pay runs for salary and commission 155 4
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 1,057 13
- ATT Exam tips and study help 216 4
- FBI2 203 3
- Double entry 181 4
- Small house in garden 156 1
- THE PUBLIC SECTOR SUCKS 169 2
- Clients 925 18
- can a dormant company make an employer pension contribution? 296 12
- Manually amending PAYE Code Number in HMRC Basic PAYE Tools 155 5
- Accountants not providing all required information 284 4
- Director's personal expenses paid by the Company 312 5
- Sage 50 - How do I find the column headings when I export to CSV 132 5
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 541
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 471
- EPS and CIS deductions 330
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 312
- Construction CIS LLP Company 303
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 298
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 264
- Overdrawn director account 220
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 205
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 202