Reducing share cap to create distributable reserves
My client is a Ltd Co with share cap of c£50k and share premium of c£300k. There are no distributable reserves as the P&L a/c shows a loss of £250k. The co is not trading any more but has cash of £80k and few creditors. It wants to pay a dividend so we are looking to reduce the share capital in order to create distributable reserves. I have done quite a lot of research but am having trouble confirming a few points. My proposal is:
1. Reduce share cap to £500 by cancelling shares. 99 out of every 100 shares would be cancelled so all shareholders retain the same percentage shareholding afterwards, but their share cap is reduced. A/c entries are dr share cap, cr P&L
2. Reduce share prem to nil. A/c entries are dr share prem, cr P&L.
End result is share cap of £500 and P&L of £99,500.
I know that we need to do a solvency statement, a special resolution, a directors' statement and a statement of capital to effect this. The thing that is concerning me is the cancellation of the shares. I have found lots of info about reducing share cap, but nothing specifically referring to the cancelling of shares. Can we reduce share cap by just cancelling some of the shares? And if so, are the a/c entries above correct or does the reduction in share cap have to be returned to the shareholders?
A further point is that we have lots of shareholders and as the company has been dormant for many years, we do not have up to date contact details for them all. I think we need 75% of them to agree to the resolution for it to go ahead, but what do we do if we cannot even get in touch with 75% of them?!
If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 1,405 12
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,521 53
- claim fees with out without VAT? 62 1
- Anyone done ATT? 78 3
- saturday staff 259 3
- indexation factors 29 1
- VAT invoice 36 2
- Free accounts system for small business? 130 5
- Property Revaluation - Postings 35 1
- Vat on motor repairs 86 1
- Received a CIS invoice 147 3
- Payroll Software Recommendations 155 4
- Electronic v printed payslips 226 4
- Is anyone using micro entity accounts 958 13
- Directors Remuneration 2014/15 and NIC Allowance and Excel Spreadsheet 374 5
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 814 7
- Moving from Moneysoft to another payroll product 218 3
- Fee protection 1,018 20
- PPR Sanity Check 113 1
- Apologies for reposting this but first post was on Friday afternoon! 497 3
- Xtuple 574
- Qtac payroll for bureau 397
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 349
- Domain name sale and limited company 246
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 231
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 219
- Tax on damages received 194
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 189
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 157
- Accounts consolidation spreadsheet 151