Reducing share cap to create distributable reserves
My client is a Ltd Co with share cap of c£50k and share premium of c£300k. There are no distributable reserves as the P&L a/c shows a loss of £250k. The co is not trading any more but has cash of £80k and few creditors. It wants to pay a dividend so we are looking to reduce the share capital in order to create distributable reserves. I have done quite a lot of research but am having trouble confirming a few points. My proposal is:
1. Reduce share cap to £500 by cancelling shares. 99 out of every 100 shares would be cancelled so all shareholders retain the same percentage shareholding afterwards, but their share cap is reduced. A/c entries are dr share cap, cr P&L
2. Reduce share prem to nil. A/c entries are dr share prem, cr P&L.
End result is share cap of £500 and P&L of £99,500.
I know that we need to do a solvency statement, a special resolution, a directors' statement and a statement of capital to effect this. The thing that is concerning me is the cancellation of the shares. I have found lots of info about reducing share cap, but nothing specifically referring to the cancelling of shares. Can we reduce share cap by just cancelling some of the shares? And if so, are the a/c entries above correct or does the reduction in share cap have to be returned to the shareholders?
A further point is that we have lots of shareholders and as the company has been dormant for many years, we do not have up to date contact details for them all. I think we need 75% of them to agree to the resolution for it to go ahead, but what do we do if we cannot even get in touch with 75% of them?!
If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!
- Hobby Horse 779 8
- Non resident income. 448 20
- What sectors to target? 607 30
- FYAs on second-hand vans 254 7
- Rent a room scheme query. 182 3
- client can't/won't pay 1,932 41
- Self assesment online 990 11
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 261 21
- Why do I do this every year 410 9
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 301 5
- closing limited company 172 2
- VAT when selling on Amazon 90 1
- HMRC filing meltdown? 517 14
- Childcare voucher schemes 252 9
- IHT and US resident 64 1
- Limited Companies Merger 209 6
- Incidental costs of Acquisition for inherited property/shares 140 1
- Practice management 381 7
- IHT and cash gifts 249 5
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 563 13
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 927
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 646
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 597
- Latest phishing scam 578
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 413
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 311
- Scratch Head 240
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 230
- Sabbatical payments 195
- Negligible Value Claim 174