Reducing share cap to create distributable reserves
My client is a Ltd Co with share cap of c£50k and share premium of c£300k. There are no distributable reserves as the P&L a/c shows a loss of £250k. The co is not trading any more but has cash of £80k and few creditors. It wants to pay a dividend so we are looking to reduce the share capital in order to create distributable reserves. I have done quite a lot of research but am having trouble confirming a few points. My proposal is:
1. Reduce share cap to £500 by cancelling shares. 99 out of every 100 shares would be cancelled so all shareholders retain the same percentage shareholding afterwards, but their share cap is reduced. A/c entries are dr share cap, cr P&L
2. Reduce share prem to nil. A/c entries are dr share prem, cr P&L.
End result is share cap of £500 and P&L of £99,500.
I know that we need to do a solvency statement, a special resolution, a directors' statement and a statement of capital to effect this. The thing that is concerning me is the cancellation of the shares. I have found lots of info about reducing share cap, but nothing specifically referring to the cancelling of shares. Can we reduce share cap by just cancelling some of the shares? And if so, are the a/c entries above correct or does the reduction in share cap have to be returned to the shareholders?
A further point is that we have lots of shareholders and as the company has been dormant for many years, we do not have up to date contact details for them all. I think we need 75% of them to agree to the resolution for it to go ahead, but what do we do if we cannot even get in touch with 75% of them?!
If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!
- Auto-Enrolment 3,938 185
- Can I claim mileage? 230 6
- limited company for IR35 136 1
- Ir35 test 100 2
- Money laundering POCA 282 5
- Income recognition - release of product from a factory 130 7
- payroll software 221 2
- Mexican student in UK 164 4
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 198 2
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 57 2
- Finally a winner from HMRC!!! 259 2
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 173 1
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 142 2
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 882 19
- Dividend in specie 272 8
- Partnership Tax Return Deadline 113 1
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 198 9
- client threatening legal action 1,880 28
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 736 8
- Partially exempt? 265 9
- Skandia using wrong address 500
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 284
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 281
- Employee rewards 263
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 234
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 227
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 225
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 216
- Etax Australian 175
- LLP in Construction Industry 127