Reducing share cap to create distributable reserves
My client is a Ltd Co with share cap of c£50k and share premium of c£300k. There are no distributable reserves as the P&L a/c shows a loss of £250k. The co is not trading any more but has cash of £80k and few creditors. It wants to pay a dividend so we are looking to reduce the share capital in order to create distributable reserves. I have done quite a lot of research but am having trouble confirming a few points. My proposal is:
1. Reduce share cap to £500 by cancelling shares. 99 out of every 100 shares would be cancelled so all shareholders retain the same percentage shareholding afterwards, but their share cap is reduced. A/c entries are dr share cap, cr P&L
2. Reduce share prem to nil. A/c entries are dr share prem, cr P&L.
End result is share cap of £500 and P&L of £99,500.
I know that we need to do a solvency statement, a special resolution, a directors' statement and a statement of capital to effect this. The thing that is concerning me is the cancellation of the shares. I have found lots of info about reducing share cap, but nothing specifically referring to the cancelling of shares. Can we reduce share cap by just cancelling some of the shares? And if so, are the a/c entries above correct or does the reduction in share cap have to be returned to the shareholders?
A further point is that we have lots of shareholders and as the company has been dormant for many years, we do not have up to date contact details for them all. I think we need 75% of them to agree to the resolution for it to go ahead, but what do we do if we cannot even get in touch with 75% of them?!
If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!
- How much would you charge for an interim audit? 626 9
- Anyone else experiencing issues with sage 50 payroll 78 3
- Company Share Buy Back 97 2
- Charitable Payment 203 4
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 919 15
- Unpaid share capital 243 3
- Company car in the LLP 166 2
- Physiotherapy 336 4
- Time to react ? ? ? 223 1
- New build property to be rented 152 4
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,873 52
- Hello 355 2
- Sage 200 question 104 1
- Spanish Assets taxation - UK Residence 97 2
- Ltd Co and Fully Paid Shares 161 5
- RTI and Advances to Employees 165 3
- Sorry - another PPR question 211 4
- Private company division 312 5
- Outstanding Loans 217 3
- Networking 877 7