Reducing share cap to create distributable reserves
My client is a Ltd Co with share cap of c£50k and share premium of c£300k. There are no distributable reserves as the P&L a/c shows a loss of £250k. The co is not trading any more but has cash of £80k and few creditors. It wants to pay a dividend so we are looking to reduce the share capital in order to create distributable reserves. I have done quite a lot of research but am having trouble confirming a few points. My proposal is:
1. Reduce share cap to £500 by cancelling shares. 99 out of every 100 shares would be cancelled so all shareholders retain the same percentage shareholding afterwards, but their share cap is reduced. A/c entries are dr share cap, cr P&L
2. Reduce share prem to nil. A/c entries are dr share prem, cr P&L.
End result is share cap of £500 and P&L of £99,500.
I know that we need to do a solvency statement, a special resolution, a directors' statement and a statement of capital to effect this. The thing that is concerning me is the cancellation of the shares. I have found lots of info about reducing share cap, but nothing specifically referring to the cancelling of shares. Can we reduce share cap by just cancelling some of the shares? And if so, are the a/c entries above correct or does the reduction in share cap have to be returned to the shareholders?
A further point is that we have lots of shareholders and as the company has been dormant for many years, we do not have up to date contact details for them all. I think we need 75% of them to agree to the resolution for it to go ahead, but what do we do if we cannot even get in touch with 75% of them?!
If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!
- How to avoid a bankruptcy 504 13
- Incapable of reading 97 1
- KPMG email campaign and impact on market 1,244 19
- How to pay national insurance 133 2
- Overlap relief 456 12
- Live Chat on Accountancy Website 98 1
- Related party - Transaction with sole director’s father 70 1
- Dormant payroll 837 9
- Form 17 - legal ownership requirements 171 5
- Can I get around an ostrich director? 125 1
- "Can your client afford the following" 1,328 21
- Why won't CH validate accounts? 624 13
- PPR exemption on separation 144 1
- P11DX: change of requirement by HMRC 1,545 10
- Selling a practice 328 4
- Intercompany loans 109 1
- How do I create a tax journal from my corporation tax return? 171 3
- Limited Company 336 11
- Sage renewals and terminations 129 1
- Suspicious debt recovery offer? 212 1
- Theatre Tax Relief 442
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 345
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 335
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 311
- Perkbox 274
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 242
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 242
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 231
- Document Management Systems 215
- WIP Software 199