Reducing share cap to create distributable reserves
My client is a Ltd Co with share cap of c£50k and share premium of c£300k. There are no distributable reserves as the P&L a/c shows a loss of £250k. The co is not trading any more but has cash of £80k and few creditors. It wants to pay a dividend so we are looking to reduce the share capital in order to create distributable reserves. I have done quite a lot of research but am having trouble confirming a few points. My proposal is:
1. Reduce share cap to £500 by cancelling shares. 99 out of every 100 shares would be cancelled so all shareholders retain the same percentage shareholding afterwards, but their share cap is reduced. A/c entries are dr share cap, cr P&L
2. Reduce share prem to nil. A/c entries are dr share prem, cr P&L.
End result is share cap of £500 and P&L of £99,500.
I know that we need to do a solvency statement, a special resolution, a directors' statement and a statement of capital to effect this. The thing that is concerning me is the cancellation of the shares. I have found lots of info about reducing share cap, but nothing specifically referring to the cancelling of shares. Can we reduce share cap by just cancelling some of the shares? And if so, are the a/c entries above correct or does the reduction in share cap have to be returned to the shareholders?
A further point is that we have lots of shareholders and as the company has been dormant for many years, we do not have up to date contact details for them all. I think we need 75% of them to agree to the resolution for it to go ahead, but what do we do if we cannot even get in touch with 75% of them?!
If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!
- Insovent companies 839 18
- Rounding errors on CT600 97 4
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,285 48
- BrightPay quirks 154 2
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 80 1
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 780 20
- Xerocon 2016 1,165 31
- Website Content 71 1
- Mortgage Reference 469 5
- Personal Tax 611 12
- New Build 141 1
- Claiming annual pension allowance top up in SATR 110 1
- Starting band for savings - for 2014/2015 143 1
- USA Tax Query 277 2
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 422 5
- last minute request 628 6
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 330 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 363 7
- Disengagement Help! 1,721 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 983 6