Reducing share cap to create distributable reserves
My client is a Ltd Co with share cap of c£50k and share premium of c£300k. There are no distributable reserves as the P&L a/c shows a loss of £250k. The co is not trading any more but has cash of £80k and few creditors. It wants to pay a dividend so we are looking to reduce the share capital in order to create distributable reserves. I have done quite a lot of research but am having trouble confirming a few points. My proposal is:
1. Reduce share cap to £500 by cancelling shares. 99 out of every 100 shares would be cancelled so all shareholders retain the same percentage shareholding afterwards, but their share cap is reduced. A/c entries are dr share cap, cr P&L
2. Reduce share prem to nil. A/c entries are dr share prem, cr P&L.
End result is share cap of £500 and P&L of £99,500.
I know that we need to do a solvency statement, a special resolution, a directors' statement and a statement of capital to effect this. The thing that is concerning me is the cancellation of the shares. I have found lots of info about reducing share cap, but nothing specifically referring to the cancelling of shares. Can we reduce share cap by just cancelling some of the shares? And if so, are the a/c entries above correct or does the reduction in share cap have to be returned to the shareholders?
A further point is that we have lots of shareholders and as the company has been dormant for many years, we do not have up to date contact details for them all. I think we need 75% of them to agree to the resolution for it to go ahead, but what do we do if we cannot even get in touch with 75% of them?!
If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!
- 27,000 Really? 171 11
- Legal title not in the company name 437 17
- VAT on printing when being a third party 35 1
- NALS Accountants Report 201 3
- This is getting boring 177 6
- VAT - Recharge 165 6
- Employment Allowance 304 5
- Farm barn lettings 35 1
- CIC Company 579 10
- transitioning payroll 303 9
- dividend proposals 214 5
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 286 4
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,888 61
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,545 36
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 219 5
- Redundancy pay for directors? 550 14
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 922 19
- Opening Balances 129 1
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 233 2
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 1,417 21
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 627
- Cancelled 367
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 346
- Cancelled 316
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 291
- Probiz 277
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 246
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 238
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 208
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 180