Refunds of PAYE from past tax years
Client is usually a bit forgetful and over the years underpays/overpays PAYE until at the end of the year he's overpaid. Overpayments got lost in the mist of time as brought forward figures were impossible to reconcile and I don't do the payroll and the payroll people themselves don't keep an eye on him, unsurprisingly.
I finally realised he was not being refunded around £800 this year and because I'm not the payroll agent I told him to ring HMRC. They have written to him agreeing that have several years worth of overpayments from him but want a full explanation as to how the overpayments arose. They seem to doubt that the P35's concerned are correct. Of course they are correct. I drafted a reply for him stating that as a busy business person things got overlooked and when he caught up, he double paid. His letter is apparently not detailed enough and they now require him to explain for each month that was overpaid in 2006/7 and last year exactly what happened.
This could take hours and hours of his time and mine and I am keen to avoid it. It seems a glorious excuse for HMRC to hang on to the money. Should he complain to the next level up or will he get absolutely nowhere?
- Expenses paid by director (the comapny owner) 134 2
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 468 7
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 554 18
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 108 5
- Corrupt Excel File 658 10
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 320 4
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,945 43
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,160 39
- Locked Out of HMRC Online Account - HMRC Not Responding 270 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 352 7
- Personal Tax 389 10
- Xerocon 2016 924 18
- Disengagement Help! 1,604 24
- Capital Gain on Share Disposal with Held Over Gains 105 1
- 64-8's amazingly quick 201 4
- last minute request 433 5
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,231 46
- Practical experience 891 16
- Rent a Relief for small husband and wife run guesthouse 267 2
- Mortgage Reference 296 2