Registering for Self Assessment - Previous years
I am acting on behalf of a new client who has accumulated a couple of UK properties and now wishes to register with HMRC
for tax purposes .
The issue is that the first property was purchased in 2008/09 and since a couple more have been purchased in the period 2009/10
to 2011/12 .
Although I have not seen the books in detail the client has assured me they have not accumulated any substantial profits in this period
ie initial cost of improving the properties , letting agency fees and mortgage interest payments have negated any taxable profits .
My question is this , on registration , do they register say from today and when the time comes submit a return for 2012/13 only ( providing
there is no tax liablity for previous years ) or when submitting the first return do I need to aggregate 5 years ( assuming a 2008/09 to
2012/13 period ) .
- Small amount of untaxed royalties for someone outside SA 256 3
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,735 39
- Accounting for corporation tax 270 8
- Sole trader registering for the first time 339 1
- Digital tax accounts - what do we expect? 1,009 18
- Creative Auto Enrolment 583 8
- Tax Fines - HMRC 880 15
- Can an owner hold company money 335 6
- Account and Taxable Profit 331 17
- Class 2 NIC 304 5
- Probate services 430 9
- Is self-employment "another job" for PAYE 403 7
- Vat payable on van 191 1
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,842 42
- Invoices raised after company dissolution 247 7
- Community Faux Pas 936 26
- Cash gift from India 164 1
- Is cloud accounting actually pretty pants? 2,320 40
- Windows10 217 4
- Taxi Drivers Cost of Sale 630 24