Rental expenses for replacements
I have a client who in the middle of 2011/12 moved out of the family home and commenced to let it (it had been let before but stopped in 2004).
The property is partially furnished so will not qualify for W&T.
Just before letting commenced the client purchased a new washing machine, dryer and cooker as the old ones were out of date and would not pass the electrical tests for let properties. Can these costs be claimed against the rents?
Under renewals you can claim for replacements but not the original items, these are replacements but the original costs of the items would not have been claimed against any rents so I assume I can not make a claim for these replacements.
I spoke to a few collagues and some said they would as they are replacements.
I would be interested in others views and why/if they calim such expenses.
- Can interest received be netted against interest paid in this scenario? 93 2
- Film Actors - Averaging? 316 9
- Paying Harvest casuals and casual beaters 202 3
- FreeAgent question 91 2
- Retrospectively change VAT scheme? 116 2
- CIS monthly returns 168 2
- Goodie bag 1,545 52
- Husband Wife let property 346 9
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 497 12
- Output tax for retailer 312 8
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 276 3
- 13-14 Payroll return needs to be filed 132 2
- Payroll Software & Auto Enrolement 126 1
- CT600 Advice 124 1
- Fair Value Accounting 75 1
- Client incurring expenses on company car 137 4
- can I approach clients ? 402 8
- Companies House Penalties 130 2
- Apostille documents 114 2
- Budget 2015 predictions 541 13
- Possible Partnership? 640
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 517
- New Fangled Penalties 445
- Fuming! 379
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 317
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 254
- Outsource Data Entry 240
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 235
- Moving away from CCH software 227
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 174