Rental expenses for replacements
I have a client who in the middle of 2011/12 moved out of the family home and commenced to let it (it had been let before but stopped in 2004).
The property is partially furnished so will not qualify for W&T.
Just before letting commenced the client purchased a new washing machine, dryer and cooker as the old ones were out of date and would not pass the electrical tests for let properties. Can these costs be claimed against the rents?
Under renewals you can claim for replacements but not the original items, these are replacements but the original costs of the items would not have been claimed against any rents so I assume I can not make a claim for these replacements.
I spoke to a few collagues and some said they would as they are replacements.
I would be interested in others views and why/if they calim such expenses.
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 500 7
- Bookkeeping software for cafe and VAT 113 2
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 299 5
- US Sales Tax 105 1
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 359 15
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 193 3
- Simplified auto enrolment? 110 1
- Group Relief 121 4
- R&D Credits 96 1
- Is the annual Money Laundering Payment tax allowable 236 7
- VAT Reg.for sole trader with 2 S/E 102 2
- Clients 670 14
- Advice needed on my practice but not my clients 286 4
- Leaving the flat rate scheme 121 3
- Starting new accounting business 281 5
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 456 10
- Sage Payroll 112 1
- SAGE 50 - Invoice Date 109 2
- VAT flat rate scheme 427 8
- Tolley UK sales number 212 7
- QROP pension input amounts 492
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 476
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 439
- EPS and CIS deductions 293
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 285
- Construction CIS LLP Company 276
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 241
- SAGE winforecast 198
- Lets hear it for HMRC! 194
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 182