Rental expenses for replacements
I have a client who in the middle of 2011/12 moved out of the family home and commenced to let it (it had been let before but stopped in 2004).
The property is partially furnished so will not qualify for W&T.
Just before letting commenced the client purchased a new washing machine, dryer and cooker as the old ones were out of date and would not pass the electrical tests for let properties. Can these costs be claimed against the rents?
Under renewals you can claim for replacements but not the original items, these are replacements but the original costs of the items would not have been claimed against any rents so I assume I can not make a claim for these replacements.
I spoke to a few collagues and some said they would as they are replacements.
I would be interested in others views and why/if they calim such expenses.
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 546 19
- Financial statements in Word, with formulas 1,459 17
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,048 35
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,196 44
- R&D tax claim 245 7
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 517 9
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 171 7
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 125 2
- Gift to employee 369 12
- Tax Allowance on University Course 146 1
- Transfer of a business 124 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,132 22
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 413 8
- VAT Cross Border Invoicing 114 2
- Sage Import Data 310 6
- Slight twist on employment related securities 242 1
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 122 2
- Best time software for small practice? 231 2
- Residents Association Corp Tax 319 13
- private to company car? 374 9
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 479
- CTA study material 454
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 332
- Pre incorp expenses 308
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 267
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 254
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 204
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 159
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 140
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 133