Rental expenses for replacements
I have a client who in the middle of 2011/12 moved out of the family home and commenced to let it (it had been let before but stopped in 2004).
The property is partially furnished so will not qualify for W&T.
Just before letting commenced the client purchased a new washing machine, dryer and cooker as the old ones were out of date and would not pass the electrical tests for let properties. Can these costs be claimed against the rents?
Under renewals you can claim for replacements but not the original items, these are replacements but the original costs of the items would not have been claimed against any rents so I assume I can not make a claim for these replacements.
I spoke to a few collagues and some said they would as they are replacements.
I would be interested in others views and why/if they calim such expenses.
- Digita in the cloud 114 2
- Tax relief when working away 41 1
- Anybody still doing returns? 927 36
- Self assessment for directors 64 1
- Tax relief when working away 145 3
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 244 9
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,304 20
- Designated sole Residence 232 5
- A little knowledge 269 5
- Scratch Head 331 1
- Year end 258 2
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 318 13
- Clothing 626 19
- Investment properties/freehold land 155 6
- Parent and subsidiary... 187 5
- Identity check problem 1,515 14
- No tax returns for 6 year 214 1
- Capital allowances on Software 239 2
- Trading Losses - 3 Year Carry Back 137 3
- Company director and KIT days 137 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 962
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 685
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 632
- Latest phishing scam 611
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 448
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 333
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 266
- Sabbatical payments 226
- Still Christmas at HMRC? 211
- Negligible Value Claim 205