Rental expenses for replacements
I have a client who in the middle of 2011/12 moved out of the family home and commenced to let it (it had been let before but stopped in 2004).
The property is partially furnished so will not qualify for W&T.
Just before letting commenced the client purchased a new washing machine, dryer and cooker as the old ones were out of date and would not pass the electrical tests for let properties. Can these costs be claimed against the rents?
Under renewals you can claim for replacements but not the original items, these are replacements but the original costs of the items would not have been claimed against any rents so I assume I can not make a claim for these replacements.
I spoke to a few collagues and some said they would as they are replacements.
I would be interested in others views and why/if they calim such expenses.
- Why should I retain membership? 2,659 46
- Recharge for private use of a company car 165 3
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 322 5
- Funding Circle Servicing Fee 125 2
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,252 12
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 386 5
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,458 18
- Vat 244 4
- CT/CIS offset 116 2
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 168 4
- Trade name 170 3
- Musician - Allowable Travel expenses 129 1
- New business - journal entries 309 20
- B2B vat in the EU 109 2
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 311 18
- VAT on deposits 204 2
- VAT clearance for determining the correct rate to apply 127 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 406 12
- option to tax 204 1
- Share of profits from building society 104 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 781
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 707
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 388
- Social investment tax relief 206
- Digita Hosted Software 199
- Call Centre Data Costs 192
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 159
- Travel costs and contractors 151
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 145
- Certificates of tax deposit 136