Rental expenses for replacements
I have a client who in the middle of 2011/12 moved out of the family home and commenced to let it (it had been let before but stopped in 2004).
The property is partially furnished so will not qualify for W&T.
Just before letting commenced the client purchased a new washing machine, dryer and cooker as the old ones were out of date and would not pass the electrical tests for let properties. Can these costs be claimed against the rents?
Under renewals you can claim for replacements but not the original items, these are replacements but the original costs of the items would not have been claimed against any rents so I assume I can not make a claim for these replacements.
I spoke to a few collagues and some said they would as they are replacements.
I would be interested in others views and why/if they calim such expenses.
- General tax book with planning 130 2
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,179 69
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 264 11
- Gift of property & improvements 101 2
- Error in past Corporate tax return 328 5
- VAT Invoice 111 4
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 792 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 115 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 198 3
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 162 7
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 135 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 434 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 359 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 245 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 177 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 258 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 157 4
- SA302's anyone?? 530 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,641 41
- Renting for military reasons 189 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,619
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 900
- International interest certificate 509
- NOVA 367
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 290
- Management expenses for investment company 263
- Bonus Bonds 260
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 171
- tax on apprenticeship income 171
- P11D benefit received by widow 148