Rental or trading income / CGT or income tax?
My client has a large number of properties, all of which were refurbished and are now rented out.
Some are intended to always be rented out and are held in a 'Property Rental' partnership whilst others, which are intended to be sold at a gain, are held in a 'Property Development' partnership. As such, the expenditure incurred in the property development partnership on legal fees, mortgage interest etc are offset against trading income.
If the properties in the property development partnership are rented out prior to being sold, is it acceptable to treat this income as trading income and will the eventual gain/loss on the disposal still be a charge to income tax, rather than CGT?
Advice much appreciated, thanks in anticipation.
- Transfer of Software to sister company 39 1
- Your comments please 148 4
- CGT history of shares 103 2
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 661 14
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 182 1
- Ordering same-day transactions 86 2
- As a soletrader taxi service, would purchasing low emissions taxi-cars qualify for AIA capital allowance? 178 2
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 53 1
- Closing my business down 328 20
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 120 1
- Recording Calls 68 1
- Accounting for reversed transaction 72 1
- Scams are not always obvious 2,277 37
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,494 21
- What do you all do in your spare time? 917 36
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 74 1
- VAT flat rate scheme 164 2
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 256 3
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 255 4
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 203 6
- Moving away from CCH software 959
- QROP pension input amounts 446
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 389
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 368
- fraud 292
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 265
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 234
- Construction CIS LLP Company 218
- EPS and CIS deductions 210
- Out of time or not? 193