Rental or trading income / CGT or income tax?
My client has a large number of properties, all of which were refurbished and are now rented out.
Some are intended to always be rented out and are held in a 'Property Rental' partnership whilst others, which are intended to be sold at a gain, are held in a 'Property Development' partnership. As such, the expenditure incurred in the property development partnership on legal fees, mortgage interest etc are offset against trading income.
If the properties in the property development partnership are rented out prior to being sold, is it acceptable to treat this income as trading income and will the eventual gain/loss on the disposal still be a charge to income tax, rather than CGT?
Advice much appreciated, thanks in anticipation.
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,179 44
- R&D tax claim 233 7
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 520 18
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 502 9
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 163 7
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 122 2
- Gift to employee 365 12
- Tax Allowance on University Course 133 1
- Transfer of a business 120 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,126 22
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 407 8
- VAT Cross Border Invoicing 111 2
- Sage Import Data 308 6
- Slight twist on employment related securities 241 1
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 115 2
- Best time software for small practice? 226 2
- Residents Association Corp Tax 317 13
- private to company car? 366 9
- Which address 1,024 11
- Do I charge VAT for event I held in Paris 272 5
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 475
- CTA study material 453
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 329
- Pre incorp expenses 308
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 265
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 253
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 203
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 155
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 139
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 133