Rental or trading income / CGT or income tax?
My client has a large number of properties, all of which were refurbished and are now rented out.
Some are intended to always be rented out and are held in a 'Property Rental' partnership whilst others, which are intended to be sold at a gain, are held in a 'Property Development' partnership. As such, the expenditure incurred in the property development partnership on legal fees, mortgage interest etc are offset against trading income.
If the properties in the property development partnership are rented out prior to being sold, is it acceptable to treat this income as trading income and will the eventual gain/loss on the disposal still be a charge to income tax, rather than CGT?
Advice much appreciated, thanks in anticipation.
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 24 1
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 79 7
- Personal pension 378 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 200 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,182 11
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 871 27
- Cocaine anyone? 344 5
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 84 3
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,492 22
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 300 4
- ACCA - still making me laugh 505 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 272 1
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 356 11
- Tax return software for remote working 500 4
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 602 9
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 479 9
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 466 9
- How to purchase business premises? 200 2
- Will I need to resign? 873 10
- Childcare vouchers 216 3
- Hive up 478
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 441
- corporate hierarchy 419
- Advice - 253
- Amortisation of Goodwill 228
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 214
- WWOOFers 207
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 196
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 185
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 161