Rental or trading income / CGT or income tax?
My client has a large number of properties, all of which were refurbished and are now rented out.
Some are intended to always be rented out and are held in a 'Property Rental' partnership whilst others, which are intended to be sold at a gain, are held in a 'Property Development' partnership. As such, the expenditure incurred in the property development partnership on legal fees, mortgage interest etc are offset against trading income.
If the properties in the property development partnership are rented out prior to being sold, is it acceptable to treat this income as trading income and will the eventual gain/loss on the disposal still be a charge to income tax, rather than CGT?
Advice much appreciated, thanks in anticipation.
- Limited company buying a car 137 4
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 254 15
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 457 10
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 543 6
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 166 7
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 286 4
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 106 2
- ACCA practice certificates 492 5
- Limited company buying director's car 286 10
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 73 1
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 89 1
- WC's and capital allowances 172 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 300 13
- Dress code 1,545 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 475 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 256 6
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 377 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 472 23
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 183 4
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 105 3
- CTA study material 767
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 477
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 396
- Employment related securities question 308
- AIM Stocks and IHT 279
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 257
- Expat pension contributions? 255
- Trust for Employee 236
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 174
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 147