Rental or trading income / CGT or income tax?
My client has a large number of properties, all of which were refurbished and are now rented out.
Some are intended to always be rented out and are held in a 'Property Rental' partnership whilst others, which are intended to be sold at a gain, are held in a 'Property Development' partnership. As such, the expenditure incurred in the property development partnership on legal fees, mortgage interest etc are offset against trading income.
If the properties in the property development partnership are rented out prior to being sold, is it acceptable to treat this income as trading income and will the eventual gain/loss on the disposal still be a charge to income tax, rather than CGT?
Advice much appreciated, thanks in anticipation.
- Advice on letting a client go ? 567 11
- client can't/won't pay 1,512 27
- Loss carry back in Taxfiler 24 2
- Most cr*p bank account ever? 93 1
- calculate mortgage interest 298 2
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 691 26
- Directors NIC's 130 5
- VAT field when booking bills for organisations on VAT FRS 57 1
- Entrepreneurs relief 138 2
- Declaration of interest 181 7
- Do we have to register for VAT? 402 8
- New client forgot to take stock count at the year end 237 6
- A Director of a Ltd Company let a general Manager run the company, and if anything goes wrong the general manager is responsible? 84 1
- White van man 828 27
- Close Ltd and be taxed as a sole trader 141 5
- Company Van taxable benefit 146 4
- Reclaiming VAT on unpaid invoices 99 3
- Unbelievable!! 748 6
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 384 1
- Receipt bank 297 6
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 872
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 568
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 533
- Latest phishing scam 463
- Entrepreneurs' relief 412
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 335
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 317
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 239
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 219
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 162