Rental or trading income / CGT or income tax?
My client has a large number of properties, all of which were refurbished and are now rented out.
Some are intended to always be rented out and are held in a 'Property Rental' partnership whilst others, which are intended to be sold at a gain, are held in a 'Property Development' partnership. As such, the expenditure incurred in the property development partnership on legal fees, mortgage interest etc are offset against trading income.
If the properties in the property development partnership are rented out prior to being sold, is it acceptable to treat this income as trading income and will the eventual gain/loss on the disposal still be a charge to income tax, rather than CGT?
Advice much appreciated, thanks in anticipation.
- Self-employed 107 4
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 365 5
- Are there any auto-enrolment engagement letter templates? 935 19
- VAT commercial property TOGC 82 2
- Audacity 1,398 24
- minority interest discount 186 6
- Allowable for Corporation Tax? 409 11
- Seeking advice: Need some help with Company Accounts 606 9
- Microsoft One Drive 492 17
- Not a question but made my day 1,241 24
- Software Sales 128 2
- Seeking advice: Freehold Pub Lease 356 10
- Amending 13-14 sole trader return to reflect increased profit in 14-15 341 5
- vat gross margins 136 1
- Winning clients from retiring accountant - ethics/morals 1,607 13
- A rant - Debt Management units vs PAYE office response times 192 1
- How do I know if I have to apply a reverse charge mechanism 213 4
- On to a loser here? 1,199 4
- Client right to working papers 1,379 9
- 2020 Annual Conference 147 1
- NHS finance professionals 604
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 391
- Foreign Pension Contribution 367
- vat gross profit percentage margins 338
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 332
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 310
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 275
- Quickbooks online filing of VAT 263
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 238
- IFA income recognition & reporting 202