Rental or trading income / CGT or income tax?
My client has a large number of properties, all of which were refurbished and are now rented out.
Some are intended to always be rented out and are held in a 'Property Rental' partnership whilst others, which are intended to be sold at a gain, are held in a 'Property Development' partnership. As such, the expenditure incurred in the property development partnership on legal fees, mortgage interest etc are offset against trading income.
If the properties in the property development partnership are rented out prior to being sold, is it acceptable to treat this income as trading income and will the eventual gain/loss on the disposal still be a charge to income tax, rather than CGT?
Advice much appreciated, thanks in anticipation.
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 492 10
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 181 6
- The stupidity continues 498 18
- Calculating capital gains tax for non-residents UK residential property 94 1
- transactions after account have been closed 120 3
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,322 25
- New Employers Helpline 189 4
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 192 3
- Software recommendations 254 1
- Share transfer question 368 17
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 309 7
- qualifying for 1/9th tax credit on foreign dividend 168 2
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,417 19
- Overlap relief 753 19
- What is IRIS World like? 358 8
- Pension contributions 372 10
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 496 11
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 187 1
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 272 8
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 208 1
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 437
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 433
- WIP Software 297
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 288
- No payroll scheme in place 231
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 228
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 205
- Is there anything wrong with this? 199
- Small Part Disposal of Property 183
- Uncommercial property business 176