Rental or trading income / CGT or income tax?
My client has a large number of properties, all of which were refurbished and are now rented out.
Some are intended to always be rented out and are held in a 'Property Rental' partnership whilst others, which are intended to be sold at a gain, are held in a 'Property Development' partnership. As such, the expenditure incurred in the property development partnership on legal fees, mortgage interest etc are offset against trading income.
If the properties in the property development partnership are rented out prior to being sold, is it acceptable to treat this income as trading income and will the eventual gain/loss on the disposal still be a charge to income tax, rather than CGT?
Advice much appreciated, thanks in anticipation.
- CONVERSAION OF DIRECTOR LOAN INTO EQUITY 128 5
- CGT on second home? 228 4
- Interflora florist 161 2
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 868 27
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 210 8
- Double tax agreement - do you show income on UK return even if the DTA says it is taxed in the other country? 128 2
- Problem ex client...again.. 1,357 13
- Accounting for VAT not yet paid in year end 374 10
- Audit procedures on a dormant company 243 3
- More HMRC on gov.uk 392 8
- Cash withdrawn and not accounted for 368 5
- Completing RP1 form in re Redundancy /Insolvency 247 8
- VAT in Sage 174 3
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 491 10
- Expense receipt from previous quarter not included in VAT return 280 4
- Know it alls (who don't) 1,323 23
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 573 1
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 346 10
- Transition to FRS102 - goodwill 526 14
- Employed clients and expenses 852 16
- NOVA 495
- Bonus Bonds 384
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 364
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 280
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 244
- Friendly Pensions 188
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 167
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 152
- Finance Lease 147
- Company Car Lease 144