Rental or trading income / CGT or income tax?
My client has a large number of properties, all of which were refurbished and are now rented out.
Some are intended to always be rented out and are held in a 'Property Rental' partnership whilst others, which are intended to be sold at a gain, are held in a 'Property Development' partnership. As such, the expenditure incurred in the property development partnership on legal fees, mortgage interest etc are offset against trading income.
If the properties in the property development partnership are rented out prior to being sold, is it acceptable to treat this income as trading income and will the eventual gain/loss on the disposal still be a charge to income tax, rather than CGT?
Advice much appreciated, thanks in anticipation.
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 46 1
- Overpayment relief claim 133 5
- Recommendation for a good website on exchange rate forecast 118 9
- Charity reserves 122 3
- Have i messed up? 614 10
- rates of pay query 184 2
- Year end 338 4
- Test purchases in VAT enquiries 191 3
- Comments on this scenario 64 1
- Related Parties Note 407 9
- Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) 80 1
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 118 4
- loss on carbon credits 98 2
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 558 9
- SAGE con 178 3
- Dazed & confused 169 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 231 2
- How to prepare and Finalize Vat company accounts 228 9
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,534 63
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 510 28
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,004
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 543
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 359
- Tax efficient holding company structure 286
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 271
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 212
- Charge out rates in London? 208
- Pension contributions higher rate extension? 180
- Personal consumption by landlord 178
- Interest on Loan to a Company 172