Repaying Child Benefit for 2013.
We act for the wife out of a couple with two children.
The wife's income is just over the child benefit withdrawal threshold. The husband's income is more.
The wife is on self-assessment and the husband is not.
They have just realised that each thought the other had repaid the overpaid child benefit, but infact neither has.
The wife thinks that only she can do this now, and also that only she can stop the receipt of tax credits. However when we read up on this it seems the highest earner has to make the repayment. If we try and amend the wife's return for it, the calculation does not result in very much of it being repaid.
Are we correct in thinking that the only way to repay the overpaid benefit is for the husband to register for self assessment and declare the overpayment and this will result in penalties (including the £15 a day)?
Who can stop the receipt of payments going forward please?
- Chargeable Gains - CT600 28 1
- Auto enrollment. What's the basis for contribution ? 350 9
- VAT underpayment 114 5
- notarising & legalising documents 39 1
- HMRC CT600 TOOL 179 3
- Contracting, Subcontracting and Agency Worker Regs 217 4
- National Living Wage: creating jobs or unemployment? 146 3
- Company Van 304 8
- Shortening an Accounting Reference Date 950 19
- Sage Drive Queue.dta file lock out 389 10
- Connected person and properties 180 4
- Business only use of company car 1,611 35
- cash basis 140 1
- Restoring a Ltd company which had been struck off 325 8
- question 299 2
- Do your DIY clients ever get their books right ? 729 13
- Overlap profits 424 14
- How do I correct a previous accountants major mistake on PAYE/SA? 835 11
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,352 12
- HMRC Security Deposit 488 12
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 390
- Any thoughts on Capium? 358
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 279
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 254
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 242
- French ConnectionUK 192
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 183
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 177
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 175
- APN's 163