Repaying Child Benefit for 2013.
We act for the wife out of a couple with two children.
The wife's income is just over the child benefit withdrawal threshold. The husband's income is more.
The wife is on self-assessment and the husband is not.
They have just realised that each thought the other had repaid the overpaid child benefit, but infact neither has.
The wife thinks that only she can do this now, and also that only she can stop the receipt of tax credits. However when we read up on this it seems the highest earner has to make the repayment. If we try and amend the wife's return for it, the calculation does not result in very much of it being repaid.
Are we correct in thinking that the only way to repay the overpaid benefit is for the husband to register for self assessment and declare the overpayment and this will result in penalties (including the £15 a day)?
Who can stop the receipt of payments going forward please?
- Pool vehicle with age restriction 225 6
- How to start accounting company? 283 8
- Renewals basis for Residential Letting Property 69 1
- Directors and PAYE 113 13
- CIS reclaim for company without a payroll 141 3
- dividends from a UK company when working overseas 125 3
- How does one compete? 768 10
- Income £10k salary and £20k net dividends 587 19
- Income for self employed associate dentist? 161 2
- HMRC's "HVA" list .... High Volume Agents 825 12
- Employee tears suit... 457 9
- VAT within EC 213 6
- About your hairdresser clients 652 23
- Deadline for appeal against late filing 242 4
- Keytime 443 5
- Nine-Page Engagement Letters 809 14
- VAT on entertaining - Gross amount on VAT return 133 1
- Great Service 1,317 17
- Ouch. Those penalties sting 2,693 29
- Redundancy for husband and wife ltd co 249 2
- Sanzar 535
- Digital marketing focus group 418
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 391
- Sainsbury's mangement 388
- Continuity Agreement 358
- Avanti Accounts 358
- Buyback 312
- Aggresive sales from Iris 264
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 259
- Charity volunteers and mileage 221