Repaying Child Benefit for 2013.
We act for the wife out of a couple with two children.
The wife's income is just over the child benefit withdrawal threshold. The husband's income is more.
The wife is on self-assessment and the husband is not.
They have just realised that each thought the other had repaid the overpaid child benefit, but infact neither has.
The wife thinks that only she can do this now, and also that only she can stop the receipt of tax credits. However when we read up on this it seems the highest earner has to make the repayment. If we try and amend the wife's return for it, the calculation does not result in very much of it being repaid.
Are we correct in thinking that the only way to repay the overpaid benefit is for the husband to register for self assessment and declare the overpayment and this will result in penalties (including the £15 a day)?
Who can stop the receipt of payments going forward please?
- Parent and subsidiary... 114 3
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,212 17
- Clothing 531 14
- Anybody still doing returns? 758 31
- Change to PAYE TAX CODE 171 5
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 180 7
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 355 16
- Designated sole Residence 155 2
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 729 15
- Anyone know what this is? 267 6
- HMRC filing meltdown? 911 27
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 534 7
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 276 9
- no utr 306 8
- client can't/won't pay 2,143 49
- Director drawings 611 32
- Tax Returns for non residents 298 2
- Investment properties/freehold land 93 1
- Capital Loss 140 3
- LLP formed in 2013 112 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 956
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 678
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 625
- Latest phishing scam 600
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 439
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 327
- Scratch Head 266
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 257
- Sabbatical payments 219
- Negligible Value Claim 198