Repaying Child Benefit for 2013.
We act for the wife out of a couple with two children.
The wife's income is just over the child benefit withdrawal threshold. The husband's income is more.
The wife is on self-assessment and the husband is not.
They have just realised that each thought the other had repaid the overpaid child benefit, but infact neither has.
The wife thinks that only she can do this now, and also that only she can stop the receipt of tax credits. However when we read up on this it seems the highest earner has to make the repayment. If we try and amend the wife's return for it, the calculation does not result in very much of it being repaid.
Are we correct in thinking that the only way to repay the overpaid benefit is for the husband to register for self assessment and declare the overpayment and this will result in penalties (including the £15 a day)?
Who can stop the receipt of payments going forward please?
- New Incorporations - ERTNAC hoax - anyone else seen this? 1,041 12
- THEATRE SHOW - HIRE - VAT PAYABLE ON TICKET SALES 57 2
- Anyone else still working this week? 396 13
- Childcare vouchers 333 7
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,407 9
- Using home as clients registered address 109 3
- Client being taken to court and really do not know what to do 511 12
- Section 165 TCGA 1992 - time limit? 100 2
- How much does the company pay 697 30
- AIA 284 18
- Van Benefit in Kind Query 173 5
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 256 2
- I have done a terrible thing 779 15
- HMRC property income enquiry 361 8
- Not paying accountant 1,869 46
- Cash basis VAT return 103 1
- VAT on Business Premises 101 2
- Consolidation Software 145 2
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,213 32
- LLp Profits 144 5
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 504
- corporate hierarchy 468
- Advice - 320
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 271
- WWOOFers 260
- The booking.com con 243
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 237
- Cocaine anyone? 225
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 215
- UK State pension paid in NZ 176