Repaying Child Benefit for 2013.
We act for the wife out of a couple with two children.
The wife's income is just over the child benefit withdrawal threshold. The husband's income is more.
The wife is on self-assessment and the husband is not.
They have just realised that each thought the other had repaid the overpaid child benefit, but infact neither has.
The wife thinks that only she can do this now, and also that only she can stop the receipt of tax credits. However when we read up on this it seems the highest earner has to make the repayment. If we try and amend the wife's return for it, the calculation does not result in very much of it being repaid.
Are we correct in thinking that the only way to repay the overpaid benefit is for the husband to register for self assessment and declare the overpayment and this will result in penalties (including the £15 a day)?
Who can stop the receipt of payments going forward please?
- Dividend Vouchers 146 2
- Directors and unemployment benefit 278 13
- Personal Contract Purchase 286 2
- Can a director pay for their childs tuition through the company 440 8
- Donaldson v HMRC - result?? 567 7
- new capital structure ltd with investors 252 3
- Wages paid into another persons bank account 404 8
- Have I made a mistake... 721 6
- Directors need for self assessment? 653 19
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 1,542 21
- Minutes & Dividend Vouchers 203 6
- How do you account in the VAT return for 216 3
- Night out allowance 311 2
- Missing accountant! 1,264 5
- Sage Import Data 115 2
- Selling a company asset below market value 267 3
- Paying Personal Allowance in one go 314 6
- CT loss memorandum 81 1
- Accommodation provided to employees for short term contract away from home 230 3
- Property Development 418 9
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 412
- CTA study material 377
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 278
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 256
- Pre incorp expenses 221
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 207
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 195
- Slight twist on employment related securities 185
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 133
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 126