Repaying Child Benefit for 2013.
We act for the wife out of a couple with two children.
The wife's income is just over the child benefit withdrawal threshold. The husband's income is more.
The wife is on self-assessment and the husband is not.
They have just realised that each thought the other had repaid the overpaid child benefit, but infact neither has.
The wife thinks that only she can do this now, and also that only she can stop the receipt of tax credits. However when we read up on this it seems the highest earner has to make the repayment. If we try and amend the wife's return for it, the calculation does not result in very much of it being repaid.
Are we correct in thinking that the only way to repay the overpaid benefit is for the husband to register for self assessment and declare the overpayment and this will result in penalties (including the £15 a day)?
Who can stop the receipt of payments going forward please?
- Does anyone have a formula to compare employment to self-employment rates? 439 9
- Can I zero rate the VAT? 108 3
- HMRC 2009/10 Return 244 4
- New Practice 176 12
- BTC Software 29 1
- Directors loan accounts 55 2
- accounts & tax software for small accountancy firms 799 28
- Goods Purchased for Rental 529 29
- Data Protection and emailing documents 1,135 16
- UK Tax Treatment of Finance Lease Payments 90 1
- Taxfiler V's BTC 621 23
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,991 25
- Valuation of business 309 5
- CGT implications for gift of shares to connected person 162 7
- Dividend Payments 418 10
- I.d for vat registration 188 7
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 154 4
- builder's 'cost only' job 204 1
- Myfirmsapp 636 13
- Filing past due corporation tax returns 290 1
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,010
- International interest certificate 588
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 515
- NOVA 472
- Bonus Bonds 356
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 335
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 257
- Payment for Promotional Samples 229
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 223
- Quickbooks 2015 152