Repaying Child Benefit for 2013.
We act for the wife out of a couple with two children.
The wife's income is just over the child benefit withdrawal threshold. The husband's income is more.
The wife is on self-assessment and the husband is not.
They have just realised that each thought the other had repaid the overpaid child benefit, but infact neither has.
The wife thinks that only she can do this now, and also that only she can stop the receipt of tax credits. However when we read up on this it seems the highest earner has to make the repayment. If we try and amend the wife's return for it, the calculation does not result in very much of it being repaid.
Are we correct in thinking that the only way to repay the overpaid benefit is for the husband to register for self assessment and declare the overpayment and this will result in penalties (including the £15 a day)?
Who can stop the receipt of payments going forward please?
- Redundancy pay for directors? 162 5
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 404 5
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,768 47
- Small company audit 205 8
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 204 5
- What can my client claim r & d on? 212 5
- Problem partnership fees 118 1
- Car financed by employee 101 1
- Potential Customer Under VAT Threshold 96 1
- Undisclosed income 170 3
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 294 8
- DEATH OF A SHAREHOLDER NO SHAREHOLDER AGREEMENT 245 4
- Private Investment Company 138 1
- How familiar are accountants with community interest companies? 119 1
- New company - form a group? 201 3
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 799 17
- CIC Company 434 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,709 57
- Is this a scam? 823 8
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 163 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 605
- Cancelled 350
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 337
- Cancelled 288
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 260
- Probiz 247
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 203
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 188
- Car leasing scheme 184
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 178