Repaying Child Benefit for 2013.
We act for the wife out of a couple with two children.
The wife's income is just over the child benefit withdrawal threshold. The husband's income is more.
The wife is on self-assessment and the husband is not.
They have just realised that each thought the other had repaid the overpaid child benefit, but infact neither has.
The wife thinks that only she can do this now, and also that only she can stop the receipt of tax credits. However when we read up on this it seems the highest earner has to make the repayment. If we try and amend the wife's return for it, the calculation does not result in very much of it being repaid.
Are we correct in thinking that the only way to repay the overpaid benefit is for the husband to register for self assessment and declare the overpayment and this will result in penalties (including the £15 a day)?
Who can stop the receipt of payments going forward please?
- Reimbursing director travel costs 400 6
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,972 45
- Love is in the air 289 3
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,672 20
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 239 8
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 376 8
- Client Paperwork Retention? 495 11
- Sage 50 VAT Return 232 2
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 516 1
- Paying Son 646 18
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 342 7
- HMRC accounting 365 3
- Employers NI allowance 455 6
- Dividend taxation 365 3
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 276 1
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 185 2
- Tax Overlap Reporting 254 3
- Buy to Let Property! Shell I buy or not? 454 4
- iris update 11.9.2 453 7
- HMRC Discovery powers 287 3
- DTA tie-breaker issue 295
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 275
- CGT for NOn UK residents 274
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 264
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 246
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 234
- Apprenticeship Levy 231
- Capital Gains personal representatives 215
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 209
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 191