Request for Comparison Quote
I got a call this morning looking for a "comparison quote". At least the gentleman was honest and said he was going to a meeting with his accountant in 30 minutes and would I oblige him by giving him a quote so he knows what the ballpark is. It was for payroll for X number of employees. I told him I would call back but he wanted an answer right away. I replied that I would need to think about it and asked for his email address. I was preparing for a meeting when he called and told him so, but he was quite insistent on getting the quote immediately. He wasn't interested in having a chat about his business or even getting information on who I was and what my qualifications were.
Anyway, I did respond by email within about 10 minutes, but had visions of him producing my email at the meeting with his current accountant as a stick to beat him/her with.
I have been in situations in my previous job where I have spent hours producing a quote for large jobs having more than a sneaking suspicion that we were one of the three alternative quotes with no hope of getting the business. I was right every time.
So my question is, in these situations are you better sending a quote anyway and not spending time on it, sending a detailed quote and/or requesting a meeting with the client (i.e. doing things "properly" like you would do with a real prospect) or telling them politely that you are not interested in being "one of their quotes."
I am new in business so I don't want to annoy any of my target market. I live in a small town where everyone knows each other. But I still don't want to be treated like an idiot.
- LLP - Member leaving 13 2
- How would you account for warranty? 65 1
- Sweet Tooth 50 2
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 997 12
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 162 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 145 2
- trading or dormant 75 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 54 1
- tax credits 96 5
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 491 19
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 166 6
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 553 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 249 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 99 1
- Tax Return Deadlines 184 3
- Foreign income for self employed 117 1
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 617 18
- Sage help...written off bad debt, done year end now bad payer wants to start to pay 69 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 486 10
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 193 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 856
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 512
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 323
- How to format a stock book 300
- Tax efficient holding company structure 238
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 232
- Investment property company accounts template 222
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 216
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 184
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 155