Research and Development Tax Credits
I'm trying to understand the details of R&D Tax Credits and have some questions - could anyone help please?
Firstly under the expenditure heading Staff Providers, HMRC say ‘ The staff provider needs to contract with the individual whose services they supply’ – what does this mean exactly? If you have the (pretty common) scenario of a company > agency > service company >service company director, and the director of the service company is the technical expert carrying out work on an R&D project for the main company, can the main company claim this as R&D expenditure?
Secondly if work is subcontracted out can this expenditure be claimed, and if so am I correct in thinking that the amount of the claim is 65% of the expenditure involved (I'm not quite sure of the logic behind 65%, is it half of the 130% large company %?).
Thirdly does the 7.5 million Euro upper limit specifically apply to the SME scheme only?
Fourthly Capital Expenditure. If equipment is bought specifically for the R&D project, can 100% of the expenditure be claimed, but it is not claimed as a CA but instead added to the year’s R&D expenditure (so ends up as part of the 200%/220% claim)? This being with the proviso that when the equipment is sold the balancing charge reduces the R&D expenditure in a future year (and what happens if the equipment sale is in a year when there isn’t any R&D expenditure)?
Finally is there a recommended book on R&D Tax Credits?
Thanks for any help.
- Correct tax & VAT treatment of local overnight expenses 208 4
- Secondment expenses 135 3
- VAT Option to tax 434 15
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 84 4
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 131 1
- Unaudited accounts and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation 73 3
- Is VAT payable on insurance claims received ?? 67 3
- late vat registration and immediate deregistration 123 3
- VAT Registration 317 5
- CIS and Close Company 47 1
- should Van be included in plant or motor vehicles? 75 2
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 231 6
- PPR qualifying period while living in employer accommodation? 113 3
- How far back can you get dates of property purchases 61 1
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,247 19
- husband and wife dividends 408 11
- Capital allowance vehicle exchange 150 5
- What is considered an acceptable price for arable farming land 309 6
- Sage Instant Accounts 76 2
- LLP members share of profits 569 31
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 903
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 634
- Free Tax Legislation? 394
- Director Loan account operation 393
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 317
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 313
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 284
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 219
- Paye procedures for CVA 216
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 177