Research and Development Tax Credits
I'm trying to understand the details of R&D Tax Credits and have some questions - could anyone help please?
Firstly under the expenditure heading Staff Providers, HMRC say ‘ The staff provider needs to contract with the individual whose services they supply’ – what does this mean exactly? If you have the (pretty common) scenario of a company > agency > service company >service company director, and the director of the service company is the technical expert carrying out work on an R&D project for the main company, can the main company claim this as R&D expenditure?
Secondly if work is subcontracted out can this expenditure be claimed, and if so am I correct in thinking that the amount of the claim is 65% of the expenditure involved (I'm not quite sure of the logic behind 65%, is it half of the 130% large company %?).
Thirdly does the 7.5 million Euro upper limit specifically apply to the SME scheme only?
Fourthly Capital Expenditure. If equipment is bought specifically for the R&D project, can 100% of the expenditure be claimed, but it is not claimed as a CA but instead added to the year’s R&D expenditure (so ends up as part of the 200%/220% claim)? This being with the proviso that when the equipment is sold the balancing charge reduces the R&D expenditure in a future year (and what happens if the equipment sale is in a year when there isn’t any R&D expenditure)?
Finally is there a recommended book on R&D Tax Credits?
Thanks for any help.
- HMRC Enquiry 424 2
- Cashback 294 2
- Builder Gifted Deposit and capital gains 582 24
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 898 13
- another ir35!!!! 163 2
- Subscriptions not on HMRC list of approved bodies 228 1
- Settlement, or any other issues? 71 1
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 87 3
- Buying blocks of fees 351 2
- Practical Query: Entrepreneurs and PPR Reliefs 267 3
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 165 2
- Daily Penalties 2012/13 160 1
- IR35 & Managed Service Companies 256 1
- Previous accountant filed dormant accounts in error 159 1
- Wear and tear allowance 324 4
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 661 24
- Husband and Wife Holiday letting profit split 141 3
- tax insider 389 5
- Tax on sale of shares 106 2
- Amazon - digital book sales 234 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,423
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 735
- Any views 670
- HMRC Employers Diary 499
- International interest certificate 414
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 375
- Sale of business 325
- NOVA 237
- Advertising services? 226
- IRIS Open Books problem 217