Research and Development Tax Credits
I'm trying to understand the details of R&D Tax Credits and have some questions - could anyone help please?
Firstly under the expenditure heading Staff Providers, HMRC say ‘ The staff provider needs to contract with the individual whose services they supply’ – what does this mean exactly? If you have the (pretty common) scenario of a company > agency > service company >service company director, and the director of the service company is the technical expert carrying out work on an R&D project for the main company, can the main company claim this as R&D expenditure?
Secondly if work is subcontracted out can this expenditure be claimed, and if so am I correct in thinking that the amount of the claim is 65% of the expenditure involved (I'm not quite sure of the logic behind 65%, is it half of the 130% large company %?).
Thirdly does the 7.5 million Euro upper limit specifically apply to the SME scheme only?
Fourthly Capital Expenditure. If equipment is bought specifically for the R&D project, can 100% of the expenditure be claimed, but it is not claimed as a CA but instead added to the year’s R&D expenditure (so ends up as part of the 200%/220% claim)? This being with the proviso that when the equipment is sold the balancing charge reduces the R&D expenditure in a future year (and what happens if the equipment sale is in a year when there isn’t any R&D expenditure)?
Finally is there a recommended book on R&D Tax Credits?
Thanks for any help.
- Sale of an investment between group companies 131 6
- Gift to employee 250 5
- Residents Association Corp Tax 276 12
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 342 15
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,002 40
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 364 7
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 954 21
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 1,936 27
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 149 5
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 303 1
- Unquoted company valuation multiples 51 1
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 257 6
- private to company car? 300 6
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 865 13
- Question re Career choice... 1,415 9
- Owner/Director consultant plus employment elsewhere 233 7
- Which address 848 10
- What is the best practice for running a roofing company in Sage 217 6
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 348 6
- What is the reasoning behind HMRC letter re high income child benefit charge? 367 8
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 462
- CTA study material 444
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 313
- Pre incorp expenses 292
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 254
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 244
- Slight twist on employment related securities 221
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 207
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 194
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 134