Research and Development Tax Credits
I'm trying to understand the details of R&D Tax Credits and have some questions - could anyone help please?
Firstly under the expenditure heading Staff Providers, HMRC say ‘ The staff provider needs to contract with the individual whose services they supply’ – what does this mean exactly? If you have the (pretty common) scenario of a company > agency > service company >service company director, and the director of the service company is the technical expert carrying out work on an R&D project for the main company, can the main company claim this as R&D expenditure?
Secondly if work is subcontracted out can this expenditure be claimed, and if so am I correct in thinking that the amount of the claim is 65% of the expenditure involved (I'm not quite sure of the logic behind 65%, is it half of the 130% large company %?).
Thirdly does the 7.5 million Euro upper limit specifically apply to the SME scheme only?
Fourthly Capital Expenditure. If equipment is bought specifically for the R&D project, can 100% of the expenditure be claimed, but it is not claimed as a CA but instead added to the year’s R&D expenditure (so ends up as part of the 200%/220% claim)? This being with the proviso that when the equipment is sold the balancing charge reduces the R&D expenditure in a future year (and what happens if the equipment sale is in a year when there isn’t any R&D expenditure)?
Finally is there a recommended book on R&D Tax Credits?
Thanks for any help.
- RBS asking client to switch accountant 14 1
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 596 25
- Administrative restoration 112 2
- Flat Rate VAT and EU sales (Non VAT) 159 4
- Directors Remuneration 2014/15 and NIC Allowance and Excel Spreadsheet 55 2
- Companies House incorporation service 386 13
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 298 2
- P35 and Service Company questions 189 4
- VAT, vans, sole traders and business use. 1,616 13
- Bereavment payment 153 3
- Double tax treaty Italy and UK 116 1
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 1,164 7
- Can anyone advise on the best VAT Scheme to change to? 293 4
- Apologies for reposting this but first post was on Friday afternoon! 375 2
- CT600 Computations - Company Tax Return help 1,310 14
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 168 2
- Factors affecting tax charge FRS 19 (marginal rate) 91 1
- VAT chargeable to conference attendees 205 6
- Long period of account for Corporation Tax 291 7
- NIC £2000 Allowance - Care Support Worker 175 3
- Xtuple 550
- Qtac payroll for bureau 377
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 322
- Industrial & Provident Societies 315
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 300
- CIS schemes 225
- Domain name sale and limited company 206
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 192
- Investment 189
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 182