resi property - owned by company -mixed use
I would normally shy away from advising a client from owning his home within a company, but rather against the grain, that is what is happening!
The property is a fairly large old building consisting of a three bedroom owners accomodation, plus a part sectioned off and extended and used as a bunkhouse. The lodging part sleeps 26 and brings in approx £60k rents per year. The company also does adventure trail walks so it all fits together reasonably well. (further downside in that vat will need to be accounted for on the £60k).
I advised that there will be a bik on the provision of living accomodation, may i just check my rationale.
The cost of the whole property is £500k. We estimate that the value of the living accomodation is £300k. I am going to assume for the purposes of this that the rateable value is £7k pa.
I calculate that the annual bik using s107:
7,000 + ((300-75)*4%)) = £16,000
Q, are we able to apportion the cost of the property in this way (i.e. 300 out of 500).
Q, he is personally providing £100k of the £500k purchase price by way of loan to the company. are we able to reduce the £100k to reduce the formula in s104? (probably not).
Q, would you suggest that we get this rationale cleared with HMRC in advance of any p11d work.
Q, how on earth do we find the rateable value?
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 316 4
- Secondment expenses 170 4
- CIS and Close Company 144 5
- Director leaving in month 1 200 4
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 215 4
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 116 1
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 84 2
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 351 8
- Giving advice to friends / family 124 2
- Unaudited accounts and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation 218 5
- Ex Gratia payments 120 2
- HMRC request for Sage Back Up 2,212 27
- Employee satisfaction surveys 82 1
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 2,253 17
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,356 21
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 302 1
- VAT Option to tax 491 17
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 206 6
- Capital allowance vehicle exchange 210 7
- S162 and Capital Allowances 143 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 916
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 645
- Free Tax Legislation? 411
- Director Loan account operation 407
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 352
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 323
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 230
- Paye procedures for CVA 224
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 199
- Pension Fixed Protection 163