resi property - owned by company -mixed use
I would normally shy away from advising a client from owning his home within a company, but rather against the grain, that is what is happening!
The property is a fairly large old building consisting of a three bedroom owners accomodation, plus a part sectioned off and extended and used as a bunkhouse. The lodging part sleeps 26 and brings in approx £60k rents per year. The company also does adventure trail walks so it all fits together reasonably well. (further downside in that vat will need to be accounted for on the £60k).
I advised that there will be a bik on the provision of living accomodation, may i just check my rationale.
The cost of the whole property is £500k. We estimate that the value of the living accomodation is £300k. I am going to assume for the purposes of this that the rateable value is £7k pa.
I calculate that the annual bik using s107:
7,000 + ((300-75)*4%)) = £16,000
Q, are we able to apportion the cost of the property in this way (i.e. 300 out of 500).
Q, he is personally providing £100k of the £500k purchase price by way of loan to the company. are we able to reduce the £100k to reduce the formula in s104? (probably not).
Q, would you suggest that we get this rationale cleared with HMRC in advance of any p11d work.
Q, how on earth do we find the rateable value?
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 416 9
- Goods Purchased for Rental 84 2
- are receipts needed? 548 15
- Clogged Losses 261 5
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 265 11
- Going to need a tax, insolvency and legal specialist I think 203 2
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 247 9
- Buy to let and capitak gain 56 1
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 639 10
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 298 7
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 246 4
- Accounting for Bank Loyalty Rewards? 103 1
- General tax book with planning 232 5
- Anybody heard of Geniac, the new De Lorean? 171 3
- tax on apprenticeship income 194 1
- Gift of property & improvements 153 3
- VAT Invoice 210 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 281 5
- Error in past Corporate tax return 381 6
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,282 69
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 905
- International interest certificate 516
- NOVA 369
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 312
- Management expenses for investment company 272
- Bonus Bonds 263
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 178
- P11D benefit received by widow 154
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 146
- Filing past due corporation tax returns 145