resi property - owned by company -mixed use
I would normally shy away from advising a client from owning his home within a company, but rather against the grain, that is what is happening!
The property is a fairly large old building consisting of a three bedroom owners accomodation, plus a part sectioned off and extended and used as a bunkhouse. The lodging part sleeps 26 and brings in approx £60k rents per year. The company also does adventure trail walks so it all fits together reasonably well. (further downside in that vat will need to be accounted for on the £60k).
I advised that there will be a bik on the provision of living accomodation, may i just check my rationale.
The cost of the whole property is £500k. We estimate that the value of the living accomodation is £300k. I am going to assume for the purposes of this that the rateable value is £7k pa.
I calculate that the annual bik using s107:
7,000 + ((300-75)*4%)) = £16,000
Q, are we able to apportion the cost of the property in this way (i.e. 300 out of 500).
Q, he is personally providing £100k of the £500k purchase price by way of loan to the company. are we able to reduce the £100k to reduce the formula in s104? (probably not).
Q, would you suggest that we get this rationale cleared with HMRC in advance of any p11d work.
Q, how on earth do we find the rateable value?
- Recharge for private use of a company car 630 19
- WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON AT HMRC? 214 3
- How a company director can keep paying £833 170 5
- Settlement discount 290 7
- Thin Client recomendation 266 4
- Community awards 2014 - first category 245 8
- format cell to exclude decimals 355 18
- Payment plans for clients 303 4
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 499 14
- Employee steeling client data 182 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,393 23
- Small bus. accounting software with departments 201 5
- Subsistence Exclusions 141 3
- Insurance Claims - Legal Services 98 1
- CT600 292 9
- VAT Office Grimsby 248 4
- signature required 931 34
- i want to get the reserves below 25K 237 1
- Can you help me spot errors? 361 4
- Form VAT 600 FRS 99 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,314
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 863
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 563
- Credit where credit's due....... 344
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 264
- TheTax Donut 242
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 197
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 192
- Director's business mileage 161
- Sole trader CPD 151