resi property - owned by company -mixed use
I would normally shy away from advising a client from owning his home within a company, but rather against the grain, that is what is happening!
The property is a fairly large old building consisting of a three bedroom owners accomodation, plus a part sectioned off and extended and used as a bunkhouse. The lodging part sleeps 26 and brings in approx £60k rents per year. The company also does adventure trail walks so it all fits together reasonably well. (further downside in that vat will need to be accounted for on the £60k).
I advised that there will be a bik on the provision of living accomodation, may i just check my rationale.
The cost of the whole property is £500k. We estimate that the value of the living accomodation is £300k. I am going to assume for the purposes of this that the rateable value is £7k pa.
I calculate that the annual bik using s107:
7,000 + ((300-75)*4%)) = £16,000
Q, are we able to apportion the cost of the property in this way (i.e. 300 out of 500).
Q, he is personally providing £100k of the £500k purchase price by way of loan to the company. are we able to reduce the £100k to reduce the formula in s104? (probably not).
Q, would you suggest that we get this rationale cleared with HMRC in advance of any p11d work.
Q, how on earth do we find the rateable value?
- Where can I get the information for this 363 7
- BrightPay 361 9
- If a company made large profits in 2009, is there a time limit for later losses to be set off against those profits to recover tax? 197 3
- CGT &LLP 73 2
- Am I at risk as an appointed Agent? 539 4
- Setting up an offshore company 97 1
- SDLT on Land Transfer to Connected Company and Averaging Relief 185 16
- Secure document exchange 121 3
- Question for FreeAgent users 160 4
- Any way of declaring a variable dividend? 392 7
- break even point 167 5
- Charity recouping VAT via a separate company 114 3
- Fax to email providers 326 11
- Payroll software 241 11
- Ghost messages from HMRC...... 132 1
- Amending supplier account code in Sage 50 141 4
- How to issue shares to investors 91 1
- Expense management software 631 12
- New Practice - Accounting Software 3,108 84
- Tax code 151 1