resi property - owned by company -mixed use
I would normally shy away from advising a client from owning his home within a company, but rather against the grain, that is what is happening!
The property is a fairly large old building consisting of a three bedroom owners accomodation, plus a part sectioned off and extended and used as a bunkhouse. The lodging part sleeps 26 and brings in approx £60k rents per year. The company also does adventure trail walks so it all fits together reasonably well. (further downside in that vat will need to be accounted for on the £60k).
I advised that there will be a bik on the provision of living accomodation, may i just check my rationale.
The cost of the whole property is £500k. We estimate that the value of the living accomodation is £300k. I am going to assume for the purposes of this that the rateable value is £7k pa.
I calculate that the annual bik using s107:
7,000 + ((300-75)*4%)) = £16,000
Q, are we able to apportion the cost of the property in this way (i.e. 300 out of 500).
Q, he is personally providing £100k of the £500k purchase price by way of loan to the company. are we able to reduce the £100k to reduce the formula in s104? (probably not).
Q, would you suggest that we get this rationale cleared with HMRC in advance of any p11d work.
Q, how on earth do we find the rateable value?
- Telephone call from "Xero" 420 5
- Error on SA Tax Return 117 3
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,173 46
- dividend 157 10
- Purchase of shares in a Limited Company 121 5
- Repairs or Improvement? 252 5
- Credit Card Payment - What are we required to do? 173 3
- Irish Taxation 141 4
- Now the phishers have baited their hooks with SAGE 312 2
- Self assessment tax arrears 515 6
- Drector renting room to company 96 1
- Off site storage 154 5
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 600 6
- Anyone know about Cloud-Based Practice Management Software? 250 7
- Industrial & Provident Societies 350 1
- Advertising with Hibu nee Yell (Yellow Pages) 240 3
- Auto-enrolment - Fees 331 4
- Self assesment losses 324 8
- RTI and s18 ITEPA 176 3
- Garden studio - tax and VAT deductible? 190 1
- Xtuple 566
- Qtac payroll for bureau 387
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 342
- Domain name sale and limited company 232
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 211
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 209
- Investment 205
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 182
- Tax on damages received 181
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 151