resi property - owned by company -mixed use
I would normally shy away from advising a client from owning his home within a company, but rather against the grain, that is what is happening!
The property is a fairly large old building consisting of a three bedroom owners accomodation, plus a part sectioned off and extended and used as a bunkhouse. The lodging part sleeps 26 and brings in approx £60k rents per year. The company also does adventure trail walks so it all fits together reasonably well. (further downside in that vat will need to be accounted for on the £60k).
I advised that there will be a bik on the provision of living accomodation, may i just check my rationale.
The cost of the whole property is £500k. We estimate that the value of the living accomodation is £300k. I am going to assume for the purposes of this that the rateable value is £7k pa.
I calculate that the annual bik using s107:
7,000 + ((300-75)*4%)) = £16,000
Q, are we able to apportion the cost of the property in this way (i.e. 300 out of 500).
Q, he is personally providing £100k of the £500k purchase price by way of loan to the company. are we able to reduce the £100k to reduce the formula in s104? (probably not).
Q, would you suggest that we get this rationale cleared with HMRC in advance of any p11d work.
Q, how on earth do we find the rateable value?
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 143 2
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,042 47
- CGT on lost shares/scam 370 4
- Setting up a practice 386 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 500 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 461 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 276 1
- Love is in the air 545 6
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 656 17
- Stamp Duty 294 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 238 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,810 21
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 595 5
- Incorporation of gp practise 276 1
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 263 9
- Client Paperwork Retention? 574 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 582 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 391 4
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 396 9
- Reimbursing director travel costs 459 6
- DTA tie-breaker issue 303
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 292
- CGT for NOn UK residents 280
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 276
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 254
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 240
- Apprenticeship Levy 238
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 225
- Capital Gains personal representatives 221
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 214