resi property - owned by company -mixed use
I would normally shy away from advising a client from owning his home within a company, but rather against the grain, that is what is happening!
The property is a fairly large old building consisting of a three bedroom owners accomodation, plus a part sectioned off and extended and used as a bunkhouse. The lodging part sleeps 26 and brings in approx £60k rents per year. The company also does adventure trail walks so it all fits together reasonably well. (further downside in that vat will need to be accounted for on the £60k).
I advised that there will be a bik on the provision of living accomodation, may i just check my rationale.
The cost of the whole property is £500k. We estimate that the value of the living accomodation is £300k. I am going to assume for the purposes of this that the rateable value is £7k pa.
I calculate that the annual bik using s107:
7,000 + ((300-75)*4%)) = £16,000
Q, are we able to apportion the cost of the property in this way (i.e. 300 out of 500).
Q, he is personally providing £100k of the £500k purchase price by way of loan to the company. are we able to reduce the £100k to reduce the formula in s104? (probably not).
Q, would you suggest that we get this rationale cleared with HMRC in advance of any p11d work.
Q, how on earth do we find the rateable value?
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 948 29
- You know its over 333 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 486 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 218 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 170 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 157 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 242 3
- Cocaine anyone? 507 8
- Late Registration for VAT 485 13
- EIS/SEIS 141 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 275 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 415 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 422 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 716 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 552 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 588 4
- Personal pension 402 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 222 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,218 11
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 172 3
- Hive up 491
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 458
- corporate hierarchy 437
- Advice - 272
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 226
- WWOOFers 218
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 207
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 200
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 181
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 175