resi property - owned by company -mixed use
I would normally shy away from advising a client from owning his home within a company, but rather against the grain, that is what is happening!
The property is a fairly large old building consisting of a three bedroom owners accomodation, plus a part sectioned off and extended and used as a bunkhouse. The lodging part sleeps 26 and brings in approx £60k rents per year. The company also does adventure trail walks so it all fits together reasonably well. (further downside in that vat will need to be accounted for on the £60k).
I advised that there will be a bik on the provision of living accomodation, may i just check my rationale.
The cost of the whole property is £500k. We estimate that the value of the living accomodation is £300k. I am going to assume for the purposes of this that the rateable value is £7k pa.
I calculate that the annual bik using s107:
7,000 + ((300-75)*4%)) = £16,000
Q, are we able to apportion the cost of the property in this way (i.e. 300 out of 500).
Q, he is personally providing £100k of the £500k purchase price by way of loan to the company. are we able to reduce the £100k to reduce the formula in s104? (probably not).
Q, would you suggest that we get this rationale cleared with HMRC in advance of any p11d work.
Q, how on earth do we find the rateable value?
- Capital allowances in first basis period 218 1
- HMRC filing meltdown? 198 7
- Why do I do this every year 89 2
- Limited Companies Merger 184 5
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 198 18
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 1,534 41
- eBay trading 204 4
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 250 10
- Self assesment online 888 10
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 1,102 46
- childcare 89 3
- Childcare voucher schemes 220 8
- What sectors to target? 530 25
- Rent a room scheme query. 131 2
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 450 12
- PAYE Control Visit 193 2
- Practice management 332 6
- Repayment of maternity pay 200 4
- Journals to Creditors Control 252 8
- Capital allowances on Software 131 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 920
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 638
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 592
- Latest phishing scam 570
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 400
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 302
- Scratch Head 223
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 219
- Sabbatical payments 189
- Negligible Value Claim 163