Restore my faith
So, I work in industry, but a friend is in practice. They appear to work exclusively on a whole series of Excel spreadsheets, which are neither day books or 't' accounts - but just wide analysis tabs on invoices, payments etc.
Various column summaries are extracted and then copied manually somewhere else.
In contrast, I have always used double entry principal software. To me, the spreadsheet only system would be a nightmare.
Have I worked so long with software that I have become so indoctrinated that I cannot think of an alternative, or would you hate to just work on spreadsheets with no double entry controls.
I know about garbage in garbage out - but would struggle to work without proper sales and purchase ledgers, and bank reconciliation modules.
What do others think?
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 250 9
- LLP - Member leaving 143 6
- what time is it ? 78 2
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 255 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,054 14
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 669 19
- Tax Return Deadlines 224 4
- Year end 160 2
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 572 21
- How would you account for warranty? 156 4
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 402 22
- Sweet Tooth 186 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 179 2
- trading or dormant 117 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 127 1
- tax credits 138 5
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 570 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 276 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 123 1
- Foreign income for self employed 139 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 877
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 518
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 331
- How to format a stock book 312
- Tax efficient holding company structure 245
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 241
- Investment property company accounts template 226
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 219
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 192
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 166