Retail sector anomaly – just how bad are things?
By most accounts January was a disastrous month for retail with three major brands collapsing into administration. However the British Retail Consortium (BRC) reported this week that retail sales grew last month - up 1.9% compared with the same time last year.
Was it the Christmas and January sales season of doom, or was it really not that bad on the High Street?
If you have retail clients, what has been their experience over the last few months?
What observations would you make?
- Sports Sponsorship 194 2
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 319 7
- Annual Return for company for whom director/shareholder has died 70 2
- Paid too much !! 362 3
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 205 2
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 118 3
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 241 1
- will this work for IHT 261 2
- Best software for small practice? 665 20
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,761 39
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 312 7
- Taxfiler been down since mid-afternoon 265 5
- Anyone having problems with Taxfiler 514 17
- Gifting Shares to a Limited Company 152 1
- Company separation for Wholesale & Retail businesses 124 1
- Selling a VAT Qualifying vehicle at a loss 132 1
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 485 15
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 756 11
- New Shareholder and Purchase of Own Share 292 17
- Opt To Tax Refund 218 2
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 771
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 456
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 276
- DTA tie-breaker issue 263
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 251
- CGT for NOn UK residents 224
- Apprenticeship Levy 203
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 195
- Capital Gains personal representatives 184
- Just checking re PSA 178