We have just discovered a client director has lent company £100k loan, by remortgaging private hosue.
Has built up £15k in interest since taking out loan 3 yrs ago. No interest ever paid by company, no interest deduction ever put on directors tax return.
Re tax return - relief will be claimed for the loan interest paid. Clients wants company to repay interest to him, therefore minimal effect on tax return as on edge of higher rate so potential refund available from tax on interest paid by co.
Dividends are out of question as there are other shareholders to take into account.
How do we go about paying the £15k interest from the company to the director? Can we pay all £15k in one go - surely this would give rise to an enquiry by HMRC as greater than market rate interest payment in year. Do we need to go back and amend accounts for previous 3 years to show interest payments? Then how do we do CT61s - is it possible to put it all on 1 return and pay 20% en masse, or will we need to do retrospective CT61s for each quarter since the loan was taken out? Can you do retrospective CT61s? Or is it best to write to HMRC explain situation and enclose cheque for 20% tax on interest to date and ask for CT61s to be issued in future?
Any help much appreciated.
- Corporation Tax Software 377 11
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 651 18
- How to end partnership for HMRC 68 1
- Auto enrolment 105 1
- First year's sole trader accounts and 2014/2015 tax return 98 1
- Electric Vehicle company car battery rental - how is it taxed? 82 4
- Regular Director bonus 431 11
- Careers advice - is it worth moving from an SME to a corporate? 141 1
- Registration as self-employed 110 1
- BrightPay 1,089 35
- HMRC Summons for £14k 520 7
- SA REFUND; DEFRAUDED BY UNKNOWN PARTY 336 5
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 1,092 17
- Clients have been told I'm working from home 970 13
- BIK for an electric car 159 2
- New Practice - Accounting Software 3,627 90
- How do I save face? 2,345 14
- Goodie bag 3,089 72
- US Pensions and Renunciation of Citizenship 116 1
- How many associated companies 195 2
- Possible Partnership? 686
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 534
- Fuming! 512
- New Fangled Penalties 466
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 333
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 273
- Moving away from CCH software 264
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 256
- Outsource Data Entry 254
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 206