We have just discovered a client director has lent company £100k loan, by remortgaging private hosue.
Has built up £15k in interest since taking out loan 3 yrs ago. No interest ever paid by company, no interest deduction ever put on directors tax return.
Re tax return - relief will be claimed for the loan interest paid. Clients wants company to repay interest to him, therefore minimal effect on tax return as on edge of higher rate so potential refund available from tax on interest paid by co.
Dividends are out of question as there are other shareholders to take into account.
How do we go about paying the £15k interest from the company to the director? Can we pay all £15k in one go - surely this would give rise to an enquiry by HMRC as greater than market rate interest payment in year. Do we need to go back and amend accounts for previous 3 years to show interest payments? Then how do we do CT61s - is it possible to put it all on 1 return and pay 20% en masse, or will we need to do retrospective CT61s for each quarter since the loan was taken out? Can you do retrospective CT61s? Or is it best to write to HMRC explain situation and enclose cheque for 20% tax on interest to date and ask for CT61s to be issued in future?
Any help much appreciated.
- Cloud accounting package 96 1
- Incorporation after the start of trading 979 39
- Do I walk away from these accounts? 767 14
- Setting up offshore to avoid paying VAT 472 15
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 234 6
- Offshore company (Guernsey / Isle of Man) 139 3
- PAYE – Directors NI 208 6
- Next Move 299 12
- Ltd Co and 'grant' income 388 7
- when to file SA return if closed SA in the middle of the year 164 4
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 206 3
- Large PAYE tax refund to Employee 330 3
- Personal Tax Accounts. Are we all doomed. 696 10
- Accounts treatment of assets at cessation date 256 10
- Seeking advice: Vehicle usage 145 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,204 34
- Casual Driver 237 4
- Self Assessment Software 629 20
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 337 7
- How does HMRC give tax relief to Muslims for borrowing costs? 1,250 10
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 630
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 394
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 393
- Property letting & CAs 376
- 2015 tax year end 371
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 369
- FCA regulated company in a small group 335
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 230
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 223
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 217