We have just discovered a client director has lent company £100k loan, by remortgaging private hosue.
Has built up £15k in interest since taking out loan 3 yrs ago. No interest ever paid by company, no interest deduction ever put on directors tax return.
Re tax return - relief will be claimed for the loan interest paid. Clients wants company to repay interest to him, therefore minimal effect on tax return as on edge of higher rate so potential refund available from tax on interest paid by co.
Dividends are out of question as there are other shareholders to take into account.
How do we go about paying the £15k interest from the company to the director? Can we pay all £15k in one go - surely this would give rise to an enquiry by HMRC as greater than market rate interest payment in year. Do we need to go back and amend accounts for previous 3 years to show interest payments? Then how do we do CT61s - is it possible to put it all on 1 return and pay 20% en masse, or will we need to do retrospective CT61s for each quarter since the loan was taken out? Can you do retrospective CT61s? Or is it best to write to HMRC explain situation and enclose cheque for 20% tax on interest to date and ask for CT61s to be issued in future?
Any help much appreciated.
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 722 28
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 92 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 378 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 295 8
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 192 9
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 93 6
- Help with tax codes on Sage 217 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 128 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 231 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 124 4
- SA302's anyone?? 495 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,590 41
- Renting for military reasons 145 2
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 1,520 18
- Moneysoft Payroll Windows 8.1 Woes - Help! 1,036 18
- Deed of variation on a will & effect on tax returns 107 2
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 123 1
- do i pay vat when buying a business 504 25
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,986 30
- Tax status of prizes 320 17
- Skandia using wrong address 1,614
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 894
- International interest certificate 505
- NOVA 366
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 280
- Bonus Bonds 257
- Management expenses for investment company 257
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 169
- tax on apprenticeship income 164
- P11D benefit received by widow 147