We have just discovered a client director has lent company £100k loan, by remortgaging private hosue.
Has built up £15k in interest since taking out loan 3 yrs ago. No interest ever paid by company, no interest deduction ever put on directors tax return.
Re tax return - relief will be claimed for the loan interest paid. Clients wants company to repay interest to him, therefore minimal effect on tax return as on edge of higher rate so potential refund available from tax on interest paid by co.
Dividends are out of question as there are other shareholders to take into account.
How do we go about paying the £15k interest from the company to the director? Can we pay all £15k in one go - surely this would give rise to an enquiry by HMRC as greater than market rate interest payment in year. Do we need to go back and amend accounts for previous 3 years to show interest payments? Then how do we do CT61s - is it possible to put it all on 1 return and pay 20% en masse, or will we need to do retrospective CT61s for each quarter since the loan was taken out? Can you do retrospective CT61s? Or is it best to write to HMRC explain situation and enclose cheque for 20% tax on interest to date and ask for CT61s to be issued in future?
Any help much appreciated.
- IR35 deemed payment and dividends - practical considerations 107 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 453 13
- Coding Notice 217 6
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 230 6
- New business - journal entries 389 22
- Is CGT roll over relief available for let property 218 3
- Payroll software 636 16
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 251 5
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 388 10
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 722 18
- B2B vat in the EU 181 4
- VAT on Hire Purchase 137 1
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 194 4
- Changes to class 2 NIC's 224 3
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 188 4
- LLP as member of LLP 132 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,822 48
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 500 7
- Vat 301 7
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,300 13
- Auto enrolment excuses 850
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 717
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 402
- Social investment tax relief 217
- Digita Hosted Software 211
- Call Centre Data Costs 198
- accounting for this transaction 182
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 170
- Travel costs and contractors 165
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 160