We have just discovered a client director has lent company £100k loan, by remortgaging private hosue.
Has built up £15k in interest since taking out loan 3 yrs ago. No interest ever paid by company, no interest deduction ever put on directors tax return.
Re tax return - relief will be claimed for the loan interest paid. Clients wants company to repay interest to him, therefore minimal effect on tax return as on edge of higher rate so potential refund available from tax on interest paid by co.
Dividends are out of question as there are other shareholders to take into account.
How do we go about paying the £15k interest from the company to the director? Can we pay all £15k in one go - surely this would give rise to an enquiry by HMRC as greater than market rate interest payment in year. Do we need to go back and amend accounts for previous 3 years to show interest payments? Then how do we do CT61s - is it possible to put it all on 1 return and pay 20% en masse, or will we need to do retrospective CT61s for each quarter since the loan was taken out? Can you do retrospective CT61s? Or is it best to write to HMRC explain situation and enclose cheque for 20% tax on interest to date and ask for CT61s to be issued in future?
Any help much appreciated.
- Donations (to a school!) 13 1
- Beaters and allowable exenses 70 2
- Family loan 210 7
- Repairs after a rental business ends 122 5
- Standard 'email' template system 604 10
- Starting as sole trader from abroad 42 2
- Shutting down a company with creditors 653 8
- Any Scottish members out there? 6,682 248
- FL Memo - Any Good 463 8
- Tax implications for client leaving share incentive plan 23 1
- VAT Romania - how to register 165 3
- 50% Shareholder & Director stealing money from the business 293 8
- Private Residence Election for CGT purposes 227 4
- Looking for subcontract work! 222 5
- Disclosure of pending convertible loan notes? 186 9
- What's your best practice shortcut or 'hack'? 1,648 39
- Consolidation of new group 73 2
- Anti Money Laundering Checks 249 3
- Recycle old study books 450 11
- Being Tax relevant 431 5
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,078
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 350
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 293
- National Insurance 252
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 227
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 227
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 212
- Payments on account coded out?? 211
- Non Resident 170
- Franchise income and costs 158