We have just discovered a client director has lent company £100k loan, by remortgaging private hosue.
Has built up £15k in interest since taking out loan 3 yrs ago. No interest ever paid by company, no interest deduction ever put on directors tax return.
Re tax return - relief will be claimed for the loan interest paid. Clients wants company to repay interest to him, therefore minimal effect on tax return as on edge of higher rate so potential refund available from tax on interest paid by co.
Dividends are out of question as there are other shareholders to take into account.
How do we go about paying the £15k interest from the company to the director? Can we pay all £15k in one go - surely this would give rise to an enquiry by HMRC as greater than market rate interest payment in year. Do we need to go back and amend accounts for previous 3 years to show interest payments? Then how do we do CT61s - is it possible to put it all on 1 return and pay 20% en masse, or will we need to do retrospective CT61s for each quarter since the loan was taken out? Can you do retrospective CT61s? Or is it best to write to HMRC explain situation and enclose cheque for 20% tax on interest to date and ask for CT61s to be issued in future?
Any help much appreciated.
- do i need an online accounting software 106 3
- CGT on selling company shares 122 6
- VAT dergistration confirmation? 64 2
- Letter saying client is IR35 compliant 362 4
- Moneysoft Payroll 636 15
- transfer of invesments from company name to individual 74 1
- Property gift to sister 258 7
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 1,669 28
- VAT Triangulation Service UK - UK - EC 157 3
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 2,605 28
- Who gets the CGT deduction 276 4
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 645 9
- VAT training 372 4
- Mixing up NI numbers under RTI 281 7
- 31st october deadline 398 6
- RTI Late Registration query 156 1
- Treatment of one-off payments to non-employees 266 2
- Payroll software 197 1
- Accounting for display stands 285 7
- Companies House Search 335 3
- NHS finance professionals 713
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 431
- Foreign Pension Contribution 407
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 390
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 387
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 345
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 308
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 289
- Incorporating doctors 230
- IFA income recognition & reporting 228