We have just discovered a client director has lent company £100k loan, by remortgaging private hosue.
Has built up £15k in interest since taking out loan 3 yrs ago. No interest ever paid by company, no interest deduction ever put on directors tax return.
Re tax return - relief will be claimed for the loan interest paid. Clients wants company to repay interest to him, therefore minimal effect on tax return as on edge of higher rate so potential refund available from tax on interest paid by co.
Dividends are out of question as there are other shareholders to take into account.
How do we go about paying the £15k interest from the company to the director? Can we pay all £15k in one go - surely this would give rise to an enquiry by HMRC as greater than market rate interest payment in year. Do we need to go back and amend accounts for previous 3 years to show interest payments? Then how do we do CT61s - is it possible to put it all on 1 return and pay 20% en masse, or will we need to do retrospective CT61s for each quarter since the loan was taken out? Can you do retrospective CT61s? Or is it best to write to HMRC explain situation and enclose cheque for 20% tax on interest to date and ask for CT61s to be issued in future?
Any help much appreciated.
- How much can we do to help? 51 1
- Sale Of Shares 25 1
- Accountex flash mob 558 18
- The new married allowance 153 3
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 158 2
- Any good members voluntary liquidators 68 2
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 690 10
- Career advice for ex HMRC Inspector 863 20
- Getting fees, getting harder? 1,757 32
- VAT by Direct Debit 129 8
- Er... 350 2
- Cash extraction pre-sale 209 5
- VAT claim on exempt supply 314 11
- Group structure - transfer of shares 129 5
- Child benefit 364 9
- £3750 earned in Dubai - where on the income tax return??? 157 3
- Tax on selling a sole trader business 326 10
- IR 35 237 5
- Share disposal - help please 115 1
- New desktop accounting and payroll, help, please 352 11
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 659
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 410
- Pensions Regulator 380
- RTI - duplicate employee record 343
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 328
- SA penalty proposals 312
- Using the correct forms 303
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 298
- Sage Vat return box 2 207
- Digital marketing focus group 202