We have just discovered a client director has lent company £100k loan, by remortgaging private hosue.
Has built up £15k in interest since taking out loan 3 yrs ago. No interest ever paid by company, no interest deduction ever put on directors tax return.
Re tax return - relief will be claimed for the loan interest paid. Clients wants company to repay interest to him, therefore minimal effect on tax return as on edge of higher rate so potential refund available from tax on interest paid by co.
Dividends are out of question as there are other shareholders to take into account.
How do we go about paying the £15k interest from the company to the director? Can we pay all £15k in one go - surely this would give rise to an enquiry by HMRC as greater than market rate interest payment in year. Do we need to go back and amend accounts for previous 3 years to show interest payments? Then how do we do CT61s - is it possible to put it all on 1 return and pay 20% en masse, or will we need to do retrospective CT61s for each quarter since the loan was taken out? Can you do retrospective CT61s? Or is it best to write to HMRC explain situation and enclose cheque for 20% tax on interest to date and ask for CT61s to be issued in future?
Any help much appreciated.
- Consortium relief and bad debts 82 4
- Late P800 demand shows later year? 250 14
- VAT BOX 6 & 7 errors 40 3
- HMRC request for Sage Back Up 2,039 22
- VAT Option to tax 346 7
- Entrepreneurs Relief 76 3
- Sage payroll 628 13
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 988 17
- Laptop purchase 1,555 21
- CVA guidance 105 2
- BEST CPD COURSE 99 1
- Total cost of employment 277 3
- Accountancy software for an imac 261 6
- PAYE Coding Notices 522 10
- directors loan movements and repayments 242 3
- VAT registration for "co-operative" formed to provide flood defences 69 1
- Business travel apps 79 2
- EIS - connection through employment 67 1
- Weely paid employees 341 4
- Payroll - Previous year not filed 137 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 891
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 624
- Free Tax Legislation? 382
- Director Loan account operation 380
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 326
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 307
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 303
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 278
- Paye procedures for CVA 209
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 200