We have just discovered a client director has lent company £100k loan, by remortgaging private hosue.
Has built up £15k in interest since taking out loan 3 yrs ago. No interest ever paid by company, no interest deduction ever put on directors tax return.
Re tax return - relief will be claimed for the loan interest paid. Clients wants company to repay interest to him, therefore minimal effect on tax return as on edge of higher rate so potential refund available from tax on interest paid by co.
Dividends are out of question as there are other shareholders to take into account.
How do we go about paying the £15k interest from the company to the director? Can we pay all £15k in one go - surely this would give rise to an enquiry by HMRC as greater than market rate interest payment in year. Do we need to go back and amend accounts for previous 3 years to show interest payments? Then how do we do CT61s - is it possible to put it all on 1 return and pay 20% en masse, or will we need to do retrospective CT61s for each quarter since the loan was taken out? Can you do retrospective CT61s? Or is it best to write to HMRC explain situation and enclose cheque for 20% tax on interest to date and ask for CT61s to be issued in future?
Any help much appreciated.
- cancellation of Engagement 355 9
- PAYE for a babysitter? 224 14
- Accountancy work for Farmers 221 11
- How to complain about HMRC 156 5
- Preparing CIC accounts 45 1
- Feuding directors 492 18
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 146 1
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 587 19
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 287 2
- Lloyds bank ... 117 1
- Instant CPD - is it any good? 53 1
- Anybody taken part in the Growth Voucher Scheme? 391 12
- Agent Change of Postal Address 205 3
- Protocol on SEIS & EIS 56 1
- Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme Charges 134 2
- Fastest Software 725 12
- Capital allowances 163 1
- Dispensing with accounting periods, with nested ledgers. 276 7
- Foreign branch in SME 134 1
- How much did you pay for your website 1,289 21
- CTA study material 656
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 397
- Employment related securities question 250
- ATED Penalties 226
- AIM Stocks and IHT 204
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 176
- Trust for Employee 161
- Expat pension contributions? 155
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 108
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 107