We have just discovered a client director has lent company £100k loan, by remortgaging private hosue.
Has built up £15k in interest since taking out loan 3 yrs ago. No interest ever paid by company, no interest deduction ever put on directors tax return.
Re tax return - relief will be claimed for the loan interest paid. Clients wants company to repay interest to him, therefore minimal effect on tax return as on edge of higher rate so potential refund available from tax on interest paid by co.
Dividends are out of question as there are other shareholders to take into account.
How do we go about paying the £15k interest from the company to the director? Can we pay all £15k in one go - surely this would give rise to an enquiry by HMRC as greater than market rate interest payment in year. Do we need to go back and amend accounts for previous 3 years to show interest payments? Then how do we do CT61s - is it possible to put it all on 1 return and pay 20% en masse, or will we need to do retrospective CT61s for each quarter since the loan was taken out? Can you do retrospective CT61s? Or is it best to write to HMRC explain situation and enclose cheque for 20% tax on interest to date and ask for CT61s to be issued in future?
Any help much appreciated.
- deleting customers on Sage 50 142 7
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 692 8
- VAT on garage rent 309 14
- Value-shifting 38 1
- Pattern for CTA 194 4
- Flat Rate Scheme 269 14
- Debiting private use proportion to directors loan account 431 18
- SDLT exemptions/reliefs 67 2
- Incorrect Accounts. Is it worth taking action against the old accountant? 176 3
- Film Partnership Enquiries - am I just unlucky? 217 5
- EBT 170 1
- Tax deductable portion of home rental cost 154 8
- Giving a seminar 511 28
- Joint Filing Help 96 1
- Altered PAYE cheque 188 4
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 2,203 32
- Interest on Loan to a Company 248 2
- Writing off bad debts 179 4
- Added years superannuation 50 1
- How to use importing procedure for Transfers between the bank accounts 100 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,200
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 600
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 404
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 307
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 191
- Agent fees to sell business 186
- Alphabet shares 184
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 176
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 159
- VAT codes In Sage. Am I correct? 158