We have just discovered a client director has lent company £100k loan, by remortgaging private hosue.
Has built up £15k in interest since taking out loan 3 yrs ago. No interest ever paid by company, no interest deduction ever put on directors tax return.
Re tax return - relief will be claimed for the loan interest paid. Clients wants company to repay interest to him, therefore minimal effect on tax return as on edge of higher rate so potential refund available from tax on interest paid by co.
Dividends are out of question as there are other shareholders to take into account.
How do we go about paying the £15k interest from the company to the director? Can we pay all £15k in one go - surely this would give rise to an enquiry by HMRC as greater than market rate interest payment in year. Do we need to go back and amend accounts for previous 3 years to show interest payments? Then how do we do CT61s - is it possible to put it all on 1 return and pay 20% en masse, or will we need to do retrospective CT61s for each quarter since the loan was taken out? Can you do retrospective CT61s? Or is it best to write to HMRC explain situation and enclose cheque for 20% tax on interest to date and ask for CT61s to be issued in future?
Any help much appreciated.
- HMRC filing meltdown? 349 13
- Why do I do this every year 207 5
- Childcare voucher schemes 231 9
- IHT and US resident 22 1
- What sectors to target? 567 29
- closing limited company 62 1
- Limited Companies Merger 198 6
- Incidental costs of Acquisition for inherited property/shares 125 1
- Practice management 363 7
- IHT and cash gifts 233 5
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 483 13
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 1,562 42
- Capital allowances in first basis period 232 1
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 213 18
- eBay trading 220 4
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 253 10
- Self assesment online 911 10
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 1,121 46
- childcare 107 3
- Rent a room scheme query. 139 2
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 921
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 640
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 592
- Latest phishing scam 572
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 406
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 305
- Scratch Head 230
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 225
- Sabbatical payments 192
- Negligible Value Claim 166