We have just discovered a client director has lent company £100k loan, by remortgaging private hosue.
Has built up £15k in interest since taking out loan 3 yrs ago. No interest ever paid by company, no interest deduction ever put on directors tax return.
Re tax return - relief will be claimed for the loan interest paid. Clients wants company to repay interest to him, therefore minimal effect on tax return as on edge of higher rate so potential refund available from tax on interest paid by co.
Dividends are out of question as there are other shareholders to take into account.
How do we go about paying the £15k interest from the company to the director? Can we pay all £15k in one go - surely this would give rise to an enquiry by HMRC as greater than market rate interest payment in year. Do we need to go back and amend accounts for previous 3 years to show interest payments? Then how do we do CT61s - is it possible to put it all on 1 return and pay 20% en masse, or will we need to do retrospective CT61s for each quarter since the loan was taken out? Can you do retrospective CT61s? Or is it best to write to HMRC explain situation and enclose cheque for 20% tax on interest to date and ask for CT61s to be issued in future?
Any help much appreciated.
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 1,321 21
- VAT online filing exemptions 267 4
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 852 18
- NALS Accountants Report 100 1
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,467 35
- Legal title not in the company name 271 10
- Dividend dates 561 10
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 126 3
- Sole properietor 170 4
- transitioning payroll 237 8
- dividend proposals 105 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 232 2
- Deduction from Salary 297 8
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 192 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,725 60
- Child Tax Credits - date of cessation of qualifying young person 90 2
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 437 10
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 158 2
- 12 Pay Problems 255 3
- Mutual trading organisation has chargeable gain 89 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 624
- Cancelled 363
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 311
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 283
- Probiz 271
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 231
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 230
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 202
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 176