Revaluing intangible and applying carried over non-trading loss
I have an intangible (website valuation) that, because of an industry event, I need to revalue. I also have a non-trading loss (from a previous amortisation in a loss making year) carried through to the current year, I believe I can apply that loss to the non-trading profit generated by the revaluation of the intangible - is that correct?
I'll give some specific (illustrative) figures so that my question has full context
The website was purchased in 2005 for £2000. Amortised on a straight-line basis over 8 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis), this gave rise to a £250 loss each year applicable against other profits.
In 2009, the company generated a loss, so the £250 loss was carried forward. The company has had profits since but there have been no non-trading profits to apply against that non-trading loss of £250.
In 2011 an industry event extended the useful economic life of the website, so I propose to revalue the website. At beginning of 2011, the carrying value of the website is £500. I believe (based on increased expected future profits from it) the extended life now values it at £1200, to be amortised on a straight-line basis over 6 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis)
My understanding is that I now have a non-trading exceptional profit for 2011 of £700 from this revaluation, and that I can apply the non-trading carried over loss of £250 to leave a non-trading taxable profit of £450 in 2011. Is that correct?
Additionally, the company made a trading profit of £10000, so the total taxable profit would be £10450, and the new annual amortised loss of of £200 can be applied to reduce this taxable profit to £10250.
I'd be grateful for any comments on whether I understand this correctly or not. Thanks
- Care Home - Job Price 266 5
- Fee headache 428 4
- Fee reasonable or OTT? 197 6
- ITS HAPPENED AGAIN SPAM SPAM SPAM 214 4
- India Capital Gain 111 1
- Dormant payroll 725 7
- Switch from Sage CT to Digita CT? 96 1
- Our French VAT registered supplier is supplying our French VAT registered customer directly with goods but is invoicing us (a VAT registered UK company). Can I ask them not to charge us VAT? 286 7
- An opportunity to 'vent' your annoyance/anger? 1,487 12
- Interest on Loan to External Individual 108 1
- Why won't CH validate accounts? 516 11
- This feels wrong.... 1,564 21
- Overlap relief 384 10
- Subsistence expenses paid directly from company account 189 2
- To correct incorrect NBV in previous year accounts 280 10
- Pressure to upgrade from Sage 50 Accounts 2013 196 3
- P11D Rejection 272 7
- Directors loans 263 2
- Entrepreneurs Relief:: share disposals after leaving the company 266 5
- Has anyone else tried Iris paperless working papers for audit exempt companies 304 2
- Is this Tax Deductible??? 502
- Theatre Tax Relief 407
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 322
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 304
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 277
- Perkbox 228
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 222
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 218
- Document Management Systems 190
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 184