Revaluing intangible and applying carried over non-trading loss
I have an intangible (website valuation) that, because of an industry event, I need to revalue. I also have a non-trading loss (from a previous amortisation in a loss making year) carried through to the current year, I believe I can apply that loss to the non-trading profit generated by the revaluation of the intangible - is that correct?
I'll give some specific (illustrative) figures so that my question has full context
The website was purchased in 2005 for £2000. Amortised on a straight-line basis over 8 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis), this gave rise to a £250 loss each year applicable against other profits.
In 2009, the company generated a loss, so the £250 loss was carried forward. The company has had profits since but there have been no non-trading profits to apply against that non-trading loss of £250.
In 2011 an industry event extended the useful economic life of the website, so I propose to revalue the website. At beginning of 2011, the carrying value of the website is £500. I believe (based on increased expected future profits from it) the extended life now values it at £1200, to be amortised on a straight-line basis over 6 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis)
My understanding is that I now have a non-trading exceptional profit for 2011 of £700 from this revaluation, and that I can apply the non-trading carried over loss of £250 to leave a non-trading taxable profit of £450 in 2011. Is that correct?
Additionally, the company made a trading profit of £10000, so the total taxable profit would be £10450, and the new annual amortised loss of of £200 can be applied to reduce this taxable profit to £10250.
I'd be grateful for any comments on whether I understand this correctly or not. Thanks
- Hosted email exchange 61 3
- Why will HMRC not code out my client's £1,730 underpayment for 12/13 327 11
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 723 45
- Bringing money to Uk 174 3
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 54 1
- G P life time allowance 64 2
- Accounting for investment club gains 90 2
- Audit rules 99 2
- New Business Registration 163 3
- Moving from Sage payroll to Iris Payroll 166 5
- Incorporation Fee - What's Non-deductible? 537 11
- SA302 94 2
- Can customer claim VAT on contractor cash purchases. 129 1
- Can anyone advise on the best VAT Scheme to change to? 92 2
- VAT REGISTRATION TRANSFER 57 2
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 173 6
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,271 38
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 63 1
- Capital allowances for estates in administration 103 1
- Hotel accommodation tax deductible? 275 3
- Xtuple 487
- Qtac payroll for bureau 328
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 273
- Industrial & Provident Societies 267
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 211
- Mehjoo 209
- New strategic report 165
- Domain name sale and limited company 148
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 147
- South African Government Pension 144