Revaluing intangible and applying carried over non-trading loss
I have an intangible (website valuation) that, because of an industry event, I need to revalue. I also have a non-trading loss (from a previous amortisation in a loss making year) carried through to the current year, I believe I can apply that loss to the non-trading profit generated by the revaluation of the intangible - is that correct?
I'll give some specific (illustrative) figures so that my question has full context
The website was purchased in 2005 for £2000. Amortised on a straight-line basis over 8 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis), this gave rise to a £250 loss each year applicable against other profits.
In 2009, the company generated a loss, so the £250 loss was carried forward. The company has had profits since but there have been no non-trading profits to apply against that non-trading loss of £250.
In 2011 an industry event extended the useful economic life of the website, so I propose to revalue the website. At beginning of 2011, the carrying value of the website is £500. I believe (based on increased expected future profits from it) the extended life now values it at £1200, to be amortised on a straight-line basis over 6 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis)
My understanding is that I now have a non-trading exceptional profit for 2011 of £700 from this revaluation, and that I can apply the non-trading carried over loss of £250 to leave a non-trading taxable profit of £450 in 2011. Is that correct?
Additionally, the company made a trading profit of £10000, so the total taxable profit would be £10450, and the new annual amortised loss of of £200 can be applied to reduce this taxable profit to £10250.
I'd be grateful for any comments on whether I understand this correctly or not. Thanks
- Student Loan Box in Year Repaid 54 1
- The importance of Grammar 1,749 53
- Director Liability 65 2
- Finding mobile numbers for clients we have lost contact with 115 2
- 2 companies, one payroll 129 3
- Freelance/Employee 361 9
- Salary Sacrifice andy subsistence payments 136 4
- How do I answer a W-8BEN-E question (USA IRS) 379 4
- exemptions from CIS 237 6
- Directors exempt from AE? 560 10
- Volontaire International en Entreprise (VIE) 183 5
- Xero Pain Points 634 20
- Impairment in value of subsidiary - allowable? 266 13
- Client Require Tax Return and Profit and Loss for Housing Benefit claim 219 2
- VAT - How hard is it? 1,681 56
- Tax Implications on Child Benefits 387 3
- How much do you pay for Xero? 298 3
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 598 23
- Cut-off accounting question 396 8
- VAT reverse charge on consulting from EC 114 2
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 393
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 350
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 333
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 313
- Electric Car 266
- S222 Charge 230
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 226
- Company Structure 207
- Travel and Subsistence Expenses 170
- IP trans to holding company 169