Revaluing intangible and applying carried over non-trading loss
I have an intangible (website valuation) that, because of an industry event, I need to revalue. I also have a non-trading loss (from a previous amortisation in a loss making year) carried through to the current year, I believe I can apply that loss to the non-trading profit generated by the revaluation of the intangible - is that correct?
I'll give some specific (illustrative) figures so that my question has full context
The website was purchased in 2005 for £2000. Amortised on a straight-line basis over 8 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis), this gave rise to a £250 loss each year applicable against other profits.
In 2009, the company generated a loss, so the £250 loss was carried forward. The company has had profits since but there have been no non-trading profits to apply against that non-trading loss of £250.
In 2011 an industry event extended the useful economic life of the website, so I propose to revalue the website. At beginning of 2011, the carrying value of the website is £500. I believe (based on increased expected future profits from it) the extended life now values it at £1200, to be amortised on a straight-line basis over 6 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis)
My understanding is that I now have a non-trading exceptional profit for 2011 of £700 from this revaluation, and that I can apply the non-trading carried over loss of £250 to leave a non-trading taxable profit of £450 in 2011. Is that correct?
Additionally, the company made a trading profit of £10000, so the total taxable profit would be £10450, and the new annual amortised loss of of £200 can be applied to reduce this taxable profit to £10250.
I'd be grateful for any comments on whether I understand this correctly or not. Thanks
- PAYE 125 3
- can a dormant company make an employer pension contribution? 16 1
- Letter template 51 2
- Annual Report - How to? 136 5
- 15% restirction on lease cars 62 1
- CGT on 'listed co return of capital via B share' 60 2
- Do you get your clients to sign their EOY EPS submission? 1,030 14
- Investment property? 624 5
- Quote for client 342 8
- Benefit in kind calc, s.106 ITEPA 263 6
- Separate Pay runs for salary and commission 108 2
- Amend this years FPS's - any HMRC penalties? 202 5
- Sage 50 - How do I find the column headings when I export to CSV 54 1
- printer paper for Certificate of Incorporation 103 1
- Investment Unrealised Gains Accounting Treatment 73 1
- Can a company act like a charity, without being a registered charity? 298 6
- Reversal of Warranty Provision 272 10
- error on companies house accounts 918 20
- Director's personal expenses paid by the Company 212 3
- ATT Exam tips and study help 142 2
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 518
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 454
- EPS and CIS deductions 320
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 304
- Construction CIS LLP Company 295
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 280
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 228
- SAGE winforecast 218
- Overdrawn director account 202
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 200