Revaluing intangible and applying carried over non-trading loss
I have an intangible (website valuation) that, because of an industry event, I need to revalue. I also have a non-trading loss (from a previous amortisation in a loss making year) carried through to the current year, I believe I can apply that loss to the non-trading profit generated by the revaluation of the intangible - is that correct?
I'll give some specific (illustrative) figures so that my question has full context
The website was purchased in 2005 for £2000. Amortised on a straight-line basis over 8 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis), this gave rise to a £250 loss each year applicable against other profits.
In 2009, the company generated a loss, so the £250 loss was carried forward. The company has had profits since but there have been no non-trading profits to apply against that non-trading loss of £250.
In 2011 an industry event extended the useful economic life of the website, so I propose to revalue the website. At beginning of 2011, the carrying value of the website is £500. I believe (based on increased expected future profits from it) the extended life now values it at £1200, to be amortised on a straight-line basis over 6 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis)
My understanding is that I now have a non-trading exceptional profit for 2011 of £700 from this revaluation, and that I can apply the non-trading carried over loss of £250 to leave a non-trading taxable profit of £450 in 2011. Is that correct?
Additionally, the company made a trading profit of £10000, so the total taxable profit would be £10450, and the new annual amortised loss of of £200 can be applied to reduce this taxable profit to £10250.
I'd be grateful for any comments on whether I understand this correctly or not. Thanks
- Do joint employment contracts enjoy double NI allowances? 20 1
- Auto Enrolment 545 3
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 1,825 17
- VAT on sale of goods outside of EU - Flat Rate 92 2
- Not renewing AAT 1,319 13
- Notifying HMRC when striking off company that never traded 45 1
- Dormant co. now trading 260 8
- CisVerification as an agent 271 5
- Cloud-based email services? 181 3
- Late PAYE Registration 135 4
- Online or Paper 64-8? 89 1
- Is the CT61 return dead? 547 9
- Lease premium accounting treatment 80 1
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,570 20
- Rental holiday in lieu of repairs 563 13
- Casual Driver 506 7
- Questions from Liquidator 2,351 25
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 327 3
- Auto Enrolment - Help each other by sharing known problems 502 5
- Viewing folder contens en masse 460 11
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 721
- 2015 tax year end 460
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 424
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 369
- Costly Accounting Software contract 339
- Directors' advances and credits 273
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 257
- DTA tie-breaker issue 243
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 229
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 206