Revaluing intangible and applying carried over non-trading loss
I have an intangible (website valuation) that, because of an industry event, I need to revalue. I also have a non-trading loss (from a previous amortisation in a loss making year) carried through to the current year, I believe I can apply that loss to the non-trading profit generated by the revaluation of the intangible - is that correct?
I'll give some specific (illustrative) figures so that my question has full context
The website was purchased in 2005 for £2000. Amortised on a straight-line basis over 8 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis), this gave rise to a £250 loss each year applicable against other profits.
In 2009, the company generated a loss, so the £250 loss was carried forward. The company has had profits since but there have been no non-trading profits to apply against that non-trading loss of £250.
In 2011 an industry event extended the useful economic life of the website, so I propose to revalue the website. At beginning of 2011, the carrying value of the website is £500. I believe (based on increased expected future profits from it) the extended life now values it at £1200, to be amortised on a straight-line basis over 6 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis)
My understanding is that I now have a non-trading exceptional profit for 2011 of £700 from this revaluation, and that I can apply the non-trading carried over loss of £250 to leave a non-trading taxable profit of £450 in 2011. Is that correct?
Additionally, the company made a trading profit of £10000, so the total taxable profit would be £10450, and the new annual amortised loss of of £200 can be applied to reduce this taxable profit to £10250.
I'd be grateful for any comments on whether I understand this correctly or not. Thanks
- Goodie bag 112 2
- Budget 2015 predictions 187 5
- Husband Wife let property 137 2
- Lack of Quickbooks Online Coverage 439 8
- Career in Practice 117 2
- Relevant life plan 340 8
- Limited Company expenses 374 8
- Physiotherapy And Vat 192 6
- Telemarketing 161 4
- 6th March RTI deadline. Can FPS be submitted on 6th March? 149 1
- Awkward shareholder (sister) 137 1
- New tax codes for ex-employees 180 3
- how to value rental space 101 3
- Directors loan - no longer a director 326 4
- NHS PENSIONS XFER ABROAD 69 1
- We contribute a percentage of employees' salaries to a pension scheme set up by them - do we need to get involved in auto-enrolment? 463 5
- Output tax for retailer 262 6
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 449 11
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,932 32
- Pass-through costs - show gross or net under UK GAAP / IFRS? 96 1
- Possible Partnership? 601
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 500
- New Fangled Penalties 408
- Clubs and Taxable Income 330
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 297
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 251
- Loans to other companies 243
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 211
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 206
- Outsource Data Entry 205