Revaluing intangible and applying carried over non-trading loss
I have an intangible (website valuation) that, because of an industry event, I need to revalue. I also have a non-trading loss (from a previous amortisation in a loss making year) carried through to the current year, I believe I can apply that loss to the non-trading profit generated by the revaluation of the intangible - is that correct?
I'll give some specific (illustrative) figures so that my question has full context
The website was purchased in 2005 for £2000. Amortised on a straight-line basis over 8 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis), this gave rise to a £250 loss each year applicable against other profits.
In 2009, the company generated a loss, so the £250 loss was carried forward. The company has had profits since but there have been no non-trading profits to apply against that non-trading loss of £250.
In 2011 an industry event extended the useful economic life of the website, so I propose to revalue the website. At beginning of 2011, the carrying value of the website is £500. I believe (based on increased expected future profits from it) the extended life now values it at £1200, to be amortised on a straight-line basis over 6 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis)
My understanding is that I now have a non-trading exceptional profit for 2011 of £700 from this revaluation, and that I can apply the non-trading carried over loss of £250 to leave a non-trading taxable profit of £450 in 2011. Is that correct?
Additionally, the company made a trading profit of £10000, so the total taxable profit would be £10450, and the new annual amortised loss of of £200 can be applied to reduce this taxable profit to £10250.
I'd be grateful for any comments on whether I understand this correctly or not. Thanks
- recompense capital input 142 8
- Spousal transfer and PPR 642 27
- Exports/Dispatches - non VAT registered 94 2
- Capital allowances on taxis 203 2
- CT losses carry back 54 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 539 17
- help guys! self employed or still company income? 103 2
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 737 19
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 413 12
- Where has Portia gone? 2,221 68
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 118 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 180 3
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 213 7
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 219 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 983 22
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 192 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 247 5
- Merging my businesses 223 3
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 485 8
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 378 9
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 797
- RTI - duplicate employee record 561
- Pensions Regulator 451
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 413
- Portia ... Where art thou 326
- Sanzar 315
- How do you do it 300
- Digital marketing focus group 298
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 273
- new investor structure 183