Revaluing intangible and applying carried over non-trading loss
I have an intangible (website valuation) that, because of an industry event, I need to revalue. I also have a non-trading loss (from a previous amortisation in a loss making year) carried through to the current year, I believe I can apply that loss to the non-trading profit generated by the revaluation of the intangible - is that correct?
I'll give some specific (illustrative) figures so that my question has full context
The website was purchased in 2005 for £2000. Amortised on a straight-line basis over 8 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis), this gave rise to a £250 loss each year applicable against other profits.
In 2009, the company generated a loss, so the £250 loss was carried forward. The company has had profits since but there have been no non-trading profits to apply against that non-trading loss of £250.
In 2011 an industry event extended the useful economic life of the website, so I propose to revalue the website. At beginning of 2011, the carrying value of the website is £500. I believe (based on increased expected future profits from it) the extended life now values it at £1200, to be amortised on a straight-line basis over 6 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis)
My understanding is that I now have a non-trading exceptional profit for 2011 of £700 from this revaluation, and that I can apply the non-trading carried over loss of £250 to leave a non-trading taxable profit of £450 in 2011. Is that correct?
Additionally, the company made a trading profit of £10000, so the total taxable profit would be £10450, and the new annual amortised loss of of £200 can be applied to reduce this taxable profit to £10250.
I'd be grateful for any comments on whether I understand this correctly or not. Thanks
- Investment from Friend 27 3
- Identity check problem 1,224 13
- A Director of a Ltd Company let a general Manager run the company, and if anything goes wrong the general manager is responsible? 140 3
- Business Set up cost 87 1
- Advice on letting a client go ? 631 12
- Aged Debtor 49 1
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 944 34
- Loss carry back in Taxfiler 69 3
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 757 28
- blank - ignore 487 8
- Part disposal of shareholding with CGT loss attached 80 2
- calculate mortgage interest 348 5
- Do we have to register for VAT? 439 9
- Capital Gains Relief 93 3
- Companies House praise 223 1
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,060 14
- client can't/won't pay 1,552 27
- Most cr*p bank account ever? 158 1
- Directors NIC's 178 5
- VAT field when booking bills for organisations on VAT FRS 73 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 875
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 571
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 534
- Latest phishing scam 469
- Entrepreneurs' relief 412
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 338
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 317
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 240
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 227
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 163