Revaluing intangible and applying carried over non-trading loss
I have an intangible (website valuation) that, because of an industry event, I need to revalue. I also have a non-trading loss (from a previous amortisation in a loss making year) carried through to the current year, I believe I can apply that loss to the non-trading profit generated by the revaluation of the intangible - is that correct?
I'll give some specific (illustrative) figures so that my question has full context
The website was purchased in 2005 for £2000. Amortised on a straight-line basis over 8 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis), this gave rise to a £250 loss each year applicable against other profits.
In 2009, the company generated a loss, so the £250 loss was carried forward. The company has had profits since but there have been no non-trading profits to apply against that non-trading loss of £250.
In 2011 an industry event extended the useful economic life of the website, so I propose to revalue the website. At beginning of 2011, the carrying value of the website is £500. I believe (based on increased expected future profits from it) the extended life now values it at £1200, to be amortised on a straight-line basis over 6 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis)
My understanding is that I now have a non-trading exceptional profit for 2011 of £700 from this revaluation, and that I can apply the non-trading carried over loss of £250 to leave a non-trading taxable profit of £450 in 2011. Is that correct?
Additionally, the company made a trading profit of £10000, so the total taxable profit would be £10450, and the new annual amortised loss of of £200 can be applied to reduce this taxable profit to £10250.
I'd be grateful for any comments on whether I understand this correctly or not. Thanks
- Gift of property & improvements 90 2
- Error in past Corporate tax return 320 5
- VAT Invoice 95 4
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 784 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 108 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 187 3
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 141 7
- General tax book with planning 116 1
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 253 10
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 128 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 424 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 349 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 238 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 172 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 255 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 156 4
- SA302's anyone?? 530 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,637 41
- Renting for military reasons 183 2
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 1,579 18
- Skandia using wrong address 1,617
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 896
- International interest certificate 509
- NOVA 367
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 288
- Management expenses for investment company 262
- Bonus Bonds 260
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 171
- tax on apprenticeship income 169
- P11D benefit received by widow 148