Revaluing intangible and applying carried over non-trading loss
I have an intangible (website valuation) that, because of an industry event, I need to revalue. I also have a non-trading loss (from a previous amortisation in a loss making year) carried through to the current year, I believe I can apply that loss to the non-trading profit generated by the revaluation of the intangible - is that correct?
I'll give some specific (illustrative) figures so that my question has full context
The website was purchased in 2005 for £2000. Amortised on a straight-line basis over 8 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis), this gave rise to a £250 loss each year applicable against other profits.
In 2009, the company generated a loss, so the £250 loss was carried forward. The company has had profits since but there have been no non-trading profits to apply against that non-trading loss of £250.
In 2011 an industry event extended the useful economic life of the website, so I propose to revalue the website. At beginning of 2011, the carrying value of the website is £500. I believe (based on increased expected future profits from it) the extended life now values it at £1200, to be amortised on a straight-line basis over 6 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis)
My understanding is that I now have a non-trading exceptional profit for 2011 of £700 from this revaluation, and that I can apply the non-trading carried over loss of £250 to leave a non-trading taxable profit of £450 in 2011. Is that correct?
Additionally, the company made a trading profit of £10000, so the total taxable profit would be £10450, and the new annual amortised loss of of £200 can be applied to reduce this taxable profit to £10250.
I'd be grateful for any comments on whether I understand this correctly or not. Thanks
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,599 33
- Accountant software 271 7
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 426 7
- HMRC SPAM AGAIN 52 1
- No Prrof of Posting of Tax Return sent by Post 406 13
- Can pre-registration vat be reclaimed? 217 4
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 1,861 22
- Mileage and Corportation Tax 47 1
- Company Car Purchased in Name of Director 92 1
- Renting property to yourself 295 8
- Definition of "Ultimate Controlling Party" FRS 8 380 16
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 93 4
- register as self employed? 111 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 127 1
- VAT enquiry 78 1
- Write off of former director's loan 216 4
- A previous partnership, a dispute and their conduct now 248 4
- Capital gain or not? 135 3
- EC VAT 159 5
- Forecasting Software 204 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 634
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 483
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 450
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 275
- How to format a stock book 229
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 194
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 182
- Tax efficient holding company structure 171
- Investment property company accounts template 159
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 150