Revaluing intangible and applying carried over non-trading loss
I have an intangible (website valuation) that, because of an industry event, I need to revalue. I also have a non-trading loss (from a previous amortisation in a loss making year) carried through to the current year, I believe I can apply that loss to the non-trading profit generated by the revaluation of the intangible - is that correct?
I'll give some specific (illustrative) figures so that my question has full context
The website was purchased in 2005 for £2000. Amortised on a straight-line basis over 8 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis), this gave rise to a £250 loss each year applicable against other profits.
In 2009, the company generated a loss, so the £250 loss was carried forward. The company has had profits since but there have been no non-trading profits to apply against that non-trading loss of £250.
In 2011 an industry event extended the useful economic life of the website, so I propose to revalue the website. At beginning of 2011, the carrying value of the website is £500. I believe (based on increased expected future profits from it) the extended life now values it at £1200, to be amortised on a straight-line basis over 6 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis)
My understanding is that I now have a non-trading exceptional profit for 2011 of £700 from this revaluation, and that I can apply the non-trading carried over loss of £250 to leave a non-trading taxable profit of £450 in 2011. Is that correct?
Additionally, the company made a trading profit of £10000, so the total taxable profit would be £10450, and the new annual amortised loss of of £200 can be applied to reduce this taxable profit to £10250.
I'd be grateful for any comments on whether I understand this correctly or not. Thanks
- How a company director can keep paying £833 67 4
- Community awards 2014 - first category 187 7
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 473 14
- Employee steeling client data 114 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,356 23
- Small bus. accounting software with departments 189 5
- Subsistence Exclusions 131 3
- Insurance Claims - Legal Services 92 1
- CT600 274 9
- VAT Office Grimsby 211 4
- signature required 913 34
- i want to get the reserves below 25K 189 1
- Can you help me spot errors? 336 4
- format cell to exclude decimals 330 17
- WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON AT HMRC? 148 2
- Form VAT 600 FRS 89 1
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 152 2
- Payment plans for clients 278 3
- Supply of service to EU community body exempt from VAT 94 1
- Lease 148 4
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,307
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 853
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 548
- Credit where credit's due....... 339
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 261
- TheTax Donut 232
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 188
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 180
- Director's business mileage 151
- Sole trader CPD 145