Revaluing intangible and applying carried over non-trading loss
I have an intangible (website valuation) that, because of an industry event, I need to revalue. I also have a non-trading loss (from a previous amortisation in a loss making year) carried through to the current year, I believe I can apply that loss to the non-trading profit generated by the revaluation of the intangible - is that correct?
I'll give some specific (illustrative) figures so that my question has full context
The website was purchased in 2005 for £2000. Amortised on a straight-line basis over 8 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis), this gave rise to a £250 loss each year applicable against other profits.
In 2009, the company generated a loss, so the £250 loss was carried forward. The company has had profits since but there have been no non-trading profits to apply against that non-trading loss of £250.
In 2011 an industry event extended the useful economic life of the website, so I propose to revalue the website. At beginning of 2011, the carrying value of the website is £500. I believe (based on increased expected future profits from it) the extended life now values it at £1200, to be amortised on a straight-line basis over 6 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis)
My understanding is that I now have a non-trading exceptional profit for 2011 of £700 from this revaluation, and that I can apply the non-trading carried over loss of £250 to leave a non-trading taxable profit of £450 in 2011. Is that correct?
Additionally, the company made a trading profit of £10000, so the total taxable profit would be £10450, and the new annual amortised loss of of £200 can be applied to reduce this taxable profit to £10250.
I'd be grateful for any comments on whether I understand this correctly or not. Thanks
- PPR qualifying period while living in employer accommodation? 100 3
- How far back can you get dates of property purchases 25 1
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,201 19
- husband and wife dividends 386 11
- Capital allowance vehicle exchange 133 5
- What is considered an acceptable price for arable farming land 296 6
- Sage Instant Accounts 65 2
- LLP members share of profits 554 31
- VAT Registration 306 4
- VAT Option to tax 416 13
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 146 1
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 189 5
- why prior period posting will be single entry transaction and it wont have any balance transaction 264 4
- HMRC request for Sage Back Up 2,170 26
- late vat registration and immediate deregistration 107 2
- Has anyone knowledge of Creditserve 70 1
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 2,005 15
- Entrepreneurs Relief 162 4
- Business travel apps 155 3
- How often can you change VAT scheme in a year? 102 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 902
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 633
- Free Tax Legislation? 392
- Director Loan account operation 392
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 315
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 313
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 284
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 216
- Paye procedures for CVA 216
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 176