Revaluing intangible and applying carried over non-trading loss
I have an intangible (website valuation) that, because of an industry event, I need to revalue. I also have a non-trading loss (from a previous amortisation in a loss making year) carried through to the current year, I believe I can apply that loss to the non-trading profit generated by the revaluation of the intangible - is that correct?
I'll give some specific (illustrative) figures so that my question has full context
The website was purchased in 2005 for £2000. Amortised on a straight-line basis over 8 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis), this gave rise to a £250 loss each year applicable against other profits.
In 2009, the company generated a loss, so the £250 loss was carried forward. The company has had profits since but there have been no non-trading profits to apply against that non-trading loss of £250.
In 2011 an industry event extended the useful economic life of the website, so I propose to revalue the website. At beginning of 2011, the carrying value of the website is £500. I believe (based on increased expected future profits from it) the extended life now values it at £1200, to be amortised on a straight-line basis over 6 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis)
My understanding is that I now have a non-trading exceptional profit for 2011 of £700 from this revaluation, and that I can apply the non-trading carried over loss of £250 to leave a non-trading taxable profit of £450 in 2011. Is that correct?
Additionally, the company made a trading profit of £10000, so the total taxable profit would be £10450, and the new annual amortised loss of of £200 can be applied to reduce this taxable profit to £10250.
I'd be grateful for any comments on whether I understand this correctly or not. Thanks
- Real names 455 18
- Taxfiler - is it really good? 142 6
- Tax relief on licence costs 100 1
- Who owns the data 180 3
- Clarification over - VAT Box 8 - Flat rate scheme 131 5
- Sole Trader Fees 91 1
- Agricultural Land Hold Over and Roll Over 66 1
- Director hired as an individual 22 1
- VAT charge needed on van sale? 60 1
- Loan interest rental property 181 5
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 107 4
- Theatre as charitable company 31 1
- Peer to Peer lending 116 5
- What's the plural? 660 14
- Garage Conversion -Ltd Company Office 92 1
- Well well well 240 2
- Capital Gains Tax 106 3
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 153 1
- Dividend payment date 1,846 32
- Use of aliases 702 19
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 568
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 429
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 331
- IFA incorporation 306
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 297
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 284
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 248
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 234
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 226
- Sorry ignore me 218