Revaluing intangible and applying carried over non-trading loss
I have an intangible (website valuation) that, because of an industry event, I need to revalue. I also have a non-trading loss (from a previous amortisation in a loss making year) carried through to the current year, I believe I can apply that loss to the non-trading profit generated by the revaluation of the intangible - is that correct?
I'll give some specific (illustrative) figures so that my question has full context
The website was purchased in 2005 for £2000. Amortised on a straight-line basis over 8 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis), this gave rise to a £250 loss each year applicable against other profits.
In 2009, the company generated a loss, so the £250 loss was carried forward. The company has had profits since but there have been no non-trading profits to apply against that non-trading loss of £250.
In 2011 an industry event extended the useful economic life of the website, so I propose to revalue the website. At beginning of 2011, the carrying value of the website is £500. I believe (based on increased expected future profits from it) the extended life now values it at £1200, to be amortised on a straight-line basis over 6 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis)
My understanding is that I now have a non-trading exceptional profit for 2011 of £700 from this revaluation, and that I can apply the non-trading carried over loss of £250 to leave a non-trading taxable profit of £450 in 2011. Is that correct?
Additionally, the company made a trading profit of £10000, so the total taxable profit would be £10450, and the new annual amortised loss of of £200 can be applied to reduce this taxable profit to £10250.
I'd be grateful for any comments on whether I understand this correctly or not. Thanks
- Fee Protection Insurance 1,073 45
- 2 sole traders merging to become a limited company what do they need? 58 2
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 384 19
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 529 16
- Employing a carer 176 2
- VAT on sale of Assets to Director 31 1
- Any Scottish members out there? 13,150 496
- Non resident client -employed in the Cayman Islands 98 1
- "Please be advised that one or more Generic Notification Notices have been issued." 74 3
- Which profit figure to use 57 1
- rti 110 4
- Drop box Storage 362 5
- What Exactly does the RTI Penalty Relaxation mean? 153 2
- Director selling assets to the company that were given to her 245 7
- Partnership issues and acting for one partner 135 4
- RTI -Late registration -any penalties 130 1
- Another goodwill question ....... 154 1
- Can't read my handwriting 727 18
- Fees for Property Tax Return 597 21
- Sole trader &/or Limited company 101 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,379
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 526
- National Insurance 426
- Non Resident 323
- Hands on experience of Digita 248
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 234
- Employer's Helpline 189
- CIS paid under reg 9 189
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 154
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 153