Revaluing intangible and applying carried over non-trading loss
I have an intangible (website valuation) that, because of an industry event, I need to revalue. I also have a non-trading loss (from a previous amortisation in a loss making year) carried through to the current year, I believe I can apply that loss to the non-trading profit generated by the revaluation of the intangible - is that correct?
I'll give some specific (illustrative) figures so that my question has full context
The website was purchased in 2005 for £2000. Amortised on a straight-line basis over 8 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis), this gave rise to a £250 loss each year applicable against other profits.
In 2009, the company generated a loss, so the £250 loss was carried forward. The company has had profits since but there have been no non-trading profits to apply against that non-trading loss of £250.
In 2011 an industry event extended the useful economic life of the website, so I propose to revalue the website. At beginning of 2011, the carrying value of the website is £500. I believe (based on increased expected future profits from it) the extended life now values it at £1200, to be amortised on a straight-line basis over 6 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis)
My understanding is that I now have a non-trading exceptional profit for 2011 of £700 from this revaluation, and that I can apply the non-trading carried over loss of £250 to leave a non-trading taxable profit of £450 in 2011. Is that correct?
Additionally, the company made a trading profit of £10000, so the total taxable profit would be £10450, and the new annual amortised loss of of £200 can be applied to reduce this taxable profit to £10250.
I'd be grateful for any comments on whether I understand this correctly or not. Thanks
- VAT Receipts 144 4
- Today's HMRC Business Help & Support SA302s 88 5
- Company accounts for £350 778 23
- Seeking advice: Osetting Directors Loan at Startup 107 3
- Mandatory Capitalisation 201 3
- Software for Accounts layout 199 3
- Practice software 1,094 16
- A different accounts production software request 126 2
- Seeking advice: With recruitment agencies for temporary placements, is VAT taken off the whole sum received from the client, or just what the company retains? 107 2
- Am I the only one who finds this annoying 1,053 39
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,522 16
- Marriage Allowance Transfer 276 9
- new dividend allowance 300 5
- Identity Checks 302 8
- Allowable expenses on retal property 536 14
- Disclosure of 2014 corporation tax refund in 2015 accounts 320 3
- Company leaving VAT group 95 2
- Redundancy pay 190 2
- Bad debts 188 4
- Sage Drive Queue.dta file lock out 658 13
- FRS 101 Software 309
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 297
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 289
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 268
- French ConnectionUK 228
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 202
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 198
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 196
- APN's 182
- Penalties for late filing of P11D forms 174