Revaluing intangible and applying carried over non-trading loss
I have an intangible (website valuation) that, because of an industry event, I need to revalue. I also have a non-trading loss (from a previous amortisation in a loss making year) carried through to the current year, I believe I can apply that loss to the non-trading profit generated by the revaluation of the intangible - is that correct?
I'll give some specific (illustrative) figures so that my question has full context
The website was purchased in 2005 for £2000. Amortised on a straight-line basis over 8 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis), this gave rise to a £250 loss each year applicable against other profits.
In 2009, the company generated a loss, so the £250 loss was carried forward. The company has had profits since but there have been no non-trading profits to apply against that non-trading loss of £250.
In 2011 an industry event extended the useful economic life of the website, so I propose to revalue the website. At beginning of 2011, the carrying value of the website is £500. I believe (based on increased expected future profits from it) the extended life now values it at £1200, to be amortised on a straight-line basis over 6 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis)
My understanding is that I now have a non-trading exceptional profit for 2011 of £700 from this revaluation, and that I can apply the non-trading carried over loss of £250 to leave a non-trading taxable profit of £450 in 2011. Is that correct?
Additionally, the company made a trading profit of £10000, so the total taxable profit would be £10450, and the new annual amortised loss of of £200 can be applied to reduce this taxable profit to £10250.
I'd be grateful for any comments on whether I understand this correctly or not. Thanks
- Losses B/F and Class 4 NIC 159 2
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 505 21
- Software 310 8
- Company dividends 374 12
- Tax return filed on time but payment late 385 6
- SA late payment penalty 166 3
- Death of taxpayer - personal allowance 284 8
- No codes in Sage 50 Nominal List? 88 1
- Copy Wanted 637 1
- Might income tax be payable on these gifts? 92 2
- How Long does it take to get an Agent ID 100 2
- Private Residence Relief after gift 105 3
- Companies House late filing penalties 2,411 81
- Buy to let property : Is parking bay tax deductible ? 256 5
- When is golf coaching a vatable supply? 164 2
- Comany ceasing to trade 153 2
- French resident, split year & UK close company dividends 116 1
- Closing a limited company 213 5
- Rental Income for Child Benefit Charge 150 2
- Obtaining old payslips & correcting historic tax overpayment 141 3
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 852
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 541
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 512
- Latest phishing scam 397
- Entrepreneurs' relief 372
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 330
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 313
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 299
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 211
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 190