Revaluing intangible and applying carried over non-trading loss
I have an intangible (website valuation) that, because of an industry event, I need to revalue. I also have a non-trading loss (from a previous amortisation in a loss making year) carried through to the current year, I believe I can apply that loss to the non-trading profit generated by the revaluation of the intangible - is that correct?
I'll give some specific (illustrative) figures so that my question has full context
The website was purchased in 2005 for £2000. Amortised on a straight-line basis over 8 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis), this gave rise to a £250 loss each year applicable against other profits.
In 2009, the company generated a loss, so the £250 loss was carried forward. The company has had profits since but there have been no non-trading profits to apply against that non-trading loss of £250.
In 2011 an industry event extended the useful economic life of the website, so I propose to revalue the website. At beginning of 2011, the carrying value of the website is £500. I believe (based on increased expected future profits from it) the extended life now values it at £1200, to be amortised on a straight-line basis over 6 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis)
My understanding is that I now have a non-trading exceptional profit for 2011 of £700 from this revaluation, and that I can apply the non-trading carried over loss of £250 to leave a non-trading taxable profit of £450 in 2011. Is that correct?
Additionally, the company made a trading profit of £10000, so the total taxable profit would be £10450, and the new annual amortised loss of of £200 can be applied to reduce this taxable profit to £10250.
I'd be grateful for any comments on whether I understand this correctly or not. Thanks
- Does anybody wish their local Inspector a Merry Christmas? 205 3
- Signifcant Debts skew SA Tax Liability 1,617 30
- e-payments 199 2
- Does anyone charge late payment interest? 29 1
- Alternative to Sage 50 Accounts and Payroll 81 3
- Gains on Life Assurance Investment Bond After Death 244 2
- Interest Only Mortgage 146 3
- Google ranking, Google reviews and confidentiality 57 1
- Still Looking for Website inspiration 303 8
- HRP and child benefit 157 3
- Incorrect Generic non-filing notice 1,543 22
- Question help 222 7
- Generic notices - ENOUGH IS ENOUGH - Claim costs? 379 8
- Non sequitur 1,928 27
- RTI notices 187 7
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 1,510 26
- Being sued due to monthly fees 2,305 27
- What leverage do I have with accountants if any? 1,635 51
- Born Dull personality of the year 251 3
- On-line companies house filing error 196 8
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 538
- Alphabet shares 384
- confusion about 240
- Membership of SPA 221
- Sole trader renting property from self and co owner 217
- Maximum AIA Claimable 198
- Competition time! 189
- Alternate 182
- hp versus contract hire versus lease purchase with balloon 160
- Tax treatment of lost partnership capital 157