Revaluing intangible and applying carried over non-trading loss
I have an intangible (website valuation) that, because of an industry event, I need to revalue. I also have a non-trading loss (from a previous amortisation in a loss making year) carried through to the current year, I believe I can apply that loss to the non-trading profit generated by the revaluation of the intangible - is that correct?
I'll give some specific (illustrative) figures so that my question has full context
The website was purchased in 2005 for £2000. Amortised on a straight-line basis over 8 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis), this gave rise to a £250 loss each year applicable against other profits.
In 2009, the company generated a loss, so the £250 loss was carried forward. The company has had profits since but there have been no non-trading profits to apply against that non-trading loss of £250.
In 2011 an industry event extended the useful economic life of the website, so I propose to revalue the website. At beginning of 2011, the carrying value of the website is £500. I believe (based on increased expected future profits from it) the extended life now values it at £1200, to be amortised on a straight-line basis over 6 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis)
My understanding is that I now have a non-trading exceptional profit for 2011 of £700 from this revaluation, and that I can apply the non-trading carried over loss of £250 to leave a non-trading taxable profit of £450 in 2011. Is that correct?
Additionally, the company made a trading profit of £10000, so the total taxable profit would be £10450, and the new annual amortised loss of of £200 can be applied to reduce this taxable profit to £10250.
I'd be grateful for any comments on whether I understand this correctly or not. Thanks
- Setting up a practice 165 3
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 625 17
- Stamp Duty 281 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 220 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,765 21
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 454 5
- Incorporation of gp practise 166 1
- Love is in the air 414 5
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 251 9
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,010 46
- Very large share capital by mistake 326 3
- Client Paperwork Retention? 550 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 561 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 327 4
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 346 2
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 381 9
- Reimbursing director travel costs 433 6
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 449 8
- Sage 50 VAT Return 278 2
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 526 1
- DTA tie-breaker issue 295
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 281
- CGT for NOn UK residents 278
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 274
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 249
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 236
- Apprenticeship Levy 232
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 219
- Capital Gains personal representatives 219
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 193