Revaluing intangible and applying carried over non-trading loss
I have an intangible (website valuation) that, because of an industry event, I need to revalue. I also have a non-trading loss (from a previous amortisation in a loss making year) carried through to the current year, I believe I can apply that loss to the non-trading profit generated by the revaluation of the intangible - is that correct?
I'll give some specific (illustrative) figures so that my question has full context
The website was purchased in 2005 for £2000. Amortised on a straight-line basis over 8 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis), this gave rise to a £250 loss each year applicable against other profits.
In 2009, the company generated a loss, so the £250 loss was carried forward. The company has had profits since but there have been no non-trading profits to apply against that non-trading loss of £250.
In 2011 an industry event extended the useful economic life of the website, so I propose to revalue the website. At beginning of 2011, the carrying value of the website is £500. I believe (based on increased expected future profits from it) the extended life now values it at £1200, to be amortised on a straight-line basis over 6 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis)
My understanding is that I now have a non-trading exceptional profit for 2011 of £700 from this revaluation, and that I can apply the non-trading carried over loss of £250 to leave a non-trading taxable profit of £450 in 2011. Is that correct?
Additionally, the company made a trading profit of £10000, so the total taxable profit would be £10450, and the new annual amortised loss of of £200 can be applied to reduce this taxable profit to £10250.
I'd be grateful for any comments on whether I understand this correctly or not. Thanks
- Childcare vouchers 326 7
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,397 9
- Anyone else still working this week? 382 12
- Using home as clients registered address 98 3
- Client being taken to court and really do not know what to do 505 12
- Section 165 TCGA 1992 - time limit? 97 2
- How much does the company pay 692 30
- AIA 282 18
- Van Benefit in Kind Query 173 5
- THEATRE SHOW - HIRE - VAT PAYABLE ON TICKET SALES 47 1
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 239 2
- I have done a terrible thing 769 15
- HMRC property income enquiry 357 8
- Not paying accountant 1,865 46
- Cash basis VAT return 97 1
- VAT on Business Premises 95 2
- Consolidation Software 145 2
- New Incorporations - ERTNAC hoax - anyone else seen this? 1,037 11
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,207 32
- LLp Profits 142 5
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 504
- corporate hierarchy 467
- Advice - 320
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 268
- WWOOFers 260
- The booking.com con 243
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 237
- Cocaine anyone? 221
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 215
- UK State pension paid in NZ 176