Revaluing intangible and applying carried over non-trading loss
I have an intangible (website valuation) that, because of an industry event, I need to revalue. I also have a non-trading loss (from a previous amortisation in a loss making year) carried through to the current year, I believe I can apply that loss to the non-trading profit generated by the revaluation of the intangible - is that correct?
I'll give some specific (illustrative) figures so that my question has full context
The website was purchased in 2005 for £2000. Amortised on a straight-line basis over 8 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis), this gave rise to a £250 loss each year applicable against other profits.
In 2009, the company generated a loss, so the £250 loss was carried forward. The company has had profits since but there have been no non-trading profits to apply against that non-trading loss of £250.
In 2011 an industry event extended the useful economic life of the website, so I propose to revalue the website. At beginning of 2011, the carrying value of the website is £500. I believe (based on increased expected future profits from it) the extended life now values it at £1200, to be amortised on a straight-line basis over 6 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis)
My understanding is that I now have a non-trading exceptional profit for 2011 of £700 from this revaluation, and that I can apply the non-trading carried over loss of £250 to leave a non-trading taxable profit of £450 in 2011. Is that correct?
Additionally, the company made a trading profit of £10000, so the total taxable profit would be £10450, and the new annual amortised loss of of £200 can be applied to reduce this taxable profit to £10250.
I'd be grateful for any comments on whether I understand this correctly or not. Thanks
- HMRC Agents Line 184 4
- Accounts Software 99 4
- calculation DTR restriction 71 1
- Company Director In Prison 432 11
- SMP reclaimable by employer 47 1
- AWeb - download file 157 3
- Charity work 228 11
- Help with HMRC investigation 232 6
- Director Drawings 142 5
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,673 38
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 256 13
- Managing Employee Expenses 220 7
- Collection or business assets 98 1
- Incorporated when they should not have 264 8
- Tax position re this lease? 370 9
- Do I need a smartphone? 719 23
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 103 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,673 70
- IHT 205 partnership and business interests 88 2
- Reasonable excuse for not filing returns....Death? 348 5
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 674
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 513
- Cancelled 427
- Cancelled 365
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 362
- Probiz 335
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 327
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 243
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 215
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 203