Revaluing intangible and applying carried over non-trading loss
I have an intangible (website valuation) that, because of an industry event, I need to revalue. I also have a non-trading loss (from a previous amortisation in a loss making year) carried through to the current year, I believe I can apply that loss to the non-trading profit generated by the revaluation of the intangible - is that correct?
I'll give some specific (illustrative) figures so that my question has full context
The website was purchased in 2005 for £2000. Amortised on a straight-line basis over 8 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis), this gave rise to a £250 loss each year applicable against other profits.
In 2009, the company generated a loss, so the £250 loss was carried forward. The company has had profits since but there have been no non-trading profits to apply against that non-trading loss of £250.
In 2011 an industry event extended the useful economic life of the website, so I propose to revalue the website. At beginning of 2011, the carrying value of the website is £500. I believe (based on increased expected future profits from it) the extended life now values it at £1200, to be amortised on a straight-line basis over 6 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis)
My understanding is that I now have a non-trading exceptional profit for 2011 of £700 from this revaluation, and that I can apply the non-trading carried over loss of £250 to leave a non-trading taxable profit of £450 in 2011. Is that correct?
Additionally, the company made a trading profit of £10000, so the total taxable profit would be £10450, and the new annual amortised loss of of £200 can be applied to reduce this taxable profit to £10250.
I'd be grateful for any comments on whether I understand this correctly or not. Thanks
- Spousal transfer and PPR 473 15
- Where has Portia gone? 1,076 46
- Rogue Accountant 2,947 49
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 211 4
- deceased creditor 109 5
- Corporate member of LLP 263 1
- Investment company 254 6
- Error or mistake in CT return 319 1
- Penalty on dormant CT600 prior to trading 194 1
- HMRC computer behind the times 355 3
- Sage & IRIS Payroll Employee ID. Problem Using Old Ee ID's? 77 1
- Transfer of stock 349 12
- Holiday entitlement 540 10
- Benefit in kind calc, s.106 ITEPA 339 7
- HMRC manual ESSM 188 1
- Extension of lease in flat management company 249 3
- Football Agent Fees 735 23
- Tax avoidance - Doyou know of a better approval? 645 4
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 500 14
- Dir optimum salary 15/16 1,423 22
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 777
- RTI - duplicate employee record 518
- Pensions Regulator 442
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 400
- Sanzar 298
- Sage Vat return box 2 298
- Digital marketing focus group 281
- How do you do it 266
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 234
- Report old income 233