Revaluing intangible and applying carried over non-trading loss
I have an intangible (website valuation) that, because of an industry event, I need to revalue. I also have a non-trading loss (from a previous amortisation in a loss making year) carried through to the current year, I believe I can apply that loss to the non-trading profit generated by the revaluation of the intangible - is that correct?
I'll give some specific (illustrative) figures so that my question has full context
The website was purchased in 2005 for £2000. Amortised on a straight-line basis over 8 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis), this gave rise to a £250 loss each year applicable against other profits.
In 2009, the company generated a loss, so the £250 loss was carried forward. The company has had profits since but there have been no non-trading profits to apply against that non-trading loss of £250.
In 2011 an industry event extended the useful economic life of the website, so I propose to revalue the website. At beginning of 2011, the carrying value of the website is £500. I believe (based on increased expected future profits from it) the extended life now values it at £1200, to be amortised on a straight-line basis over 6 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis)
My understanding is that I now have a non-trading exceptional profit for 2011 of £700 from this revaluation, and that I can apply the non-trading carried over loss of £250 to leave a non-trading taxable profit of £450 in 2011. Is that correct?
Additionally, the company made a trading profit of £10000, so the total taxable profit would be £10450, and the new annual amortised loss of of £200 can be applied to reduce this taxable profit to £10250.
I'd be grateful for any comments on whether I understand this correctly or not. Thanks
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 274 7
- Fee base v staff ratio 469 7
- Desperate IFAs and Auto-enrolment Scare stories 141 4
- payroll software 430 7
- 1 investor and 1 director 50% shareholding each advice please 233 13
- Cash basis 560 14
- Posting pension salary sacrifice journal 53 1
- Complicated Company car purchase 251 3
- Statutory sick pay 351 5
- client threatening legal action 2,153 30
- Recomendations for a purchase order management book please? 149 2
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 199 1
- Instant CPD offer 314 3
- Income from rent charged to business 190 2
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 464 5
- Dividend in specie 383 9
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 192 3
- Retail vat schemes for a restaurant 154 1
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 287 1
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 305 1
- Skandia using wrong address 586
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 314
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 313
- Employee rewards 295
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 264
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 232
- Etax Australian 194
- LLP in Construction Industry 159
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 136
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 135