Revaluing intangible and applying carried over non-trading loss
I have an intangible (website valuation) that, because of an industry event, I need to revalue. I also have a non-trading loss (from a previous amortisation in a loss making year) carried through to the current year, I believe I can apply that loss to the non-trading profit generated by the revaluation of the intangible - is that correct?
I'll give some specific (illustrative) figures so that my question has full context
The website was purchased in 2005 for £2000. Amortised on a straight-line basis over 8 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis), this gave rise to a £250 loss each year applicable against other profits.
In 2009, the company generated a loss, so the £250 loss was carried forward. The company has had profits since but there have been no non-trading profits to apply against that non-trading loss of £250.
In 2011 an industry event extended the useful economic life of the website, so I propose to revalue the website. At beginning of 2011, the carrying value of the website is £500. I believe (based on increased expected future profits from it) the extended life now values it at £1200, to be amortised on a straight-line basis over 6 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis)
My understanding is that I now have a non-trading exceptional profit for 2011 of £700 from this revaluation, and that I can apply the non-trading carried over loss of £250 to leave a non-trading taxable profit of £450 in 2011. Is that correct?
Additionally, the company made a trading profit of £10000, so the total taxable profit would be £10450, and the new annual amortised loss of of £200 can be applied to reduce this taxable profit to £10250.
I'd be grateful for any comments on whether I understand this correctly or not. Thanks
- Withdrawing company car 95 1
- The stupidity continues 1,395 71
- looking for a practice consultant 115 1
- AML report needed? 164 7
- Bank request To verify Accounts 203 6
- RE assets introduced and rent 72 1
- transactions after account have been closed 307 10
- VAT on work on residential premises (empty for 2 years prior) 64 1
- How to claim subsistence for working away from home 156 2
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 388 9
- Marketing and email surprises 449 9
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 764 26
- What is IRIS World like? 408 10
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 322 5
- Mlom bollocks 252 4
- VT Transactions Stock Issues 106 2
- Non-Europe based but want to do UK taxes 158 1
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 590 11
- Can I claim Vat on solicitors invoices? 310 6
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 284 6
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 444
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 443
- WIP Software 308
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 293
- No payroll scheme in place 242
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 235
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 215
- Is there anything wrong with this? 210
- Small Part Disposal of Property 197
- Uncommercial property business 189