Revaluing intangible and applying carried over non-trading loss
I have an intangible (website valuation) that, because of an industry event, I need to revalue. I also have a non-trading loss (from a previous amortisation in a loss making year) carried through to the current year, I believe I can apply that loss to the non-trading profit generated by the revaluation of the intangible - is that correct?
I'll give some specific (illustrative) figures so that my question has full context
The website was purchased in 2005 for £2000. Amortised on a straight-line basis over 8 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis), this gave rise to a £250 loss each year applicable against other profits.
In 2009, the company generated a loss, so the £250 loss was carried forward. The company has had profits since but there have been no non-trading profits to apply against that non-trading loss of £250.
In 2011 an industry event extended the useful economic life of the website, so I propose to revalue the website. At beginning of 2011, the carrying value of the website is £500. I believe (based on increased expected future profits from it) the extended life now values it at £1200, to be amortised on a straight-line basis over 6 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis)
My understanding is that I now have a non-trading exceptional profit for 2011 of £700 from this revaluation, and that I can apply the non-trading carried over loss of £250 to leave a non-trading taxable profit of £450 in 2011. Is that correct?
Additionally, the company made a trading profit of £10000, so the total taxable profit would be £10450, and the new annual amortised loss of of £200 can be applied to reduce this taxable profit to £10250.
I'd be grateful for any comments on whether I understand this correctly or not. Thanks
- first year company tax return for a limited company 310 11
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 218 6
- CG34 Post Transaction Valuation, CGT and Entrepreneurs Relief 209 9
- change of office address 206 6
- Hive up - accounting and notes to financial statements 271 6
- Are Locum Optician Travel Costs Allowable? 212 3
- Furniture Rental Business 154 4
- Solicitor accounts 194 5
- Real names 1,343 41
- Illegal dividends 66 1
- Unallocated client money 305 8
- VAT On Conference Sponsorship 167 3
- SAGE V12 73 1
- Errors in prior year accounts 700 18
- What are options for non CA firm 1,859 32
- Expenses Apps 186 3
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 351 3
- Dissolve a Ltd Company - How much do you charge? 457 8
- Accounting for VAT on an EU Acquisition 133 1
- reliable alternative to registered ofice required 138 1
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 607
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 497
- Sorry ignore me 393
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 368
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 283
- Cancelled 254
- Cancelled 227
- Bartercard 183
- C79 Discrepancy 178
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 167