Revaluing intangible and applying carried over non-trading loss
I have an intangible (website valuation) that, because of an industry event, I need to revalue. I also have a non-trading loss (from a previous amortisation in a loss making year) carried through to the current year, I believe I can apply that loss to the non-trading profit generated by the revaluation of the intangible - is that correct?
I'll give some specific (illustrative) figures so that my question has full context
The website was purchased in 2005 for £2000. Amortised on a straight-line basis over 8 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis), this gave rise to a £250 loss each year applicable against other profits.
In 2009, the company generated a loss, so the £250 loss was carried forward. The company has had profits since but there have been no non-trading profits to apply against that non-trading loss of £250.
In 2011 an industry event extended the useful economic life of the website, so I propose to revalue the website. At beginning of 2011, the carrying value of the website is £500. I believe (based on increased expected future profits from it) the extended life now values it at £1200, to be amortised on a straight-line basis over 6 years (expected useful economic life on a prudent basis)
My understanding is that I now have a non-trading exceptional profit for 2011 of £700 from this revaluation, and that I can apply the non-trading carried over loss of £250 to leave a non-trading taxable profit of £450 in 2011. Is that correct?
Additionally, the company made a trading profit of £10000, so the total taxable profit would be £10450, and the new annual amortised loss of of £200 can be applied to reduce this taxable profit to £10250.
I'd be grateful for any comments on whether I understand this correctly or not. Thanks
- Should replies on AWEB show details of the qualifications 167 9
- Google contacts sharing within our domain 415 6
- Personal allowance 637 14
- New Fangled Penalties 1,101 1
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 125 1
- Does Members voluntary liquidation require change of year end 91 1
- What do you all do in your spare time? 724 30
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 804 9
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 271 3
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 374 10
- VAT on employee loan 291 5
- Taking over from an on-line accounting firm. Any ideas? 949 18
- Charging VAT on a company loan ?. 143 2
- Accountants website 385 5
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 170 5
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 469 8
- Threshold company limited by guarantee. 101 1
- Retrospective VAT Claim 119 1
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,411 20
- SAGE 50 PAYROLL YEAR END 224 5
- Moving away from CCH software 939
- QROP pension input amounts 431
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 375
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 346
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 313
- fraud 272
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 243
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 215
- Construction CIS LLP Company 195
- EPS and CIS deductions 188