Reverse directors wages for year?
I have just taken over a new client, seems previous advisors have allowed the 2 directors (who are also shareholders) to continue paying themselves normal hourly wages with no obvious reason (dirs wages are at around £30k each a year, which is way in excess of standard £624 monthly amount for directors on salary & divs mix).
Assuming there will be sufficient profits when accounts are prepared - is there any reason why we could not reverse both directors wages from April '12 to date and pay them the £624 per month instead (purely from payroll perspective) - we don't think they are on RTI yet so HMRC have no knowledge of what has been paid in the year to date except the PAYE figures. PAYE has been paid up to date, with around £20k of it relating to the directors! - so therefore if we could reverse the wages to date they would get the £20k refunded.
Is this possible? Has anyone else done this before?
My only reservation is that it will raise suspicion with HMRC regarding the potential £20k refund - is this likely?
Thanks in advance for any replies.
(PS am only interested in this from a PAYE/payroll perspective - i realise that there will be other considerations when we come to prepare the annual accounts)
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 256 3
- Cocaine anyone? 107 2
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,461 21
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 811 25
- ACCA - still making me laugh 439 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 246 1
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 316 11
- Tax return software for remote working 468 4
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 524 9
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 434 9
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 445 9
- How to purchase business premises? 156 2
- Will I need to resign? 817 10
- Childcare vouchers 171 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 273 5
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 299 6
- VAT avoidance? 231 4
- Can S455 tax repaid 186 3
- PAYE coding out 191 3
- Follower cases 576 2
- Hive up 471
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 438
- corporate hierarchy 416
- Advice - 248
- Amortisation of Goodwill 220
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 206
- WWOOFers 202
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 187
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 182
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 179