Reverse directors wages for year?
I have just taken over a new client, seems previous advisors have allowed the 2 directors (who are also shareholders) to continue paying themselves normal hourly wages with no obvious reason (dirs wages are at around £30k each a year, which is way in excess of standard £624 monthly amount for directors on salary & divs mix).
Assuming there will be sufficient profits when accounts are prepared - is there any reason why we could not reverse both directors wages from April '12 to date and pay them the £624 per month instead (purely from payroll perspective) - we don't think they are on RTI yet so HMRC have no knowledge of what has been paid in the year to date except the PAYE figures. PAYE has been paid up to date, with around £20k of it relating to the directors! - so therefore if we could reverse the wages to date they would get the £20k refunded.
Is this possible? Has anyone else done this before?
My only reservation is that it will raise suspicion with HMRC regarding the potential £20k refund - is this likely?
Thanks in advance for any replies.
(PS am only interested in this from a PAYE/payroll perspective - i realise that there will be other considerations when we come to prepare the annual accounts)
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 45 1
- Use of home for storage 46 1
- Anyone out there with charity accounts experience 113 4
- What should I do for 'free' 311 5
- Family loan 642 10
- Mortgage deposit Gift 240 11
- Being Tax relevant 477 6
- planning to be self employed bookkeeper what do i need to do before i start? 436 7
- Any Scottish members out there? 8,484 319
- Outsourcing iXBRL Tagging 34 1
- Payroll provider 284 6
- Loan to a related company 275 13
- Partnership to Sole Trader 73 2
- FIFA game and making money 670 8
- Amending Share Capital 112 4
- Umbrella Company 58 1
- Disclosure of pending convertible loan notes? 239 11
- Father selling son 25% of Property with view to selling rest within 5 years 134 5
- Bonus/Shares 112 5
- Settlement re Offshore Bond 164 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,146
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 376
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 303
- National Insurance 285
- Payments on account coded out?? 246
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 246
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 227
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 208
- Non Resident 197
- Franchise income and costs 182