Reverse directors wages for year?
I have just taken over a new client, seems previous advisors have allowed the 2 directors (who are also shareholders) to continue paying themselves normal hourly wages with no obvious reason (dirs wages are at around £30k each a year, which is way in excess of standard £624 monthly amount for directors on salary & divs mix).
Assuming there will be sufficient profits when accounts are prepared - is there any reason why we could not reverse both directors wages from April '12 to date and pay them the £624 per month instead (purely from payroll perspective) - we don't think they are on RTI yet so HMRC have no knowledge of what has been paid in the year to date except the PAYE figures. PAYE has been paid up to date, with around £20k of it relating to the directors! - so therefore if we could reverse the wages to date they would get the £20k refunded.
Is this possible? Has anyone else done this before?
My only reservation is that it will raise suspicion with HMRC regarding the potential £20k refund - is this likely?
Thanks in advance for any replies.
(PS am only interested in this from a PAYE/payroll perspective - i realise that there will be other considerations when we come to prepare the annual accounts)
- Welcome to the Saturday Club 1,379 63
- Non-SA client with large capital gain 334 12
- Tax Penalty overeaction 579 11
- calculate mortgage interest 111 1
- Auto enrolment 1,645 27
- AIA 203 5
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 585 27
- Depreciation 156 1
- Help needed- Unable to fill CT600 form using HMRC software- service issue 133 3
- Loan repayments (personal) and profits 224 6
- Window Comb Binder Cover 180 3
- client can't/won't pay 450 13
- Help - Capital Allowance 204 6
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 256 6
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 269 9
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,194 18
- 5% penalty on late payment 275 3
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 217 5
- HMRC SA software error? 186 2
- Plant & Machinery for commercial property 177 2
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 791
- Copy Wanted 505
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 463
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 456
- Latest phishing scam 293
- Entrepreneurs' relief 282
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 276
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 256
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 244
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 241