Reverse directors wages for year?
I have just taken over a new client, seems previous advisors have allowed the 2 directors (who are also shareholders) to continue paying themselves normal hourly wages with no obvious reason (dirs wages are at around £30k each a year, which is way in excess of standard £624 monthly amount for directors on salary & divs mix).
Assuming there will be sufficient profits when accounts are prepared - is there any reason why we could not reverse both directors wages from April '12 to date and pay them the £624 per month instead (purely from payroll perspective) - we don't think they are on RTI yet so HMRC have no knowledge of what has been paid in the year to date except the PAYE figures. PAYE has been paid up to date, with around £20k of it relating to the directors! - so therefore if we could reverse the wages to date they would get the £20k refunded.
Is this possible? Has anyone else done this before?
My only reservation is that it will raise suspicion with HMRC regarding the potential £20k refund - is this likely?
Thanks in advance for any replies.
(PS am only interested in this from a PAYE/payroll perspective - i realise that there will be other considerations when we come to prepare the annual accounts)
- Taxfiler been down since mid-afternoon 67 4
- Anyone having problems with Taxfiler 437 17
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 40 1
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 175 6
- Paid too much !! 142 1
- Gifting Shares to a Limited Company 70 1
- Company separation for Wholesale & Retail businesses 60 1
- Selling a VAT Qualifying vehicle at a loss 62 1
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 470 15
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 736 11
- Sports Sponsorship 106 1
- New Shareholder and Purchase of Own Share 233 17
- Opt To Tax Refund 206 2
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 186 6
- Is the CT61 return dead? 1,303 14
- Best software for small practice? 596 19
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 1,255 21
- HMRC Enquiry 467 2
- Car purchase Lease or Buy 213 7
- Notifying HMRC when striking off company that never traded 288 4
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 764
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 453
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 271
- DTA tie-breaker issue 261
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 244
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 223
- CGT for NOn UK residents 216
- Apprenticeship Levy 195
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 191
- Capital Gains personal representatives 181