Reverse directors wages for year?
I have just taken over a new client, seems previous advisors have allowed the 2 directors (who are also shareholders) to continue paying themselves normal hourly wages with no obvious reason (dirs wages are at around £30k each a year, which is way in excess of standard £624 monthly amount for directors on salary & divs mix).
Assuming there will be sufficient profits when accounts are prepared - is there any reason why we could not reverse both directors wages from April '12 to date and pay them the £624 per month instead (purely from payroll perspective) - we don't think they are on RTI yet so HMRC have no knowledge of what has been paid in the year to date except the PAYE figures. PAYE has been paid up to date, with around £20k of it relating to the directors! - so therefore if we could reverse the wages to date they would get the £20k refunded.
Is this possible? Has anyone else done this before?
My only reservation is that it will raise suspicion with HMRC regarding the potential £20k refund - is this likely?
Thanks in advance for any replies.
(PS am only interested in this from a PAYE/payroll perspective - i realise that there will be other considerations when we come to prepare the annual accounts)
- How much to charge for payroll? 713 16
- When do we qualify for state pension? 129 2
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 110 4
- BTC vs Digita 968 29
- Seeking a tax case 236 8
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 266 4
- See you all on the other side 214 5
- VATABLE Income 267 3
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 196 2
- Different Filing Dates - Help! 258 7
- What are we calling cloud now? 396 6
- P11D software 88 1
- Write off of loans FROM participators 444 9
- VAT - business splitting 231 3
- Income tax or Capital gains tax? 585 16
- RTI - how to correct HMRC's error 408 7
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 951 16
- Jersey - VAT 122 2
- how to file Late annual Accounts for dormant company ? 297 5
- Flat rate Vat Scheme for a Welder 225 2
- HMRC Joint Filing 520
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 391
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 350
- IRIS and FRS 102 323
- USA help 279
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 243
- Capital gains on rental property 225
- Sage Coretime 212
- Capitalising Finance Lease 209
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 199