Reverse directors wages for year?
I have just taken over a new client, seems previous advisors have allowed the 2 directors (who are also shareholders) to continue paying themselves normal hourly wages with no obvious reason (dirs wages are at around £30k each a year, which is way in excess of standard £624 monthly amount for directors on salary & divs mix).
Assuming there will be sufficient profits when accounts are prepared - is there any reason why we could not reverse both directors wages from April '12 to date and pay them the £624 per month instead (purely from payroll perspective) - we don't think they are on RTI yet so HMRC have no knowledge of what has been paid in the year to date except the PAYE figures. PAYE has been paid up to date, with around £20k of it relating to the directors! - so therefore if we could reverse the wages to date they would get the £20k refunded.
Is this possible? Has anyone else done this before?
My only reservation is that it will raise suspicion with HMRC regarding the potential £20k refund - is this likely?
Thanks in advance for any replies.
(PS am only interested in this from a PAYE/payroll perspective - i realise that there will be other considerations when we come to prepare the annual accounts)
- Starting new accounting business 214 5
- Advice needed on my practice but not my clients 101 2
- Clients 626 13
- Is the annual Money Laundering Payment tax allowable 156 2
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 441 10
- Bookkeeping software for cafe and VAT 27 1
- VAT Reg.for sole trader with 2 S/E 30 1
- Sage Payroll 73 1
- SAGE 50 - Invoice Date 99 2
- VAT flat rate scheme 414 8
- Tolley UK sales number 200 7
- Intermediaries reporting - who does it apply to? 105 2
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 339 14
- Are agent account managers any good? 134 2
- Non Resident Landlord Scheme - Penalties 69 3
- VAT registration - which address? 69 1
- Leaving the flat rate scheme 88 2
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 227 4
- On line Remote Training 244 7
- Group Relief 81 1
- QROP pension input amounts 490
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 470
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 436
- EPS and CIS deductions 291
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 282
- Construction CIS LLP Company 273
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 236
- SAGE winforecast 196
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 180
- Overdrawn director account 171