Reverse directors wages for year?
I have just taken over a new client, seems previous advisors have allowed the 2 directors (who are also shareholders) to continue paying themselves normal hourly wages with no obvious reason (dirs wages are at around £30k each a year, which is way in excess of standard £624 monthly amount for directors on salary & divs mix).
Assuming there will be sufficient profits when accounts are prepared - is there any reason why we could not reverse both directors wages from April '12 to date and pay them the £624 per month instead (purely from payroll perspective) - we don't think they are on RTI yet so HMRC have no knowledge of what has been paid in the year to date except the PAYE figures. PAYE has been paid up to date, with around £20k of it relating to the directors! - so therefore if we could reverse the wages to date they would get the £20k refunded.
Is this possible? Has anyone else done this before?
My only reservation is that it will raise suspicion with HMRC regarding the potential £20k refund - is this likely?
Thanks in advance for any replies.
(PS am only interested in this from a PAYE/payroll perspective - i realise that there will be other considerations when we come to prepare the annual accounts)
- SATR - ommission of capital gains 59 1
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 2,250 19
- Scanners 162 4
- Overdrawn Directors Loan Account 70 1
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 148 5
- Solar panels - VAT and Capital allowances 229 3
- Recharge for private use of a company car 400 9
- Payment plans for clients 102 2
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 224 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 228 7
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 390 2
- Should I move back home away from my office? 438 9
- P60 or payslips? 88 1
- Property income in different capacities 99 1
- IHT dilemma 1,382 21
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 187 1
- IT advisory questions? 173 5
- Entrepreneurs Relief 793 44
- Has anyone else come across VAT account suspensions? 136 1
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 526 7
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,157
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 796
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 486
- Digita Hosted Software 320
- Credit where credit's due....... 270
- Director phone costs 231
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 226
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 194
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 152
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 135