Reverse directors wages for year?
I have just taken over a new client, seems previous advisors have allowed the 2 directors (who are also shareholders) to continue paying themselves normal hourly wages with no obvious reason (dirs wages are at around £30k each a year, which is way in excess of standard £624 monthly amount for directors on salary & divs mix).
Assuming there will be sufficient profits when accounts are prepared - is there any reason why we could not reverse both directors wages from April '12 to date and pay them the £624 per month instead (purely from payroll perspective) - we don't think they are on RTI yet so HMRC have no knowledge of what has been paid in the year to date except the PAYE figures. PAYE has been paid up to date, with around £20k of it relating to the directors! - so therefore if we could reverse the wages to date they would get the £20k refunded.
Is this possible? Has anyone else done this before?
My only reservation is that it will raise suspicion with HMRC regarding the potential £20k refund - is this likely?
Thanks in advance for any replies.
(PS am only interested in this from a PAYE/payroll perspective - i realise that there will be other considerations when we come to prepare the annual accounts)
- Who would you nominate for a Practice Excellence Award? 136 1
- How to change credit note allocation in Sage 216 9
- How to Value a Business 472 9
- can a CGT transfer be legally cancelled in the future if 129 5
- Simple Ltd company accounts service 539 13
- How much did you pay for your website 480 13
- Companies House 135 2
- HMRC repayment issued, how long till it hits account? 112 1
- Sage Payroll & NIC 380 7
- Company Pension Contributions 257 6
- Gross Profit Percentage 214 4
- Expenses allowable 165 3
- Let Property Campaign 385 6
- Is there anything I should know about Northern Irish companies? 134 1
- Self employment trap - pension 345 3
- Awkward IP 612 9
- ESC A19 129 2
- When does my Property business start 269 4
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 1,536 43
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 868 19
- CTA study material 603
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 593
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 366
- Employment related securities question 224
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 198
- ATED Penalties 195
- AIM Stocks and IHT 176
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 135
- Expat pension contributions? 126
- Trust for Employee 125