Reverse directors wages for year?
I have just taken over a new client, seems previous advisors have allowed the 2 directors (who are also shareholders) to continue paying themselves normal hourly wages with no obvious reason (dirs wages are at around £30k each a year, which is way in excess of standard £624 monthly amount for directors on salary & divs mix).
Assuming there will be sufficient profits when accounts are prepared - is there any reason why we could not reverse both directors wages from April '12 to date and pay them the £624 per month instead (purely from payroll perspective) - we don't think they are on RTI yet so HMRC have no knowledge of what has been paid in the year to date except the PAYE figures. PAYE has been paid up to date, with around £20k of it relating to the directors! - so therefore if we could reverse the wages to date they would get the £20k refunded.
Is this possible? Has anyone else done this before?
My only reservation is that it will raise suspicion with HMRC regarding the potential £20k refund - is this likely?
Thanks in advance for any replies.
(PS am only interested in this from a PAYE/payroll perspective - i realise that there will be other considerations when we come to prepare the annual accounts)
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,654 38
- Accounts Software 23 2
- Help with HMRC investigation 153 4
- Director Drawings 61 4
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 233 13
- Managing Employee Expenses 190 7
- HMRC Agents Line 154 3
- Collection or business assets 74 1
- Incorporated when they should not have 231 8
- Company Director In Prison 399 10
- Tax position re this lease? 357 9
- Do I need a smartphone? 689 23
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 90 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,639 70
- IHT 205 partnership and business interests 77 2
- Reasonable excuse for not filing returns....Death? 325 5
- AWeb - download file 129 2
- pension paid by company? 326 8
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 743 17
- Late annual return 125 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 673
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 503
- Cancelled 427
- Cancelled 364
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 361
- Probiz 334
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 325
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 242
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 215
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 198