Reverse directors wages for year?
I have just taken over a new client, seems previous advisors have allowed the 2 directors (who are also shareholders) to continue paying themselves normal hourly wages with no obvious reason (dirs wages are at around £30k each a year, which is way in excess of standard £624 monthly amount for directors on salary & divs mix).
Assuming there will be sufficient profits when accounts are prepared - is there any reason why we could not reverse both directors wages from April '12 to date and pay them the £624 per month instead (purely from payroll perspective) - we don't think they are on RTI yet so HMRC have no knowledge of what has been paid in the year to date except the PAYE figures. PAYE has been paid up to date, with around £20k of it relating to the directors! - so therefore if we could reverse the wages to date they would get the £20k refunded.
Is this possible? Has anyone else done this before?
My only reservation is that it will raise suspicion with HMRC regarding the potential £20k refund - is this likely?
Thanks in advance for any replies.
(PS am only interested in this from a PAYE/payroll perspective - i realise that there will be other considerations when we come to prepare the annual accounts)
- Is anyone a member of National Accountancy Network? 218 5
- Running Cost of Private Car more than 45p per mile?? 186 6
- Land Opt to Tax - VAT scope 111 5
- r&d payable tax credits 20 1
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 340 3
- CIS gross status review 155 2
- Ltd co client preparing own self assessment tax returns 98 2
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 189 4
- Dispensation pointless ? 347 6
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 93 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,117 26
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 348 10
- Claiming pension relief 54 1
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 274 8
- Tax on Bitcoin gains in hands of individual 195 3
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 204 7
- Write off of former director's loan 388 8
- What aspects of accountancy/book-keeping most trouble people 252 4
- VAT on part of a closed pub 219 13
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 265 4
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 778
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 493
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 305
- How to format a stock book 269
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 222
- Tax efficient holding company structure 211
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 203
- Investment property company accounts template 194
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 178
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 167