Reverse directors wages for year?
I have just taken over a new client, seems previous advisors have allowed the 2 directors (who are also shareholders) to continue paying themselves normal hourly wages with no obvious reason (dirs wages are at around £30k each a year, which is way in excess of standard £624 monthly amount for directors on salary & divs mix).
Assuming there will be sufficient profits when accounts are prepared - is there any reason why we could not reverse both directors wages from April '12 to date and pay them the £624 per month instead (purely from payroll perspective) - we don't think they are on RTI yet so HMRC have no knowledge of what has been paid in the year to date except the PAYE figures. PAYE has been paid up to date, with around £20k of it relating to the directors! - so therefore if we could reverse the wages to date they would get the £20k refunded.
Is this possible? Has anyone else done this before?
My only reservation is that it will raise suspicion with HMRC regarding the potential £20k refund - is this likely?
Thanks in advance for any replies.
(PS am only interested in this from a PAYE/payroll perspective - i realise that there will be other considerations when we come to prepare the annual accounts)
- B2B vat in the EU 138 3
- Why should I retain membership? 2,735 47
- Coding Notice 163 4
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 139 3
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 127 2
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 449 7
- Vat 279 7
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,277 13
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 346 7
- Recharge for private use of a company car 190 3
- Funding Circle Servicing Fee 164 2
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,491 18
- CT/CIS offset 146 2
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 195 4
- Trade name 194 3
- Musician - Allowable Travel expenses 143 1
- New business - journal entries 323 20
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 319 18
- VAT on deposits 212 2
- VAT clearance for determining the correct rate to apply 147 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 820
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 711
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 392
- Social investment tax relief 210
- Digita Hosted Software 205
- Call Centre Data Costs 195
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 163
- Travel costs and contractors 159
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 149
- accounting for this transaction 143