I have a client who owns a garden centre personally and he has let this to his own personal trading company.
He intends to sell the garden centre and also his shares in the trading company, at the same time, and would like to purchase a fishery using most of the proceeds. We are considering whether rollover relief under s.152 TCGA 92 is available.
The HMRC manuals and Simon's Taxes make it clear the old and the new asset should be used in the same personal trading company.
The legislation at s.157 TCGA (personal company) is unclear on the situation although I have to say it does not look like it intends to dissalow relief in our circumstance.
This is impossible if you have, in our case, sold the personal trading company shares. We could set up a new personal trading company but the strict interpretation seams to be that rollover relief is not available. Also, what if he runs the fishery as a sole trader?
Do readers have any experience with making claims in such circumstances? It seams unfair that you cannot make a claim.
Many thanks in anticipation of your replies.
- Paid too much !! 283 3
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 151 2
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 104 3
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 233 1
- will this work for IHT 253 2
- Best software for small practice? 642 20
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,746 39
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 279 7
- Taxfiler been down since mid-afternoon 231 5
- Anyone having problems with Taxfiler 493 17
- Gifting Shares to a Limited Company 135 1
- Company separation for Wholesale & Retail businesses 112 1
- Selling a VAT Qualifying vehicle at a loss 119 1
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 481 15
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 751 11
- Sports Sponsorship 170 1
- New Shareholder and Purchase of Own Share 280 17
- Opt To Tax Refund 215 2
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 278 6
- Is the CT61 return dead? 1,332 14
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 769
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 455
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 276
- DTA tie-breaker issue 263
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 249
- CGT for NOn UK residents 224
- Apprenticeship Levy 203
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 195
- Capital Gains personal representatives 183
- Just checking re PSA 176