I have a client who owns a garden centre personally and he has let this to his own personal trading company.
He intends to sell the garden centre and also his shares in the trading company, at the same time, and would like to purchase a fishery using most of the proceeds. We are considering whether rollover relief under s.152 TCGA 92 is available.
The HMRC manuals and Simon's Taxes make it clear the old and the new asset should be used in the same personal trading company.
The legislation at s.157 TCGA (personal company) is unclear on the situation although I have to say it does not look like it intends to dissalow relief in our circumstance.
This is impossible if you have, in our case, sold the personal trading company shares. We could set up a new personal trading company but the strict interpretation seams to be that rollover relief is not available. Also, what if he runs the fishery as a sole trader?
Do readers have any experience with making claims in such circumstances? It seams unfair that you cannot make a claim.
Many thanks in anticipation of your replies.
- Amend tax return? 95 2
- Self Assessment and P11D 184 5
- Adding shop sales to sage 31 2
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 263 9
- self assessment repayment requesto 544 11
- What does the "K" signify 29 1
- Capital Gains Relief 189 7
- Directors Salary and Self Assessment (PAYE) 118 2
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 993 42
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 676 26
- Tax on devidend in my company who is employee in other company 109 3
- Two weeks grace on self assessment where repayment is due? 216 4
- HMRC SA302s 52 1
- Investment from Friend 208 10
- Receipt bank 360 8
- Trading lossess & non trading co & investment income 71 1
- Do we have to register for VAT? 503 10
- Director remuneration £1000 only in year. paye registration required? 353 4
- Company dividends 554 15
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,211 15
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 882
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 585
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 546
- Latest phishing scam 481
- Entrepreneurs' relief 429
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 353
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 327
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 251
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 251
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 175