I have a client who owns a garden centre personally and he has let this to his own personal trading company.
He intends to sell the garden centre and also his shares in the trading company, at the same time, and would like to purchase a fishery using most of the proceeds. We are considering whether rollover relief under s.152 TCGA 92 is available.
The HMRC manuals and Simon's Taxes make it clear the old and the new asset should be used in the same personal trading company.
The legislation at s.157 TCGA (personal company) is unclear on the situation although I have to say it does not look like it intends to dissalow relief in our circumstance.
This is impossible if you have, in our case, sold the personal trading company shares. We could set up a new personal trading company but the strict interpretation seams to be that rollover relief is not available. Also, what if he runs the fishery as a sole trader?
Do readers have any experience with making claims in such circumstances? It seams unfair that you cannot make a claim.
Many thanks in anticipation of your replies.
- first year company tax return for a limited company 1,167 27
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 700 14
- is this fraud? 484 10
- Not a good start no broadband 307 7
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 373 8
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 591 10
- Property initial recognition 119 2
- P11D Dispensation 189 3
- Question regarding gym training 202 3
- CPD 66 1
- Dissolving company to avoid CCJ 396 7
- new software IXBRL and Accounts production? 128 1
- Mortgage to buy property in limited company 161 4
- Directors Subsistence 370 3
- Gong round in Circles with CT600 202 2
- How long are 64-8s taking these days? 423 9
- R&D tax credit claim 163 4
- New company - form a group? 106 1
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 136 3
- Married woman dies owning marital home 360 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 565
- Cancelled 339
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 322
- Cancelled 278
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 241
- Probiz 223
- CIS Deductions 182
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 170
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 164
- Car leasing scheme 158