I have a client who owns a garden centre personally and he has let this to his own personal trading company.
He intends to sell the garden centre and also his shares in the trading company, at the same time, and would like to purchase a fishery using most of the proceeds. We are considering whether rollover relief under s.152 TCGA 92 is available.
The HMRC manuals and Simon's Taxes make it clear the old and the new asset should be used in the same personal trading company.
The legislation at s.157 TCGA (personal company) is unclear on the situation although I have to say it does not look like it intends to dissalow relief in our circumstance.
This is impossible if you have, in our case, sold the personal trading company shares. We could set up a new personal trading company but the strict interpretation seams to be that rollover relief is not available. Also, what if he runs the fishery as a sole trader?
Do readers have any experience with making claims in such circumstances? It seams unfair that you cannot make a claim.
Many thanks in anticipation of your replies.
- VAT on children's clothing 88 3
- P11D & tax return 204 9
- when is a bad debt a bad debt 131 3
- Just another average day trying to deal with HMRC 1,499 17
- Freelance/Employee 857 20
- Companies Made Simple - I guess they don't want our business any more 194 3
- Why do I get the feeling ... 175 4
- Member meet up 1 October in London 126 4
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 452 8
- Fees 694 7
- Creation of leases out of freehold 159 2
- Selling Business 301 2
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 2,341 50
- Capital Goods Scheme 131 6
- HMRC incompetency 368 2
- VAT - How hard is it? 2,130 59
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 731 22
- CGT Problem 865 7
- Concurrent users 364 6
- Laptop help needed I bought the wrong operating system 473 9
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 791
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 437
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 385
- Electric Car 324
- S222 Charge 261
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 234
- IP trans to holding company 207
- AIA 206
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 196
- Car used both in a partnership and sole trader business - how to claim capital allowances? 162