I have a client who owns a garden centre personally and he has let this to his own personal trading company.
He intends to sell the garden centre and also his shares in the trading company, at the same time, and would like to purchase a fishery using most of the proceeds. We are considering whether rollover relief under s.152 TCGA 92 is available.
The HMRC manuals and Simon's Taxes make it clear the old and the new asset should be used in the same personal trading company.
The legislation at s.157 TCGA (personal company) is unclear on the situation although I have to say it does not look like it intends to dissalow relief in our circumstance.
This is impossible if you have, in our case, sold the personal trading company shares. We could set up a new personal trading company but the strict interpretation seams to be that rollover relief is not available. Also, what if he runs the fishery as a sole trader?
Do readers have any experience with making claims in such circumstances? It seams unfair that you cannot make a claim.
Many thanks in anticipation of your replies.
- Import Sales Invoices into Sage Instant 102 1
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 163 1
- Shareholder agreement 188 4
- Corporation tax due date confusion 97 2
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,479 21
- Accountants' Error 753 16
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 167 5
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 164 3
- Scoot 204 4
- Zero Rated VAT on New Building 166 2
- Tax code for Companies House fees 229 3
- G'day IPA-IFA 668 11
- VAT customer is registered in France, goods shipped to the UK 118 1
- Regaining my qualification 241 2
- Self-Assessment - NIC Exemption 251 2
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 272 2
- Auto enrolment 210 3
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 201 3
- Company Reorganisation 174 3
- Employee Loan 224 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,460
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 776
- Any views 706
- HMRC Employers Diary 527
- International interest certificate 428
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 397
- Sale of business 360
- NOVA 263
- Advertising services? 262
- IRIS Open Books problem 253