I have a client who owns a garden centre personally and he has let this to his own personal trading company.
He intends to sell the garden centre and also his shares in the trading company, at the same time, and would like to purchase a fishery using most of the proceeds. We are considering whether rollover relief under s.152 TCGA 92 is available.
The HMRC manuals and Simon's Taxes make it clear the old and the new asset should be used in the same personal trading company.
The legislation at s.157 TCGA (personal company) is unclear on the situation although I have to say it does not look like it intends to dissalow relief in our circumstance.
This is impossible if you have, in our case, sold the personal trading company shares. We could set up a new personal trading company but the strict interpretation seams to be that rollover relief is not available. Also, what if he runs the fishery as a sole trader?
Do readers have any experience with making claims in such circumstances? It seams unfair that you cannot make a claim.
Many thanks in anticipation of your replies.
- Is a tax return required - rental income? 356 4
- which software 349 3
- Self employed travel expenses 101 1
- Do I need to pay Capital Gain Tax 341 18
- Audit exempt subsidiary 30 1
- Accounting treatment of service charges incurred prior to occupation 134 1
- Best apps for clients 251 4
- Tax position re this lease? 83 1
- VAT on Training Courses 111 1
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 562 8
- sole trader employing his girlfriend 1,769 16
- HMRC list of tax avoidance schemes 264 2
- Corporation tax - group relief on 75% subsidiary 120 2
- Unpaid company directors and self employment 210 2
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 428 2
- Dissolution of a LLP with ongoing HMRC Inquiry 182 2
- Any point writing to HMRC to appeal against self assessment penalties ? 457 13
- Real names 1,030 32
- VAT charge needed on van sale? 301 7
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 1,787 10
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 575
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 446
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 350
- IFA incorporation 333
- Sorry ignore me 307
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 268
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 260
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 251
- Cancelled 195
- property ownership between husband wife three taxpayers 162