I have a client who owns a garden centre personally and he has let this to his own personal trading company.
He intends to sell the garden centre and also his shares in the trading company, at the same time, and would like to purchase a fishery using most of the proceeds. We are considering whether rollover relief under s.152 TCGA 92 is available.
The HMRC manuals and Simon's Taxes make it clear the old and the new asset should be used in the same personal trading company.
The legislation at s.157 TCGA (personal company) is unclear on the situation although I have to say it does not look like it intends to dissalow relief in our circumstance.
This is impossible if you have, in our case, sold the personal trading company shares. We could set up a new personal trading company but the strict interpretation seams to be that rollover relief is not available. Also, what if he runs the fishery as a sole trader?
Do readers have any experience with making claims in such circumstances? It seams unfair that you cannot make a claim.
Many thanks in anticipation of your replies.
- Over VAT threshold but now ceased trading 145 1
- Auto enrolment 418 8
- Audacity 910 17
- Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings 382 7
- Late registration for MOSS 234 5
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 355 8
- Revaluation of Brands etc 264 5
- Self employed care worker 470 10
- Client right to working papers 309 3
- Seeking advice: Paying Funeral Costs 535 6
- Sole Director Limited Company and Childcare..hat is most tax efficient way to do it? 331 4
- Professional Clearance 1,041 24
- Self Assessment statement credit balances unallocated and getting repayment 266 5
- Illegal share transfer 446 5
- Uk vat on supply of training services to South African Airline? 167 2
- Company Strike off 1,833 30
- Soca or not to soca 2,128 34
- How to deal with an employee's at work car parking cost, paid for by the company 392 3
- Estate admin practicalities 221 1
- Cloud Accounting Software for Practitioners 1,501 23
- NHS finance professionals 532
- VAL231 407
- Mother and son property ownership 373
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 358
- Foreign Pension Contribution 331
- Fines for late submission of the RDR 305
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 285
- vat gross profit percentage margins 270
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 255
- EBT Self Assessment Return 223