I have a client who owns a garden centre personally and he has let this to his own personal trading company.
He intends to sell the garden centre and also his shares in the trading company, at the same time, and would like to purchase a fishery using most of the proceeds. We are considering whether rollover relief under s.152 TCGA 92 is available.
The HMRC manuals and Simon's Taxes make it clear the old and the new asset should be used in the same personal trading company.
The legislation at s.157 TCGA (personal company) is unclear on the situation although I have to say it does not look like it intends to dissalow relief in our circumstance.
This is impossible if you have, in our case, sold the personal trading company shares. We could set up a new personal trading company but the strict interpretation seams to be that rollover relief is not available. Also, what if he runs the fishery as a sole trader?
Do readers have any experience with making claims in such circumstances? It seams unfair that you cannot make a claim.
Many thanks in anticipation of your replies.
- SA302 226 4
- Hosted email exchange 157 5
- South African Government Pension 168 1
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 144 3
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 219 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 281 13
- Prefer to start accepting Online Card Payments 142 1
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 224 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 134 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 265 7
- New Email Extensions 158 1
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 283 2
- Dental practice incorpration 135 1
- Audit rules 168 4
- Go Cardless 291 8
- business entertaining deductibility 161 1
- Self assessment tax arrears 198 2
- R & D 112 3
- Shareholder/Directors termination payments 96 1
- Payroll software with annual pay period? 183 1
- Xtuple 503
- Qtac payroll for bureau 338
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 285
- Industrial & Provident Societies 279
- Mehjoo 224
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 222
- New strategic report 174
- Domain name sale and limited company 165
- CIS schemes 156
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 152