I have a client who owns a garden centre personally and he has let this to his own personal trading company.
He intends to sell the garden centre and also his shares in the trading company, at the same time, and would like to purchase a fishery using most of the proceeds. We are considering whether rollover relief under s.152 TCGA 92 is available.
The HMRC manuals and Simon's Taxes make it clear the old and the new asset should be used in the same personal trading company.
The legislation at s.157 TCGA (personal company) is unclear on the situation although I have to say it does not look like it intends to dissalow relief in our circumstance.
This is impossible if you have, in our case, sold the personal trading company shares. We could set up a new personal trading company but the strict interpretation seams to be that rollover relief is not available. Also, what if he runs the fishery as a sole trader?
Do readers have any experience with making claims in such circumstances? It seams unfair that you cannot make a claim.
Many thanks in anticipation of your replies.
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 204 8
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 645 19
- Tax Return Deadlines 204 4
- Year end 114 2
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 546 21
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 214 7
- How would you account for warranty? 131 4
- LLP - Member leaving 109 5
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 388 22
- Sweet Tooth 157 6
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,029 13
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 167 2
- trading or dormant 106 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 103 1
- tax credits 126 5
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 563 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 264 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 112 1
- Foreign income for self employed 129 1
- Sage help...written off bad debt, done year end now bad payer wants to start to pay 91 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 867
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 515
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 328
- How to format a stock book 306
- Tax efficient holding company structure 243
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 237
- Investment property company accounts template 224
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 218
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 189
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 161