I have a client who owns a garden centre personally and he has let this to his own personal trading company.
He intends to sell the garden centre and also his shares in the trading company, at the same time, and would like to purchase a fishery using most of the proceeds. We are considering whether rollover relief under s.152 TCGA 92 is available.
The HMRC manuals and Simon's Taxes make it clear the old and the new asset should be used in the same personal trading company.
The legislation at s.157 TCGA (personal company) is unclear on the situation although I have to say it does not look like it intends to dissalow relief in our circumstance.
This is impossible if you have, in our case, sold the personal trading company shares. We could set up a new personal trading company but the strict interpretation seams to be that rollover relief is not available. Also, what if he runs the fishery as a sole trader?
Do readers have any experience with making claims in such circumstances? It seams unfair that you cannot make a claim.
Many thanks in anticipation of your replies.
- Tax question about small group and how to set up 197 11
- Accounting Practice acting as an employment agency 173 9
- Incorporation Relief 73 1
- What type of Trust? 133 3
- What is 'an asset' for A/A+B CGT? 121 5
- OBK 563 19
- Instant CPD offer 102 2
- cost of moving out for a few weeks 216 7
- Dividend in specie 100 2
- Investor exit 100 2
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 87 2
- Withholding Tax - Invoicing Ecuador 152 4
- Flat Rate Scheme - Joining date 74 1
- Auto-Enrolment 3,700 175
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,743 26
- Sage error message 147 2
- Partially exempt? 172 5
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 519 5
- Mileage claim 252 9
- Proof of Delivery 254 8
- Skandia using wrong address 464
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 269
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 263
- Employee rewards 255
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 216
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 207
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 207
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 190
- Etax Australian 164
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 151