I have a client who owns a garden centre personally and he has let this to his own personal trading company.
He intends to sell the garden centre and also his shares in the trading company, at the same time, and would like to purchase a fishery using most of the proceeds. We are considering whether rollover relief under s.152 TCGA 92 is available.
The HMRC manuals and Simon's Taxes make it clear the old and the new asset should be used in the same personal trading company.
The legislation at s.157 TCGA (personal company) is unclear on the situation although I have to say it does not look like it intends to dissalow relief in our circumstance.
This is impossible if you have, in our case, sold the personal trading company shares. We could set up a new personal trading company but the strict interpretation seams to be that rollover relief is not available. Also, what if he runs the fishery as a sole trader?
Do readers have any experience with making claims in such circumstances? It seams unfair that you cannot make a claim.
Many thanks in anticipation of your replies.
- Interprise software 79 1
- TAX, VAT and non-UK residence 500 19
- Charity accounting 262 6
- Outsourcing Payroll 89 1
- sage 109 3
- Separate Pay runs for salary and commission 153 4
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 1,053 13
- ATT Exam tips and study help 210 4
- NO SUCH THING AS UNQUALIED ACCOUNTANT 142 1
- FBI2 202 3
- Double entry 172 4
- Companies House 148 3
- Small house in garden 150 1
- THE PUBLIC SECTOR SUCKS 153 2
- Clients 925 18
- can a dormant company make an employer pension contribution? 290 12
- Manually amending PAYE Code Number in HMRC Basic PAYE Tools 152 5
- Accountants not providing all required information 282 4
- Director's personal expenses paid by the Company 312 5
- Sage 50 - How do I find the column headings when I export to CSV 131 5
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 539
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 470
- EPS and CIS deductions 328
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 311
- Construction CIS LLP Company 302
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 296
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 264
- Overdrawn director account 219
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 205
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 200