I have a client who owns a garden centre personally and he has let this to his own personal trading company.
He intends to sell the garden centre and also his shares in the trading company, at the same time, and would like to purchase a fishery using most of the proceeds. We are considering whether rollover relief under s.152 TCGA 92 is available.
The HMRC manuals and Simon's Taxes make it clear the old and the new asset should be used in the same personal trading company.
The legislation at s.157 TCGA (personal company) is unclear on the situation although I have to say it does not look like it intends to dissalow relief in our circumstance.
This is impossible if you have, in our case, sold the personal trading company shares. We could set up a new personal trading company but the strict interpretation seams to be that rollover relief is not available. Also, what if he runs the fishery as a sole trader?
Do readers have any experience with making claims in such circumstances? It seams unfair that you cannot make a claim.
Many thanks in anticipation of your replies.
- First RTI P45 95 1
- Company Takeover Accounting policies 17 1
- EC VAT registration - place of supply 76 2
- How best to own a 4-way property partnership 110 1
- recovery of S455 on informal winding 147 2
- Gross sales to purchases 131 1
- I know ... 1,235 4
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 688 18
- Tax on principal private residence 227 4
- extra 5p per mile for passengers 231 3
- What are the typical deductible expenses? 256 2
- Does unpaid share capital attract s455 liability? 237 4
- Personal pension contributions 253 4
- Claiming tax relief on goodwill 324 4
- RTI Filing 951 20
- Staff entertaining or not? 266 3
- Sole Trader Start Up- Employment Help 400 5
- CGT and PPR and Lettings Relief? 216 4
- IR35 and working for an EU company 134 1
- Shareholder Loan write off 459 21
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 703
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 471
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 309
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 280
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 247
- growth voucher supplier 224
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 189
- VAT on Gaming Machines 171
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 159
- Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Ltd 156