I have a client who owns a garden centre personally and he has let this to his own personal trading company.
He intends to sell the garden centre and also his shares in the trading company, at the same time, and would like to purchase a fishery using most of the proceeds. We are considering whether rollover relief under s.152 TCGA 92 is available.
The HMRC manuals and Simon's Taxes make it clear the old and the new asset should be used in the same personal trading company.
The legislation at s.157 TCGA (personal company) is unclear on the situation although I have to say it does not look like it intends to dissalow relief in our circumstance.
This is impossible if you have, in our case, sold the personal trading company shares. We could set up a new personal trading company but the strict interpretation seams to be that rollover relief is not available. Also, what if he runs the fishery as a sole trader?
Do readers have any experience with making claims in such circumstances? It seams unfair that you cannot make a claim.
Many thanks in anticipation of your replies.
- Donations (to a school!) 26 2
- Starting as sole trader from abroad 50 3
- Beaters and allowable exenses 78 2
- Family loan 217 7
- Repairs after a rental business ends 126 5
- Standard 'email' template system 609 10
- Shutting down a company with creditors 664 8
- Any Scottish members out there? 6,690 248
- FL Memo - Any Good 465 8
- Tax implications for client leaving share incentive plan 25 1
- VAT Romania - how to register 168 3
- 50% Shareholder & Director stealing money from the business 294 8
- Private Residence Election for CGT purposes 227 4
- Looking for subcontract work! 227 5
- Disclosure of pending convertible loan notes? 187 9
- What's your best practice shortcut or 'hack'? 1,651 39
- Consolidation of new group 73 2
- Anti Money Laundering Checks 251 3
- Recycle old study books 450 11
- Being Tax relevant 432 5
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,079
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 351
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 293
- National Insurance 252
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 227
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 227
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 212
- Payments on account coded out?? 211
- Non Resident 170
- Franchise income and costs 158