I have a client who owns a garden centre personally and he has let this to his own personal trading company.
He intends to sell the garden centre and also his shares in the trading company, at the same time, and would like to purchase a fishery using most of the proceeds. We are considering whether rollover relief under s.152 TCGA 92 is available.
The HMRC manuals and Simon's Taxes make it clear the old and the new asset should be used in the same personal trading company.
The legislation at s.157 TCGA (personal company) is unclear on the situation although I have to say it does not look like it intends to dissalow relief in our circumstance.
This is impossible if you have, in our case, sold the personal trading company shares. We could set up a new personal trading company but the strict interpretation seams to be that rollover relief is not available. Also, what if he runs the fishery as a sole trader?
Do readers have any experience with making claims in such circumstances? It seams unfair that you cannot make a claim.
Many thanks in anticipation of your replies.
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 2,123 16
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 291 1
- VAT Option to tax 460 17
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 154 6
- Capital allowance vehicle exchange 189 7
- S162 and Capital Allowances 125 2
- Director leaving in month 1 120 2
- Ex Gratia payments 71 1
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 255 3
- Unaudited accounts and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation 150 4
- Selling assets to yourself ? 186 3
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 180 3
- Director's remuneration accrual 169 4
- IHT - clawback of BPR 46 1
- EIS - connection through employment 93 2
- HMRC Dispensation - How long does it last for? 242 3
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 56 1
- CIS and Close Company 95 2
- Correct tax & VAT treatment of local overnight expenses 227 4
- Secondment expenses 154 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 908
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 640
- Free Tax Legislation? 403
- Director Loan account operation 396
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 333
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 318
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 224
- Paye procedures for CVA 217
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 184
- Pension Fixed Protection 161