I have a client who owns a garden centre personally and he has let this to his own personal trading company.
He intends to sell the garden centre and also his shares in the trading company, at the same time, and would like to purchase a fishery using most of the proceeds. We are considering whether rollover relief under s.152 TCGA 92 is available.
The HMRC manuals and Simon's Taxes make it clear the old and the new asset should be used in the same personal trading company.
The legislation at s.157 TCGA (personal company) is unclear on the situation although I have to say it does not look like it intends to dissalow relief in our circumstance.
This is impossible if you have, in our case, sold the personal trading company shares. We could set up a new personal trading company but the strict interpretation seams to be that rollover relief is not available. Also, what if he runs the fishery as a sole trader?
Do readers have any experience with making claims in such circumstances? It seams unfair that you cannot make a claim.
Many thanks in anticipation of your replies.
- B2B vat in the EU 131 3
- Why should I retain membership? 2,710 47
- Coding Notice 147 4
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 130 3
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 112 2
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 434 7
- Vat 274 7
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,273 13
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 338 7
- Recharge for private use of a company car 185 3
- Funding Circle Servicing Fee 154 2
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,486 18
- CT/CIS offset 140 2
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 186 4
- Trade name 188 3
- Musician - Allowable Travel expenses 140 1
- New business - journal entries 320 20
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 317 18
- VAT on deposits 210 2
- VAT clearance for determining the correct rate to apply 141 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 812
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 710
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 390
- Social investment tax relief 209
- Digita Hosted Software 203
- Call Centre Data Costs 193
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 162
- Travel costs and contractors 156
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 148
- Certificates of tax deposit 140