RTI reconciliation problems
Has anyone else experienced HMRC altering the FPS submission for no reason and without an audit trail? Has anyone got any idea what is happening with the technology inside HMRC - is it up to the task?
Client runs a single monthly payroll of about £3m pm which we always square to the penny. The PAYE is over £1m per month, which we pay using BACS to close the loop.
The client has received a letter from Debt Collection regarding a £35k shortfall in months 1-3. We phone Debt Collection and when they read out the numbers they have on their system, it bears absolutely no relation to the FPS which we have both on paper and electronically for months 2 & 3. Month 4 falls due tomorrow, so when that was checked as a precaution it was also wrong, BUT it resulted in an apparent overpayment of £35k, neatly balancing out the errors in earlier months. (No EPS was due or submitted)
Debt Collection cannot explain where they got the numbers from and have referred it back to the main office advising the figures are "in dispute" and not to proceed with collection. The client is bemused but happy, although it makes it look like we did something wrong about which we are very unhappy.
I'm tempted to start invoicing HMRC for the wasted time and impact on our reputation with the client.
- Signed accounts for bank 610 13
- What route into accountancy would you recommend? 812 12
- Does anyone have an old version of Sage for sale? 86 3
- flat rate scheme 2,296 45
- Business lending another business money (UK) 276 7
- Deferring dividends on paper 123 5
- VAT Query on new build 66 1
- Restriction of trading loss and overlap relief 122 1
- CIC Abbreviated Accounts 135 4
- Family Partnership 220 5
- How to format Co-operative Accounts 61 1
- P11D Car Value 245 6
- NOVA declaration 96 1
- Business valuation advice 702 18
- Auto enrolment: What’s your plan? 1,489 16
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 1,221 23
- Can anybody recommend any software 281 2
- Stand alone practice management software 2,100 26
- 2011 Self Assessment Tax return form 163 1
- dividend date - whose income is it? 380 5