RTI reconciliation problems
Has anyone else experienced HMRC altering the FPS submission for no reason and without an audit trail? Has anyone got any idea what is happening with the technology inside HMRC - is it up to the task?
Client runs a single monthly payroll of about £3m pm which we always square to the penny. The PAYE is over £1m per month, which we pay using BACS to close the loop.
The client has received a letter from Debt Collection regarding a £35k shortfall in months 1-3. We phone Debt Collection and when they read out the numbers they have on their system, it bears absolutely no relation to the FPS which we have both on paper and electronically for months 2 & 3. Month 4 falls due tomorrow, so when that was checked as a precaution it was also wrong, BUT it resulted in an apparent overpayment of £35k, neatly balancing out the errors in earlier months. (No EPS was due or submitted)
Debt Collection cannot explain where they got the numbers from and have referred it back to the main office advising the figures are "in dispute" and not to proceed with collection. The client is bemused but happy, although it makes it look like we did something wrong about which we are very unhappy.
I'm tempted to start invoicing HMRC for the wasted time and impact on our reputation with the client.
- No PAYE Registration but need auto enrolment 393 10
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 705 19
- Marriage Allowance 183 3
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 1,068 12
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 345 4
- S455 and February year ends 236 7
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 1,244 32
- HMRC having technical difficulties 789 18
- Closing down loss-making company 407 5
- S.455 Tax again 268 3
- New Build 325 2
- Taxation of sinking fund contributions 369 4
- Mortgage Reference 775 10
- RTI offline? 172 1
- Right To Manage Company 260 4
- Day allowance working in Qatar 161 1
- Giving shares away 324 6
- Entrepreneurs relief after enhancement 623 5
- Incorporate to utilise dividend allowance next year? 273 5
- Where to post pension on sa100 209 4