RTI submissions and SMP
We have a small business client with half a dozen or so on the payroll. Their earnings are very low as it is a small shop and the directors work there practically every day to keep staffing requirements to a minimum.
During 2013-14 one of the directors has been on maternity leave and claiming SMP. The SMP (with compensation) has meant that until recently, the monthly deductions due to HMRC were negative. We ran the payroll as required and submitted the FPS and EPS to show that no payment was due for the month.
Maternity has now ended and deductions have returned to their previous level however a credit has built up on the clients account that will cover all their deductions this tax year (and a good few months more). Now that we are running the standard payroll, the FPS is indicating payments are due to HMRC but surely this is not the case due to the previous months? Should we be filing an EPS on the grounds that the client will not be paying the figure shown on the FPS? If so, how?
Our software provider indicated we should simply "cover" the deductions due by putting the relevant figure in an EPS submission under "SMP rec". I'm worried this will duplicate the SMP on HMRC's records.
Can anyone direct me at how this should be dealt with?
- Lets hear it for HMRC! 215 2
- Don't HMRC collect CT anymore? 21 1
- Starting new accounting business 308 6
- Leaving the flat rate scheme 144 4
- error on companies house accounts 740 18
- RTI penalties 94 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 516 7
- Bookkeeping software for cafe and VAT 154 2
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 311 5
- US Sales Tax 112 1
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 368 15
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 200 3
- Simplified auto enrolment? 150 1
- Group Relief 131 4
- R&D Credits 105 1
- Is the annual Money Laundering Payment tax allowable 253 7
- VAT Reg.for sole trader with 2 S/E 134 2
- Clients 684 14
- Advice needed on my practice but not my clients 329 4
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 469 10
- QROP pension input amounts 501
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 482
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 445
- EPS and CIS deductions 299
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 291
- Construction CIS LLP Company 285
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 249
- SAGE winforecast 204
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 187
- Overdrawn director account 174