RTI submissions and SMP
We have a small business client with half a dozen or so on the payroll. Their earnings are very low as it is a small shop and the directors work there practically every day to keep staffing requirements to a minimum.
During 2013-14 one of the directors has been on maternity leave and claiming SMP. The SMP (with compensation) has meant that until recently, the monthly deductions due to HMRC were negative. We ran the payroll as required and submitted the FPS and EPS to show that no payment was due for the month.
Maternity has now ended and deductions have returned to their previous level however a credit has built up on the clients account that will cover all their deductions this tax year (and a good few months more). Now that we are running the standard payroll, the FPS is indicating payments are due to HMRC but surely this is not the case due to the previous months? Should we be filing an EPS on the grounds that the client will not be paying the figure shown on the FPS? If so, how?
Our software provider indicated we should simply "cover" the deductions due by putting the relevant figure in an EPS submission under "SMP rec". I'm worried this will duplicate the SMP on HMRC's records.
Can anyone direct me at how this should be dealt with?
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 237 8
- VAT flat rate scheme 154 2
- Client cash balances, on or off-balance sheet for full service brokerage firm 229 4
- Client information from previous accountant 41 1
- Closing down - who should buy whom? 72 2
- How long do legal aid take to pay? 62 1
- Two questions re client meetings and TR Fees 355 5
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 218 2
- Liability account to deal with loans from owner 119 5
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,654 31
- PAYE NI 100 2
- quote for winding down two companies and file accounts 105 1
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 820 14
- How much to charge? 695 10
- break even point 1,004 30
- Trustee in Bankruptcy 171 5
- Accomodation and travel 204 1
- Unpaid Fee's 348 6
- Issue with a software supplier 232 4
- Is there a requirement to clearly state the amount of a bill? 304 5
- Possible Partnership? 511
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 491
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 467
- New Fangled Penalties 307
- Clubs and Taxable Income 259
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 257
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 250
- Loans to other companies 192
- Tasbook email configuration 183
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 168