RTI submissions and SMP
We have a small business client with half a dozen or so on the payroll. Their earnings are very low as it is a small shop and the directors work there practically every day to keep staffing requirements to a minimum.
During 2013-14 one of the directors has been on maternity leave and claiming SMP. The SMP (with compensation) has meant that until recently, the monthly deductions due to HMRC were negative. We ran the payroll as required and submitted the FPS and EPS to show that no payment was due for the month.
Maternity has now ended and deductions have returned to their previous level however a credit has built up on the clients account that will cover all their deductions this tax year (and a good few months more). Now that we are running the standard payroll, the FPS is indicating payments are due to HMRC but surely this is not the case due to the previous months? Should we be filing an EPS on the grounds that the client will not be paying the figure shown on the FPS? If so, how?
Our software provider indicated we should simply "cover" the deductions due by putting the relevant figure in an EPS submission under "SMP rec". I'm worried this will duplicate the SMP on HMRC's records.
Can anyone direct me at how this should be dealt with?
- Two trades one individual - Vat registration? 297 2
- How to claim subsistence for working away from home 174 3
- looking for a practice consultant 145 2
- The stupidity continues 1,431 73
- Withdrawing company car 108 1
- AML report needed? 178 7
- Bank request To verify Accounts 228 6
- RE assets introduced and rent 85 1
- transactions after account have been closed 311 10
- VAT on work on residential premises (empty for 2 years prior) 81 1
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 393 9
- Marketing and email surprises 452 9
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 768 26
- What is IRIS World like? 413 10
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 329 5
- Mlom bollocks 267 4
- VT Transactions Stock Issues 112 2
- Non-Europe based but want to do UK taxes 159 1
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 598 11
- Can I claim Vat on solicitors invoices? 317 6
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 446
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 446
- WIP Software 309
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 295
- No payroll scheme in place 244
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 237
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 216
- Is there anything wrong with this? 212
- Small Part Disposal of Property 202
- Uncommercial property business 190