RTI submissions and SMP
We have a small business client with half a dozen or so on the payroll. Their earnings are very low as it is a small shop and the directors work there practically every day to keep staffing requirements to a minimum.
During 2013-14 one of the directors has been on maternity leave and claiming SMP. The SMP (with compensation) has meant that until recently, the monthly deductions due to HMRC were negative. We ran the payroll as required and submitted the FPS and EPS to show that no payment was due for the month.
Maternity has now ended and deductions have returned to their previous level however a credit has built up on the clients account that will cover all their deductions this tax year (and a good few months more). Now that we are running the standard payroll, the FPS is indicating payments are due to HMRC but surely this is not the case due to the previous months? Should we be filing an EPS on the grounds that the client will not be paying the figure shown on the FPS? If so, how?
Our software provider indicated we should simply "cover" the deductions due by putting the relevant figure in an EPS submission under "SMP rec". I'm worried this will duplicate the SMP on HMRC's records.
Can anyone direct me at how this should be dealt with?
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 182 2
- Gift in kind to charity by company: services 33 1
- Investor exit 162 3
- Partially exempt? 341 10
- Debtor/creditor set-off 77 1
- Redundancy payment added to p45 353 3
- Undeclared rental income 2,114 22
- Fee base v staff ratio 100 1
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 347 4
- Cash basis 370 10
- Statutory sick pay 210 3
- Overseas bank interest 205 5
- Contractor accommodation expenses 144 1
- Kasperskey - home pc 347 4
- Resubmit Corporation tax Return 203 2
- Rental Income Tax Planning 304 4
- Any Scottish members out there? 15,934 589
- Companies house dissolved my company. What do I do now? 1,375 12
- Lorry Drivers 397 5
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 264 2
- Skandia using wrong address 549
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 296
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 289
- Employee rewards 281
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 258
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 245
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 234
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 217
- Etax Australian 179
- LLP in Construction Industry 143