RTI submissions and SMP
We have a small business client with half a dozen or so on the payroll. Their earnings are very low as it is a small shop and the directors work there practically every day to keep staffing requirements to a minimum.
During 2013-14 one of the directors has been on maternity leave and claiming SMP. The SMP (with compensation) has meant that until recently, the monthly deductions due to HMRC were negative. We ran the payroll as required and submitted the FPS and EPS to show that no payment was due for the month.
Maternity has now ended and deductions have returned to their previous level however a credit has built up on the clients account that will cover all their deductions this tax year (and a good few months more). Now that we are running the standard payroll, the FPS is indicating payments are due to HMRC but surely this is not the case due to the previous months? Should we be filing an EPS on the grounds that the client will not be paying the figure shown on the FPS? If so, how?
Our software provider indicated we should simply "cover" the deductions due by putting the relevant figure in an EPS submission under "SMP rec". I'm worried this will duplicate the SMP on HMRC's records.
Can anyone direct me at how this should be dealt with?
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 185 9
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 222 4
- Entrepeneurs relief 411 18
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 388 9
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 485 23
- Potentially dodgy client 180 2
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 429 13
- Do I need to pay my accountant 558 8
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 181 6
- Do HMRC automatically close inactive PAYE schemes? 324 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 636 8
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 139 2
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 532 27
- Should everyone be entitled to a personal allowance 263 5
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 166 3
- Lloyds bank ... 454 6
- Limited company buying a car 255 5
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 500 10
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 306 7
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 319 4
- CTA study material 777
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 484
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 409
- Employment related securities question 312
- AIM Stocks and IHT 288
- Expat pension contributions? 267
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 261
- Trust for Employee 244
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 195
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 150