RTI submissions and SMP
We have a small business client with half a dozen or so on the payroll. Their earnings are very low as it is a small shop and the directors work there practically every day to keep staffing requirements to a minimum.
During 2013-14 one of the directors has been on maternity leave and claiming SMP. The SMP (with compensation) has meant that until recently, the monthly deductions due to HMRC were negative. We ran the payroll as required and submitted the FPS and EPS to show that no payment was due for the month.
Maternity has now ended and deductions have returned to their previous level however a credit has built up on the clients account that will cover all their deductions this tax year (and a good few months more). Now that we are running the standard payroll, the FPS is indicating payments are due to HMRC but surely this is not the case due to the previous months? Should we be filing an EPS on the grounds that the client will not be paying the figure shown on the FPS? If so, how?
Our software provider indicated we should simply "cover" the deductions due by putting the relevant figure in an EPS submission under "SMP rec". I'm worried this will duplicate the SMP on HMRC's records.
Can anyone direct me at how this should be dealt with?
- Change if career direction from industry to practice 21 1
- recompense capital input 207 12
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 743 15
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,152 22
- Spousal transfer and PPR 701 31
- Overseas business trip - accompanied by family 80 1
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 259 8
- Exports/Dispatches - non VAT registered 106 2
- Capital allowances on taxis 234 2
- CT losses carry back 111 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 547 17
- help guys! self employed or still company income? 181 2
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 778 19
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 420 12
- Where has Portia gone? 2,285 68
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 159 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 186 3
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 233 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 994 22
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 221 3
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 800
- RTI - duplicate employee record 566
- Pensions Regulator 455
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 414
- Portia ... Where art thou 337
- Sanzar 317
- How do you do it 304
- Digital marketing focus group 300
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 274
- new investor structure 185