RTI submissions and SMP
We have a small business client with half a dozen or so on the payroll. Their earnings are very low as it is a small shop and the directors work there practically every day to keep staffing requirements to a minimum.
During 2013-14 one of the directors has been on maternity leave and claiming SMP. The SMP (with compensation) has meant that until recently, the monthly deductions due to HMRC were negative. We ran the payroll as required and submitted the FPS and EPS to show that no payment was due for the month.
Maternity has now ended and deductions have returned to their previous level however a credit has built up on the clients account that will cover all their deductions this tax year (and a good few months more). Now that we are running the standard payroll, the FPS is indicating payments are due to HMRC but surely this is not the case due to the previous months? Should we be filing an EPS on the grounds that the client will not be paying the figure shown on the FPS? If so, how?
Our software provider indicated we should simply "cover" the deductions due by putting the relevant figure in an EPS submission under "SMP rec". I'm worried this will duplicate the SMP on HMRC's records.
Can anyone direct me at how this should be dealt with?
- Claiming depreciation on a company vehicle 261 9
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 562 10
- Will this AIA be disallowed when asset transferred to Ltd Co 320 12
- How can customer service quality vary between the basic pension firms? 359 4
- What is the best, tax efficient way to sell 40% shares in your start-up business for approx £1m 344 4
- Direct Debit - no receipts 293 5
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,962 449
- What is the role of an accountant? 1,779 23
- VAT and gap in trading of uncertain length 132 1
- About to buy a block of fees. Any advice? 1,734 10
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 328 6
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,342 63
- Freehold or Investment Property 118 1
- Excel: MATCH does not match two apparently identical cells 862 8
- capital gains on PPR 287 14
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 384 14
- Company expansion 139 1
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 403 6
- Pension Contributions Relief 517 15
- 100% Xero practice 2,510 46
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,321
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 483
- National Insurance 374
- Non Resident 298
- Franchise income and costs 265
- Hands on experience of Digita 218
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 192
- Employer's Helpline 168
- employment capital allowances 165
- CIS paid under reg 9 160