RTI submissions and SMP
We have a small business client with half a dozen or so on the payroll. Their earnings are very low as it is a small shop and the directors work there practically every day to keep staffing requirements to a minimum.
During 2013-14 one of the directors has been on maternity leave and claiming SMP. The SMP (with compensation) has meant that until recently, the monthly deductions due to HMRC were negative. We ran the payroll as required and submitted the FPS and EPS to show that no payment was due for the month.
Maternity has now ended and deductions have returned to their previous level however a credit has built up on the clients account that will cover all their deductions this tax year (and a good few months more). Now that we are running the standard payroll, the FPS is indicating payments are due to HMRC but surely this is not the case due to the previous months? Should we be filing an EPS on the grounds that the client will not be paying the figure shown on the FPS? If so, how?
Our software provider indicated we should simply "cover" the deductions due by putting the relevant figure in an EPS submission under "SMP rec". I'm worried this will duplicate the SMP on HMRC's records.
Can anyone direct me at how this should be dealt with?
- What would you do in this situation? 438 11
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 99 3
- Help Required 239 6
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 199 2
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 362 14
- What's in a name ? 186 4
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 110 3
- ATED Penalties 244 1
- late second payment on account 133 2
- US royalties 56 2
- Project being run jointly 107 2
- Reclaiming overpaid employer NI contributions 158 2
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 125 3
- Sole trader mix up 272 4
- Vat on 'pig slurry' - palatable subject I know! 719 6
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 879 27
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 202 4
- Filing company accounts 130 1
- Accountancy work for Farmers 490 16
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 153 5
- CTA study material 693
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 419
- Employment related securities question 261
- AIM Stocks and IHT 241
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 193
- Trust for Employee 180
- Expat pension contributions? 176
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 149
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 123
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 112