RTI submissions and SMP
We have a small business client with half a dozen or so on the payroll. Their earnings are very low as it is a small shop and the directors work there practically every day to keep staffing requirements to a minimum.
During 2013-14 one of the directors has been on maternity leave and claiming SMP. The SMP (with compensation) has meant that until recently, the monthly deductions due to HMRC were negative. We ran the payroll as required and submitted the FPS and EPS to show that no payment was due for the month.
Maternity has now ended and deductions have returned to their previous level however a credit has built up on the clients account that will cover all their deductions this tax year (and a good few months more). Now that we are running the standard payroll, the FPS is indicating payments are due to HMRC but surely this is not the case due to the previous months? Should we be filing an EPS on the grounds that the client will not be paying the figure shown on the FPS? If so, how?
Our software provider indicated we should simply "cover" the deductions due by putting the relevant figure in an EPS submission under "SMP rec". I'm worried this will duplicate the SMP on HMRC's records.
Can anyone direct me at how this should be dealt with?
- Left UK in 2006 but did not declare rental income since 2009 169 3
- Entrepreeur's relief 19 1
- format cell to exclude decimals 24 1
- A trust shall not want for a trustee 42 1
- Settlement discount 203 5
- IT advisory questions? 304 8
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 2,567 21
- experian and credit agencies 78 1
- Homing sandwiches 568 13
- Limited company to community interest company 54 1
- How can I deal with an unethical accountant? 478 10
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 211 5
- Error in audited accounts 238 3
- CIS software 134 3
- Pratice Management Software 214 3
- Use of home query 201 2
- signature required 600 22
- Vat registration exception 217 3
- CT600 164 3
- Director appointment not valid - any observations? 226 7
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,263
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 837
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 530
- Digita Hosted Software 347
- Credit where credit's due....... 323
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 249
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 206
- TheTax Donut 191
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 169
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 167