RTI submissions and SMP
We have a small business client with half a dozen or so on the payroll. Their earnings are very low as it is a small shop and the directors work there practically every day to keep staffing requirements to a minimum.
During 2013-14 one of the directors has been on maternity leave and claiming SMP. The SMP (with compensation) has meant that until recently, the monthly deductions due to HMRC were negative. We ran the payroll as required and submitted the FPS and EPS to show that no payment was due for the month.
Maternity has now ended and deductions have returned to their previous level however a credit has built up on the clients account that will cover all their deductions this tax year (and a good few months more). Now that we are running the standard payroll, the FPS is indicating payments are due to HMRC but surely this is not the case due to the previous months? Should we be filing an EPS on the grounds that the client will not be paying the figure shown on the FPS? If so, how?
Our software provider indicated we should simply "cover" the deductions due by putting the relevant figure in an EPS submission under "SMP rec". I'm worried this will duplicate the SMP on HMRC's records.
Can anyone direct me at how this should be dealt with?
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 31 1
- is this fraud? 531 11
- first year company tax return for a limited company 1,209 27
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 752 14
- Not a good start no broadband 323 7
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 379 8
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 600 10
- Property initial recognition 125 2
- P11D Dispensation 200 3
- Question regarding gym training 225 3
- CPD 81 1
- Dissolving company to avoid CCJ 404 7
- new software IXBRL and Accounts production? 133 1
- Mortgage to buy property in limited company 169 4
- Directors Subsistence 378 3
- Gong round in Circles with CT600 204 2
- How long are 64-8s taking these days? 426 9
- R&D tax credit claim 169 4
- New company - form a group? 108 1
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 138 3
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 566
- Cancelled 339
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 322
- Cancelled 278
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 241
- Probiz 223
- CIS Deductions 185
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 170
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 167
- Car leasing scheme 158