RTI submissions and SMP
We have a small business client with half a dozen or so on the payroll. Their earnings are very low as it is a small shop and the directors work there practically every day to keep staffing requirements to a minimum.
During 2013-14 one of the directors has been on maternity leave and claiming SMP. The SMP (with compensation) has meant that until recently, the monthly deductions due to HMRC were negative. We ran the payroll as required and submitted the FPS and EPS to show that no payment was due for the month.
Maternity has now ended and deductions have returned to their previous level however a credit has built up on the clients account that will cover all their deductions this tax year (and a good few months more). Now that we are running the standard payroll, the FPS is indicating payments are due to HMRC but surely this is not the case due to the previous months? Should we be filing an EPS on the grounds that the client will not be paying the figure shown on the FPS? If so, how?
Our software provider indicated we should simply "cover" the deductions due by putting the relevant figure in an EPS submission under "SMP rec". I'm worried this will duplicate the SMP on HMRC's records.
Can anyone direct me at how this should be dealt with?
- Lack of VAT Receipt 92 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 305 6
- Benefit in Kind 276 6
- Help with CGT please 55 2
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 313 17
- Will I need to resign? 924 11
- Cocaine anyone? 656 11
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 251 4
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 139 4
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 186 3
- Allocation of Receipt from DWP 176 2
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 840 11
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 543 19
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 708 13
- Personal pension 444 9
- Business rates consultancy 269 4
- Wrong tax code 180 6
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 104 2
- Am I getting Soft?? 321 10
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,065 31
- Hive up 514
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 475
- corporate hierarchy 453
- Advice - 297
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 242
- WWOOFers 238
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 220
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 196
- The booking.com con 180
- UK State pension paid in NZ 168