RTI submissions and SMP
We have a small business client with half a dozen or so on the payroll. Their earnings are very low as it is a small shop and the directors work there practically every day to keep staffing requirements to a minimum.
During 2013-14 one of the directors has been on maternity leave and claiming SMP. The SMP (with compensation) has meant that until recently, the monthly deductions due to HMRC were negative. We ran the payroll as required and submitted the FPS and EPS to show that no payment was due for the month.
Maternity has now ended and deductions have returned to their previous level however a credit has built up on the clients account that will cover all their deductions this tax year (and a good few months more). Now that we are running the standard payroll, the FPS is indicating payments are due to HMRC but surely this is not the case due to the previous months? Should we be filing an EPS on the grounds that the client will not be paying the figure shown on the FPS? If so, how?
Our software provider indicated we should simply "cover" the deductions due by putting the relevant figure in an EPS submission under "SMP rec". I'm worried this will duplicate the SMP on HMRC's records.
Can anyone direct me at how this should be dealt with?
- Expenses paid by director (the owner) 236 4
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 515 18
- Breaking Up A Property Company 264 2
- Website development costs - tax and accounting treatment 218 3
- Profit and Loss Account Adjustments 144 6
- *Urgent pls advise * filing dormant accounts to Companies House 426 17
- G'day IPA-IFA 511 8
- Builder Gifted Deposit and capital gains 472 16
- Declaration of Trust 568 20
- Inventory valuation of precious metals? 60 1
- Who can wind up a Promissory Trust? 88 2
- MAAT signing off ACCA PER? 320 2
- Amazon - digital book sales 193 1
- tax insider 329 4
- Auto-Enrolment 224 3
- Annual subs 183 2
- Statement of Earnings, no P45 174 2
- Mileage and Self Assessment 181 1
- ICAEW professional subscription and tax implications 256 4
- CGT Relief on Share Sale in LTD company 345 5
- Skandia using wrong address 1,415
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 728
- Any views 662
- HMRC Employers Diary 494
- International interest certificate 410
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 370
- Sale of business 320
- NOVA 227
- IR35 & Managed Service Companies 226
- Advertising services? 220