RTI submissions and SMP
We have a small business client with half a dozen or so on the payroll. Their earnings are very low as it is a small shop and the directors work there practically every day to keep staffing requirements to a minimum.
During 2013-14 one of the directors has been on maternity leave and claiming SMP. The SMP (with compensation) has meant that until recently, the monthly deductions due to HMRC were negative. We ran the payroll as required and submitted the FPS and EPS to show that no payment was due for the month.
Maternity has now ended and deductions have returned to their previous level however a credit has built up on the clients account that will cover all their deductions this tax year (and a good few months more). Now that we are running the standard payroll, the FPS is indicating payments are due to HMRC but surely this is not the case due to the previous months? Should we be filing an EPS on the grounds that the client will not be paying the figure shown on the FPS? If so, how?
Our software provider indicated we should simply "cover" the deductions due by putting the relevant figure in an EPS submission under "SMP rec". I'm worried this will duplicate the SMP on HMRC's records.
Can anyone direct me at how this should be dealt with?
- how do I find out if a building has VAT Option to Tax in place? 273 7
- Share capital netted off against lossess 216 5
- Unhappy client over fees 453 13
- Letter saying client is IR35 compliant 922 11
- Two sole traders working at same shop 208 2
- IR35 mechanics 108 1
- CGT - contract conditional? 197 3
- Eligibility to FRS VAT 122 1
- Foreign Dividends: UK tax credit 182 3
- Auto enrolment pension scheme set up 537 11
- NI PAYE working out from net amount 417 18
- Company Van - Classic vehicle 176 3
- VAT dergistration confirmation? 317 5
- Auto Enrolment Through Nest 431 5
- RTI late filing - what is best to do now? 308 3
- PPR - which reliefs are available 327 5
- IHT nil band transfer 316 7
- Capitalising Development and Research and Development Tax Credits 134 1
- SA1 moan 257 1
- Seafarers Earnings Deduction 268 3
- NHS finance professionals 770
- Foreign Pension Contribution 455
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 448
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 388
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 352
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 338
- Incorporating doctors 323
- IFA income recognition & reporting 273
- Form P55 in year tax repayment claim for non-resident 249
- Are subsistence claims firmly attached to the 24 month rule ? 234