RTI submissions and SMP
We have a small business client with half a dozen or so on the payroll. Their earnings are very low as it is a small shop and the directors work there practically every day to keep staffing requirements to a minimum.
During 2013-14 one of the directors has been on maternity leave and claiming SMP. The SMP (with compensation) has meant that until recently, the monthly deductions due to HMRC were negative. We ran the payroll as required and submitted the FPS and EPS to show that no payment was due for the month.
Maternity has now ended and deductions have returned to their previous level however a credit has built up on the clients account that will cover all their deductions this tax year (and a good few months more). Now that we are running the standard payroll, the FPS is indicating payments are due to HMRC but surely this is not the case due to the previous months? Should we be filing an EPS on the grounds that the client will not be paying the figure shown on the FPS? If so, how?
Our software provider indicated we should simply "cover" the deductions due by putting the relevant figure in an EPS submission under "SMP rec". I'm worried this will duplicate the SMP on HMRC's records.
Can anyone direct me at how this should be dealt with?
- First director's salary payment 3 months after ltd company formation 477 7
- Identify cost savings 128 3
- Companies Made Simple - I guess they don't want our business any more 340 5
- Seeking advice: Director's claim to money 75 2
- Just another average day trying to deal with HMRC 1,598 19
- Member meet up 1 October in London 265 7
- Laptop help needed I bought the wrong operating system 534 11
- Only pref shares. Does it matter 166 5
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 816 1
- Fees 762 8
- P11D & tax return 265 10
- Freelance/Employee 912 22
- VAT on children's clothing 160 4
- when is a bad debt a bad debt 242 6
- Why do I get the feeling ... 450 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 2,445 50
- Concurrent users 461 7
- SEIS: is it ok for co to spend money before the shares are issued? 100 1
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 475 8
- Creation of leases out of freehold 167 2
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 437
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 389
- Electric Car 328
- S222 Charge 266
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 236
- AIA 212
- IP trans to holding company 209
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 200
- Car used both in a partnership and sole trader business - how to claim capital allowances? 165
- Career advice needed regarding accouting systems analysis 157