Rugby Club Missing Money
Hi AW Members
I hope somebody with some experience in this field can help me.
My local rugby club recently had a bar manager / secretary that has been on fiddle for around 14 months.The accounts have will be published showing around £8000 of missing cash. There has also been speculation that people have seen him wheeling barrels of beer to another local pub. He is up for a meeting with the committee tonight to defend his self. The committee don't have a clue what to actually ask him as none are from an accountancy background r have much common sense! As I have just started AAT level 4 and work in a management accounts position, I have been asked to assist them in the meeting. Although I have managed to draw a list of suitable interrogative questions, I am still struggling a bit as I am way out of my comfort zone.
If I get several invoices for different beers, shorts etc and work out the gross profit on each and work out an average gross profit, for example 45%. The current gross profit is 34%. How would I work out the value of missing stock? Would it 45% - 34% = 11%. Then 11% x purchases for year = estimated value of missing stock?
As I've been given the accounts only an hour ago and the meeting is at 7pm, I'm getting my self into a bit of a muddle!
Any help would be very much appreciated, and also if you can point me into the direction of questions that I can ask to relate to the final accounts (I will use the questions and source the data to be more exact) this would also be greatly appreciated.
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 946 29
- You know its over 329 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 484 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 215 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 168 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 155 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 238 3
- Cocaine anyone? 504 8
- Late Registration for VAT 483 13
- EIS/SEIS 138 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 273 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 411 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 419 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 713 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 551 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 586 4
- Personal pension 399 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 221 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,215 11
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 170 3
- Hive up 490
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 456
- corporate hierarchy 436
- Advice - 271
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 224
- WWOOFers 217
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 206
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 199
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 176
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 173