I act for two clients who are 50/50 shareholders in a limited company and also 50/50 partners in another, separate partnership. The two businesses operate out of the same premises and share overheads and joint expenses etc. on an agreed basis.
The clients in their capacity as directors of the company have overdrawn DLA balances which have properly been declared to HMRC. However, the company also has a debtor balance due from the partnership. There has historically been an inter-business balance between the company and the partnership caused by recharging of proportions of expenses and/or simply borrowing between the two business from time to time to fund cash flow requirements. Sometimes the balance has been credit, sometimes debit.
This has not been a problem in the past. However, in 2010/11 for some reason the inspector has raised a query, claiming that the inter-business balance falls within S.455 and should therefore have been declared on the supplementary pages on the CT600.
Now, any balance arising on this account has always been for business purposes. It has never represented anything used personally by the partners (that's what the DLA is for). It seems to me that the Inspector wants to treat the inter-business balance simply as an extension of the DLA, and I'm sure that S.455 ever intended this.
Does anybody out there have previous experience of this situation? Observations as ever gratefully received.
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 828 19
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 589 16
- Rental Property on Self Assessment 129 2
- Partnership returns software 115 2
- Tasks for new trainees 179 4
- Capital Gains on Inherited Property 288 10
- VAT on garage rent 158 9
- Error or mistake claims (as was) 102 1
- Partnership profit share - tax efficient for husband and wife 172 3
- Property scam victim 330 5
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 257 6
- How to use importing procedure for Transfers between the bank accounts 68 1
- Have i messed up? 763 11
- Are HMRC getting it right? 431 8
- 10 year debentures and CT 64 1
- Is there a legal obligation for the Inspector to hand over minutes of a meeting 128 2
- Obvious Question but if NOT registered for VAT EU refunds as under minimum amounts, what does an expense get recorded as for UK VAT return? 85 1
- COMPANY DIRECTOR 94 1
- Offshore insurance bonds 112 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,664 46
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,102
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 579
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 387
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 292
- Charge out rates in London? 246
- Interest on Loan to a Company 191
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 176
- Agent fees to sell business 166
- Alphabet shares 164
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 157