I act for two clients who are 50/50 shareholders in a limited company and also 50/50 partners in another, separate partnership. The two businesses operate out of the same premises and share overheads and joint expenses etc. on an agreed basis.
The clients in their capacity as directors of the company have overdrawn DLA balances which have properly been declared to HMRC. However, the company also has a debtor balance due from the partnership. There has historically been an inter-business balance between the company and the partnership caused by recharging of proportions of expenses and/or simply borrowing between the two business from time to time to fund cash flow requirements. Sometimes the balance has been credit, sometimes debit.
This has not been a problem in the past. However, in 2010/11 for some reason the inspector has raised a query, claiming that the inter-business balance falls within S.455 and should therefore have been declared on the supplementary pages on the CT600.
Now, any balance arising on this account has always been for business purposes. It has never represented anything used personally by the partners (that's what the DLA is for). It seems to me that the Inspector wants to treat the inter-business balance simply as an extension of the DLA, and I'm sure that S.455 ever intended this.
Does anybody out there have previous experience of this situation? Observations as ever gratefully received.
- Do I charge VAT for event I held in Paris 57 1
- Can a director pay for their childs tuition through the company 779 16
- Growing pains 413 8
- Paying Personal Allowance in one go 405 7
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 183 5
- Can't understand my own electricity / gas bills 414 15
- Residents Association Corp Tax 242 10
- Your fondest calculator memories 720 28
- What is the best practice for running a roofing company in Sage 131 2
- new capital structure ltd with investors 363 7
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 438 3
- Free Agent - Payments on Account 553 14
- Joint filing delays 129 3
- Vat threshold issues 235 4
- private to company car? 256 5
- Buy to let allowable interest 218 3
- Anyone use Xero for estate agent clients? 298 5
- How to change credit note allocation in Sage 147 4
- Partner with an IVA 216 5
- What can my client claim r & d on? 349 6
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 459
- CTA study material 422
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 306
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 292
- Pre incorp expenses 284
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 248
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 235
- Slight twist on employment related securities 213
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 193
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 181