I act for two clients who are 50/50 shareholders in a limited company and also 50/50 partners in another, separate partnership. The two businesses operate out of the same premises and share overheads and joint expenses etc. on an agreed basis.
The clients in their capacity as directors of the company have overdrawn DLA balances which have properly been declared to HMRC. However, the company also has a debtor balance due from the partnership. There has historically been an inter-business balance between the company and the partnership caused by recharging of proportions of expenses and/or simply borrowing between the two business from time to time to fund cash flow requirements. Sometimes the balance has been credit, sometimes debit.
This has not been a problem in the past. However, in 2010/11 for some reason the inspector has raised a query, claiming that the inter-business balance falls within S.455 and should therefore have been declared on the supplementary pages on the CT600.
Now, any balance arising on this account has always been for business purposes. It has never represented anything used personally by the partners (that's what the DLA is for). It seems to me that the Inspector wants to treat the inter-business balance simply as an extension of the DLA, and I'm sure that S.455 ever intended this.
Does anybody out there have previous experience of this situation? Observations as ever gratefully received.
- Outsourcing iXBRL Tagging 254 14
- VAT on stock sold at a loss 105 5
- Commercial property rental on disincorporation 31 1
- VAT registration for self employed dentist??? 234 8
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,161 17
- Any Scottish members out there? 8,978 337
- property rental income split 212 2
- Payments on account coded out?? 277 1
- Late filing penalty for personal tax return. Reasonable excuse 301 9
- Mortgage deposit Gift 382 17
- What should I do for 'free' 557 6
- Declined for business bank account 480 7
- Negativer Payslip Request 231 3
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 672 14
- Family loan 1,178 16
- Getting VAT right for a sole trader pilot 144 5
- FIFA game and making money 1,239 12
- Use of home for storage 262 5
- App recommended by HMRC for record keeping 1,224 11
- Anyone out there with charity accounts experience 241 10
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,174
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 396
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 309
- National Insurance 303
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 256
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 230
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 226
- Non Resident 211
- Franchise income and costs 198
- Hands on experience of Digita 138