I act for two clients who are 50/50 shareholders in a limited company and also 50/50 partners in another, separate partnership. The two businesses operate out of the same premises and share overheads and joint expenses etc. on an agreed basis.
The clients in their capacity as directors of the company have overdrawn DLA balances which have properly been declared to HMRC. However, the company also has a debtor balance due from the partnership. There has historically been an inter-business balance between the company and the partnership caused by recharging of proportions of expenses and/or simply borrowing between the two business from time to time to fund cash flow requirements. Sometimes the balance has been credit, sometimes debit.
This has not been a problem in the past. However, in 2010/11 for some reason the inspector has raised a query, claiming that the inter-business balance falls within S.455 and should therefore have been declared on the supplementary pages on the CT600.
Now, any balance arising on this account has always been for business purposes. It has never represented anything used personally by the partners (that's what the DLA is for). It seems to me that the Inspector wants to treat the inter-business balance simply as an extension of the DLA, and I'm sure that S.455 ever intended this.
Does anybody out there have previous experience of this situation? Observations as ever gratefully received.
- Consolidating the P+L for an overseas subsidiary 53 3
- Real names 657 23
- Capital Gains Tax 198 6
- Fixed Assets 28 1
- Well well well 421 6
- VAT charge needed on van sale? 157 3
- Dividend payment date 1,954 35
- Clarification over - VAT Box 8 - Flat rate scheme 196 6
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 178 6
- Preference shares redeemed at less than par 172 11
- Errors in prior year accounts 208 5
- Director salary from company limited by guarantee 211 7
- Any point writing to HMRC to appeal against self assessment penalties ? 229 9
- PDF to QIF (or other)? 500 13
- Company Secretarial Software 1,315 28
- LLP and LTD Co 107 3
- Dissolution of a LLP with ongoing HMRC Inquiry 115 1
- Taxfiler - is it really good? 305 9
- CGT on Sale of shop 101 1
- Disincorporation before selling goodwill in the business 224 4
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 571
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 439
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 341
- IFA incorporation 321
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 308
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 302
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 258
- Sorry ignore me 248
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 246
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 242