I act for two clients who are 50/50 shareholders in a limited company and also 50/50 partners in another, separate partnership. The two businesses operate out of the same premises and share overheads and joint expenses etc. on an agreed basis.
The clients in their capacity as directors of the company have overdrawn DLA balances which have properly been declared to HMRC. However, the company also has a debtor balance due from the partnership. There has historically been an inter-business balance between the company and the partnership caused by recharging of proportions of expenses and/or simply borrowing between the two business from time to time to fund cash flow requirements. Sometimes the balance has been credit, sometimes debit.
This has not been a problem in the past. However, in 2010/11 for some reason the inspector has raised a query, claiming that the inter-business balance falls within S.455 and should therefore have been declared on the supplementary pages on the CT600.
Now, any balance arising on this account has always been for business purposes. It has never represented anything used personally by the partners (that's what the DLA is for). It seems to me that the Inspector wants to treat the inter-business balance simply as an extension of the DLA, and I'm sure that S.455 ever intended this.
Does anybody out there have previous experience of this situation? Observations as ever gratefully received.
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 746 28
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 204 4
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,886 29
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 412 24
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 229 5
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,861 64
- Working out a daily rate 96 5
- Auto enrolment 1,207 13
- Payroll dates 99 5
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 274 8
- Withholding of tax 79 1
- missing 925 20
- Self-employed b/f losses 146 3
- Santander Scrip Dividend Scheme 87 1
- are receipts needed? 138 4
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 506 16
- sole trader - operating under cis 191 4
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 163 7
- Partnership merger 84 1
- Know it alls (who don't) 860 19
- Skandia using wrong address 1,570
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 868
- International interest certificate 478
- NOVA 335
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 246
- Management expenses for investment company 228
- Bonus Bonds 226
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 216
- Help with tax codes on Sage 169
- Capital reduction 160