I act for two clients who are 50/50 shareholders in a limited company and also 50/50 partners in another, separate partnership. The two businesses operate out of the same premises and share overheads and joint expenses etc. on an agreed basis.
The clients in their capacity as directors of the company have overdrawn DLA balances which have properly been declared to HMRC. However, the company also has a debtor balance due from the partnership. There has historically been an inter-business balance between the company and the partnership caused by recharging of proportions of expenses and/or simply borrowing between the two business from time to time to fund cash flow requirements. Sometimes the balance has been credit, sometimes debit.
This has not been a problem in the past. However, in 2010/11 for some reason the inspector has raised a query, claiming that the inter-business balance falls within S.455 and should therefore have been declared on the supplementary pages on the CT600.
Now, any balance arising on this account has always been for business purposes. It has never represented anything used personally by the partners (that's what the DLA is for). It seems to me that the Inspector wants to treat the inter-business balance simply as an extension of the DLA, and I'm sure that S.455 ever intended this.
Does anybody out there have previous experience of this situation? Observations as ever gratefully received.
- inflation rate year on year 40 2
- Do I need a smartphone? 1,649 55
- Entrepreneurs relief sale of business to two different buyers?? 72 2
- Yorkshire Day 492 33
- Deleted question? 602 15
- SMP reclaimable by employer 246 6
- Self Assessment Tax Return Required ???? 248 8
- Company no longer showing on Companies House web site 323 8
- EU VAT Registration Thresholds 138 6
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 336 15
- E-Magazines and pdfs 138 3
- Late annual return 194 2
- Flat rate VAT 359 8
- corporation tax 473 5
- Credit card receipts vs VAT receipts 2,131 29
- Dividend dates 684 13
- Company Limited Liability vs Public Liability Insruance 131 2
- Companies House change of shareholding 586 16
- Agent help line - long queues? 194 3
- Company Director In Prison 635 13
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 568
- Cancelled 454
- Cancelled 379
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 370
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 350
- Probiz 349
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 252
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 229
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 222
- More spam 180