I act for two clients who are 50/50 shareholders in a limited company and also 50/50 partners in another, separate partnership. The two businesses operate out of the same premises and share overheads and joint expenses etc. on an agreed basis.
The clients in their capacity as directors of the company have overdrawn DLA balances which have properly been declared to HMRC. However, the company also has a debtor balance due from the partnership. There has historically been an inter-business balance between the company and the partnership caused by recharging of proportions of expenses and/or simply borrowing between the two business from time to time to fund cash flow requirements. Sometimes the balance has been credit, sometimes debit.
This has not been a problem in the past. However, in 2010/11 for some reason the inspector has raised a query, claiming that the inter-business balance falls within S.455 and should therefore have been declared on the supplementary pages on the CT600.
Now, any balance arising on this account has always been for business purposes. It has never represented anything used personally by the partners (that's what the DLA is for). It seems to me that the Inspector wants to treat the inter-business balance simply as an extension of the DLA, and I'm sure that S.455 ever intended this.
Does anybody out there have previous experience of this situation? Observations as ever gratefully received.
- Builing a gin palace but wants to rent out for a year first 153 1
- Over VAT threshold but now ceased trading 164 1
- Auto enrolment 424 8
- Audacity 922 17
- Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings 382 7
- Late registration for MOSS 239 5
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 369 8
- Revaluation of Brands etc 265 5
- Self employed care worker 486 10
- Client right to working papers 327 3
- Seeking advice: Paying Funeral Costs 538 6
- Sole Director Limited Company and Childcare..hat is most tax efficient way to do it? 345 4
- Professional Clearance 1,048 24
- Self Assessment statement credit balances unallocated and getting repayment 274 5
- Illegal share transfer 448 5
- Uk vat on supply of training services to South African Airline? 170 2
- Company Strike off 1,842 30
- Soca or not to soca 2,147 34
- How to deal with an employee's at work car parking cost, paid for by the company 393 3
- Estate admin practicalities 225 1
- NHS finance professionals 533
- VAL231 408
- Mother and son property ownership 377
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 359
- Foreign Pension Contribution 331
- Fines for late submission of the RDR 306
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 285
- vat gross profit percentage margins 273
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 257
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 225