I act for two clients who are 50/50 shareholders in a limited company and also 50/50 partners in another, separate partnership. The two businesses operate out of the same premises and share overheads and joint expenses etc. on an agreed basis.
The clients in their capacity as directors of the company have overdrawn DLA balances which have properly been declared to HMRC. However, the company also has a debtor balance due from the partnership. There has historically been an inter-business balance between the company and the partnership caused by recharging of proportions of expenses and/or simply borrowing between the two business from time to time to fund cash flow requirements. Sometimes the balance has been credit, sometimes debit.
This has not been a problem in the past. However, in 2010/11 for some reason the inspector has raised a query, claiming that the inter-business balance falls within S.455 and should therefore have been declared on the supplementary pages on the CT600.
Now, any balance arising on this account has always been for business purposes. It has never represented anything used personally by the partners (that's what the DLA is for). It seems to me that the Inspector wants to treat the inter-business balance simply as an extension of the DLA, and I'm sure that S.455 ever intended this.
Does anybody out there have previous experience of this situation? Observations as ever gratefully received.
- When to provide S419 tax in the accounts 83 4
- Sole Trader change of accounting date 106 1
- How much does the company pay 771 33
- Proof of identification 58 1
- Which tax returns can I submit? 86 1
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 288 5
- Using home as clients registered address 188 4
- Childcare vouchers 362 8
- Is this a qualifying loan for interest deductions? 75 2
- New Enterprise Allowance 74 1
- VAT Notice 700/64 - claiming VAT on motor repairs 60 1
- two business from one premises 180 3
- VAT transfer on going concern on incorporation 47 1
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 240 4
- HMRC property income enquiry 415 9
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 351 4
- Merry Christmas 129 2
- THEATRE SHOW - HIRE - VAT PAYABLE ON TICKET SALES 89 3
- New Incorporations - ERTNAC hoax - anyone else seen this? 1,103 12
- Anyone else still working this week? 424 13
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 507
- corporate hierarchy 470
- Advice - 325
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 275
- WWOOFers 265
- The booking.com con 248
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 245
- Cocaine anyone? 232
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 221
- UK State pension paid in NZ 177