I act for two clients who are 50/50 shareholders in a limited company and also 50/50 partners in another, separate partnership. The two businesses operate out of the same premises and share overheads and joint expenses etc. on an agreed basis.
The clients in their capacity as directors of the company have overdrawn DLA balances which have properly been declared to HMRC. However, the company also has a debtor balance due from the partnership. There has historically been an inter-business balance between the company and the partnership caused by recharging of proportions of expenses and/or simply borrowing between the two business from time to time to fund cash flow requirements. Sometimes the balance has been credit, sometimes debit.
This has not been a problem in the past. However, in 2010/11 for some reason the inspector has raised a query, claiming that the inter-business balance falls within S.455 and should therefore have been declared on the supplementary pages on the CT600.
Now, any balance arising on this account has always been for business purposes. It has never represented anything used personally by the partners (that's what the DLA is for). It seems to me that the Inspector wants to treat the inter-business balance simply as an extension of the DLA, and I'm sure that S.455 ever intended this.
Does anybody out there have previous experience of this situation? Observations as ever gratefully received.
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,248 23
- Legal Fees Allowable in dispute 27 1
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 568 10
- Agent online self service 599 14
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 344 7
- Accountant won't release working papers 3,008 54
- Are Property Design Exhibitions Claimable 104 2
- Not renewing AAT 754 9
- What's the best software for this? 437 4
- Email encryption 1,424 15
- Next Move 783 21
- Zoho Books 194 1
- Self-assessment statistics 2,512 59
- Transmission of ISA 174 2
- Bench-marking software, any ideas? 246 2
- CGT of shares gifted 397 6
- New dividend taxation 592 3
- Co purchase printed materials from EU - VAT 200 1
- Company car v company allowance 341 1
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 454 9
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 675
- Property letting & CAs 408
- 2015 tax year end 401
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 399
- FCA regulated company in a small group 350
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 324
- Costly Accounting Software contract 246
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 244
- DTA tie-breaker issue 222
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 211