I act for two clients who are 50/50 shareholders in a limited company and also 50/50 partners in another, separate partnership. The two businesses operate out of the same premises and share overheads and joint expenses etc. on an agreed basis.
The clients in their capacity as directors of the company have overdrawn DLA balances which have properly been declared to HMRC. However, the company also has a debtor balance due from the partnership. There has historically been an inter-business balance between the company and the partnership caused by recharging of proportions of expenses and/or simply borrowing between the two business from time to time to fund cash flow requirements. Sometimes the balance has been credit, sometimes debit.
This has not been a problem in the past. However, in 2010/11 for some reason the inspector has raised a query, claiming that the inter-business balance falls within S.455 and should therefore have been declared on the supplementary pages on the CT600.
Now, any balance arising on this account has always been for business purposes. It has never represented anything used personally by the partners (that's what the DLA is for). It seems to me that the Inspector wants to treat the inter-business balance simply as an extension of the DLA, and I'm sure that S.455 ever intended this.
Does anybody out there have previous experience of this situation? Observations as ever gratefully received.
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 985 48
- Tier One Tribunal 246 12
- Money Laundering and handover 104 1
- Does a UK LTD pay Corporation Tax before sending dividend to Holding Company? 151 3
- New starter error how to correct 114 2
- Tax implication giving money to friend (not family) 255 4
- Summer house for business only 232 2
- Taxi Plate & Car 200 5
- Dividends out of profit where P&L bfwd is in deficit 179 4
- SA316s 253 4
- Director with lots of personal expenses 131 2
- LEL and PAYE registration 138 2
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 605 13
- Filing amended tax return 146 1
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 852 26
- Prompt Payment Discount (PPD) Vat 2015 - CREDIT PRIOR INVOICE 127 1
- Pooled cars legislation unfairly punitive 145 2
- New starter not showing on RTI FPS submission (MoneySoft payroll) 268 5
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 182 2
- Another transfer of property 170 2
- Construction CIS LLP Company 614
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 601
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 390
- Pensions Regulator 360
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 298
- Using the correct forms 272
- RTI - duplicate employee record 272
- SA penalty proposals 261
- Accelerated payment notices 241
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 240