I act for two clients who are 50/50 shareholders in a limited company and also 50/50 partners in another, separate partnership. The two businesses operate out of the same premises and share overheads and joint expenses etc. on an agreed basis.
The clients in their capacity as directors of the company have overdrawn DLA balances which have properly been declared to HMRC. However, the company also has a debtor balance due from the partnership. There has historically been an inter-business balance between the company and the partnership caused by recharging of proportions of expenses and/or simply borrowing between the two business from time to time to fund cash flow requirements. Sometimes the balance has been credit, sometimes debit.
This has not been a problem in the past. However, in 2010/11 for some reason the inspector has raised a query, claiming that the inter-business balance falls within S.455 and should therefore have been declared on the supplementary pages on the CT600.
Now, any balance arising on this account has always been for business purposes. It has never represented anything used personally by the partners (that's what the DLA is for). It seems to me that the Inspector wants to treat the inter-business balance simply as an extension of the DLA, and I'm sure that S.455 ever intended this.
Does anybody out there have previous experience of this situation? Observations as ever gratefully received.
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 228 4
- get an accountant not an unqulified accounting clerk 138 8
- What rent was paid for income tax purposes? 78 1
- Who's going to the next Tick & Bash? 72 2
- A round of applause please for winner of BITCH OF THE 533 13
- CGT history of shares 194 4
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 152 5
- Client Entertainment to get new business or referral as opposed to say thanks 217 3
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 345 6
- CGT on sale of let property 137 2
- how do i get UTR 165 3
- Input VAT suffered in EU 100 2
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 250 3
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 157 1
- Your comments please 330 6
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 205 9
- CT600 deadline & shortened year end 142 2
- EIS 204 4
- Income Splitting - form 17 and DoT 144 1
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 122 2
- Moving away from CCH software 972
- QROP pension input amounts 456
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 402
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 387
- fraud 309
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 288
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 249
- Construction CIS LLP Company 234
- EPS and CIS deductions 228
- Out of time or not? 215