I act for two clients who are 50/50 shareholders in a limited company and also 50/50 partners in another, separate partnership. The two businesses operate out of the same premises and share overheads and joint expenses etc. on an agreed basis.
The clients in their capacity as directors of the company have overdrawn DLA balances which have properly been declared to HMRC. However, the company also has a debtor balance due from the partnership. There has historically been an inter-business balance between the company and the partnership caused by recharging of proportions of expenses and/or simply borrowing between the two business from time to time to fund cash flow requirements. Sometimes the balance has been credit, sometimes debit.
This has not been a problem in the past. However, in 2010/11 for some reason the inspector has raised a query, claiming that the inter-business balance falls within S.455 and should therefore have been declared on the supplementary pages on the CT600.
Now, any balance arising on this account has always been for business purposes. It has never represented anything used personally by the partners (that's what the DLA is for). It seems to me that the Inspector wants to treat the inter-business balance simply as an extension of the DLA, and I'm sure that S.455 ever intended this.
Does anybody out there have previous experience of this situation? Observations as ever gratefully received.
- B2B vat in the EU 154 4
- Coding Notice 185 6
- VAT on Hire Purchase 62 1
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 361 9
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 176 4
- Changes to class 2 NIC's 194 3
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 159 4
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 152 3
- LLP as member of LLP 108 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,760 48
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 465 7
- Vat 288 7
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,287 13
- Recharge for private use of a company car 198 3
- Funding Circle Servicing Fee 175 2
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,498 18
- CT/CIS offset 154 2
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 203 4
- Trade name 202 3
- Musician - Allowable Travel expenses 146 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 828
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 712
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 395
- Social investment tax relief 211
- Digita Hosted Software 207
- Call Centre Data Costs 195
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 167
- Travel costs and contractors 159
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 152
- accounting for this transaction 152