I act for two clients who are 50/50 shareholders in a limited company and also 50/50 partners in another, separate partnership. The two businesses operate out of the same premises and share overheads and joint expenses etc. on an agreed basis.
The clients in their capacity as directors of the company have overdrawn DLA balances which have properly been declared to HMRC. However, the company also has a debtor balance due from the partnership. There has historically been an inter-business balance between the company and the partnership caused by recharging of proportions of expenses and/or simply borrowing between the two business from time to time to fund cash flow requirements. Sometimes the balance has been credit, sometimes debit.
This has not been a problem in the past. However, in 2010/11 for some reason the inspector has raised a query, claiming that the inter-business balance falls within S.455 and should therefore have been declared on the supplementary pages on the CT600.
Now, any balance arising on this account has always been for business purposes. It has never represented anything used personally by the partners (that's what the DLA is for). It seems to me that the Inspector wants to treat the inter-business balance simply as an extension of the DLA, and I'm sure that S.455 ever intended this.
Does anybody out there have previous experience of this situation? Observations as ever gratefully received.
- Sole Trader to Ltd 83 1
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 422 13
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 608 8
- VT accounts licence key 362 6
- Starting up in practice - safety net 411 9
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 484 10
- Opening balances Sage 50 44 1
- Flat rate vat 327 4
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 235 6
- Rental property company 178 2
- Can Excel sheets be imported into Digita Accounts Production Posting Sheets? 176 2
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 1,475 27
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,202 35
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 408 11
- How to avoid PAYE Registeration 320 4
- Payroo Employer allowance query 289 8
- Enforcing A CCJ 411 7
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 237 1
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 219 2
- Comapny valuation qualifications 167 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 832
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 576
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 449
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 323
- Free Tax Legislation? 302
- Director Loan account operation 284
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 270
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 262
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 244
- Paye procedures for CVA 184