I act for two clients who are 50/50 shareholders in a limited company and also 50/50 partners in another, separate partnership. The two businesses operate out of the same premises and share overheads and joint expenses etc. on an agreed basis.
The clients in their capacity as directors of the company have overdrawn DLA balances which have properly been declared to HMRC. However, the company also has a debtor balance due from the partnership. There has historically been an inter-business balance between the company and the partnership caused by recharging of proportions of expenses and/or simply borrowing between the two business from time to time to fund cash flow requirements. Sometimes the balance has been credit, sometimes debit.
This has not been a problem in the past. However, in 2010/11 for some reason the inspector has raised a query, claiming that the inter-business balance falls within S.455 and should therefore have been declared on the supplementary pages on the CT600.
Now, any balance arising on this account has always been for business purposes. It has never represented anything used personally by the partners (that's what the DLA is for). It seems to me that the Inspector wants to treat the inter-business balance simply as an extension of the DLA, and I'm sure that S.455 ever intended this.
Does anybody out there have previous experience of this situation? Observations as ever gratefully received.
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 755 25
- Disclosure query 53 3
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 376 6
- Invoice factoring 34 2
- Auto enrolment 253 4
- paye scheme very used 95 1
- Reverse charge - do you always book it? 215 6
- LLP Accounts format 66 1
- Scoot 282 6
- A question about share structure 39 1
- Corporation tax due date confusion 182 3
- Top slicing relief question 134 2
- Share swap 186 3
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 285 2
- Tax on sale of shares 160 3
- Accountants' Error 857 17
- Previous accountant filed dormant accounts in error 332 3
- Unclaimed amortisation of goodwill 223 6
- Shareholder agreement 224 5
- VAT - time of supply 92 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,463
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 781
- Any views 710
- HMRC Employers Diary 530
- International interest certificate 428
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 398
- Sale of business 360
- NOVA 266
- Advertising services? 263
- IRIS Open Books problem 258