S198 election on overseas property?
I am aware that a property investor investing in overseas commercial property can claim capital allowances on the same basis that they can on UK property. Likewise if there is a surplus of allowances, these can (currently) be offset (without a cap) against general income – S121 ITA 2007.
OK so far so good.
My question is that on a future sale what happens? Do the allowances reverse or can the taxpayer make use of S198 CAA 2001 provisions to sell the asset for an agreed tax WDV / £1 even though the purchaser could very well be a non-UK taxpayer. Is there anything to stop a 198 election from being effective? I know there is a requirement under S201(3)(f) CAA2001 to have tax district and ref numbers for the persons making the election but there is actually no stipulation this has to be UK references??!
Any help would be much appreciated.
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 258 11
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 1,024 13
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 256 7
- Sage data 94 1
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 416 9
- Limited company buying a car 354 6
- Funding Circle experience 136 3
- Excel query 100 2
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,275 13
- Payment on account penalties 109 3
- Tax on free shares 130 5
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 203 3
- Capital allowances on sale and puchase of business assets 122 1
- Audit 482 14
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 124 3
- Buying a horse?? 427 12
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 192 2
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 773 21
- PITA ex-client 272 9
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 366 9
- CTA study material 802
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 494
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 457
- Employment related securities question 321
- AIM Stocks and IHT 308
- Expat pension contributions? 280
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 277
- Trust for Employee 256
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 227
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 160