S198 election on overseas property?
I am aware that a property investor investing in overseas commercial property can claim capital allowances on the same basis that they can on UK property. Likewise if there is a surplus of allowances, these can (currently) be offset (without a cap) against general income – S121 ITA 2007.
OK so far so good.
My question is that on a future sale what happens? Do the allowances reverse or can the taxpayer make use of S198 CAA 2001 provisions to sell the asset for an agreed tax WDV / £1 even though the purchaser could very well be a non-UK taxpayer. Is there anything to stop a 198 election from being effective? I know there is a requirement under S201(3)(f) CAA2001 to have tax district and ref numbers for the persons making the election but there is actually no stipulation this has to be UK references??!
Any help would be much appreciated.
- Land Opt to Tax - VAT scope 47 2
- Tax on Bitcoin gains in hands of individual 99 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,066 24
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 291 8
- Write off of former director's loan 370 8
- What aspects of accountancy/book-keeping most trouble people 223 4
- VAT on part of a closed pub 208 13
- Is anyone a member of National Accountancy Network? 130 2
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 255 4
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 188 6
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 236 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 177 3
- Dispensation pointless ? 316 5
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 221 6
- SME Direct Debit 687 11
- Accountant software 449 13
- Accounting jobs in the UK 177 2
- CIS gross status review 130 1
- Notes needed for a new partner in an LLP 135 2
- Dividend payments to spouses 389 6
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 767
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 487
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 303
- How to format a stock book 269
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 219
- Tax efficient holding company structure 207
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 200
- Investment property company accounts template 192
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 176
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 165