S198 election on overseas property?
I am aware that a property investor investing in overseas commercial property can claim capital allowances on the same basis that they can on UK property. Likewise if there is a surplus of allowances, these can (currently) be offset (without a cap) against general income – S121 ITA 2007.
OK so far so good.
My question is that on a future sale what happens? Do the allowances reverse or can the taxpayer make use of S198 CAA 2001 provisions to sell the asset for an agreed tax WDV / £1 even though the purchaser could very well be a non-UK taxpayer. Is there anything to stop a 198 election from being effective? I know there is a requirement under S201(3)(f) CAA2001 to have tax district and ref numbers for the persons making the election but there is actually no stipulation this has to be UK references??!
Any help would be much appreciated.
- BA Cabin Crew Employment Expenses 1,463 5
- How much does the company pay 72 2
- Help with CGT please 84 3
- Lack of VAT Receipt 117 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 310 6
- Benefit in Kind 298 6
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 321 17
- Will I need to resign? 940 11
- Cocaine anyone? 669 11
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 257 4
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 159 4
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 203 3
- Allocation of Receipt from DWP 181 2
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 850 11
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 550 19
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 722 13
- Personal pension 452 9
- Business rates consultancy 274 4
- Wrong tax code 192 6
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 116 2
- Hive up 517
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 477
- corporate hierarchy 455
- Advice - 299
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 247
- WWOOFers 243
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 222
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 199
- The booking.com con 185
- Cocaine anyone? 170