S198 election on overseas property?
I am aware that a property investor investing in overseas commercial property can claim capital allowances on the same basis that they can on UK property. Likewise if there is a surplus of allowances, these can (currently) be offset (without a cap) against general income – S121 ITA 2007.
OK so far so good.
My question is that on a future sale what happens? Do the allowances reverse or can the taxpayer make use of S198 CAA 2001 provisions to sell the asset for an agreed tax WDV / £1 even though the purchaser could very well be a non-UK taxpayer. Is there anything to stop a 198 election from being effective? I know there is a requirement under S201(3)(f) CAA2001 to have tax district and ref numbers for the persons making the election but there is actually no stipulation this has to be UK references??!
Any help would be much appreciated.
- Professional coaching claimable? 91 1
- Sage instant account codes 123 1
- Networking 139 1
- What VAT to reclaim on van purchased on HP? 265 4
- Mobile phones, directors of micro-companies 180 1
- Turnover on a tax return 308 8
- incorrect old p60 452 11
- Cashflow forecasting software 304 4
- Letter to HMRC over 3 months ago, still no reply 1,933 19
- Companies House paper incorporation - date of birth omission 294 4
- US company hiring UK citizens in UK 252 3
- VAT refund 190 1
- Is there an AIA calculator anywhere 264 1
- Reclaiming VAT on refurbishment cost? 270 3
- Missing tax return 397 4
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,129 30
- Inflation and fees 1,412 24
- Sage Priority Support 193 3
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 847 24
- Micro-entity accounts 318 1