S198 election on overseas property?
I am aware that a property investor investing in overseas commercial property can claim capital allowances on the same basis that they can on UK property. Likewise if there is a surplus of allowances, these can (currently) be offset (without a cap) against general income – S121 ITA 2007.
OK so far so good.
My question is that on a future sale what happens? Do the allowances reverse or can the taxpayer make use of S198 CAA 2001 provisions to sell the asset for an agreed tax WDV / £1 even though the purchaser could very well be a non-UK taxpayer. Is there anything to stop a 198 election from being effective? I know there is a requirement under S201(3)(f) CAA2001 to have tax district and ref numbers for the persons making the election but there is actually no stipulation this has to be UK references??!
Any help would be much appreciated.
- property capital gains 153 2
- Transferring DLA between Directors 142 1
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 1,160 13
- Tips on meals 180 2
- Buy Samsung Galaxy Note 5 516 10
- Rental losses on jointly owned property 162 3
- Personal Tax 730 13
- Overpaid In Employers NI - RTI EYU for hundreds of employees 183 2
- Stumped - IHT 144 2
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 410 6
- No PAYE Registration but need auto enrolment 473 11
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 1,283 33
- Credit management tools 147 1
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 771 20
- Incorporate to utilise dividend allowance next year? 405 7
- CGT and primary residence 181 1
- Marriage Allowance 281 3
- S455 and February year ends 335 7
- HMRC having technical difficulties 891 18
- Closing down loss-making company 461 5