S198 election on overseas property?
I am aware that a property investor investing in overseas commercial property can claim capital allowances on the same basis that they can on UK property. Likewise if there is a surplus of allowances, these can (currently) be offset (without a cap) against general income – S121 ITA 2007.
OK so far so good.
My question is that on a future sale what happens? Do the allowances reverse or can the taxpayer make use of S198 CAA 2001 provisions to sell the asset for an agreed tax WDV / £1 even though the purchaser could very well be a non-UK taxpayer. Is there anything to stop a 198 election from being effective? I know there is a requirement under S201(3)(f) CAA2001 to have tax district and ref numbers for the persons making the election but there is actually no stipulation this has to be UK references??!
Any help would be much appreciated.
- Do I need a smartphone? 1,440 42
- Yorkshire Day 407 28
- Company Director In Prison 575 13
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 1,236 23
- Update workbook linkage without opening source 176 6
- Self Assessment Tax Return Required ???? 80 3
- Company no longer showing on Companies House web site 248 6
- Dividend dates 639 11
- calculation DTR restriction 175 5
- Deleted question? 365 4
- MAAT vs ACCA 589 11
- Flat rate VAT 293 6
- Redundancy pay for directors? 1,268 15
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,834 72
- CRM systems? 106 2
- Accountancy Career 560 13
- Help with HMRC investigation 535 9
- Vat on Payments on Account 158 3
- Estate agents - shared commission 203 5
- E-Magazines and pdfs 91 1
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 560
- Cancelled 449
- Cancelled 374
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 368
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 346
- Probiz 345
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 251
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 222
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 219
- More spam 174