S198 election on overseas property?
I am aware that a property investor investing in overseas commercial property can claim capital allowances on the same basis that they can on UK property. Likewise if there is a surplus of allowances, these can (currently) be offset (without a cap) against general income – S121 ITA 2007.
OK so far so good.
My question is that on a future sale what happens? Do the allowances reverse or can the taxpayer make use of S198 CAA 2001 provisions to sell the asset for an agreed tax WDV / £1 even though the purchaser could very well be a non-UK taxpayer. Is there anything to stop a 198 election from being effective? I know there is a requirement under S201(3)(f) CAA2001 to have tax district and ref numbers for the persons making the election but there is actually no stipulation this has to be UK references??!
Any help would be much appreciated.
- Cash injection by shareholder 813 9
- Director selling assets to the company that were given to her 384 11
- Any Scottish members out there? 13,574 503
- help needed with rti paye please 80 2
- Can't read my handwriting 782 19
- Undeclared rental income 376 7
- Home Use Costs in Company Accounts ? 306 7
- Sick pay 226 6
- Directors self assessment 130 2
- Employer's Helpline 209 1
- Employment Allowance Incorrectly Claimed for Domestic Payroll 101 2
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 186 1
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,751 70
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 1,085 8
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 952 27
- Penalties for an amended p35 (2012/13) 130 2
- 2 sole traders merging to become a limited company what do they need? 305 10
- Unfurnished Lettings Expenditure 251 6
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 445 20
- cross border vat 153 3
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,410
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 539
- National Insurance 438
- Non Resident 328
- Hands on experience of Digita 258
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 246
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 164
- Umbrella pay services 143
- VAT on ESS via Apple, Google, Nokia - 122
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 121