S198 election on overseas property?
I am aware that a property investor investing in overseas commercial property can claim capital allowances on the same basis that they can on UK property. Likewise if there is a surplus of allowances, these can (currently) be offset (without a cap) against general income – S121 ITA 2007.
OK so far so good.
My question is that on a future sale what happens? Do the allowances reverse or can the taxpayer make use of S198 CAA 2001 provisions to sell the asset for an agreed tax WDV / £1 even though the purchaser could very well be a non-UK taxpayer. Is there anything to stop a 198 election from being effective? I know there is a requirement under S201(3)(f) CAA2001 to have tax district and ref numbers for the persons making the election but there is actually no stipulation this has to be UK references??!
Any help would be much appreciated.
- Tax - Paying Yearly 20 1
- Anyone using PracticePA? 201 3
- How do I correct a previous accountants major mistake on PAYE/SA? 382 4
- How to find difference in Sage bank rec 255 6
- Auto enrollment. What's the basis for contribution ? 58 1
- Seeking advice: CGT after divorce when house sold and neither party was resident 157 2
- New company uses old Bank Account 199 2
- converting garage to use as office 247 2
- recommended auto-enrolment pension scheme providers 641 13
- When is commencing trading not commening trading 112 1
- HOW is anyone obtaining an EORI number prior to shipment? 115 2
- Sage Drive Queue.dta file lock out 322 7
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,160 11
- Strike off 422 9
- Contracting, Subcontracting and Agency Worker Regs 134 2
- auto enrolment 277 1
- Shortening an Accounting Reference Date 317 6
- Private use of vans 159 1
- My friend may have unknowingly participated in a tax avoidance scheme... 702 6
- Why are so many UK accountants reticent to make use of Indian outsourcing providers? 4,161 92
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 372
- Any thoughts on Capium? 324
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 291
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 267
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 252
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 225
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 176
- French ConnectionUK 161
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 158
- Income tax: Interaction between new marriage allowance and new nil band on savings interest 158