S198 election on overseas property?
I am aware that a property investor investing in overseas commercial property can claim capital allowances on the same basis that they can on UK property. Likewise if there is a surplus of allowances, these can (currently) be offset (without a cap) against general income – S121 ITA 2007.
OK so far so good.
My question is that on a future sale what happens? Do the allowances reverse or can the taxpayer make use of S198 CAA 2001 provisions to sell the asset for an agreed tax WDV / £1 even though the purchaser could very well be a non-UK taxpayer. Is there anything to stop a 198 election from being effective? I know there is a requirement under S201(3)(f) CAA2001 to have tax district and ref numbers for the persons making the election but there is actually no stipulation this has to be UK references??!
Any help would be much appreciated.
- Residents Association Corp Tax 212 9
- Vat threshold issues 175 4
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 302 2
- private to company car? 221 5
- Buy to let allowable interest 172 3
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 113 2
- What is the best practice for running a roofing company in Sage 87 1
- Anyone use Xero for estate agent clients? 284 5
- How to change credit note allocation in Sage 143 4
- Partner with an IVA 191 5
- What can my client claim r & d on? 338 6
- R&D tax claim 129 1
- How much to charge for Ltd company accounts ? 608 13
- Growing pains 382 7
- Does Freeholder have to be director of our RTM Company? 242 14
- Consequential loss claim 140 3
- ATT Annual Return Problems 130 2
- what is classed as investment under other fixed assets? 116 1
- Is a Mercedes Vito a van for tax purposes? 347 5
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 972 34
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 458
- CTA study material 420
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 304
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 290
- Pre incorp expenses 284
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 247
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 235
- Slight twist on employment related securities 212
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 188
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 179