S198 election on overseas property?
I am aware that a property investor investing in overseas commercial property can claim capital allowances on the same basis that they can on UK property. Likewise if there is a surplus of allowances, these can (currently) be offset (without a cap) against general income – S121 ITA 2007.
OK so far so good.
My question is that on a future sale what happens? Do the allowances reverse or can the taxpayer make use of S198 CAA 2001 provisions to sell the asset for an agreed tax WDV / £1 even though the purchaser could very well be a non-UK taxpayer. Is there anything to stop a 198 election from being effective? I know there is a requirement under S201(3)(f) CAA2001 to have tax district and ref numbers for the persons making the election but there is actually no stipulation this has to be UK references??!
Any help would be much appreciated.
- What does it mean?? 185 3
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 153 5
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 568 11
- Tax Credit Overpayment 220 8
- A question about share structure 185 3
- Two clients (married to each other) disappeared from client list 213 5
- Holding companies 127 5
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 76 1
- Offsetting CIS tax suffered against CT 87 2
- another ir35!!!! 976 5
- I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes 515 6
- Soil Survey Required Mortgage 198 6
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 87 2
- Donations/grants by a CIC 169 1
- VAT Registration 396 18
- Gifting shares 231 4
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 653 5
- Notes to statutory accounts 192 9
- Childminding & Wear & Tear Allowance 90 1
- VAT on motor expenses 852 30
- Skandia using wrong address 1,525
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 839
- International interest certificate 457
- NOVA 314
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 203
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 203
- Bonus Bonds 198
- Management expenses for investment company 192
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 178
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 165