S198 election on overseas property?
I am aware that a property investor investing in overseas commercial property can claim capital allowances on the same basis that they can on UK property. Likewise if there is a surplus of allowances, these can (currently) be offset (without a cap) against general income – S121 ITA 2007.
OK so far so good.
My question is that on a future sale what happens? Do the allowances reverse or can the taxpayer make use of S198 CAA 2001 provisions to sell the asset for an agreed tax WDV / £1 even though the purchaser could very well be a non-UK taxpayer. Is there anything to stop a 198 election from being effective? I know there is a requirement under S201(3)(f) CAA2001 to have tax district and ref numbers for the persons making the election but there is actually no stipulation this has to be UK references??!
Any help would be much appreciated.
- Taxfiler V's BTC 580 23
- Goods Purchased for Rental 474 28
- Data Protection and emailing documents 1,088 15
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,969 25
- Does anyone have a formula to compare employment to self-employment rates? 413 8
- accounts & tax software for small accountancy firms 739 25
- Valuation of business 296 5
- CGT implications for gift of shares to connected person 148 7
- Dividend Payments 402 10
- I.d for vat registration 163 7
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 129 4
- builder's 'cost only' job 157 1
- Myfirmsapp 624 13
- Filing past due corporation tax returns 279 1
- Completing Self-Assessment for a Director of Owner Managed Business 177 3
- CIS Deductions 137 2
- SA302's anyone?? 2,692 40
- Accounting for VAT not yet paid in year end 173 3
- Loan to Partnership is s455 tax relevant? 485 17
- Legal Counsel PC costs 90 1
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,009
- International interest certificate 588
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 512
- NOVA 470
- Bonus Bonds 355
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 333
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 257
- Payment for Promotional Samples 227
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 222
- Quickbooks 2015 152