S198 election on overseas property?
I am aware that a property investor investing in overseas commercial property can claim capital allowances on the same basis that they can on UK property. Likewise if there is a surplus of allowances, these can (currently) be offset (without a cap) against general income – S121 ITA 2007.
OK so far so good.
My question is that on a future sale what happens? Do the allowances reverse or can the taxpayer make use of S198 CAA 2001 provisions to sell the asset for an agreed tax WDV / £1 even though the purchaser could very well be a non-UK taxpayer. Is there anything to stop a 198 election from being effective? I know there is a requirement under S201(3)(f) CAA2001 to have tax district and ref numbers for the persons making the election but there is actually no stipulation this has to be UK references??!
Any help would be much appreciated.
- Anybody still doing returns? 689 30
- Clothing 501 13
- Change to PAYE TAX CODE 87 5
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 151 7
- Parent and subsidiary... 54 2
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 340 16
- Designated sole Residence 127 2
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 709 15
- Anyone know what this is? 215 6
- HMRC filing meltdown? 884 27
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 490 7
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 257 9
- no utr 276 8
- client can't/won't pay 2,112 49
- Director drawings 601 32
- Tax Returns for non residents 289 2
- Investment properties/freehold land 85 1
- Capital Loss 121 3
- LLP formed in 2013 96 1
- File Abbreviated LLP accounts online? 190 7
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 950
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 671
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 621
- Latest phishing scam 597
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 434
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 323
- Scratch Head 260
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 253
- Sabbatical payments 213
- Negligible Value Claim 194