S198 election on overseas property?
I am aware that a property investor investing in overseas commercial property can claim capital allowances on the same basis that they can on UK property. Likewise if there is a surplus of allowances, these can (currently) be offset (without a cap) against general income – S121 ITA 2007.
OK so far so good.
My question is that on a future sale what happens? Do the allowances reverse or can the taxpayer make use of S198 CAA 2001 provisions to sell the asset for an agreed tax WDV / £1 even though the purchaser could very well be a non-UK taxpayer. Is there anything to stop a 198 election from being effective? I know there is a requirement under S201(3)(f) CAA2001 to have tax district and ref numbers for the persons making the election but there is actually no stipulation this has to be UK references??!
Any help would be much appreciated.
- Community awards 2014 - first category 207 8
- format cell to exclude decimals 340 18
- Payment plans for clients 292 4
- How a company director can keep paying £833 95 4
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 482 14
- Employee steeling client data 142 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,369 23
- Small bus. accounting software with departments 193 5
- Subsistence Exclusions 136 3
- Insurance Claims - Legal Services 94 1
- CT600 281 9
- VAT Office Grimsby 223 4
- signature required 922 34
- i want to get the reserves below 25K 207 1
- Can you help me spot errors? 345 4
- WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON AT HMRC? 174 2
- Form VAT 600 FRS 93 1
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 159 2
- Supply of service to EU community body exempt from VAT 106 1
- Lease 155 4
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,310
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 859
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 558
- Credit where credit's due....... 343
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 263
- TheTax Donut 236
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 195
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 186
- Director's business mileage 155
- Sole trader CPD 148