Salary vs dividends - have i got this right?
Hi - would really appreciate a bit of short sage advice please, - I know that some of you are likely to say that I should go and see a professional, and I will, but, I'd just like to get a feeling for if I am already in the wrong, and what the suggested route would be.
I have a ltd co, of which I am the sole director. Income is sporadic, and tends to come in lump sums. Thus far I have withdrawn about 70% of the income received on the basis that I would claim this as a dividend, - and these payouts have been irregular in both timings and amounts.
I also have a paid, separate, employment that utilises my personal allowance and puts me in the higher PAYE tax bracket.
What would be the general recommended course of action? Of course I would like to minimise, legally, my tax liability. Should I start paying a salary from my ltd co, but that would obviously attract EE/Eer NI, and PAYE at 40%, which seems inefficient. Can I withdraw the money from the business, and declare the dividend in one go at the end of the year, or should I declare a dividend every time I draw money? the business is being run on a very prudent basis, and will declare sufficient profits to cover the dividends drawn (only asset in the business is a £800 laptop), and I presume this falls into the annual investment allowance and therefore 100% writedown in year 1?
Any thoughts appreciated
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 360 5
- Seeking a tax case 291 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 198 4
- Companies house strike off 100 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 115 2
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 115 2
- Moving to the cloud 626 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 152 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 739 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 144 4
- BTC vs Digita 982 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 309 4
- See you all on the other side 260 5
- VATABLE Income 304 3
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 252 2
- Different Filing Dates - Help! 273 7
- What are we calling cloud now? 497 6
- P11D software 122 1
- Write off of loans FROM participators 536 9
- VAT - business splitting 240 3
- HMRC Joint Filing 525
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 394
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 354
- IRIS and FRS 102 328
- Capitalising Finance Lease 294
- USA help 287
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 248
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 236
- Capital gains on rental property 231
- Sage Coretime 218