Salary vs dividends - have i got this right?
Hi - would really appreciate a bit of short sage advice please, - I know that some of you are likely to say that I should go and see a professional, and I will, but, I'd just like to get a feeling for if I am already in the wrong, and what the suggested route would be.
I have a ltd co, of which I am the sole director. Income is sporadic, and tends to come in lump sums. Thus far I have withdrawn about 70% of the income received on the basis that I would claim this as a dividend, - and these payouts have been irregular in both timings and amounts.
I also have a paid, separate, employment that utilises my personal allowance and puts me in the higher PAYE tax bracket.
What would be the general recommended course of action? Of course I would like to minimise, legally, my tax liability. Should I start paying a salary from my ltd co, but that would obviously attract EE/Eer NI, and PAYE at 40%, which seems inefficient. Can I withdraw the money from the business, and declare the dividend in one go at the end of the year, or should I declare a dividend every time I draw money? the business is being run on a very prudent basis, and will declare sufficient profits to cover the dividends drawn (only asset in the business is a £800 laptop), and I presume this falls into the annual investment allowance and therefore 100% writedown in year 1?
Any thoughts appreciated
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 29 2
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 146 4
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 293 3
- Register for self assessment again as LLP member? 40 2
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 694 5
- TaxCalc Accounts production 274 4
- Old CGT loss 341 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 279 2
- UK Pension Income For Non-Residents 169 6
- Start up allowance? 481 13
- New Starter Checklist 337 9
- Meal Allowance - Limited Company 451 7
- Gave wrong info to client about tax due 830 22
- Goodwill complications 356 7
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 609 21
- HMRC Distraint 258 2
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 217 2
- Will I need to resign? 714 9
- What are the implications for a UK company director resident in Canada 146 3
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 404 8
- TheTax Donut 1,073
- Follower cases 512
- Hive up 447
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 414
- corporate hierarchy 405
- LIVE chat, starting now 390
- Advice - 225
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 198
- Amortisation of Goodwill 195
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 183