Salary vs dividends - have i got this right?
Hi - would really appreciate a bit of short sage advice please, - I know that some of you are likely to say that I should go and see a professional, and I will, but, I'd just like to get a feeling for if I am already in the wrong, and what the suggested route would be.
I have a ltd co, of which I am the sole director. Income is sporadic, and tends to come in lump sums. Thus far I have withdrawn about 70% of the income received on the basis that I would claim this as a dividend, - and these payouts have been irregular in both timings and amounts.
I also have a paid, separate, employment that utilises my personal allowance and puts me in the higher PAYE tax bracket.
What would be the general recommended course of action? Of course I would like to minimise, legally, my tax liability. Should I start paying a salary from my ltd co, but that would obviously attract EE/Eer NI, and PAYE at 40%, which seems inefficient. Can I withdraw the money from the business, and declare the dividend in one go at the end of the year, or should I declare a dividend every time I draw money? the business is being run on a very prudent basis, and will declare sufficient profits to cover the dividends drawn (only asset in the business is a £800 laptop), and I presume this falls into the annual investment allowance and therefore 100% writedown in year 1?
Any thoughts appreciated
- Legal title not in the company name 764 23
- 27,000 Really? 1,041 32
- FRS12 Redundancy and notice period provision 61 1
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 67 1
- This is getting boring 580 12
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 232 7
- pension paid by company? 86 3
- inheritance tax 398 12
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 320 9
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 215 4
- State pension 288 3
- Accountancy Career 107 1
- CIC Company 653 13
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,816 22
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,275 66
- Deduction from Salary 641 15
- Bank account of a different company being used for transactions. 431 5
- Group Audit Thresholds 352 10
- One off meeting new client 1,686 16
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 306 3
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 639
- Cancelled 393
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 353
- Cancelled 334
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 307
- Probiz 301
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 278
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 258
- How not to compose an email 248
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 221