Salary vs dividends - have i got this right?
Hi - would really appreciate a bit of short sage advice please, - I know that some of you are likely to say that I should go and see a professional, and I will, but, I'd just like to get a feeling for if I am already in the wrong, and what the suggested route would be.
I have a ltd co, of which I am the sole director. Income is sporadic, and tends to come in lump sums. Thus far I have withdrawn about 70% of the income received on the basis that I would claim this as a dividend, - and these payouts have been irregular in both timings and amounts.
I also have a paid, separate, employment that utilises my personal allowance and puts me in the higher PAYE tax bracket.
What would be the general recommended course of action? Of course I would like to minimise, legally, my tax liability. Should I start paying a salary from my ltd co, but that would obviously attract EE/Eer NI, and PAYE at 40%, which seems inefficient. Can I withdraw the money from the business, and declare the dividend in one go at the end of the year, or should I declare a dividend every time I draw money? the business is being run on a very prudent basis, and will declare sufficient profits to cover the dividends drawn (only asset in the business is a £800 laptop), and I presume this falls into the annual investment allowance and therefore 100% writedown in year 1?
Any thoughts appreciated
- Error or mistake claims (as was) 88 1
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 794 17
- Partnership profit share - tax efficient for husband and wife 155 3
- Property scam victim 315 5
- Capital Gains on Inherited Property 255 9
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 235 6
- How to use importing procedure for Transfers between the bank accounts 48 1
- Have i messed up? 745 11
- VAT on garage rent 127 8
- Are HMRC getting it right? 423 8
- 10 year debentures and CT 52 1
- Is there a legal obligation for the Inspector to hand over minutes of a meeting 99 2
- Tasks for new trainees 146 3
- Obvious Question but if NOT registered for VAT EU refunds as under minimum amounts, what does an expense get recorded as for UK VAT return? 68 1
- COMPANY DIRECTOR 69 1
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 562 15
- Offshore insurance bonds 105 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,647 46
- Tax Returns, 2011-2012 259 6
- Aggressive HMRC 1,811 19
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,092
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 575
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 383
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 288
- Charge out rates in London? 242
- Interest on Loan to a Company 189
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 174
- Agent fees to sell business 163
- Alphabet shares 160
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 154