Salary vs dividends - have i got this right?
Hi - would really appreciate a bit of short sage advice please, - I know that some of you are likely to say that I should go and see a professional, and I will, but, I'd just like to get a feeling for if I am already in the wrong, and what the suggested route would be.
I have a ltd co, of which I am the sole director. Income is sporadic, and tends to come in lump sums. Thus far I have withdrawn about 70% of the income received on the basis that I would claim this as a dividend, - and these payouts have been irregular in both timings and amounts.
I also have a paid, separate, employment that utilises my personal allowance and puts me in the higher PAYE tax bracket.
What would be the general recommended course of action? Of course I would like to minimise, legally, my tax liability. Should I start paying a salary from my ltd co, but that would obviously attract EE/Eer NI, and PAYE at 40%, which seems inefficient. Can I withdraw the money from the business, and declare the dividend in one go at the end of the year, or should I declare a dividend every time I draw money? the business is being run on a very prudent basis, and will declare sufficient profits to cover the dividends drawn (only asset in the business is a £800 laptop), and I presume this falls into the annual investment allowance and therefore 100% writedown in year 1?
Any thoughts appreciated
- Accountants' Error 710 14
- Corporation tax due date confusion 33 1
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 157 5
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 150 3
- Scoot 190 4
- Zero Rated VAT on New Building 156 2
- Tax code for Companies House fees 213 3
- G'day IPA-IFA 663 11
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,455 20
- VAT customer is registered in France, goods shipped to the UK 111 1
- Regaining my qualification 211 2
- Self-Assessment - NIC Exemption 238 2
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 241 2
- Auto enrolment 197 3
- Shareholder agreement 175 3
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 197 3
- Company Reorganisation 168 3
- Employee Loan 214 2
- IRIS - Personal Tax - 2013/14 - Page UKP2 468 15
- Statutory residence test - transit days 598 5
- Skandia using wrong address 1,455
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 770
- Any views 700
- HMRC Employers Diary 524
- International interest certificate 426
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 392
- Sale of business 357
- NOVA 261
- Advertising services? 258
- IRIS Open Books problem 251