Salary vs dividends - have i got this right?
Hi - would really appreciate a bit of short sage advice please, - I know that some of you are likely to say that I should go and see a professional, and I will, but, I'd just like to get a feeling for if I am already in the wrong, and what the suggested route would be.
I have a ltd co, of which I am the sole director. Income is sporadic, and tends to come in lump sums. Thus far I have withdrawn about 70% of the income received on the basis that I would claim this as a dividend, - and these payouts have been irregular in both timings and amounts.
I also have a paid, separate, employment that utilises my personal allowance and puts me in the higher PAYE tax bracket.
What would be the general recommended course of action? Of course I would like to minimise, legally, my tax liability. Should I start paying a salary from my ltd co, but that would obviously attract EE/Eer NI, and PAYE at 40%, which seems inefficient. Can I withdraw the money from the business, and declare the dividend in one go at the end of the year, or should I declare a dividend every time I draw money? the business is being run on a very prudent basis, and will declare sufficient profits to cover the dividends drawn (only asset in the business is a £800 laptop), and I presume this falls into the annual investment allowance and therefore 100% writedown in year 1?
Any thoughts appreciated
- What expenses to claim for painter/decorator working from home base 48 1
- ICAS GPPM 78 1
- PPR for non-residents after 05 Apr 2015 121 2
- Payroll 243 7
- Buying fees 682 5
- IHT Query 443 11
- Audit and paypal balances 178 7
- Missing C79 159 5
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 489 16
- VAT margin scheme 273 14
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 310 8
- How to walk away without questions 2,734 17
- Takeover of Annual PAYE scheme 136 2
- Get it off your chest 253 4
- Directors bonus 158 2
- Auto Enrolment specialist service provider 113 1
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 285 3
- HMRC Unpaid Debt Collector 282 5
- do you receive fewer phone calls than some years back because of emails 185 3
- break even point 1,123 33
- Possible Partnership? 561
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 554
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 482
- New Fangled Penalties 358
- Clubs and Taxable Income 295
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 279
- Loans to other companies 222
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 215
- Outsource Data Entry 182
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 180