Salary vs dividends - have i got this right?
Hi - would really appreciate a bit of short sage advice please, - I know that some of you are likely to say that I should go and see a professional, and I will, but, I'd just like to get a feeling for if I am already in the wrong, and what the suggested route would be.
I have a ltd co, of which I am the sole director. Income is sporadic, and tends to come in lump sums. Thus far I have withdrawn about 70% of the income received on the basis that I would claim this as a dividend, - and these payouts have been irregular in both timings and amounts.
I also have a paid, separate, employment that utilises my personal allowance and puts me in the higher PAYE tax bracket.
What would be the general recommended course of action? Of course I would like to minimise, legally, my tax liability. Should I start paying a salary from my ltd co, but that would obviously attract EE/Eer NI, and PAYE at 40%, which seems inefficient. Can I withdraw the money from the business, and declare the dividend in one go at the end of the year, or should I declare a dividend every time I draw money? the business is being run on a very prudent basis, and will declare sufficient profits to cover the dividends drawn (only asset in the business is a £800 laptop), and I presume this falls into the annual investment allowance and therefore 100% writedown in year 1?
Any thoughts appreciated
- 2 companies, one payroll 118 3
- Director Liability 32 1
- Freelance/Employee 354 9
- Salary Sacrifice andy subsistence payments 127 4
- How do I answer a W-8BEN-E question (USA IRS) 377 4
- exemptions from CIS 235 6
- Directors exempt from AE? 557 10
- Finding mobile numbers for clients we have lost contact with 76 1
- Volontaire International en Entreprise (VIE) 182 5
- Xero Pain Points 632 20
- Impairment in value of subsidiary - allowable? 263 13
- The importance of Grammar 1,732 52
- Client Require Tax Return and Profit and Loss for Housing Benefit claim 214 2
- VAT - How hard is it? 1,670 56
- Tax Implications on Child Benefits 384 3
- How much do you pay for Xero? 293 3
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 597 23
- Cut-off accounting question 393 8
- VAT reverse charge on consulting from EC 112 2
- VAT Reclaim 209 7
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 393
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 349
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 333
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 313
- Electric Car 265
- S222 Charge 230
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 226
- Company Structure 206
- IP trans to holding company 169
- Travel and Subsistence Expenses 168