Salary vs dividends - have i got this right?
Hi - would really appreciate a bit of short sage advice please, - I know that some of you are likely to say that I should go and see a professional, and I will, but, I'd just like to get a feeling for if I am already in the wrong, and what the suggested route would be.
I have a ltd co, of which I am the sole director. Income is sporadic, and tends to come in lump sums. Thus far I have withdrawn about 70% of the income received on the basis that I would claim this as a dividend, - and these payouts have been irregular in both timings and amounts.
I also have a paid, separate, employment that utilises my personal allowance and puts me in the higher PAYE tax bracket.
What would be the general recommended course of action? Of course I would like to minimise, legally, my tax liability. Should I start paying a salary from my ltd co, but that would obviously attract EE/Eer NI, and PAYE at 40%, which seems inefficient. Can I withdraw the money from the business, and declare the dividend in one go at the end of the year, or should I declare a dividend every time I draw money? the business is being run on a very prudent basis, and will declare sufficient profits to cover the dividends drawn (only asset in the business is a £800 laptop), and I presume this falls into the annual investment allowance and therefore 100% writedown in year 1?
Any thoughts appreciated
- Before 2015 budget did dividend income impact on savings tax rate up to 2014-2015? 378 10
- Tax-free savings and "taxable income" 2,996 57
- Client's company struck off 2,239 27
- Sale of land at an undervalue in return for an income stream? 18 2
- sage 214 5
- Little Green Man needs help HGV driver LTD company 288 7
- Sage Payroll 260 5
- R&D tax credits 123 6
- Pre trading expenditure 70 1
- Reverse charge on services between UK and IE 114 2
- Double entry 276 6
- ATED on a hotel that isn't in use? 136 2
- Do you get your clients to sign their EOY EPS submission? 1,181 18
- Trust income, R185 form 102 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 786 12
- Improvements to leasehold property and Capital Allowances 87 2
- Annual Report - How to? 512 25
- Outsourcing Payroll 239 3
- CIS Set off 92 1
- 15% restirction on lease cars 204 3
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 548
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 471
- EPS and CIS deductions 330
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 312
- Construction CIS LLP Company 306
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 301
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 272
- Overdrawn director account 229
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 206
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 205