Salary vs dividends - have i got this right?
Hi - would really appreciate a bit of short sage advice please, - I know that some of you are likely to say that I should go and see a professional, and I will, but, I'd just like to get a feeling for if I am already in the wrong, and what the suggested route would be.
I have a ltd co, of which I am the sole director. Income is sporadic, and tends to come in lump sums. Thus far I have withdrawn about 70% of the income received on the basis that I would claim this as a dividend, - and these payouts have been irregular in both timings and amounts.
I also have a paid, separate, employment that utilises my personal allowance and puts me in the higher PAYE tax bracket.
What would be the general recommended course of action? Of course I would like to minimise, legally, my tax liability. Should I start paying a salary from my ltd co, but that would obviously attract EE/Eer NI, and PAYE at 40%, which seems inefficient. Can I withdraw the money from the business, and declare the dividend in one go at the end of the year, or should I declare a dividend every time I draw money? the business is being run on a very prudent basis, and will declare sufficient profits to cover the dividends drawn (only asset in the business is a £800 laptop), and I presume this falls into the annual investment allowance and therefore 100% writedown in year 1?
Any thoughts appreciated
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 843 23
- Unfurnished Lettings Expenditure 219 6
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 425 20
- cross border vat 133 3
- Which profit figure to use 165 2
- Audit partner? 334 7
- Penalties for an amended p35 (2012/13) 63 1
- 2 sole traders merging to become a limited company what do they need? 259 9
- home office expenses as a director 167 6
- Sick pay 132 2
- Undeclared rental income 280 5
- Home Use Costs in Company Accounts ? 217 4
- Drop box Storage 887 9
- Drop Down Boxes 157 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 13,390 498
- CIS paid under reg 9 212 1
- PAYE Refunds from HMRC 188 4
- rti 242 9
- Cash injection by shareholder 733 9
- Another goodwill question ....... 244 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,404
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 535
- National Insurance 436
- Non Resident 328
- Hands on experience of Digita 256
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 242
- Employer's Helpline 194
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 163
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 159
- Umbrella pay services 134