Salary vs dividends - have i got this right?
Hi - would really appreciate a bit of short sage advice please, - I know that some of you are likely to say that I should go and see a professional, and I will, but, I'd just like to get a feeling for if I am already in the wrong, and what the suggested route would be.
I have a ltd co, of which I am the sole director. Income is sporadic, and tends to come in lump sums. Thus far I have withdrawn about 70% of the income received on the basis that I would claim this as a dividend, - and these payouts have been irregular in both timings and amounts.
I also have a paid, separate, employment that utilises my personal allowance and puts me in the higher PAYE tax bracket.
What would be the general recommended course of action? Of course I would like to minimise, legally, my tax liability. Should I start paying a salary from my ltd co, but that would obviously attract EE/Eer NI, and PAYE at 40%, which seems inefficient. Can I withdraw the money from the business, and declare the dividend in one go at the end of the year, or should I declare a dividend every time I draw money? the business is being run on a very prudent basis, and will declare sufficient profits to cover the dividends drawn (only asset in the business is a £800 laptop), and I presume this falls into the annual investment allowance and therefore 100% writedown in year 1?
Any thoughts appreciated
- deleted 357 21
- PII and previous accountant 58 3
- Use of aliases 385 14
- What's the plural? 149 4
- Client leaving and querying previous years accounts 589 25
- What should I charge for unlimited advice and support ? 70 3
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 68 1
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 80 1
- CGT on Self Build Plus Another Property 157 8
- DISCOUNTED RENT FREE PERIOD 99 1
- Sage training course 226 7
- Registering as a CIS Contractor 117 2
- Builder - Roll over relief 154 7
- HMRC online out of action? 124 3
- Hold over relief 243 2
- Benchmark scale rates for subsistance 119 1
- Overdue VAT returns 154 3
- Non-Resident with UK rental income 145 3
- sports club 95 1
- Cloud Technology 149 2
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 558
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 407
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 312
- IFA incorporation 283
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 269
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 265
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 236
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 224
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 195
- Life assurance gains anomoly?? 189