Salary vs dividends - have i got this right?
Hi - would really appreciate a bit of short sage advice please, - I know that some of you are likely to say that I should go and see a professional, and I will, but, I'd just like to get a feeling for if I am already in the wrong, and what the suggested route would be.
I have a ltd co, of which I am the sole director. Income is sporadic, and tends to come in lump sums. Thus far I have withdrawn about 70% of the income received on the basis that I would claim this as a dividend, - and these payouts have been irregular in both timings and amounts.
I also have a paid, separate, employment that utilises my personal allowance and puts me in the higher PAYE tax bracket.
What would be the general recommended course of action? Of course I would like to minimise, legally, my tax liability. Should I start paying a salary from my ltd co, but that would obviously attract EE/Eer NI, and PAYE at 40%, which seems inefficient. Can I withdraw the money from the business, and declare the dividend in one go at the end of the year, or should I declare a dividend every time I draw money? the business is being run on a very prudent basis, and will declare sufficient profits to cover the dividends drawn (only asset in the business is a £800 laptop), and I presume this falls into the annual investment allowance and therefore 100% writedown in year 1?
Any thoughts appreciated
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 407 6
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 101 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,679 46
- Recharge for private use of a company car 175 3
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 327 5
- Funding Circle Servicing Fee 134 2
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,253 12
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,466 18
- Vat 247 4
- CT/CIS offset 122 2
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 179 4
- Trade name 175 3
- Musician - Allowable Travel expenses 131 1
- New business - journal entries 312 20
- B2B vat in the EU 116 2
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 314 18
- VAT on deposits 207 2
- VAT clearance for determining the correct rate to apply 133 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 411 12
- option to tax 205 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 798
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 709
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 390
- Social investment tax relief 207
- Digita Hosted Software 202
- Call Centre Data Costs 193
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 162
- Travel costs and contractors 152
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 147
- Certificates of tax deposit 139