Salary vs dividends - have i got this right?
Hi - would really appreciate a bit of short sage advice please, - I know that some of you are likely to say that I should go and see a professional, and I will, but, I'd just like to get a feeling for if I am already in the wrong, and what the suggested route would be.
I have a ltd co, of which I am the sole director. Income is sporadic, and tends to come in lump sums. Thus far I have withdrawn about 70% of the income received on the basis that I would claim this as a dividend, - and these payouts have been irregular in both timings and amounts.
I also have a paid, separate, employment that utilises my personal allowance and puts me in the higher PAYE tax bracket.
What would be the general recommended course of action? Of course I would like to minimise, legally, my tax liability. Should I start paying a salary from my ltd co, but that would obviously attract EE/Eer NI, and PAYE at 40%, which seems inefficient. Can I withdraw the money from the business, and declare the dividend in one go at the end of the year, or should I declare a dividend every time I draw money? the business is being run on a very prudent basis, and will declare sufficient profits to cover the dividends drawn (only asset in the business is a £800 laptop), and I presume this falls into the annual investment allowance and therefore 100% writedown in year 1?
Any thoughts appreciated
- VAT Exemptions for Dance Education 84 1
- Keeping disastrous accounts 265 4
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,849 74
- In pratice using part time accountants 222 3
- Payments on account 60 1
- On the high seas 75 1
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 122 2
- OMG HMRC !!!! Employ some ppl!! 538 11
- RTI Payroll ID 962 22
- Spousal transfer and PPR 840 34
- Payroll question 110 2
- Where has Portia gone? 4,793 106
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 252 5
- Warning - "Central Register of Companies" con 196 3
- Overlap profit 233 4
- Goodwill On Incorporation 127 1
- CT600 for first year UK company trading abroad 177 13
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 339 5
- micro entity balance sheet query 292 6
- What are other accountants having for lunch? 645 19
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 839
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 439
- Sanzar 335
- How do you do it 329
- Digital marketing focus group 309
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 285
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 201
- new investor structure 194
- Fit for purpose 194
- VAT Registration 175