Salary vs dividends - have i got this right?
Hi - would really appreciate a bit of short sage advice please, - I know that some of you are likely to say that I should go and see a professional, and I will, but, I'd just like to get a feeling for if I am already in the wrong, and what the suggested route would be.
I have a ltd co, of which I am the sole director. Income is sporadic, and tends to come in lump sums. Thus far I have withdrawn about 70% of the income received on the basis that I would claim this as a dividend, - and these payouts have been irregular in both timings and amounts.
I also have a paid, separate, employment that utilises my personal allowance and puts me in the higher PAYE tax bracket.
What would be the general recommended course of action? Of course I would like to minimise, legally, my tax liability. Should I start paying a salary from my ltd co, but that would obviously attract EE/Eer NI, and PAYE at 40%, which seems inefficient. Can I withdraw the money from the business, and declare the dividend in one go at the end of the year, or should I declare a dividend every time I draw money? the business is being run on a very prudent basis, and will declare sufficient profits to cover the dividends drawn (only asset in the business is a £800 laptop), and I presume this falls into the annual investment allowance and therefore 100% writedown in year 1?
Any thoughts appreciated
- Who would you nominate for a Practice Excellence Award? 136 1
- How to change credit note allocation in Sage 216 9
- How to Value a Business 472 9
- can a CGT transfer be legally cancelled in the future if 130 5
- Simple Ltd company accounts service 539 13
- How much did you pay for your website 480 13
- Companies House 135 2
- HMRC repayment issued, how long till it hits account? 112 1
- Sage Payroll & NIC 380 7
- Company Pension Contributions 257 6
- Gross Profit Percentage 214 4
- Expenses allowable 166 3
- Let Property Campaign 385 6
- Is there anything I should know about Northern Irish companies? 134 1
- Self employment trap - pension 346 3
- Awkward IP 612 9
- ESC A19 129 2
- When does my Property business start 269 4
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 1,536 43
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 868 19
- CTA study material 603
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 593
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 366
- Employment related securities question 224
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 199
- ATED Penalties 196
- AIM Stocks and IHT 176
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 135
- Expat pension contributions? 126
- Trust for Employee 125