Salary vs dividends - have i got this right?
Hi - would really appreciate a bit of short sage advice please, - I know that some of you are likely to say that I should go and see a professional, and I will, but, I'd just like to get a feeling for if I am already in the wrong, and what the suggested route would be.
I have a ltd co, of which I am the sole director. Income is sporadic, and tends to come in lump sums. Thus far I have withdrawn about 70% of the income received on the basis that I would claim this as a dividend, - and these payouts have been irregular in both timings and amounts.
I also have a paid, separate, employment that utilises my personal allowance and puts me in the higher PAYE tax bracket.
What would be the general recommended course of action? Of course I would like to minimise, legally, my tax liability. Should I start paying a salary from my ltd co, but that would obviously attract EE/Eer NI, and PAYE at 40%, which seems inefficient. Can I withdraw the money from the business, and declare the dividend in one go at the end of the year, or should I declare a dividend every time I draw money? the business is being run on a very prudent basis, and will declare sufficient profits to cover the dividends drawn (only asset in the business is a £800 laptop), and I presume this falls into the annual investment allowance and therefore 100% writedown in year 1?
Any thoughts appreciated
- Refusing to complete a tax return 103 4
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 368 12
- What sectors to target? 252 9
- Online Payroll with Auto Enrolment 131 2
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 857 31
- IHT and cash gifts 150 4
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 693 32
- Practice management 197 3
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 359 1
- Teacher doing marking - tax deducted 422 4
- Flat Conversion Allowance 82 1
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 245 4
- Conversion from UK GAAP to IFRS 96 1
- Childcare voucher schemes 167 7
- Clothing 255 4
- VAT registration transfer 173 3
- Sponsorship & VAT 110 1
- CT/CO'S HOUSE DATES ALLIGNMENT 163 2
- Director drawings 451 31
- IRIS opentax login problems?! 326 3
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 910
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 619
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 583
- Latest phishing scam 544
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 383
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 285
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 206
- Capital allowances in first basis period 194
- Sabbatical payments 182
- Negligible Value Claim 159