Second Hand Fixtures
My client is in the process on purchasing a second hand commercial building within which are contained a number of integral fixtures such as lifts.
The seller is a property developer and as such has held the property in trading stock throughout the ownership period (owned since pre April 2012). Therefore no capital allowances have been available to be claimed by the seller.
Upon purchase, my client would like to claim capital allowances however the legislation contained within FA2012 must be considered for himself (and future potential claimants) however it is not clear to me what the requirements are in this situation.
No valid S198 election is possible as the seller was not entitled to claim capital allowances and so brings no disposal value in under CAA2001 S196 however where does this leave my client, the purchaser in respect of future claims and expenditure to claim allowances on?
The seller previusly bought the property from a receivor and to their knowledge no one previously has claimed capital allowances on these fixtures, however this is not known with any certainty.
Is it just a matter of obtaining a fair value apportionment of the fixtures value and then allowances are available to the purchaser on this value? Is this the only requirement even though it is not known whether any claims have previously been made?
Thanks in advance for any thoughts.....
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,318 17
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 115 3
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 246 15
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 289 9
- Cars Leased primarily for Taxi Hire 142 1
- VAT on digital streaming of my company's music? 144 2
- Can a sole-trader make pension contributions to avoid loss of personal allowance? 183 5
- Does this annoy anyone else ? 3,251 42
- Recharge for private use of a company car 129 2
- Bloomsbury Professional tax books 114 1
- IR35 - it it worth worrying about any more? 382 7
- Wear and tear allowance 451 10
- CIS deductions against the wrong UTR 199 6
- Residency test 199 4
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 243 3
- VAT Turnover 140 1
- HMRC - No Deadline to Respond? 147 1
- Recording fuel VAT adjustment in Sage 134 4
- Company purchase of shares 291 16
- Pension contributions and unused allowances 144 2
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 690
- Auto enrolment excuses 664
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 366
- Social investment tax relief 181
- Call Centre Data Costs 178
- Digita Hosted Software 176
- option to tax 161
- VAT on deposits 148
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 136
- Travel costs and contractors 132