Second Hand Fixtures
My client is in the process on purchasing a second hand commercial building within which are contained a number of integral fixtures such as lifts.
The seller is a property developer and as such has held the property in trading stock throughout the ownership period (owned since pre April 2012). Therefore no capital allowances have been available to be claimed by the seller.
Upon purchase, my client would like to claim capital allowances however the legislation contained within FA2012 must be considered for himself (and future potential claimants) however it is not clear to me what the requirements are in this situation.
No valid S198 election is possible as the seller was not entitled to claim capital allowances and so brings no disposal value in under CAA2001 S196 however where does this leave my client, the purchaser in respect of future claims and expenditure to claim allowances on?
The seller previusly bought the property from a receivor and to their knowledge no one previously has claimed capital allowances on these fixtures, however this is not known with any certainty.
Is it just a matter of obtaining a fair value apportionment of the fixtures value and then allowances are available to the purchaser on this value? Is this the only requirement even though it is not known whether any claims have previously been made?
Thanks in advance for any thoughts.....
- Any Scottish members out there? 10,402 385
- P11D Query 161 5
- Investor wants shares. How does that work? 147 6
- Should he transfer the Van into the company ? 140 1
- How can customer service quality vary between the basic pension firms? 93 1
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 1,255 24
- What is the role of an accountant? 500 14
- Why Shoebuy Coupon Shopping Made Easy With These Expert Tips? 265 7
- 100% Xero practice 2,280 42
- More stupid generic notices from HMRC on RTI 123 1
- Difference of Sales Invoices and Bank receipts for Sales 174 6
- VAT registration pre-incorporation- wait for TOGC or treat as sale? 111 1
- Scottish but not UK 323 9
- Pension Contributions Relief 290 10
- A question for the payroll-only bureau's out there 263 1
- Out of Date Returns, CIS and Determination 101 3
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,327 25
- Company Accounts 444 8
- QuickBooks - Separating expenses from purchases 106 2
- Lexis Nexis 3 Month Cancellation Notice 300 7
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,221
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 430
- National Insurance 332
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 326
- Non Resident 254
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 250
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 244
- Franchise income and costs 219
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 154
- Hands on experience of Digita 152