Second Hand Fixtures
My client is in the process on purchasing a second hand commercial building within which are contained a number of integral fixtures such as lifts.
The seller is a property developer and as such has held the property in trading stock throughout the ownership period (owned since pre April 2012). Therefore no capital allowances have been available to be claimed by the seller.
Upon purchase, my client would like to claim capital allowances however the legislation contained within FA2012 must be considered for himself (and future potential claimants) however it is not clear to me what the requirements are in this situation.
No valid S198 election is possible as the seller was not entitled to claim capital allowances and so brings no disposal value in under CAA2001 S196 however where does this leave my client, the purchaser in respect of future claims and expenditure to claim allowances on?
The seller previusly bought the property from a receivor and to their knowledge no one previously has claimed capital allowances on these fixtures, however this is not known with any certainty.
Is it just a matter of obtaining a fair value apportionment of the fixtures value and then allowances are available to the purchaser on this value? Is this the only requirement even though it is not known whether any claims have previously been made?
Thanks in advance for any thoughts.....
- Carrying forward self employment losses 130 6
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 116 6
- client can't/won't pay 1,739 33
- Child Benefit Higher Income Tax Charge 65 2
- how much to charge 223 6
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 335 16
- Charities and VAT 129 11
- Rental losses 79 2
- EIS reinvestment relief 190 13
- VAT on Vocational Training Courses supplied to a Charity Org? 159 3
- HMRC SA system 87 2
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 1,495 53
- Company dividends 860 36
- Anybody received an Employer Payment Booklet for 2015-2016? 174 5
- Simplified use of home - contradiction 80 2
- Reporting foreign income in Self-Assessment Tax Return 88 2
- Warning! Cannot pay SA tax at Post Office 845 23
- White van man 996 30
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,390 16
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 767 28
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 897
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 594
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 563
- Latest phishing scam 519
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 368
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 336
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 274
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 193
- Capital allowances in first basis period 173
- Sabbatical payments 167