Please could you help me with a few questions regarding my self assessment form.
1. I have invested £10k into an EIS investment scheme but have only paid about £2000 income tax in the last tax year. When the self assessment forms asks me how much EIS investment I'm claiming, should I enter £6666.66 (therefore giving a tax relief of £2000 at 30%)? And then can I claim the remaining investment of £3333.33 in the next tax year?
2. I entered the student loan repayments deducted by my employer as about £850, but the self assessment calculation shows a student loan repayment charge of £1200. How can this be?
3. Does the extra £150 from question 2 get sent to credit my account at the student loan company? I thought they were two completely seperate organisations?
4. Someone told me that I'm not obliged to declare any student loan information on the self-assessment due to information protection - i.e. my agreement with the student loan company is none of HMRC's business?
5. My P60 has a figure for "Tax deducted" - is this income tax plus national insurance but excluding student loan repayments? - I don't see any reference to national insurance on the self-assessment's detailed tax calculation so how does it know how much is eligible to be paid back for the EIS invesment tax rebate (given that only income tax, and not national insurance, can be claimed back).
Many thank you for your help,
- Hobby Horse 795 8
- Non resident income. 451 20
- What sectors to target? 611 30
- FYAs on second-hand vans 260 7
- Rent a room scheme query. 192 3
- client can't/won't pay 1,938 41
- Self assesment online 996 11
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 267 21
- Why do I do this every year 418 9
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 306 5
- closing limited company 188 2
- VAT when selling on Amazon 105 1
- HMRC filing meltdown? 524 14
- Childcare voucher schemes 256 9
- IHT and US resident 74 1
- Limited Companies Merger 213 6
- Incidental costs of Acquisition for inherited property/shares 142 1
- Practice management 387 7
- IHT and cash gifts 254 5
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 570 13
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 935
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 652
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 602
- Latest phishing scam 580
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 418
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 315
- Scratch Head 242
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 237
- Sabbatical payments 200
- Negligible Value Claim 176