Please could you help me with a few questions regarding my self assessment form.
1. I have invested £10k into an EIS investment scheme but have only paid about £2000 income tax in the last tax year. When the self assessment forms asks me how much EIS investment I'm claiming, should I enter £6666.66 (therefore giving a tax relief of £2000 at 30%)? And then can I claim the remaining investment of £3333.33 in the next tax year?
2. I entered the student loan repayments deducted by my employer as about £850, but the self assessment calculation shows a student loan repayment charge of £1200. How can this be?
3. Does the extra £150 from question 2 get sent to credit my account at the student loan company? I thought they were two completely seperate organisations?
4. Someone told me that I'm not obliged to declare any student loan information on the self-assessment due to information protection - i.e. my agreement with the student loan company is none of HMRC's business?
5. My P60 has a figure for "Tax deducted" - is this income tax plus national insurance but excluding student loan repayments? - I don't see any reference to national insurance on the self-assessment's detailed tax calculation so how does it know how much is eligible to be paid back for the EIS invesment tax rebate (given that only income tax, and not national insurance, can be claimed back).
Many thank you for your help,
- Capital allowances or revenue is capital? 84 1
- any implications of this type of transaction 50 1
- How much did you pay for your website 1,685 28
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 97 3
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 285 11
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 1,031 13
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 262 7
- Sage data 104 1
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 422 9
- Limited company buying a car 362 6
- Funding Circle experience 155 3
- Excel query 120 2
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,293 13
- Payment on account penalties 129 3
- Tax on free shares 145 5
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 208 3
- Capital allowances on sale and puchase of business assets 127 1
- Audit 492 14
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 129 3
- Buying a horse?? 431 12
- CTA study material 805
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 496
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 461
- Employment related securities question 323
- AIM Stocks and IHT 311
- Expat pension contributions? 282
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 281
- Trust for Employee 257
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 233
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 161