Please could you help me with a few questions regarding my self assessment form.
1. I have invested £10k into an EIS investment scheme but have only paid about £2000 income tax in the last tax year. When the self assessment forms asks me how much EIS investment I'm claiming, should I enter £6666.66 (therefore giving a tax relief of £2000 at 30%)? And then can I claim the remaining investment of £3333.33 in the next tax year?
2. I entered the student loan repayments deducted by my employer as about £850, but the self assessment calculation shows a student loan repayment charge of £1200. How can this be?
3. Does the extra £150 from question 2 get sent to credit my account at the student loan company? I thought they were two completely seperate organisations?
4. Someone told me that I'm not obliged to declare any student loan information on the self-assessment due to information protection - i.e. my agreement with the student loan company is none of HMRC's business?
5. My P60 has a figure for "Tax deducted" - is this income tax plus national insurance but excluding student loan repayments? - I don't see any reference to national insurance on the self-assessment's detailed tax calculation so how does it know how much is eligible to be paid back for the EIS invesment tax rebate (given that only income tax, and not national insurance, can be claimed back).
Many thank you for your help,
- Bench-marking software, any ideas? 9 1
- Not renewing AAT 618 8
- Self-assessment statistics 2,411 56
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,718 51
- New dividend taxation 331 2
- Co purchase printed materials from EU - VAT 107 1
- Company car v company allowance 212 1
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 423 9
- Company formation and bank account 363 9
- Next Move 638 18
- Owning overseas property 302 2
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 280 1
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 219 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 688 8
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 638 9
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 240 2
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 417 8
- OneNote is fantastic 577 11
- VAT Direct Debit 389 7
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 474 8
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 664
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 405
- Property letting & CAs 396
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 391
- 2015 tax year end 388
- FCA regulated company in a small group 344
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 309
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 238
- DTA tie-breaker issue 209
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 204