Please could you help me with a few questions regarding my self assessment form.
1. I have invested £10k into an EIS investment scheme but have only paid about £2000 income tax in the last tax year. When the self assessment forms asks me how much EIS investment I'm claiming, should I enter £6666.66 (therefore giving a tax relief of £2000 at 30%)? And then can I claim the remaining investment of £3333.33 in the next tax year?
2. I entered the student loan repayments deducted by my employer as about £850, but the self assessment calculation shows a student loan repayment charge of £1200. How can this be?
3. Does the extra £150 from question 2 get sent to credit my account at the student loan company? I thought they were two completely seperate organisations?
4. Someone told me that I'm not obliged to declare any student loan information on the self-assessment due to information protection - i.e. my agreement with the student loan company is none of HMRC's business?
5. My P60 has a figure for "Tax deducted" - is this income tax plus national insurance but excluding student loan repayments? - I don't see any reference to national insurance on the self-assessment's detailed tax calculation so how does it know how much is eligible to be paid back for the EIS invesment tax rebate (given that only income tax, and not national insurance, can be claimed back).
Many thank you for your help,
- Directors bonus 191 3
- VAT GUIDE - 22-25 AGENTS OR EQUIVALENT 343 6
- HMRC Getting Extra Tough? 1,464 12
- Output tax for retailer 215 5
- HMRC Unpaid Debt Collector 344 7
- Formating cells in Excel 131 2
- PPR for non-residents after 05 Apr 2015 169 4
- What expenses to claim for painter/decorator working from home base 137 2
- Takeover of Annual PAYE scheme 169 3
- Relocation expense claim 133 1
- ICAS GPPM 84 1
- Payroll 279 7
- Buying fees 714 5
- IHT Query 451 11
- Audit and paypal balances 187 7
- Missing C79 172 5
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 504 16
- VAT margin scheme 277 14
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 336 8
- How to walk away without questions 2,780 17
- Possible Partnership? 562
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 558
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 485
- New Fangled Penalties 362
- Clubs and Taxable Income 297
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 281
- Loans to other companies 224
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 217
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 185
- Outsource Data Entry 183