Please could you help me with a few questions regarding my self assessment form.
1. I have invested £10k into an EIS investment scheme but have only paid about £2000 income tax in the last tax year. When the self assessment forms asks me how much EIS investment I'm claiming, should I enter £6666.66 (therefore giving a tax relief of £2000 at 30%)? And then can I claim the remaining investment of £3333.33 in the next tax year?
2. I entered the student loan repayments deducted by my employer as about £850, but the self assessment calculation shows a student loan repayment charge of £1200. How can this be?
3. Does the extra £150 from question 2 get sent to credit my account at the student loan company? I thought they were two completely seperate organisations?
4. Someone told me that I'm not obliged to declare any student loan information on the self-assessment due to information protection - i.e. my agreement with the student loan company is none of HMRC's business?
5. My P60 has a figure for "Tax deducted" - is this income tax plus national insurance but excluding student loan repayments? - I don't see any reference to national insurance on the self-assessment's detailed tax calculation so how does it know how much is eligible to be paid back for the EIS invesment tax rebate (given that only income tax, and not national insurance, can be claimed back).
Many thank you for your help,
- Excel: MATCH does not match two apparently identical cells 828 8
- capital gains on PPR 252 14
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 369 14
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,817 443
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 214 4
- Claiming depreciation on a company vehicle 185 7
- WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TAX EFFICIENT WAY TO SELL 40% SHARES IN YOUR START UP BUSINESS FOR APPROXIMATELY 1 MILLION POUNDS 184 2
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,300 62
- Company expansion 103 1
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 382 6
- Pension Contributions Relief 502 15
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 526 8
- 100% Xero practice 2,482 46
- Fees for Property Tax Return 262 6
- Can I calculate a total amount on my freelance tax relief? 196 1
- Separating business for VAT purposes 176 2
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 300 9
- PRR 373 13
- 40% rule for travel expenses 416 11
- Cash injection by shareholder 325 7
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,314
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 480
- National Insurance 373
- Non Resident 298
- Franchise income and costs 264
- Hands on experience of Digita 215
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 192
- Employer's Helpline 167
- employment capital allowances 165
- CIS paid under reg 9 157