Please could you help me with a few questions regarding my self assessment form.
1. I have invested £10k into an EIS investment scheme but have only paid about £2000 income tax in the last tax year. When the self assessment forms asks me how much EIS investment I'm claiming, should I enter £6666.66 (therefore giving a tax relief of £2000 at 30%)? And then can I claim the remaining investment of £3333.33 in the next tax year?
2. I entered the student loan repayments deducted by my employer as about £850, but the self assessment calculation shows a student loan repayment charge of £1200. How can this be?
3. Does the extra £150 from question 2 get sent to credit my account at the student loan company? I thought they were two completely seperate organisations?
4. Someone told me that I'm not obliged to declare any student loan information on the self-assessment due to information protection - i.e. my agreement with the student loan company is none of HMRC's business?
5. My P60 has a figure for "Tax deducted" - is this income tax plus national insurance but excluding student loan repayments? - I don't see any reference to national insurance on the self-assessment's detailed tax calculation so how does it know how much is eligible to be paid back for the EIS invesment tax rebate (given that only income tax, and not national insurance, can be claimed back).
Many thank you for your help,
- Deferral relief 28 1
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 965 14
- Wear and tear allowance 336 5
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 32 1
- Builder Gifted Deposit and capital gains 606 25
- HMRC Enquiry 452 3
- Daily Penalties 2012/13 184 2
- Share swap 81 1
- Cashback 310 2
- another ir35!!!! 181 2
- Subscriptions not on HMRC list of approved bodies 242 1
- Settlement, or any other issues? 77 1
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 91 3
- Buying blocks of fees 364 2
- Practical Query: Entrepreneurs and PPR Reliefs 270 3
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 169 2
- IR35 & Managed Service Companies 259 1
- Previous accountant filed dormant accounts in error 177 1
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 678 24
- Husband and Wife Holiday letting profit split 149 3
- Skandia using wrong address 1,424
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 737
- Any views 672
- HMRC Employers Diary 501
- International interest certificate 414
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 376
- Sale of business 327
- NOVA 237
- Advertising services? 230
- IRIS Open Books problem 220