Self assessment for dubious employment status
If an employer engages a worker under an arrangement that is 100% that of employment, but insists the worker is self employed, what does the employee need to do to ensure compliance?
I do not feel that registering as self employment is correct (as they are not self employed, despite what their employer might want), but as they know they aren't getting tax deducted at source, they therefore know they have untaxed income and thus have a liability to register under SA.
Would it be correct to therefore complete the employment pages and state no tax deducted, and give the employer's details? There is no PAYE scheme in place.
The employee wants to pay taxes due, but is more concerned with NI. They also want to keep their job.
I don't see any merit in shoe-horning this person into self employment in SA as they are just a worker, no real expenses, and indeed they are not truly self employed.
The correct answer is of course, "The employer needs to operate PAYE correctly" but this is not going to happen unless HMRC hit him with a big stick. There is no guarantee that shopping the employer will result in the use of said stick.
I am of course aware of MLR implications, I'm more concerned with the practical issues and how to protect the client.
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 59 2
- Where has Portia gone? 1,722 65
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 238 7
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 367 4
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 271 5
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 240 6
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 900 21
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 190 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 120 1
- Sage line 50 payment before invoice date 192 11
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 396 10
- Property Purchase in Daughters Name 336 9
- Merging my businesses 152 2
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,727 73
- Spousal transfer and PPR 518 16
- VAT on commercial property 159 3
- Rogue Accountant 3,055 49
- deceased creditor 213 5
- Corporate member of LLP 283 1
- Investment company 276 6
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 782
- RTI - duplicate employee record 542
- Pensions Regulator 445
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 405
- Sage Vat return box 2 309
- Sanzar 306
- Digital marketing focus group 291
- How do you do it 280
- Portia ... Where art thou 276
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 260