Self assessment for dubious employment status
If an employer engages a worker under an arrangement that is 100% that of employment, but insists the worker is self employed, what does the employee need to do to ensure compliance?
I do not feel that registering as self employment is correct (as they are not self employed, despite what their employer might want), but as they know they aren't getting tax deducted at source, they therefore know they have untaxed income and thus have a liability to register under SA.
Would it be correct to therefore complete the employment pages and state no tax deducted, and give the employer's details? There is no PAYE scheme in place.
The employee wants to pay taxes due, but is more concerned with NI. They also want to keep their job.
I don't see any merit in shoe-horning this person into self employment in SA as they are just a worker, no real expenses, and indeed they are not truly self employed.
The correct answer is of course, "The employer needs to operate PAYE correctly" but this is not going to happen unless HMRC hit him with a big stick. There is no guarantee that shopping the employer will result in the use of said stick.
I am of course aware of MLR implications, I'm more concerned with the practical issues and how to protect the client.
- CGT history of shares 175 4
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 138 5
- Client Entertainment to get new business or referral as opposed to say thanks 172 3
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 335 6
- CGT on sale of let property 113 2
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 178 2
- how do i get UTR 140 3
- Input VAT suffered in EU 88 2
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 238 3
- A round of applause please for winner of BITCH OF THE 413 11
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 131 1
- Your comments please 314 6
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 191 9
- CT600 deadline & shortened year end 126 2
- EIS 198 4
- Income Splitting - form 17 and DoT 130 1
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 115 2
- Transfer of Software to sister company 127 1
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 728 14
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 207 1
- Moving away from CCH software 969
- QROP pension input amounts 453
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 398
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 383
- fraud 306
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 281
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 246
- Construction CIS LLP Company 231
- EPS and CIS deductions 224
- Out of time or not? 210