Self assessment for dubious employment status
If an employer engages a worker under an arrangement that is 100% that of employment, but insists the worker is self employed, what does the employee need to do to ensure compliance?
I do not feel that registering as self employment is correct (as they are not self employed, despite what their employer might want), but as they know they aren't getting tax deducted at source, they therefore know they have untaxed income and thus have a liability to register under SA.
Would it be correct to therefore complete the employment pages and state no tax deducted, and give the employer's details? There is no PAYE scheme in place.
The employee wants to pay taxes due, but is more concerned with NI. They also want to keep their job.
I don't see any merit in shoe-horning this person into self employment in SA as they are just a worker, no real expenses, and indeed they are not truly self employed.
The correct answer is of course, "The employer needs to operate PAYE correctly" but this is not going to happen unless HMRC hit him with a big stick. There is no guarantee that shopping the employer will result in the use of said stick.
I am of course aware of MLR implications, I'm more concerned with the practical issues and how to protect the client.
- Which address 1,039 12
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 562 20
- MS Surface Pro 3 68 1
- Financial statements in Word, with formulas 1,466 17
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,056 35
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,199 44
- R&D tax claim 248 7
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 522 9
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 176 7
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 128 2
- Gift to employee 373 12
- Tax Allowance on University Course 160 1
- Transfer of a business 126 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,138 22
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 415 8
- VAT Cross Border Invoicing 116 2
- Sage Import Data 312 6
- Slight twist on employment related securities 245 1
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 132 2
- Best time software for small practice? 237 2
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 482
- CTA study material 456
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 335
- Pre incorp expenses 313
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 270
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 255
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 208
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 161
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 143
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 135