Self assessment for dubious employment status
If an employer engages a worker under an arrangement that is 100% that of employment, but insists the worker is self employed, what does the employee need to do to ensure compliance?
I do not feel that registering as self employment is correct (as they are not self employed, despite what their employer might want), but as they know they aren't getting tax deducted at source, they therefore know they have untaxed income and thus have a liability to register under SA.
Would it be correct to therefore complete the employment pages and state no tax deducted, and give the employer's details? There is no PAYE scheme in place.
The employee wants to pay taxes due, but is more concerned with NI. They also want to keep their job.
I don't see any merit in shoe-horning this person into self employment in SA as they are just a worker, no real expenses, and indeed they are not truly self employed.
The correct answer is of course, "The employer needs to operate PAYE correctly" but this is not going to happen unless HMRC hit him with a big stick. There is no guarantee that shopping the employer will result in the use of said stick.
I am of course aware of MLR implications, I'm more concerned with the practical issues and how to protect the client.
- Cocaine anyone? 274 5
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 16 1
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 64 3
- How much of your work is admin? 1,148 10
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,485 22
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 853 26
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 290 4
- ACCA - still making me laugh 481 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 263 1
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 342 11
- Tax return software for remote working 490 4
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 575 9
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 464 9
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 455 9
- How to purchase business premises? 189 2
- Will I need to resign? 849 10
- Childcare vouchers 201 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 281 5
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 303 6
- VAT avoidance? 250 4
- Hive up 477
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 440
- corporate hierarchy 418
- Advice - 251
- Amortisation of Goodwill 225
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 213
- WWOOFers 206
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 196
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 188
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 183