Self assessment for dubious employment status
If an employer engages a worker under an arrangement that is 100% that of employment, but insists the worker is self employed, what does the employee need to do to ensure compliance?
I do not feel that registering as self employment is correct (as they are not self employed, despite what their employer might want), but as they know they aren't getting tax deducted at source, they therefore know they have untaxed income and thus have a liability to register under SA.
Would it be correct to therefore complete the employment pages and state no tax deducted, and give the employer's details? There is no PAYE scheme in place.
The employee wants to pay taxes due, but is more concerned with NI. They also want to keep their job.
I don't see any merit in shoe-horning this person into self employment in SA as they are just a worker, no real expenses, and indeed they are not truly self employed.
The correct answer is of course, "The employer needs to operate PAYE correctly" but this is not going to happen unless HMRC hit him with a big stick. There is no guarantee that shopping the employer will result in the use of said stick.
I am of course aware of MLR implications, I'm more concerned with the practical issues and how to protect the client.
- Help with Mortgage Application? 466 6
- planning to be self employed bookkeeper what do i need to do before i start? 148 3
- Any Scottish members out there? 7,597 283
- Disclosure of pending convertible loan notes? 209 10
- Standard 'email' template system 872 14
- New Client in dispute with old accountant 454 9
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,020 14
- How to complete annual VAT return online? 213 4
- Irish VAT Deferred payment 83 1
- Circular shareholding 227 6
- Starting as sole trader from abroad 183 6
- business card address 293 8
- VAT relief eligibilty for charity buying minibus 212 2
- Declined for business bank account 211 4
- Loan to a related company 99 1
- Artificially reducing profits by bonus accrual 655 26
- Repairs after a rental business ends 331 10
- Can anyone recommend a good document scanner? 261 8
- property rental income split 121 1
- Expenses of overseas employment 135 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,112
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 365
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 300
- National Insurance 269
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 239
- Payments on account coded out?? 228
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 220
- Non Resident 186
- Franchise income and costs 175
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 173