Self assessment for dubious employment status
If an employer engages a worker under an arrangement that is 100% that of employment, but insists the worker is self employed, what does the employee need to do to ensure compliance?
I do not feel that registering as self employment is correct (as they are not self employed, despite what their employer might want), but as they know they aren't getting tax deducted at source, they therefore know they have untaxed income and thus have a liability to register under SA.
Would it be correct to therefore complete the employment pages and state no tax deducted, and give the employer's details? There is no PAYE scheme in place.
The employee wants to pay taxes due, but is more concerned with NI. They also want to keep their job.
I don't see any merit in shoe-horning this person into self employment in SA as they are just a worker, no real expenses, and indeed they are not truly self employed.
The correct answer is of course, "The employer needs to operate PAYE correctly" but this is not going to happen unless HMRC hit him with a big stick. There is no guarantee that shopping the employer will result in the use of said stick.
I am of course aware of MLR implications, I'm more concerned with the practical issues and how to protect the client.
- Goodwill ammortisation 209 2
- Overpayment relief claim 84 4
- How to prepare and Finalize Vat company accounts 202 9
- Related Parties Note 359 7
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,504 63
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 495 28
- Charity reserves 103 2
- SAGE con 123 1
- Aggressive HMRC 1,443 16
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 475 8
- Test purchases in VAT enquiries 115 1
- Aweb Fantasy Practice 1,233 19
- do I have to pay NI? 252 4
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 94 3
- rates of pay query 138 1
- Flat rate vat error 406 8
- Can you recognize revenue on asset sold and bought back at a later stage? 94 2
- How to format a stock book 393 2
- Can you get tax deduction for legal fees on sale of debtors 266 8
- Investment property company accounts template 262 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 994
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 539
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 356
- Tax efficient holding company structure 284
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 268
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 209
- Charge out rates in London? 201
- Personal consumption by landlord 177
- Pension contributions higher rate extension? 176
- Interest on Loan to a Company 168