Self assessment for dubious employment status
If an employer engages a worker under an arrangement that is 100% that of employment, but insists the worker is self employed, what does the employee need to do to ensure compliance?
I do not feel that registering as self employment is correct (as they are not self employed, despite what their employer might want), but as they know they aren't getting tax deducted at source, they therefore know they have untaxed income and thus have a liability to register under SA.
Would it be correct to therefore complete the employment pages and state no tax deducted, and give the employer's details? There is no PAYE scheme in place.
The employee wants to pay taxes due, but is more concerned with NI. They also want to keep their job.
I don't see any merit in shoe-horning this person into self employment in SA as they are just a worker, no real expenses, and indeed they are not truly self employed.
The correct answer is of course, "The employer needs to operate PAYE correctly" but this is not going to happen unless HMRC hit him with a big stick. There is no guarantee that shopping the employer will result in the use of said stick.
I am of course aware of MLR implications, I'm more concerned with the practical issues and how to protect the client.
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 341 8
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,405 47
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 162 3
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 432 12
- Share premium or Directors Loan 733 30
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 108 3
- What would you do in this situation? 143 5
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 134 2
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 603 13
- More HMRC on gov.uk 637 11
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 88 1
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 342 14
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 244 4
- Research and development - repayment timescale 220 5
- Sole trader hid directorships. 391 6
- NOVA 555 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 275 10
- Regional Development Grant 125 4
- Problem ex client...again.. 2,418 21
- Company car without a salary 235 2
- Bonus Bonds 391
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 378
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 289
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 259
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 187
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 179
- Finance Lease 157
- Company Car Lease 154
- Form 42 149
- Demerger Reserve 132