Self assessment for dubious employment status
If an employer engages a worker under an arrangement that is 100% that of employment, but insists the worker is self employed, what does the employee need to do to ensure compliance?
I do not feel that registering as self employment is correct (as they are not self employed, despite what their employer might want), but as they know they aren't getting tax deducted at source, they therefore know they have untaxed income and thus have a liability to register under SA.
Would it be correct to therefore complete the employment pages and state no tax deducted, and give the employer's details? There is no PAYE scheme in place.
The employee wants to pay taxes due, but is more concerned with NI. They also want to keep their job.
I don't see any merit in shoe-horning this person into self employment in SA as they are just a worker, no real expenses, and indeed they are not truly self employed.
The correct answer is of course, "The employer needs to operate PAYE correctly" but this is not going to happen unless HMRC hit him with a big stick. There is no guarantee that shopping the employer will result in the use of said stick.
I am of course aware of MLR implications, I'm more concerned with the practical issues and how to protect the client.
- Using a Business broker to sell a clients Company.....??? 134 3
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 345 14
- VAT on Microsoft Office Accounting Professional 2009 196 2
- Easy way to not pay tax 106 4
- Builder using cash labour 104 1
- Surcharges on very late VAT 212 3
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 434 11
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 267 10
- Was I rude 814 20
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 319 9
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 217 8
- IRIS Open Books problem 294 1
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 301 7
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 208 6
- Non-compete agreement 189 1
- Expenses claim for non employee 205 1
- Any views 741 1
- IRIS Practice Management 155 2
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 115 2
- Pre- trading Expenses 114 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,487
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 827
- International interest certificate 448
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 423
- Sale of business 397
- NOVA 299
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 210
- Bonus Bonds 180
- Management expenses for investment company 178
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 172