Self assessment for dubious employment status
If an employer engages a worker under an arrangement that is 100% that of employment, but insists the worker is self employed, what does the employee need to do to ensure compliance?
I do not feel that registering as self employment is correct (as they are not self employed, despite what their employer might want), but as they know they aren't getting tax deducted at source, they therefore know they have untaxed income and thus have a liability to register under SA.
Would it be correct to therefore complete the employment pages and state no tax deducted, and give the employer's details? There is no PAYE scheme in place.
The employee wants to pay taxes due, but is more concerned with NI. They also want to keep their job.
I don't see any merit in shoe-horning this person into self employment in SA as they are just a worker, no real expenses, and indeed they are not truly self employed.
The correct answer is of course, "The employer needs to operate PAYE correctly" but this is not going to happen unless HMRC hit him with a big stick. There is no guarantee that shopping the employer will result in the use of said stick.
I am of course aware of MLR implications, I'm more concerned with the practical issues and how to protect the client.
- Creative Auto Enrolment 571 8
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,714 38
- Tax Fines - HMRC 874 15
- Can an owner hold company money 318 6
- Account and Taxable Profit 310 17
- Accounting for corporation tax 231 6
- Class 2 NIC 279 5
- Probate services 428 9
- Is self-employment "another job" for PAYE 394 7
- Vat payable on van 169 1
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,834 42
- Invoices raised after company dissolution 245 7
- Community Faux Pas 932 26
- Cash gift from India 149 1
- Is cloud accounting actually pretty pants? 2,314 40
- Windows10 205 4
- Taxi Drivers Cost of Sale 627 24
- Digita Accounts Production Advanced - general perception 479 25
- A thursday afternoon muse 247 2
- Barrister "M25 Patch"? 395 6
- ACCA Shenanigans subject of EDM 838
- Benchmark accounting software 691
- Members in Public Practice 515
- Sole trader registering for the first time 328
- Oplex Careers CPD 322
- What are HMRC implying? 306
- VAT 258
- My own & spouse's Irish returns & ROS 248
- Payroll manager and the cloud 220
- Is the APN valid 196