Self assessment for dubious employment status
If an employer engages a worker under an arrangement that is 100% that of employment, but insists the worker is self employed, what does the employee need to do to ensure compliance?
I do not feel that registering as self employment is correct (as they are not self employed, despite what their employer might want), but as they know they aren't getting tax deducted at source, they therefore know they have untaxed income and thus have a liability to register under SA.
Would it be correct to therefore complete the employment pages and state no tax deducted, and give the employer's details? There is no PAYE scheme in place.
The employee wants to pay taxes due, but is more concerned with NI. They also want to keep their job.
I don't see any merit in shoe-horning this person into self employment in SA as they are just a worker, no real expenses, and indeed they are not truly self employed.
The correct answer is of course, "The employer needs to operate PAYE correctly" but this is not going to happen unless HMRC hit him with a big stick. There is no guarantee that shopping the employer will result in the use of said stick.
I am of course aware of MLR implications, I'm more concerned with the practical issues and how to protect the client.
- Tax status of prizes 148 10
- Receiving dividends from a pension fund? 50 5
- Partnership to LLP - Capital Contribution 149 3
- Clogged Losses 170 1
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 51 2
- Import Sales Invoices into Sage Instant 258 4
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 297 9
- Bookkeping software 514 5
- VAT MOSS - e-services query 81 1
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 334 12
- clg 123 3
- SA302's anyone?? 334 12
- Are Sage finally getting it's act together? 135 1
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,419 38
- RTI error - two of the same employer - what to do 299 6
- VAT errors 181 4
- Professional Clearance 490 15
- CIS Deductions 259 7
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 1,334 15
- Auto enrolment 1,335 14
- Skandia using wrong address 1,605
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 888
- International interest certificate 496
- NOVA 359
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 267
- Bonus Bonds 251
- Management expenses for investment company 250
- Help with tax codes on Sage 196
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 161
- tax on apprenticeship income 149