Self assessment for dubious employment status
If an employer engages a worker under an arrangement that is 100% that of employment, but insists the worker is self employed, what does the employee need to do to ensure compliance?
I do not feel that registering as self employment is correct (as they are not self employed, despite what their employer might want), but as they know they aren't getting tax deducted at source, they therefore know they have untaxed income and thus have a liability to register under SA.
Would it be correct to therefore complete the employment pages and state no tax deducted, and give the employer's details? There is no PAYE scheme in place.
The employee wants to pay taxes due, but is more concerned with NI. They also want to keep their job.
I don't see any merit in shoe-horning this person into self employment in SA as they are just a worker, no real expenses, and indeed they are not truly self employed.
The correct answer is of course, "The employer needs to operate PAYE correctly" but this is not going to happen unless HMRC hit him with a big stick. There is no guarantee that shopping the employer will result in the use of said stick.
I am of course aware of MLR implications, I'm more concerned with the practical issues and how to protect the client.
- DEATH OF A SHAREHOLDER NO SHAREHOLDER AGREEMENT 207 3
- Undisclosed income 71 1
- Private Investment Company 115 1
- How familiar are accountants with community interest companies? 60 1
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,629 44
- New company - form a group? 182 3
- Small company audit 107 1
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 272 7
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 780 17
- CIC Company 413 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,679 57
- Is this a scam? 784 8
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 143 1
- Employment allowance (again) :( 351 2
- Mortgage to buy property in limited company 256 5
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 195 4
- PITA client 262 3
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 383 9
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,334 33
- Dividend dates 493 8
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 600
- Cancelled 349
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 334
- Cancelled 286
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 257
- Probiz 245
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 197
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 182
- Car leasing scheme 180
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 169