Self assessment for dubious employment status
If an employer engages a worker under an arrangement that is 100% that of employment, but insists the worker is self employed, what does the employee need to do to ensure compliance?
I do not feel that registering as self employment is correct (as they are not self employed, despite what their employer might want), but as they know they aren't getting tax deducted at source, they therefore know they have untaxed income and thus have a liability to register under SA.
Would it be correct to therefore complete the employment pages and state no tax deducted, and give the employer's details? There is no PAYE scheme in place.
The employee wants to pay taxes due, but is more concerned with NI. They also want to keep their job.
I don't see any merit in shoe-horning this person into self employment in SA as they are just a worker, no real expenses, and indeed they are not truly self employed.
The correct answer is of course, "The employer needs to operate PAYE correctly" but this is not going to happen unless HMRC hit him with a big stick. There is no guarantee that shopping the employer will result in the use of said stick.
I am of course aware of MLR implications, I'm more concerned with the practical issues and how to protect the client.
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 209 3
- Practice management - that old chestnut....... 1,206 19
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 337 6
- Go Cardless 366 10
- Self assessment tax arrears 303 3
- Mehjoo 321 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 103 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 359 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 187 4
- SA302 327 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 289 13
- Bringing money to Uk 285 4
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 213 4
- Hmrc software 249 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 171 1
- Hosted email exchange 186 5
- South African Government Pension 183 1
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 371 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 325 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 253 7
- Xtuple 515
- Qtac payroll for bureau 355
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 298
- Industrial & Provident Societies 292
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 233
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 206
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 203
- Domain name sale and limited company 178
- CIS schemes 175
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 151