Self assessment for dubious employment status
If an employer engages a worker under an arrangement that is 100% that of employment, but insists the worker is self employed, what does the employee need to do to ensure compliance?
I do not feel that registering as self employment is correct (as they are not self employed, despite what their employer might want), but as they know they aren't getting tax deducted at source, they therefore know they have untaxed income and thus have a liability to register under SA.
Would it be correct to therefore complete the employment pages and state no tax deducted, and give the employer's details? There is no PAYE scheme in place.
The employee wants to pay taxes due, but is more concerned with NI. They also want to keep their job.
I don't see any merit in shoe-horning this person into self employment in SA as they are just a worker, no real expenses, and indeed they are not truly self employed.
The correct answer is of course, "The employer needs to operate PAYE correctly" but this is not going to happen unless HMRC hit him with a big stick. There is no guarantee that shopping the employer will result in the use of said stick.
I am of course aware of MLR implications, I'm more concerned with the practical issues and how to protect the client.
- Love is in the air 572 7
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 168 2
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,048 47
- CGT on lost shares/scam 372 4
- Setting up a practice 412 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 519 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 481 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 300 1
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 659 17
- Stamp Duty 294 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 239 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,815 21
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 611 5
- Incorporation of gp practise 298 1
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 263 9
- Client Paperwork Retention? 582 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 587 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 406 4
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 403 9
- Reimbursing director travel costs 462 6
- DTA tie-breaker issue 304
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 294
- CGT for NOn UK residents 281
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 278
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 256
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 241
- Apprenticeship Levy 240
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 225
- Capital Gains personal representatives 221
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 220