Self assessment for dubious employment status
If an employer engages a worker under an arrangement that is 100% that of employment, but insists the worker is self employed, what does the employee need to do to ensure compliance?
I do not feel that registering as self employment is correct (as they are not self employed, despite what their employer might want), but as they know they aren't getting tax deducted at source, they therefore know they have untaxed income and thus have a liability to register under SA.
Would it be correct to therefore complete the employment pages and state no tax deducted, and give the employer's details? There is no PAYE scheme in place.
The employee wants to pay taxes due, but is more concerned with NI. They also want to keep their job.
I don't see any merit in shoe-horning this person into self employment in SA as they are just a worker, no real expenses, and indeed they are not truly self employed.
The correct answer is of course, "The employer needs to operate PAYE correctly" but this is not going to happen unless HMRC hit him with a big stick. There is no guarantee that shopping the employer will result in the use of said stick.
I am of course aware of MLR implications, I'm more concerned with the practical issues and how to protect the client.
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 360 10
- VAT on employee loan 279 5
- Taking over from an on-line accounting firm. Any ideas? 940 18
- Charging VAT on a company loan ?. 95 2
- Accountants website 364 5
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 216 2
- What do you all do in your spare time? 675 29
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 163 5
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 447 8
- Threshold company limited by guarantee. 87 1
- Retrospective VAT Claim 108 1
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,405 20
- SAGE 50 PAYROLL YEAR END 217 5
- Can software startup claim VAT refund during development? 169 6
- Tax implications on building an 'office' 218 2
- VT Final Accounts puts "Cost of Sales - Carriage" and "Cost of Sales - Other Costs" into "Other Costs". Is that compulsory? It seems mad. 200 3
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 717 18
- Partial PPR relief to non-resident after 05 Apr 2015 151 1
- Accounting Package for Projects 93 2
- Purchased Goodwill 161 1
- New Fangled Penalties 1,082
- Moving away from CCH software 936
- QROP pension input amounts 428
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 372
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 344
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 312
- fraud 270
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 240
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 213
- Construction CIS LLP Company 192