Self assessment for dubious employment status
If an employer engages a worker under an arrangement that is 100% that of employment, but insists the worker is self employed, what does the employee need to do to ensure compliance?
I do not feel that registering as self employment is correct (as they are not self employed, despite what their employer might want), but as they know they aren't getting tax deducted at source, they therefore know they have untaxed income and thus have a liability to register under SA.
Would it be correct to therefore complete the employment pages and state no tax deducted, and give the employer's details? There is no PAYE scheme in place.
The employee wants to pay taxes due, but is more concerned with NI. They also want to keep their job.
I don't see any merit in shoe-horning this person into self employment in SA as they are just a worker, no real expenses, and indeed they are not truly self employed.
The correct answer is of course, "The employer needs to operate PAYE correctly" but this is not going to happen unless HMRC hit him with a big stick. There is no guarantee that shopping the employer will result in the use of said stick.
I am of course aware of MLR implications, I'm more concerned with the practical issues and how to protect the client.
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 230 6
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,542 42
- CIC Company 379 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,647 57
- Is this a scam? 754 8
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 113 1
- Employment allowance (again) :( 324 2
- Mortgage to buy property in limited company 232 5
- New company - form a group? 154 2
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 172 4
- PITA client 208 3
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 362 9
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,311 33
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 741 15
- Dividend dates 487 8
- R&D tax credit claim 212 5
- CIS Deductions 271 3
- Estate agent and VAT registration 113 1
- is this fraud? 787 13
- Married woman dies owning marital home 495 5
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 598
- Cancelled 345
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 331
- Cancelled 282
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 254
- Probiz 241
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 185
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 176
- Car leasing scheme 175
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 153