Self assessment for dubious employment status
If an employer engages a worker under an arrangement that is 100% that of employment, but insists the worker is self employed, what does the employee need to do to ensure compliance?
I do not feel that registering as self employment is correct (as they are not self employed, despite what their employer might want), but as they know they aren't getting tax deducted at source, they therefore know they have untaxed income and thus have a liability to register under SA.
Would it be correct to therefore complete the employment pages and state no tax deducted, and give the employer's details? There is no PAYE scheme in place.
The employee wants to pay taxes due, but is more concerned with NI. They also want to keep their job.
I don't see any merit in shoe-horning this person into self employment in SA as they are just a worker, no real expenses, and indeed they are not truly self employed.
The correct answer is of course, "The employer needs to operate PAYE correctly" but this is not going to happen unless HMRC hit him with a big stick. There is no guarantee that shopping the employer will result in the use of said stick.
I am of course aware of MLR implications, I'm more concerned with the practical issues and how to protect the client.
- can a CGT transfer be legally cancelled in the future if 77 4
- Simple Ltd company accounts service 496 12
- How to change credit note allocation in Sage 184 5
- Companies House 49 2
- HMRC repayment issued, how long till it hits account? 90 1
- Sage Payroll & NIC 363 7
- Company Pension Contributions 235 6
- Gross Profit Percentage 145 4
- Expenses allowable 123 3
- How to Value a Business 443 8
- Let Property Campaign 370 6
- Is there anything I should know about Northern Irish companies? 110 1
- Self employment trap - pension 329 3
- Awkward IP 598 9
- ESC A19 115 2
- When does my Property business start 259 4
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 1,529 43
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 862 19
- Preparing a consolidated TB 225 5
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 1,241 20
- CTA study material 593
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 590
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 364
- Employment related securities question 221
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 194
- ATED Penalties 192
- AIM Stocks and IHT 174
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 129
- Trust for Employee 124
- Expat pension contributions? 124