Self assessment for dubious employment status
If an employer engages a worker under an arrangement that is 100% that of employment, but insists the worker is self employed, what does the employee need to do to ensure compliance?
I do not feel that registering as self employment is correct (as they are not self employed, despite what their employer might want), but as they know they aren't getting tax deducted at source, they therefore know they have untaxed income and thus have a liability to register under SA.
Would it be correct to therefore complete the employment pages and state no tax deducted, and give the employer's details? There is no PAYE scheme in place.
The employee wants to pay taxes due, but is more concerned with NI. They also want to keep their job.
I don't see any merit in shoe-horning this person into self employment in SA as they are just a worker, no real expenses, and indeed they are not truly self employed.
The correct answer is of course, "The employer needs to operate PAYE correctly" but this is not going to happen unless HMRC hit him with a big stick. There is no guarantee that shopping the employer will result in the use of said stick.
I am of course aware of MLR implications, I'm more concerned with the practical issues and how to protect the client.
- Distance between Postcodes in Excel 454 6
- Incorrect Generic non-filing notice 207 8
- Am i Liable? 630 17
- Contingent Asset Disclosure 50 2
- Missed Student Loan Contributions 169 4
- Write off of former director's loan 725 11
- What is wrong with HMRC? 105 1
- Employer pension contribution as part of redundancy package 40 2
- Compensation payment and child benefit 52 2
- What leverage do I have with accountants if any? 208 2
- Accommodation allowance - emergency workers 81 1
- RTI 274 7
- HMRC - Generic Notification Notice 62 1
- RTI Easement Until 2016 112 2
- Altered PAYE cheque 386 8
- Does buying a block of fees qualify as goodwill 375 9
- Added years superannuation 106 3
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 810 19
- RTI Student Loan Reconciliation 338 6
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,081 64
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,258
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 620
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 413
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 322
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 232
- Alphabet shares 206
- Agent fees to sell business 198
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 197
- Office recharges 158
- Tax position on lease extension 146