Self assessment for dubious employment status
If an employer engages a worker under an arrangement that is 100% that of employment, but insists the worker is self employed, what does the employee need to do to ensure compliance?
I do not feel that registering as self employment is correct (as they are not self employed, despite what their employer might want), but as they know they aren't getting tax deducted at source, they therefore know they have untaxed income and thus have a liability to register under SA.
Would it be correct to therefore complete the employment pages and state no tax deducted, and give the employer's details? There is no PAYE scheme in place.
The employee wants to pay taxes due, but is more concerned with NI. They also want to keep their job.
I don't see any merit in shoe-horning this person into self employment in SA as they are just a worker, no real expenses, and indeed they are not truly self employed.
The correct answer is of course, "The employer needs to operate PAYE correctly" but this is not going to happen unless HMRC hit him with a big stick. There is no guarantee that shopping the employer will result in the use of said stick.
I am of course aware of MLR implications, I'm more concerned with the practical issues and how to protect the client.
- Starting up in practice - safety net 234 7
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,154 35
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 353 9
- Can Excel sheets be imported into Digita Accounts Production Posting Sheets? 112 1
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 348 11
- How to avoid PAYE Registeration 240 4
- Rental property company 114 1
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 335 7
- Payroo Employer allowance query 266 8
- Enforcing A CCJ 388 7
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 171 1
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 204 2
- Comapny valuation qualifications 152 2
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 510 5
- Director's tax return 402 8
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 189 3
- Flat rate vat 250 2
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 201 5
- Coming in from the cold 405 3
- Splitting the tax year 199 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 823
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 573
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 441
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 321
- Free Tax Legislation? 294
- Director Loan account operation 273
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 263
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 260
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 239
- Paye procedures for CVA 181