Self assessment for dubious employment status
If an employer engages a worker under an arrangement that is 100% that of employment, but insists the worker is self employed, what does the employee need to do to ensure compliance?
I do not feel that registering as self employment is correct (as they are not self employed, despite what their employer might want), but as they know they aren't getting tax deducted at source, they therefore know they have untaxed income and thus have a liability to register under SA.
Would it be correct to therefore complete the employment pages and state no tax deducted, and give the employer's details? There is no PAYE scheme in place.
The employee wants to pay taxes due, but is more concerned with NI. They also want to keep their job.
I don't see any merit in shoe-horning this person into self employment in SA as they are just a worker, no real expenses, and indeed they are not truly self employed.
The correct answer is of course, "The employer needs to operate PAYE correctly" but this is not going to happen unless HMRC hit him with a big stick. There is no guarantee that shopping the employer will result in the use of said stick.
I am of course aware of MLR implications, I'm more concerned with the practical issues and how to protect the client.
- Where has Portia gone? 2,758 78
- RTI - duplicate employee record 575 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 256 10
- Stock of photos to capatilise 81 1
- Share buyback, possible embezzlement 138 4
- Practice management software 1,030 18
- Change if career direction from industry to practice 159 2
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 570 18
- Depreciation of Revalued Building 37 1
- Spousal transfer and PPR 745 32
- Portia ... Where art thou 425 1
- Taxation of serviced offices 204 3
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 775 16
- Write off loan between companies 611 24
- Overseas business trip - accompanied by family 182 2
- Industry Reports 55 1
- recompense capital input 235 12
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,181 22
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 316 8
- Exports/Dispatches - non VAT registered 111 2
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 804
- Pensions Regulator 459
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 418
- Sanzar 319
- How do you do it 308
- Digital marketing focus group 301
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 278
- new investor structure 187
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 174
- Fit for purpose 173