Self assessment for dubious employment status
If an employer engages a worker under an arrangement that is 100% that of employment, but insists the worker is self employed, what does the employee need to do to ensure compliance?
I do not feel that registering as self employment is correct (as they are not self employed, despite what their employer might want), but as they know they aren't getting tax deducted at source, they therefore know they have untaxed income and thus have a liability to register under SA.
Would it be correct to therefore complete the employment pages and state no tax deducted, and give the employer's details? There is no PAYE scheme in place.
The employee wants to pay taxes due, but is more concerned with NI. They also want to keep their job.
I don't see any merit in shoe-horning this person into self employment in SA as they are just a worker, no real expenses, and indeed they are not truly self employed.
The correct answer is of course, "The employer needs to operate PAYE correctly" but this is not going to happen unless HMRC hit him with a big stick. There is no guarantee that shopping the employer will result in the use of said stick.
I am of course aware of MLR implications, I'm more concerned with the practical issues and how to protect the client.
- Limited company built a property and the client has made this messy 265 7
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 540 9
- Transferring rental property to limited company 485 14
- Are there Sage Instant Accounts Plus report which give breakdowns of the debtors and creditors control account balances by invoice for each currency? 103 3
- Time recording 159 3
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 257 4
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 147 2
- Land Registry 272 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 967 13
- Auto Enrolment 673 4
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 808 19
- Company Number 10000000 411 4
- Advertising Tips? 334 7
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,519 29
- IR35 369 5
- Exclusion of single director companies from the Employment Allowance in 2016/17 428 12
- Revenue phishing examples 271 1
- iris update 11.9.2 238 2
- VAT Box 7 and supplies from unregistered traders 452 13
- 2015 tax year end 547 1
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 734
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 435
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 374
- Costly Accounting Software contract 369
- Directors' advances and credits 286
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 260
- DTA tie-breaker issue 251
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 235
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 210
- CGT for NOn UK residents 195