Self assessment for dubious employment status
If an employer engages a worker under an arrangement that is 100% that of employment, but insists the worker is self employed, what does the employee need to do to ensure compliance?
I do not feel that registering as self employment is correct (as they are not self employed, despite what their employer might want), but as they know they aren't getting tax deducted at source, they therefore know they have untaxed income and thus have a liability to register under SA.
Would it be correct to therefore complete the employment pages and state no tax deducted, and give the employer's details? There is no PAYE scheme in place.
The employee wants to pay taxes due, but is more concerned with NI. They also want to keep their job.
I don't see any merit in shoe-horning this person into self employment in SA as they are just a worker, no real expenses, and indeed they are not truly self employed.
The correct answer is of course, "The employer needs to operate PAYE correctly" but this is not going to happen unless HMRC hit him with a big stick. There is no guarantee that shopping the employer will result in the use of said stick.
I am of course aware of MLR implications, I'm more concerned with the practical issues and how to protect the client.
- Trustee in Bankruptcy 97 4
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 164 6
- Is there a requirement to clearly state the amount of a bill? 236 5
- Limited Company trading status. 199 6
- VAT flat rate scheme 41 1
- Issue with a software supplier 105 3
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,543 29
- Alphabet shares dividend paperwork 111 2
- Aquisition Value 96 3
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 363 8
- When should i raise VAT invoice after pro-forma payment received? 420 12
- Dividends 256 3
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 788 13
- Collecting cash on behalf of another business 152 4
- Unpaid Fee's 215 5
- HMRC Getting Extra Tough? 1,275 11
- A very basic T9 or T0 Question... 185 4
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 286 1
- How much to charge? 639 9
- Two questions re client meetings and TR Fees 260 3
- Possible Partnership? 503
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 484
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 460
- New Fangled Penalties 296
- Clubs and Taxable Income 255
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 253
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 243
- Loans to other companies 189
- Tasbook email configuration 178
- Accomodation and travel 172