Self assessment for dubious employment status
If an employer engages a worker under an arrangement that is 100% that of employment, but insists the worker is self employed, what does the employee need to do to ensure compliance?
I do not feel that registering as self employment is correct (as they are not self employed, despite what their employer might want), but as they know they aren't getting tax deducted at source, they therefore know they have untaxed income and thus have a liability to register under SA.
Would it be correct to therefore complete the employment pages and state no tax deducted, and give the employer's details? There is no PAYE scheme in place.
The employee wants to pay taxes due, but is more concerned with NI. They also want to keep their job.
I don't see any merit in shoe-horning this person into self employment in SA as they are just a worker, no real expenses, and indeed they are not truly self employed.
The correct answer is of course, "The employer needs to operate PAYE correctly" but this is not going to happen unless HMRC hit him with a big stick. There is no guarantee that shopping the employer will result in the use of said stick.
I am of course aware of MLR implications, I'm more concerned with the practical issues and how to protect the client.
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 159 3
- Clever way to split cells? 60 2
- VAT Option to tax 519 19
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 150 4
- VAT BOX 6 & 7 errors 210 8
- Director Loan account operation 431 2
- Giving advice to friends / family 206 3
- VAT Box 7 and supplies from unregistered traders 493 16
- Tax implications of soletrader gifting money 60 3
- From Ireland. Self-Employed or Foreign Income? 207 6
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 233 5
- Business travel apps 191 4
- Clarify the tax position 124 2
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 366 5
- Free Tax Legislation? 432 1
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 375 3
- Foreign national, UK resident 137 1
- Director leaving in month 1 261 5
- Secondment expenses 198 6
- Basic RTI - how to re-enter lost data? 94 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 918
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 646
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 357
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 325
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 233
- Paye procedures for CVA 225
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 202
- Pension Fixed Protection 164
- Compliance Checks - Time limits 163
- Expenses Re-imbursed on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 162