Self assessment for dubious employment status
If an employer engages a worker under an arrangement that is 100% that of employment, but insists the worker is self employed, what does the employee need to do to ensure compliance?
I do not feel that registering as self employment is correct (as they are not self employed, despite what their employer might want), but as they know they aren't getting tax deducted at source, they therefore know they have untaxed income and thus have a liability to register under SA.
Would it be correct to therefore complete the employment pages and state no tax deducted, and give the employer's details? There is no PAYE scheme in place.
The employee wants to pay taxes due, but is more concerned with NI. They also want to keep their job.
I don't see any merit in shoe-horning this person into self employment in SA as they are just a worker, no real expenses, and indeed they are not truly self employed.
The correct answer is of course, "The employer needs to operate PAYE correctly" but this is not going to happen unless HMRC hit him with a big stick. There is no guarantee that shopping the employer will result in the use of said stick.
I am of course aware of MLR implications, I'm more concerned with the practical issues and how to protect the client.
- How much does the company pay 58 2
- Help with CGT please 77 3
- Lack of VAT Receipt 108 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 307 6
- Benefit in Kind 289 6
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 317 17
- Will I need to resign? 929 11
- Cocaine anyone? 663 11
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 254 4
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 150 4
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 196 3
- Allocation of Receipt from DWP 180 2
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 845 11
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 547 19
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 716 13
- Personal pension 449 9
- Business rates consultancy 273 4
- Wrong tax code 185 6
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 110 2
- Am I getting Soft?? 337 10
- Hive up 515
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 476
- corporate hierarchy 454
- Advice - 299
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 245
- WWOOFers 240
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 222
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 198
- The booking.com con 182
- Cocaine anyone? 168