Self assessment for dubious employment status
If an employer engages a worker under an arrangement that is 100% that of employment, but insists the worker is self employed, what does the employee need to do to ensure compliance?
I do not feel that registering as self employment is correct (as they are not self employed, despite what their employer might want), but as they know they aren't getting tax deducted at source, they therefore know they have untaxed income and thus have a liability to register under SA.
Would it be correct to therefore complete the employment pages and state no tax deducted, and give the employer's details? There is no PAYE scheme in place.
The employee wants to pay taxes due, but is more concerned with NI. They also want to keep their job.
I don't see any merit in shoe-horning this person into self employment in SA as they are just a worker, no real expenses, and indeed they are not truly self employed.
The correct answer is of course, "The employer needs to operate PAYE correctly" but this is not going to happen unless HMRC hit him with a big stick. There is no guarantee that shopping the employer will result in the use of said stick.
I am of course aware of MLR implications, I'm more concerned with the practical issues and how to protect the client.
- Practice management 412 8
- Clothing 438 10
- Anybody still doing returns? 211 7
- no utr 76 2
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 184 7
- Interest on pre-letting? 87 4
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 51 1
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 1,661 44
- Will simplified micro entities accounts result in loss of business ? 1,685 22
- Rent a room scheme query. 224 4
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 304 13
- File Abbreviated LLP accounts online? 110 6
- Why do I do this every year 566 13
- HMRC filing meltdown? 722 24
- client can't/won't pay 2,023 45
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 318 5
- Self assesment online 1,073 13
- Xero sales report by customer - how? 128 1
- Anybody Use Brightpay 748 20
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 259 11
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 940
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 658
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 606
- Latest phishing scam 587
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 424
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 318
- Scratch Head 253
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 243
- Sabbatical payments 207
- Negligible Value Claim 184