Self assessment for dubious employment status
If an employer engages a worker under an arrangement that is 100% that of employment, but insists the worker is self employed, what does the employee need to do to ensure compliance?
I do not feel that registering as self employment is correct (as they are not self employed, despite what their employer might want), but as they know they aren't getting tax deducted at source, they therefore know they have untaxed income and thus have a liability to register under SA.
Would it be correct to therefore complete the employment pages and state no tax deducted, and give the employer's details? There is no PAYE scheme in place.
The employee wants to pay taxes due, but is more concerned with NI. They also want to keep their job.
I don't see any merit in shoe-horning this person into self employment in SA as they are just a worker, no real expenses, and indeed they are not truly self employed.
The correct answer is of course, "The employer needs to operate PAYE correctly" but this is not going to happen unless HMRC hit him with a big stick. There is no guarantee that shopping the employer will result in the use of said stick.
I am of course aware of MLR implications, I'm more concerned with the practical issues and how to protect the client.
- BrightPay quirks 288 3
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 893 24
- CT600 Software - anyone else having issues? 393 10
- Letter to new accountants and whether to mention criminal conviction. 42 2
- Xerocon 2016 1,294 36
- VAT disaggregation 69 1
- Appointment of director 48 1
- Gift aid procedure please? 499 5
- Claiming annual pension allowance top up in SATR 209 2
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 271 3
- Mortgage Reference 606 8
- Rounding errors on CT600 335 7
- Insovent companies 912 19
- New Build 248 1
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,317 48
- Website Content 234 1
- Personal Tax 666 12
- Starting band for savings - for 2014/2015 229 1
- USA Tax Query 338 2
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 453 5