Self assessment late payment penalty
Has anyone had any success in appealing against a self assessment late payment penalty?
My client has just received a penalty for £400 which represents 5% of the tax that was outstanding for 2010/2011 as at 1 March 2012. The client was late in filing his tax return (filed 4th April 2012) and started making arrangements to try and settle his outstanding tax bill of £8k. He paid 25% of the tax straight away and tried to organise with HMRC a payment plan to settle the rest. HMRC have been very unhelpful regarding this which has led to my client to take out a bank loan at a much higher rate to settle the debt with HMRC asap.
The client understood that he would have a late filing penalty of £100 plus interest, but feels that the additional £400 is unfair and equates to an interest rate of approx 20%!!
My client was self employed for a year (2010/2011) and taxable income was £35k. He was the sole earner in his house at the time as his wife had maternity leave with their second child. My client had suffered £8k of bad debts with one of his customers and as a result returned to employment for most of 2011/2012. I know it is no excuse but as he was only self employed for just one year and suffered a substantial bad debt the money was not there to be paid. I feel that HMRC will not see this as a reason to not impose the penalty but I feel I should try for my client.
Has anyone got any advice on how to appeal against this?
- When to include value of import in Box 7 57 1
- employer pension contributions - OMB company 157 2
- Accounts production software license expiry & possible alternatives 292 7
- Capital gain? 65 3
- Are clients getting more stupid? 1,240 21
- Construction Industry Allowable expenses 258 8
- Recharge for private use of a company car 345 8
- How could I be identified for VAT purposes in UK? 411 8
- vat help for catering concession 272 10
- IHT dilemma 1,153 17
- Tax return software for remote working 228 3
- CGT 329 14
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 317 1
- Interest paid to non-UK company - Deduction 106 2
- Compliance check 506 13
- sole trader accountant 781 14
- Entrepreneurs Relief 397 15
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 602 21
- More AE! 492 11
- How to classify an asset 154 3
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,078
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 776
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 460
- Digita Hosted Software 278
- Call Centre Data Costs 247
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 222
- Credit where credit's due....... 213
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 203
- Married Couples Allowance wasted? 184
- Director phone costs 146