Self assessment late payment penalty
Has anyone had any success in appealing against a self assessment late payment penalty?
My client has just received a penalty for £400 which represents 5% of the tax that was outstanding for 2010/2011 as at 1 March 2012. The client was late in filing his tax return (filed 4th April 2012) and started making arrangements to try and settle his outstanding tax bill of £8k. He paid 25% of the tax straight away and tried to organise with HMRC a payment plan to settle the rest. HMRC have been very unhelpful regarding this which has led to my client to take out a bank loan at a much higher rate to settle the debt with HMRC asap.
The client understood that he would have a late filing penalty of £100 plus interest, but feels that the additional £400 is unfair and equates to an interest rate of approx 20%!!
My client was self employed for a year (2010/2011) and taxable income was £35k. He was the sole earner in his house at the time as his wife had maternity leave with their second child. My client had suffered £8k of bad debts with one of his customers and as a result returned to employment for most of 2011/2012. I know it is no excuse but as he was only self employed for just one year and suffered a substantial bad debt the money was not there to be paid. I feel that HMRC will not see this as a reason to not impose the penalty but I feel I should try for my client.
Has anyone got any advice on how to appeal against this?
- CT/CIS offset 72 2
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 140 4
- Trade name 133 3
- Musician - Allowable Travel expenses 113 1
- Funding Circle Servicing Fee 98 1
- New business - journal entries 285 20
- B2B vat in the EU 96 2
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 305 18
- Why should I retain membership? 2,627 45
- VAT on deposits 195 2
- VAT clearance for determining the correct rate to apply 119 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 379 12
- option to tax 196 1
- Share of profits from building society 79 1
- sage vat journal 77 1
- Coding Notice 103 1
- Free invoicing software 140 2
- BTL property solely in wife's name - can she split rental income with husband? 552 15
- CIS deductions against the wrong UTR 252 7
- Looking for BIK v mileage comparison software 167 2
- Auto enrolment excuses 763
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 702
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 380
- Social investment tax relief 200
- Digita Hosted Software 192
- Call Centre Data Costs 189
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 153
- Travel costs and contractors 143
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 132
- Certificates of tax deposit 130