Self assessment late payment penalty
Has anyone had any success in appealing against a self assessment late payment penalty?
My client has just received a penalty for £400 which represents 5% of the tax that was outstanding for 2010/2011 as at 1 March 2012. The client was late in filing his tax return (filed 4th April 2012) and started making arrangements to try and settle his outstanding tax bill of £8k. He paid 25% of the tax straight away and tried to organise with HMRC a payment plan to settle the rest. HMRC have been very unhelpful regarding this which has led to my client to take out a bank loan at a much higher rate to settle the debt with HMRC asap.
The client understood that he would have a late filing penalty of £100 plus interest, but feels that the additional £400 is unfair and equates to an interest rate of approx 20%!!
My client was self employed for a year (2010/2011) and taxable income was £35k. He was the sole earner in his house at the time as his wife had maternity leave with their second child. My client had suffered £8k of bad debts with one of his customers and as a result returned to employment for most of 2011/2012. I know it is no excuse but as he was only self employed for just one year and suffered a substantial bad debt the money was not there to be paid. I feel that HMRC will not see this as a reason to not impose the penalty but I feel I should try for my client.
Has anyone got any advice on how to appeal against this?
- Can a company claim R&D relief under both the SME and large company schemes? 93 1
- CIS and Xero 260 1
- Mortgage Reference 853 12
- AMAP on borrowed car?? 201 7
- Retrospective VAT Query 130 2
- property capital gains 400 4
- VAT joint margin scheme arrangement 86 1
- Chargeable Event - life insurance bond written in trust 125 2
- FHLs and Entrepreneurs Relief 286 8
- Client gets a penalty and being threatening! 874 9
- Tips on meals 561 5
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 1,335 15
- S.455 Tax again 452 9
- Overdrawn directors loans and insolvent winding up 194 3
- Closing down loss-making company 798 15
- Stumped - IHT 614 8
- Can any cloud accounting package cope with operating a Foreign Branch and UK Head Office? 163 1
- Overpaid In Employers NI - RTI EYU for hundreds of employees 500 3
- Entrepreneur relief and deduction of Amortisation of Goodwill Pre2002 422 14
- co-operatives & Societies 135 1
- ACCA Shenanigans subject of EDM 981
- Members in Public Practice 595
- Oplex Careers CPD 364
- Payroll manager and the cloud 292
- Is the APN valid 240
- Treatment of EIS relate back? 237
- Institute of Customer Services 235
- Kashflow payroll 228
- Class 4 NI due on 2 self employments 224
- Continuity of Practice 206