Self assessment late payment penalty
Has anyone had any success in appealing against a self assessment late payment penalty?
My client has just received a penalty for £400 which represents 5% of the tax that was outstanding for 2010/2011 as at 1 March 2012. The client was late in filing his tax return (filed 4th April 2012) and started making arrangements to try and settle his outstanding tax bill of £8k. He paid 25% of the tax straight away and tried to organise with HMRC a payment plan to settle the rest. HMRC have been very unhelpful regarding this which has led to my client to take out a bank loan at a much higher rate to settle the debt with HMRC asap.
The client understood that he would have a late filing penalty of £100 plus interest, but feels that the additional £400 is unfair and equates to an interest rate of approx 20%!!
My client was self employed for a year (2010/2011) and taxable income was £35k. He was the sole earner in his house at the time as his wife had maternity leave with their second child. My client had suffered £8k of bad debts with one of his customers and as a result returned to employment for most of 2011/2012. I know it is no excuse but as he was only self employed for just one year and suffered a substantial bad debt the money was not there to be paid. I feel that HMRC will not see this as a reason to not impose the penalty but I feel I should try for my client.
Has anyone got any advice on how to appeal against this?
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,134 21
- Overseas business trip - accompanied by family 40 1
- Spousal transfer and PPR 689 30
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 238 8
- recompense capital input 178 11
- Exports/Dispatches - non VAT registered 102 2
- Capital allowances on taxis 219 2
- CT losses carry back 80 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 544 17
- help guys! self employed or still company income? 142 2
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 753 19
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 414 12
- Where has Portia gone? 2,263 68
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 128 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 183 3
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 222 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 989 22
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 201 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 253 5
- Merging my businesses 230 3
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 797
- RTI - duplicate employee record 562
- Pensions Regulator 451
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 413
- Portia ... Where art thou 328
- Sanzar 315
- How do you do it 300
- Digital marketing focus group 298
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 273
- new investor structure 183