Self assessment late payment penalty
Has anyone had any success in appealing against a self assessment late payment penalty?
My client has just received a penalty for £400 which represents 5% of the tax that was outstanding for 2010/2011 as at 1 March 2012. The client was late in filing his tax return (filed 4th April 2012) and started making arrangements to try and settle his outstanding tax bill of £8k. He paid 25% of the tax straight away and tried to organise with HMRC a payment plan to settle the rest. HMRC have been very unhelpful regarding this which has led to my client to take out a bank loan at a much higher rate to settle the debt with HMRC asap.
The client understood that he would have a late filing penalty of £100 plus interest, but feels that the additional £400 is unfair and equates to an interest rate of approx 20%!!
My client was self employed for a year (2010/2011) and taxable income was £35k. He was the sole earner in his house at the time as his wife had maternity leave with their second child. My client had suffered £8k of bad debts with one of his customers and as a result returned to employment for most of 2011/2012. I know it is no excuse but as he was only self employed for just one year and suffered a substantial bad debt the money was not there to be paid. I feel that HMRC will not see this as a reason to not impose the penalty but I feel I should try for my client.
Has anyone got any advice on how to appeal against this?
- PI cover 228 4
- VAT and customer entertaining 209 2
- 2014/15 Tax calculation spread sheet 933 15
- VAT - How hard is it? 723 26
- Profit split from an investment property 156 6
- The importance of Grammar 1,305 39
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,412 39
- supply teachers working through Ltd co 105 1
- Hold on a minute (pun intended) 1,247 10
- Complicated situation with very old balances from previous accountant 159 3
- Tax Implications on Child Benefits 130 1
- IRIS OpenSpace won't upload CT600 properly 274 6
- tax saving on card points 238 6
- Capital Allowances and CGT interaction 261 9
- Scissors 881 24
- AIA for a Van, Self Employed 440 6
- Tax treatment of gift of expensive watch 457 10
- Directors exempt from AE? 262 6
- Availability of Tax Relief on Expenses incurred for Voluntary Work Overseas 126 2
- Xero Pain Points 506 17
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 372
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 321
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 307
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 296
- Electric Car 249
- S222 Charge 218
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 214
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 201
- Company Structure 197
- Does anyone know the name and postal address of HMRC's Data controller? 161