Self assessment late payment penalty
Has anyone had any success in appealing against a self assessment late payment penalty?
My client has just received a penalty for £400 which represents 5% of the tax that was outstanding for 2010/2011 as at 1 March 2012. The client was late in filing his tax return (filed 4th April 2012) and started making arrangements to try and settle his outstanding tax bill of £8k. He paid 25% of the tax straight away and tried to organise with HMRC a payment plan to settle the rest. HMRC have been very unhelpful regarding this which has led to my client to take out a bank loan at a much higher rate to settle the debt with HMRC asap.
The client understood that he would have a late filing penalty of £100 plus interest, but feels that the additional £400 is unfair and equates to an interest rate of approx 20%!!
My client was self employed for a year (2010/2011) and taxable income was £35k. He was the sole earner in his house at the time as his wife had maternity leave with their second child. My client had suffered £8k of bad debts with one of his customers and as a result returned to employment for most of 2011/2012. I know it is no excuse but as he was only self employed for just one year and suffered a substantial bad debt the money was not there to be paid. I feel that HMRC will not see this as a reason to not impose the penalty but I feel I should try for my client.
Has anyone got any advice on how to appeal against this?
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 288 5
- US Sales Tax 100 1
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 353 15
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 187 3
- Simplified auto enrolment? 71 1
- Group Relief 114 4
- R&D Credits 89 1
- Is the annual Money Laundering Payment tax allowable 223 7
- VAT Reg.for sole trader with 2 S/E 83 2
- Clients 661 14
- Advice needed on my practice but not my clients 237 4
- Leaving the flat rate scheme 113 3
- Starting new accounting business 262 5
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 453 10
- Bookkeeping software for cafe and VAT 80 1
- Sage Payroll 93 1
- SAGE 50 - Invoice Date 104 2
- VAT flat rate scheme 424 8
- Tolley UK sales number 210 7
- Intermediaries reporting - who does it apply to? 122 2
- QROP pension input amounts 492
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 476
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 438
- EPS and CIS deductions 293
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 285
- Construction CIS LLP Company 276
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 238
- SAGE winforecast 198
- Lets hear it for HMRC! 190
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 182