Self assessment late payment penalty
Has anyone had any success in appealing against a self assessment late payment penalty?
My client has just received a penalty for £400 which represents 5% of the tax that was outstanding for 2010/2011 as at 1 March 2012. The client was late in filing his tax return (filed 4th April 2012) and started making arrangements to try and settle his outstanding tax bill of £8k. He paid 25% of the tax straight away and tried to organise with HMRC a payment plan to settle the rest. HMRC have been very unhelpful regarding this which has led to my client to take out a bank loan at a much higher rate to settle the debt with HMRC asap.
The client understood that he would have a late filing penalty of £100 plus interest, but feels that the additional £400 is unfair and equates to an interest rate of approx 20%!!
My client was self employed for a year (2010/2011) and taxable income was £35k. He was the sole earner in his house at the time as his wife had maternity leave with their second child. My client had suffered £8k of bad debts with one of his customers and as a result returned to employment for most of 2011/2012. I know it is no excuse but as he was only self employed for just one year and suffered a substantial bad debt the money was not there to be paid. I feel that HMRC will not see this as a reason to not impose the penalty but I feel I should try for my client.
Has anyone got any advice on how to appeal against this?
- Company dividends 133 7
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 210 8
- Death of taxpayer - personal allowance 42 3
- how to reduce student loan payments - taxfiler 262 8
- state pension statement 356 7
- Notice of Coding 0T but not Month 1 219 6
- Use of home deduction 36 1
- Tax return filed on time but payment late 276 4
- When is golf coaching a vatable supply? 99 1
- Worried over stock value 295 7
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,345 25
- SA1 Online 155 2
- What tax to pay 241 3
- Writing down allowance / AIA 237 8
- Backdate C79? 194 3
- Sole Trader using Tax Losses 342 15
- Companies House late filing penalties 2,252 77
- NO HMRC PENALTY 133 1
- EBT via Payroll 143 1
- anyone using Office365 for practice management 887 24
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 835
- Copy Wanted 563
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 514
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 496
- Latest phishing scam 360
- Entrepreneurs' relief 337
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 297
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 293
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 285
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 190