Self assessment late payment penalty
Has anyone had any success in appealing against a self assessment late payment penalty?
My client has just received a penalty for £400 which represents 5% of the tax that was outstanding for 2010/2011 as at 1 March 2012. The client was late in filing his tax return (filed 4th April 2012) and started making arrangements to try and settle his outstanding tax bill of £8k. He paid 25% of the tax straight away and tried to organise with HMRC a payment plan to settle the rest. HMRC have been very unhelpful regarding this which has led to my client to take out a bank loan at a much higher rate to settle the debt with HMRC asap.
The client understood that he would have a late filing penalty of £100 plus interest, but feels that the additional £400 is unfair and equates to an interest rate of approx 20%!!
My client was self employed for a year (2010/2011) and taxable income was £35k. He was the sole earner in his house at the time as his wife had maternity leave with their second child. My client had suffered £8k of bad debts with one of his customers and as a result returned to employment for most of 2011/2012. I know it is no excuse but as he was only self employed for just one year and suffered a substantial bad debt the money was not there to be paid. I feel that HMRC will not see this as a reason to not impose the penalty but I feel I should try for my client.
Has anyone got any advice on how to appeal against this?
- Limited company built a property and the client has made this messy 247 7
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 534 9
- Transferring rental property to limited company 465 14
- Are there Sage Instant Accounts Plus report which give breakdowns of the debtors and creditors control account balances by invoice for each currency? 86 3
- Time recording 132 3
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 257 4
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 127 2
- Land Registry 269 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 966 13
- Auto Enrolment 670 4
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 805 19
- Company Number 10000000 390 4
- Advertising Tips? 315 7
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,517 29
- IR35 368 5
- Exclusion of single director companies from the Employment Allowance in 2016/17 424 12
- Revenue phishing examples 253 1
- iris update 11.9.2 221 2
- VAT Box 7 and supplies from unregistered traders 452 13
- 2015 tax year end 546 1
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 733
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 435
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 374
- Costly Accounting Software contract 368
- Directors' advances and credits 286
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 260
- DTA tie-breaker issue 251
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 235
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 210
- CGT for NOn UK residents 195