Self assessment late payment penalty
Has anyone had any success in appealing against a self assessment late payment penalty?
My client has just received a penalty for £400 which represents 5% of the tax that was outstanding for 2010/2011 as at 1 March 2012. The client was late in filing his tax return (filed 4th April 2012) and started making arrangements to try and settle his outstanding tax bill of £8k. He paid 25% of the tax straight away and tried to organise with HMRC a payment plan to settle the rest. HMRC have been very unhelpful regarding this which has led to my client to take out a bank loan at a much higher rate to settle the debt with HMRC asap.
The client understood that he would have a late filing penalty of £100 plus interest, but feels that the additional £400 is unfair and equates to an interest rate of approx 20%!!
My client was self employed for a year (2010/2011) and taxable income was £35k. He was the sole earner in his house at the time as his wife had maternity leave with their second child. My client had suffered £8k of bad debts with one of his customers and as a result returned to employment for most of 2011/2012. I know it is no excuse but as he was only self employed for just one year and suffered a substantial bad debt the money was not there to be paid. I feel that HMRC will not see this as a reason to not impose the penalty but I feel I should try for my client.
Has anyone got any advice on how to appeal against this?
- Can interest received be netted against interest paid in this scenario? 119 2
- Film Actors - Averaging? 328 9
- Paying Harvest casuals and casual beaters 212 3
- FreeAgent question 104 2
- Retrospectively change VAT scheme? 129 2
- CIS monthly returns 182 2
- Goodie bag 1,555 52
- Husband Wife let property 352 9
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 502 12
- Output tax for retailer 313 8
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 282 3
- 13-14 Payroll return needs to be filed 139 2
- Payroll Software & Auto Enrolement 137 1
- CT600 Advice 138 1
- Fair Value Accounting 80 1
- Client incurring expenses on company car 155 4
- can I approach clients ? 409 8
- Companies House Penalties 147 2
- Apostille documents 117 2
- Budget 2015 predictions 546 13
- Possible Partnership? 644
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 518
- New Fangled Penalties 447
- Fuming! 383
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 318
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 257
- Outsource Data Entry 241
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 236
- Moving away from CCH software 229
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 177