Self assessment late payment penalty
Has anyone had any success in appealing against a self assessment late payment penalty?
My client has just received a penalty for £400 which represents 5% of the tax that was outstanding for 2010/2011 as at 1 March 2012. The client was late in filing his tax return (filed 4th April 2012) and started making arrangements to try and settle his outstanding tax bill of £8k. He paid 25% of the tax straight away and tried to organise with HMRC a payment plan to settle the rest. HMRC have been very unhelpful regarding this which has led to my client to take out a bank loan at a much higher rate to settle the debt with HMRC asap.
The client understood that he would have a late filing penalty of £100 plus interest, but feels that the additional £400 is unfair and equates to an interest rate of approx 20%!!
My client was self employed for a year (2010/2011) and taxable income was £35k. He was the sole earner in his house at the time as his wife had maternity leave with their second child. My client had suffered £8k of bad debts with one of his customers and as a result returned to employment for most of 2011/2012. I know it is no excuse but as he was only self employed for just one year and suffered a substantial bad debt the money was not there to be paid. I feel that HMRC will not see this as a reason to not impose the penalty but I feel I should try for my client.
Has anyone got any advice on how to appeal against this?
- Business Christmas Greetings 961 18
- tax credits 186 7
- Victor Meldrew morning 1,001 17
- EC VAT codes in Sage 50 77 1
- LLP - Member leaving 178 6
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 722 21
- Year end 220 3
- Foreign income for self employed 162 2
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 285 9
- what time is it ? 176 2
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 296 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,115 14
- Tax Return Deadlines 238 4
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 596 21
- How would you account for warranty? 174 4
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 412 22
- Sweet Tooth 220 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 194 2
- trading or dormant 132 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 152 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 894
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 521
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 333
- How to format a stock book 315
- Tax efficient holding company structure 251
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 245
- Investment property company accounts template 229
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 194
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 174
- Charge out rates in London? 153