Self assessment late payment penalty
Has anyone had any success in appealing against a self assessment late payment penalty?
My client has just received a penalty for £400 which represents 5% of the tax that was outstanding for 2010/2011 as at 1 March 2012. The client was late in filing his tax return (filed 4th April 2012) and started making arrangements to try and settle his outstanding tax bill of £8k. He paid 25% of the tax straight away and tried to organise with HMRC a payment plan to settle the rest. HMRC have been very unhelpful regarding this which has led to my client to take out a bank loan at a much higher rate to settle the debt with HMRC asap.
The client understood that he would have a late filing penalty of £100 plus interest, but feels that the additional £400 is unfair and equates to an interest rate of approx 20%!!
My client was self employed for a year (2010/2011) and taxable income was £35k. He was the sole earner in his house at the time as his wife had maternity leave with their second child. My client had suffered £8k of bad debts with one of his customers and as a result returned to employment for most of 2011/2012. I know it is no excuse but as he was only self employed for just one year and suffered a substantial bad debt the money was not there to be paid. I feel that HMRC will not see this as a reason to not impose the penalty but I feel I should try for my client.
Has anyone got any advice on how to appeal against this?
- Preparing a consolidated TB 253 7
- Tax return to date of death/R27 51 1
- Date of acquisition for capital allowances 115 1
- Can I use the approved mileage rates in a Limited Company? 65 2
- Companies House 334 6
- Medical benefit on low paid wife of director? 86 4
- How to deal with a prior year CT adjustment 230 7
- Is there anything I should know about Northern Irish companies? 217 6
- can a CGT transfer be legally cancelled in the future if 235 8
- Gross Profit Percentage 411 9
- Self employment trap - pension 424 5
- Awkward IP 692 10
- Prepare for Chaos 475 5
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 2,719 69
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 207 3
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,675 29
- Simple Ltd company accounts service 610 14
- Payroll Operation post Trading Cessation 110 1
- When does my Property business start 311 5
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 916 20
- CTA study material 610
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 374
- Employment related securities question 231
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 204
- ATED Penalties 197
- AIM Stocks and IHT 180
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 141
- Expat pension contributions? 136
- Trust for Employee 129
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 121