Self assessment late payment penalty
Has anyone had any success in appealing against a self assessment late payment penalty?
My client has just received a penalty for £400 which represents 5% of the tax that was outstanding for 2010/2011 as at 1 March 2012. The client was late in filing his tax return (filed 4th April 2012) and started making arrangements to try and settle his outstanding tax bill of £8k. He paid 25% of the tax straight away and tried to organise with HMRC a payment plan to settle the rest. HMRC have been very unhelpful regarding this which has led to my client to take out a bank loan at a much higher rate to settle the debt with HMRC asap.
The client understood that he would have a late filing penalty of £100 plus interest, but feels that the additional £400 is unfair and equates to an interest rate of approx 20%!!
My client was self employed for a year (2010/2011) and taxable income was £35k. He was the sole earner in his house at the time as his wife had maternity leave with their second child. My client had suffered £8k of bad debts with one of his customers and as a result returned to employment for most of 2011/2012. I know it is no excuse but as he was only self employed for just one year and suffered a substantial bad debt the money was not there to be paid. I feel that HMRC will not see this as a reason to not impose the penalty but I feel I should try for my client.
Has anyone got any advice on how to appeal against this?
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,461 38
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 160 4
- PITA client 176 3
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 344 9
- What are options for non CA firm 2,612 56
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,301 33
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 730 15
- Dividend dates 471 8
- R&D tax credit claim 203 5
- CIS Deductions 267 3
- Estate agent and VAT registration 94 1
- is this fraud? 773 13
- Married woman dies owning marital home 480 5
- first year company tax return for a limited company 1,515 28
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 211 5
- Not a good start no broadband 484 10
- DEATH OF A SHAREHOLDER NO SHAREHOLDER AGREEMENT 173 2
- new software IXBRL and Accounts production? 218 2
- PPR CGT section 222 builds an extension 89 1
- Intrastat triangulation 74 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 595
- Cancelled 344
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 330
- Cancelled 281
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 252
- Probiz 239
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 180
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 174
- Car leasing scheme 173
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 151