Self employed capital allowances on a work van and mileage
The question relates to claiming capital allowances as a self employed person v claiming mileage.
My understanding is that for example if a builder purchase a van for his business (although self employed) then the builder is entitled to claim his AIA of 100% up to the current years threshold on their tax return.
Am I correct in saying that the builder would then not be able to claim the 45p HMRC mileage rate, as this is meant to include depreciation etc and therefore capital allowances?
If so, what about the fuel rate that HMRC provide. Could the builder continue to claim fuel at the prevailing rate, eg 15p or 18p depending on engine size and fuel type? Or is this exclusively for company car users?
If the 45p is not allowed because of the CA use, i'm just trying to establish which is the most tax efficient way to do it!
So if the builder does say 45000 miles in the year, they could claim 10000 miles at 45p and 35000 at 25p, so that would go as an allowable deduction of £13250, whereas if the van only cost 8k, then the would only be getting tax relieve on £8000, so the mileage rate would be a better way to calculate it!
Can someone advise if my thinking is correct?
- First director's salary payment 3 months after ltd company formation 478 7
- Identify cost savings 128 3
- Companies Made Simple - I guess they don't want our business any more 342 5
- Seeking advice: Director's claim to money 77 2
- Just another average day trying to deal with HMRC 1,598 19
- Member meet up 1 October in London 266 7
- Laptop help needed I bought the wrong operating system 535 11
- Only pref shares. Does it matter 167 5
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 816 1
- Fees 762 8
- P11D & tax return 266 10
- Freelance/Employee 912 22
- VAT on children's clothing 161 4
- when is a bad debt a bad debt 244 6
- Why do I get the feeling ... 453 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 2,445 50
- Concurrent users 463 7
- SEIS: is it ok for co to spend money before the shares are issued? 100 1
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 475 8
- Creation of leases out of freehold 167 2
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 437
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 389
- Electric Car 328
- S222 Charge 266
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 236
- AIA 212
- IP trans to holding company 209
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 200
- Car used both in a partnership and sole trader business - how to claim capital allowances? 166
- Career advice needed regarding accouting systems analysis 157