Self employed capital allowances on a work van and mileage
The question relates to claiming capital allowances as a self employed person v claiming mileage.
My understanding is that for example if a builder purchase a van for his business (although self employed) then the builder is entitled to claim his AIA of 100% up to the current years threshold on their tax return.
Am I correct in saying that the builder would then not be able to claim the 45p HMRC mileage rate, as this is meant to include depreciation etc and therefore capital allowances?
If so, what about the fuel rate that HMRC provide. Could the builder continue to claim fuel at the prevailing rate, eg 15p or 18p depending on engine size and fuel type? Or is this exclusively for company car users?
If the 45p is not allowed because of the CA use, i'm just trying to establish which is the most tax efficient way to do it!
So if the builder does say 45000 miles in the year, they could claim 10000 miles at 45p and 35000 at 25p, so that would go as an allowable deduction of £13250, whereas if the van only cost 8k, then the would only be getting tax relieve on £8000, so the mileage rate would be a better way to calculate it!
Can someone advise if my thinking is correct?
- What can my client claim r & d on? 103 3
- R&D tax credit claim 71 1
- Invoice Help 396 11
- CGT 43 2
- is my company accounts right? 829 22
- Corporate shareholder question 191 3
- Dissolving company to avoid CCJ 265 4
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,020 28
- Rental property: expenses when up for sale and not let 401 9
- Class 2 National Insurance contributions 374 6
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 88 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,512 55
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,563 21
- Gong round in Circles with CT600 124 1
- P11D Dispensation 114 1
- I have missing sales invoices 386 5
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 278 8
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 378 5
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 1,044 19
- Errors in prior year accounts 1,064 26
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 556
- Cancelled 320
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 320
- Cancelled 269
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 227
- Married woman dies owning marital home 223
- Probiz 212
- What's the market like for temps? 203
- CIS Deductions 171
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 163