Self employed capital allowances on a work van and mileage
The question relates to claiming capital allowances as a self employed person v claiming mileage.
My understanding is that for example if a builder purchase a van for his business (although self employed) then the builder is entitled to claim his AIA of 100% up to the current years threshold on their tax return.
Am I correct in saying that the builder would then not be able to claim the 45p HMRC mileage rate, as this is meant to include depreciation etc and therefore capital allowances?
If so, what about the fuel rate that HMRC provide. Could the builder continue to claim fuel at the prevailing rate, eg 15p or 18p depending on engine size and fuel type? Or is this exclusively for company car users?
If the 45p is not allowed because of the CA use, i'm just trying to establish which is the most tax efficient way to do it!
So if the builder does say 45000 miles in the year, they could claim 10000 miles at 45p and 35000 at 25p, so that would go as an allowable deduction of £13250, whereas if the van only cost 8k, then the would only be getting tax relieve on £8000, so the mileage rate would be a better way to calculate it!
Can someone advise if my thinking is correct?
- General tax book with planning 139 2
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,193 69
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 273 11
- Gift of property & improvements 108 2
- Error in past Corporate tax return 336 5
- VAT Invoice 124 4
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 799 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 124 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 210 3
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 174 7
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 144 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 443 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 368 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 251 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 180 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 258 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 160 4
- SA302's anyone?? 534 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,643 41
- Renting for military reasons 192 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,620
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 901
- International interest certificate 509
- NOVA 368
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 293
- Management expenses for investment company 263
- Bonus Bonds 261
- tax on apprenticeship income 172
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 172
- P11D benefit received by widow 149