Self employed capital allowances on a work van and mileage
The question relates to claiming capital allowances as a self employed person v claiming mileage.
My understanding is that for example if a builder purchase a van for his business (although self employed) then the builder is entitled to claim his AIA of 100% up to the current years threshold on their tax return.
Am I correct in saying that the builder would then not be able to claim the 45p HMRC mileage rate, as this is meant to include depreciation etc and therefore capital allowances?
If so, what about the fuel rate that HMRC provide. Could the builder continue to claim fuel at the prevailing rate, eg 15p or 18p depending on engine size and fuel type? Or is this exclusively for company car users?
If the 45p is not allowed because of the CA use, i'm just trying to establish which is the most tax efficient way to do it!
So if the builder does say 45000 miles in the year, they could claim 10000 miles at 45p and 35000 at 25p, so that would go as an allowable deduction of £13250, whereas if the van only cost 8k, then the would only be getting tax relieve on £8000, so the mileage rate would be a better way to calculate it!
Can someone advise if my thinking is correct?
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 78 6
- Payroo Employer allowance query 224 7
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 402 9
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 193 6
- Enforcing A CCJ 341 7
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 86 1
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 163 2
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 285 5
- Comapny valuation qualifications 118 2
- Director's tax return 379 8
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 169 3
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,109 34
- Flat rate vat 205 2
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 185 5
- Coming in from the cold 362 3
- Splitting the tax year 176 2
- P11d & Medical Ins 212 2
- Should design costs be capitalised? 182 4
- Submitting tax return 212 1
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 273 8
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 811
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 559
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 428
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 310
- Free Tax Legislation? 283
- Director Loan account operation 263
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 254
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 251
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 233
- Paye procedures for CVA 171