Self employed capital allowances on a work van and mileage
The question relates to claiming capital allowances as a self employed person v claiming mileage.
My understanding is that for example if a builder purchase a van for his business (although self employed) then the builder is entitled to claim his AIA of 100% up to the current years threshold on their tax return.
Am I correct in saying that the builder would then not be able to claim the 45p HMRC mileage rate, as this is meant to include depreciation etc and therefore capital allowances?
If so, what about the fuel rate that HMRC provide. Could the builder continue to claim fuel at the prevailing rate, eg 15p or 18p depending on engine size and fuel type? Or is this exclusively for company car users?
If the 45p is not allowed because of the CA use, i'm just trying to establish which is the most tax efficient way to do it!
So if the builder does say 45000 miles in the year, they could claim 10000 miles at 45p and 35000 at 25p, so that would go as an allowable deduction of £13250, whereas if the van only cost 8k, then the would only be getting tax relieve on £8000, so the mileage rate would be a better way to calculate it!
Can someone advise if my thinking is correct?
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 1,218 23
- VAT on new build property 198 3
- HMRC - Online services - Anyone else having problems ? 139 2
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 2,247 23
- Seeking advice: Do you pay tax on donations if you are not a registered charity? 362 5
- VAT Flat Rate Scheme 127 1
- Introduction of assets to Limited Company (Comic Books) 497 15
- Insurance provider not VAT registered so Out of Scope ? 285 9
- HMRC enquiry - PAYE error / RTI 152 1
- . 260 4
- 31st october deadline 274 5
- Ltd Co / Summer House 223 1
- Client right to working papers 1,700 16
- HMRC Debt collectors 1,448 7
- wills 298 3
- Capital Allowance on Vehicles - CT600 271 5
- BTL property and holdover or other relief 288 5
- Practicing without a Practicing Certificate 1,168 18
- HMRC Online Services Problems 511 12
- Moneysoft Payroll 464 12
- NHS finance professionals 689
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 418
- Foreign Pension Contribution 387
- vat gross profit percentage margins 376
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 375
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 365
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 319
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 294
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 257
- IFA income recognition & reporting 217