Self employed capital allowances on a work van and mileage
The question relates to claiming capital allowances as a self employed person v claiming mileage.
My understanding is that for example if a builder purchase a van for his business (although self employed) then the builder is entitled to claim his AIA of 100% up to the current years threshold on their tax return.
Am I correct in saying that the builder would then not be able to claim the 45p HMRC mileage rate, as this is meant to include depreciation etc and therefore capital allowances?
If so, what about the fuel rate that HMRC provide. Could the builder continue to claim fuel at the prevailing rate, eg 15p or 18p depending on engine size and fuel type? Or is this exclusively for company car users?
If the 45p is not allowed because of the CA use, i'm just trying to establish which is the most tax efficient way to do it!
So if the builder does say 45000 miles in the year, they could claim 10000 miles at 45p and 35000 at 25p, so that would go as an allowable deduction of £13250, whereas if the van only cost 8k, then the would only be getting tax relieve on £8000, so the mileage rate would be a better way to calculate it!
Can someone advise if my thinking is correct?
- Do I charge VAT for event I held in Paris 61 1
- Can a director pay for their childs tuition through the company 780 16
- Growing pains 415 8
- Paying Personal Allowance in one go 405 7
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 183 5
- Can't understand my own electricity / gas bills 414 15
- Residents Association Corp Tax 242 10
- Your fondest calculator memories 720 28
- What is the best practice for running a roofing company in Sage 131 2
- new capital structure ltd with investors 363 7
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 439 3
- Free Agent - Payments on Account 553 14
- Joint filing delays 129 3
- Vat threshold issues 238 4
- private to company car? 256 5
- Buy to let allowable interest 218 3
- Anyone use Xero for estate agent clients? 298 5
- How to change credit note allocation in Sage 147 4
- Partner with an IVA 216 5
- What can my client claim r & d on? 349 6
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 459
- CTA study material 422
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 306
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 292
- Pre incorp expenses 284
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 248
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 235
- Slight twist on employment related securities 213
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 193
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 181