Self employed capital allowances on a work van and mileage
The question relates to claiming capital allowances as a self employed person v claiming mileage.
My understanding is that for example if a builder purchase a van for his business (although self employed) then the builder is entitled to claim his AIA of 100% up to the current years threshold on their tax return.
Am I correct in saying that the builder would then not be able to claim the 45p HMRC mileage rate, as this is meant to include depreciation etc and therefore capital allowances?
If so, what about the fuel rate that HMRC provide. Could the builder continue to claim fuel at the prevailing rate, eg 15p or 18p depending on engine size and fuel type? Or is this exclusively for company car users?
If the 45p is not allowed because of the CA use, i'm just trying to establish which is the most tax efficient way to do it!
So if the builder does say 45000 miles in the year, they could claim 10000 miles at 45p and 35000 at 25p, so that would go as an allowable deduction of £13250, whereas if the van only cost 8k, then the would only be getting tax relieve on £8000, so the mileage rate would be a better way to calculate it!
Can someone advise if my thinking is correct?
- Solicitors Clients Monies 27 1
- Bookkeeping and a/c reconciliation for a members club - advice please 84 4
- AML checks 155 3
- What is IRIS World like? 161 4
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 338 13
- Xero - Should I partner with them 441 9
- Sage import sales invoices with due dates 84 2
- HP VAT with flat rate scheme 123 1
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 474 7
- Micro entity accounts - cessation of trade 91 1
- Spellcheckers 170 1
- How long to process paper 64-8 (SA)? 283 5
- Sage Bank rec 114 1
- ERS reporting - online filing 254 7
- Is business bank account compulsory for all businesses? 157 1
- Transferring debts between company balance sheets. 151 6
- Small Company sold building, how to show in accounts 228 6
- Contract Hire Van, reclaiming input VAT 221 2
- Just for fun. 1,272 46
- Directors Share Purchase 342 14
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 399
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 379
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 359
- Perkbox 335
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 279
- Document Management Systems 272
- WIP Software 261
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 197
- No payroll scheme in place 188
- Nomisma feedback? 185