Self employed capital allowances on a work van and mileage
The question relates to claiming capital allowances as a self employed person v claiming mileage.
My understanding is that for example if a builder purchase a van for his business (although self employed) then the builder is entitled to claim his AIA of 100% up to the current years threshold on their tax return.
Am I correct in saying that the builder would then not be able to claim the 45p HMRC mileage rate, as this is meant to include depreciation etc and therefore capital allowances?
If so, what about the fuel rate that HMRC provide. Could the builder continue to claim fuel at the prevailing rate, eg 15p or 18p depending on engine size and fuel type? Or is this exclusively for company car users?
If the 45p is not allowed because of the CA use, i'm just trying to establish which is the most tax efficient way to do it!
So if the builder does say 45000 miles in the year, they could claim 10000 miles at 45p and 35000 at 25p, so that would go as an allowable deduction of £13250, whereas if the van only cost 8k, then the would only be getting tax relieve on £8000, so the mileage rate would be a better way to calculate it!
Can someone advise if my thinking is correct?
- Dress code 1,512 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 454 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 221 6
- Limited company buying director's car 223 8
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 414 7
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 349 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 460 23
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 118 4
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 72 3
- SH01 filing deadline - late filing 172 4
- Trees and hedging - capital expenditure 150 2
- How to complain about HMRC 1,408 17
- Scottish Independance 760 23
- New laptop - any suggestions please 1,248 26
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 199 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 262 11
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 171 1
- Historical figures for WTC 98 1
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 1,246 16
- Commercial kitchen equipement deemed chattels for SDLT and capital allowances purposes? 139 2
- CTA study material 763
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 471
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 379
- Employment related securities question 303
- AIM Stocks and IHT 276
- Expat pension contributions? 251
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 248
- Trust for Employee 230
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 162
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 143