Self employed capital allowances on a work van and mileage
The question relates to claiming capital allowances as a self employed person v claiming mileage.
My understanding is that for example if a builder purchase a van for his business (although self employed) then the builder is entitled to claim his AIA of 100% up to the current years threshold on their tax return.
Am I correct in saying that the builder would then not be able to claim the 45p HMRC mileage rate, as this is meant to include depreciation etc and therefore capital allowances?
If so, what about the fuel rate that HMRC provide. Could the builder continue to claim fuel at the prevailing rate, eg 15p or 18p depending on engine size and fuel type? Or is this exclusively for company car users?
If the 45p is not allowed because of the CA use, i'm just trying to establish which is the most tax efficient way to do it!
So if the builder does say 45000 miles in the year, they could claim 10000 miles at 45p and 35000 at 25p, so that would go as an allowable deduction of £13250, whereas if the van only cost 8k, then the would only be getting tax relieve on £8000, so the mileage rate would be a better way to calculate it!
Can someone advise if my thinking is correct?
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 172 5
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 883 40
- What sectors to target? 363 16
- Treatment of Asset Disposal for Tax Purposes 46 2
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 1,287 40
- Journals to Creditors Control 73 2
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 450 16
- Companies House late filing penalties 3,155 105
- Refusing to complete a tax return 491 11
- Repayment of maternity pay 115 2
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 155 9
- Duplicate emails from AWeb 142 10
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 876 16
- Self assesment online 592 7
- Dissolved company with o/s corporation tax 252 6
- Practice management 251 4
- Teacher doing marking - tax deducted 467 6
- More NI or same 151 1
- Simplified use of home - contradiction 278 4
- maternity allowance for self employed individual 182 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 913
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 629
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 588
- Latest phishing scam 555
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 384
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 288
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 211
- Scratch Head 200
- Capital allowances in first basis period 199
- Sabbatical payments 185