Self employed capital allowances on a work van and mileage
The question relates to claiming capital allowances as a self employed person v claiming mileage.
My understanding is that for example if a builder purchase a van for his business (although self employed) then the builder is entitled to claim his AIA of 100% up to the current years threshold on their tax return.
Am I correct in saying that the builder would then not be able to claim the 45p HMRC mileage rate, as this is meant to include depreciation etc and therefore capital allowances?
If so, what about the fuel rate that HMRC provide. Could the builder continue to claim fuel at the prevailing rate, eg 15p or 18p depending on engine size and fuel type? Or is this exclusively for company car users?
If the 45p is not allowed because of the CA use, i'm just trying to establish which is the most tax efficient way to do it!
So if the builder does say 45000 miles in the year, they could claim 10000 miles at 45p and 35000 at 25p, so that would go as an allowable deduction of £13250, whereas if the van only cost 8k, then the would only be getting tax relieve on £8000, so the mileage rate would be a better way to calculate it!
Can someone advise if my thinking is correct?
- Client Death 306 4
- Errors in prior year accounts 416 11
- Loan to realted parties 72 3
- VAT On Conference Sponsorship 25 1
- monthly payments 174 3
- Related party disclosures 57 2
- Loan from one LTD co. to another LTd Co. 61 1
- Hive up - accounting and notes to financial statements 142 2
- Free Shares ? 59 1
- Are pre trading lossess able to be off set if the company does not trade? 198 3
- Coding notices post P11d 1,917 16
- Any point writing to HMRC to appeal against self assessment penalties ? 563 15
- Tick & Bash Bristol 437 7
- IFA incorporation 361 1
- VAT on Training Courses 201 5
- Consolidated Accounts Software 175 2
- Do I need to pay Capital Gain Tax 638 26
- Peer to Peer lending 258 6
- Filing Dormant LLPs with Companies House 133 2
- Fixed Assets 334 6
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 589
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 458
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 359
- Sorry ignore me 334
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 286
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 284
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 268
- Cancelled 211
- property ownership between husband wife three taxpayers 185
- Cancelled 183