Self employed capital allowances on a work van and mileage
The question relates to claiming capital allowances as a self employed person v claiming mileage.
My understanding is that for example if a builder purchase a van for his business (although self employed) then the builder is entitled to claim his AIA of 100% up to the current years threshold on their tax return.
Am I correct in saying that the builder would then not be able to claim the 45p HMRC mileage rate, as this is meant to include depreciation etc and therefore capital allowances?
If so, what about the fuel rate that HMRC provide. Could the builder continue to claim fuel at the prevailing rate, eg 15p or 18p depending on engine size and fuel type? Or is this exclusively for company car users?
If the 45p is not allowed because of the CA use, i'm just trying to establish which is the most tax efficient way to do it!
So if the builder does say 45000 miles in the year, they could claim 10000 miles at 45p and 35000 at 25p, so that would go as an allowable deduction of £13250, whereas if the van only cost 8k, then the would only be getting tax relieve on £8000, so the mileage rate would be a better way to calculate it!
Can someone advise if my thinking is correct?
- Overpayment relief claim 30 2
- How to prepare and Finalize Vat company accounts 135 6
- rates of pay query 94 1
- Flat rate vat error 384 8
- do I have to pay NI? 208 3
- Aggressive HMRC 1,356 15
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,453 61
- Can you recognize revenue on asset sold and bought back at a later stage? 79 2
- How to format a stock book 385 2
- Can you get tax deduction for legal fees on sale of debtors 251 8
- Investment property company accounts template 255 1
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 358 6
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 73 2
- Quickbooks expert needed 137 2
- Charity reserves 79 1
- Have i messed up? 466 7
- Related Parties Note 330 6
- Client change of address for VAT - can't do it online?! 355 6
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,358 16
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 477 26
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 982
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 539
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 355
- Tax efficient holding company structure 280
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 263
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 209
- Charge out rates in London? 198
- Pension contributions higher rate extension? 176
- Personal consumption by landlord 172
- Interest on Loan to a Company 163