Self employed capital allowances on a work van and mileage
The question relates to claiming capital allowances as a self employed person v claiming mileage.
My understanding is that for example if a builder purchase a van for his business (although self employed) then the builder is entitled to claim his AIA of 100% up to the current years threshold on their tax return.
Am I correct in saying that the builder would then not be able to claim the 45p HMRC mileage rate, as this is meant to include depreciation etc and therefore capital allowances?
If so, what about the fuel rate that HMRC provide. Could the builder continue to claim fuel at the prevailing rate, eg 15p or 18p depending on engine size and fuel type? Or is this exclusively for company car users?
If the 45p is not allowed because of the CA use, i'm just trying to establish which is the most tax efficient way to do it!
So if the builder does say 45000 miles in the year, they could claim 10000 miles at 45p and 35000 at 25p, so that would go as an allowable deduction of £13250, whereas if the van only cost 8k, then the would only be getting tax relieve on £8000, so the mileage rate would be a better way to calculate it!
Can someone advise if my thinking is correct?
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 808 17
- Rental Income Tax Planning 182 3
- Vat 50 2
- Auto-Enrolment 3,786 184
- Method for filing 2013/14 payroll? 97 2
- Partially exempt? 193 6
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 115 4
- Incorporation Relief 101 2
- First VAT Visit for client 101 2
- Accounting Practice acting as an employment agency 229 11
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 569 6
- capital gains on PPR 1,428 21
- cost of moving out for a few weeks 301 9
- Tax question about small group and how to set up 231 14
- What type of Trust? 144 3
- What is 'an asset' for A/A+B CGT? 135 5
- OBK 598 19
- Instant CPD offer 153 2
- Dividend in specie 148 2
- Investor exit 110 2
- Skandia using wrong address 469
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 270
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 264
- Employee rewards 256
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 216
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 209
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 209
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 193
- Etax Australian 165
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 155