Self-Employed expenses Rented Accommodation
I had a new client come to me yesterday with about 4 tax returns outstanding.
He worked on a Commission-Only Self-employed basis as a Stockbroker in an office in Scotland. He lives in Kent but rented out a flat in Scotland. He returned to Kent only 3 times a year for a week at a time to see his family.
He is asking if he can claim for his flights to/from Scotland and whether he can claim for his rent in Scotland. (He is not hopeful on either and nor am I).
He worked in Scotland from Nov 2008 to Feb 2013 (he is finishing at the end of next month).
There is no evidence he was organising his business from his home in Kent.
Any help would be most appreciated.
- Tax return 93 4
- Associations tax regime for Saturday school 349 6
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 107 4
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 102 2
- I know this has been done to death but IRIS / DIGITA / CCH??? 414 8
- Fee protection 258 9
- Tax rebate under PAYE, no p60? 100 4
- Excessive Security 612 27
- Long Term Contracts 127 3
- Income tax exemption on woodlands 73 1
- Standard P&L format - Companies Act 2006 63 2
- Disengaging a client who uses our office as a registered office address 646 15
- Generic PAYE notices 231 6
- Ltd company or sole trader 262 9
- Cross Border VAT Reclaims 190 5
- LLP classification of division of profit 138 4
- Changes in NHS pensions 189 1
- Free Agent data? 207 3
- Reusing dissolved company name? 163 2
- deductions for OMB companies 197 3
- Xtuple 481
- Qtac payroll for bureau 323
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 270
- Industrial & Provident Societies 264
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 203
- Mehjoo 199
- VAT on commission from Oyster card top up, lottery & paypoint 169
- New strategic report 161
- South African Government Pension 141
- Domain name sale and limited company 138