Self-Employed expenses Rented Accommodation
I had a new client come to me yesterday with about 4 tax returns outstanding.
He worked on a Commission-Only Self-employed basis as a Stockbroker in an office in Scotland. He lives in Kent but rented out a flat in Scotland. He returned to Kent only 3 times a year for a week at a time to see his family.
He is asking if he can claim for his flights to/from Scotland and whether he can claim for his rent in Scotland. (He is not hopeful on either and nor am I).
He worked in Scotland from Nov 2008 to Feb 2013 (he is finishing at the end of next month).
There is no evidence he was organising his business from his home in Kent.
Any help would be most appreciated.
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 823 25
- Charity Account-independent examiner 140 2
- Share valuation upon death of shareholder 86 2
- Pension contributions and childcare vouchers 147 4
- Is renting a house deductable 150 5
- Bank account frozen 66 1
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 230 2
- Writing Website Content 606 22
- VAT on Second Hand Touring Caravans 154 4
- Badges of trade 328 6
- Can HMRC charge penalties now for a tax return due for 2005? 242 4
- CT61 Interest - Is it voluntary? 80 2
- owner paying for purchases and other expenses from personal account 128 3
- AIA 337 5
- Seeking advice: Charging VAT on commission on my commission! 280 8
- CT600 X ERROR in relation to Tangible Assets 195 9
- Capital Goods Scheme 211 7
- Only pref shares. Does it matter 317 7
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 2,726 14
- The Pensions Regulator 356 9
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 445
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 414
- Electric Car 352
- S222 Charge 280
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 260
- IP trans to holding company 217
- Payroll Manager - tax code for starter declaration 'C' 197
- Car used both in a partnership and sole trader business - how to claim capital allowances? 189
- Career advice needed regarding accouting systems analysis 161
- Simple Partnership Agreement Template 155