Self-Employed expenses Rented Accommodation
I had a new client come to me yesterday with about 4 tax returns outstanding.
He worked on a Commission-Only Self-employed basis as a Stockbroker in an office in Scotland. He lives in Kent but rented out a flat in Scotland. He returned to Kent only 3 times a year for a week at a time to see his family.
He is asking if he can claim for his flights to/from Scotland and whether he can claim for his rent in Scotland. (He is not hopeful on either and nor am I).
He worked in Scotland from Nov 2008 to Feb 2013 (he is finishing at the end of next month).
There is no evidence he was organising his business from his home in Kent.
Any help would be most appreciated.
- NALS Accountants Report 86 1
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,456 35
- Legal title not in the company name 257 10
- Dividend dates 550 10
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 111 3
- Sole properietor 156 4
- transitioning payroll 225 8
- dividend proposals 92 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 221 2
- Deduction from Salary 284 8
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 179 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,715 60
- Child Tax Credits - date of cessation of qualifying young person 81 2
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 433 10
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 157 2
- 12 Pay Problems 248 3
- VAT online filing exemptions 247 3
- Mutual trading organisation has chargeable gain 86 1
- Redudancy 91 1
- Redundancy pay for directors? 483 13
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 621
- Cancelled 363
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 310
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 282
- Probiz 271
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 230
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 227
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 202
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 175