Self-Employed expenses Rented Accommodation
I had a new client come to me yesterday with about 4 tax returns outstanding.
He worked on a Commission-Only Self-employed basis as a Stockbroker in an office in Scotland. He lives in Kent but rented out a flat in Scotland. He returned to Kent only 3 times a year for a week at a time to see his family.
He is asking if he can claim for his flights to/from Scotland and whether he can claim for his rent in Scotland. (He is not hopeful on either and nor am I).
He worked in Scotland from Nov 2008 to Feb 2013 (he is finishing at the end of next month).
There is no evidence he was organising his business from his home in Kent.
Any help would be most appreciated.
- Director drawings 241 18
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 230 10
- What sectors to target? 118 5
- Childcare voucher schemes 39 3
- Charitable Company's Accounts 70 2
- Adding employers clients on LinkedIn 29 1
- client can't/won't pay 1,851 40
- Interest Relief 156 5
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 483 28
- What is the treatment of gains on sale of Options granted in Belgium 35 1
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 1,567 54
- Rental losses 120 3
- Should i tell HMRC 1,566 14
- IRIS opentax login problems?! 289 2
- Has anyone experience of BPRA? 144 3
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 221 8
- Carrying forward self employment losses 177 8
- Client forgot to sign paper return and has gone on holidays 539 19
- Child Benefit Higher Income Tax Charge 129 3
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 98 2
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 900
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 599
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 569
- Latest phishing scam 525
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 371
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 338
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 278
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 197
- Capital allowances in first basis period 178
- Sabbatical payments 169