Self-Employed expenses Rented Accommodation
I had a new client come to me yesterday with about 4 tax returns outstanding.
He worked on a Commission-Only Self-employed basis as a Stockbroker in an office in Scotland. He lives in Kent but rented out a flat in Scotland. He returned to Kent only 3 times a year for a week at a time to see his family.
He is asking if he can claim for his flights to/from Scotland and whether he can claim for his rent in Scotland. (He is not hopeful on either and nor am I).
He worked in Scotland from Nov 2008 to Feb 2013 (he is finishing at the end of next month).
There is no evidence he was organising his business from his home in Kent.
Any help would be most appreciated.
- Is this acceptable advice for limited co 1,053 29
- paid or unpaid - who knows! 426 8
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 208 6
- VAT silly question 2,262 51
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 159 6
- Classic cars investment 150 4
- Ceasing to trade when legal action being taken.. 237 3
- Cater Allen Commission 125 3
- How do I complain about an FCCA accountant 235 4
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 718 20
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 115 1
- VAT on 'educational' services - UK and overseas 69 1
- Vat reclaim on invoice payable over 4 years 104 1
- Sage 2010 data corruption 122 5
- online book keeping systems - what happens after you stop paying? 497 13
- Sage at it again? 365 5
- BrightPay 511 13
- Is this a scam? 1,596 27
- S455 458 21
- client issues 334 4
- Benchmarking 468
- Possible Partnership? 417
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 402
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 388
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 332
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 196
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 176
- Income tax on foreign dividends 173
- Clubs and Taxable Income 171
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 165