Self-Employed expenses Rented Accommodation
I had a new client come to me yesterday with about 4 tax returns outstanding.
He worked on a Commission-Only Self-employed basis as a Stockbroker in an office in Scotland. He lives in Kent but rented out a flat in Scotland. He returned to Kent only 3 times a year for a week at a time to see his family.
He is asking if he can claim for his flights to/from Scotland and whether he can claim for his rent in Scotland. (He is not hopeful on either and nor am I).
He worked in Scotland from Nov 2008 to Feb 2013 (he is finishing at the end of next month).
There is no evidence he was organising his business from his home in Kent.
Any help would be most appreciated.
- How much did you pay for your website 637 14
- Subsidiary exemption from audit via parent guarantee 37 1
- FRS percentage 36 1
- Can I use the approved mileage rates in a Limited Company? 170 5
- can a CGT transfer be legally cancelled in the future if 289 9
- Anybody taken part in the Growth Voucher Scheme? 62 1
- Gross Profit Percentage 492 11
- Companies House 413 8
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 966 23
- can a balancing allowance be claimed if 123 4
- Benefit fraud 3,138 42
- Who would you nominate for a Practice Excellence Award? 216 2
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 98 4
- What is the reasoning behind HMRC letter re high income child benefit charge? 1,024 16
- Tax return to date of death/R27 131 2
- Preparing a consolidated TB 286 7
- does a hybrid car with CO2 92g/km bought April 2014 476 5
- How to deal with a prior year CT adjustment 248 8
- Medical benefit on low paid wife of director? 144 5
- Date of acquisition for capital allowances 134 1
- CTA study material 616
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 381
- Employment related securities question 235
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 204
- ATED Penalties 202
- AIM Stocks and IHT 181
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 143
- Expat pension contributions? 136
- Trust for Employee 132
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 124