Self-Employed expenses Rented Accommodation
I had a new client come to me yesterday with about 4 tax returns outstanding.
He worked on a Commission-Only Self-employed basis as a Stockbroker in an office in Scotland. He lives in Kent but rented out a flat in Scotland. He returned to Kent only 3 times a year for a week at a time to see his family.
He is asking if he can claim for his flights to/from Scotland and whether he can claim for his rent in Scotland. (He is not hopeful on either and nor am I).
He worked in Scotland from Nov 2008 to Feb 2013 (he is finishing at the end of next month).
There is no evidence he was organising his business from his home in Kent.
Any help would be most appreciated.
- RTI 356 17
- How to do a Sage Journal/s to put things straight? 150 5
- Rant (unrelated to accountancy) 805 25
- What leverage do I have with accountants if any? 1,766 54
- How do I find out if a company is in liquidation? 248 7
- Tour Operators Margin Scheme For VAT (TOMS) 74 1
- Nigella's tax bill 404 9
- What is going rate on contractor fees ? 1,117 73
- Does your car speak Geordie? 468 7
- Just because it's Friday 1,134 14
- RTI notices 258 8
- Cheeky boogers ... 320 3
- 2 Properties being rented 226 3
- Co House codes - poor security - be careful 422 11
- Dangerous "HMRC" e .mail 267 1
- Still Looking for Website inspiration 626 18
- Director's Loan Account 315 5
- Company with no directors - what happens next 244 5
- HMRC acting illegally re: removing overpayments from the record? 392 4
- An employee pays another employee commission, who's liable? 208 3
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 563
- confusion about 262
- Membership of SPA 232
- Sole trader renting property from self and co owner 230
- Maximum AIA Claimable 221
- Competition time! 220
- Alternate 191
- hp versus contract hire versus lease purchase with balloon 188
- Tax treatment of lost partnership capital 170
- Recommend commission tracking software? 150