Self-Employed expenses Rented Accommodation
I had a new client come to me yesterday with about 4 tax returns outstanding.
He worked on a Commission-Only Self-employed basis as a Stockbroker in an office in Scotland. He lives in Kent but rented out a flat in Scotland. He returned to Kent only 3 times a year for a week at a time to see his family.
He is asking if he can claim for his flights to/from Scotland and whether he can claim for his rent in Scotland. (He is not hopeful on either and nor am I).
He worked in Scotland from Nov 2008 to Feb 2013 (he is finishing at the end of next month).
There is no evidence he was organising his business from his home in Kent.
Any help would be most appreciated.
- VAT on employee loan 264 4
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 151 4
- What do you all do in your spare time? 645 28
- Accountants website 327 4
- Threshold company limited by guarantee. 51 1
- Retrospective VAT Claim 94 1
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 341 9
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,395 20
- SAGE 50 PAYROLL YEAR END 212 5
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 411 6
- Can software startup claim VAT refund during development? 156 6
- Tax implications on building an 'office' 205 2
- VT Final Accounts puts "Cost of Sales - Carriage" and "Cost of Sales - Other Costs" into "Other Costs". Is that compulsory? It seems mad. 189 3
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 711 18
- Partial PPR relief to non-resident after 05 Apr 2015 147 1
- Accounting Package for Projects 82 2
- Purchased Goodwill 139 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 107 1
- Are accountants keeping up with the pace of change? 219 4
- Recruitment agencies 592 1
- New Fangled Penalties 1,079
- Moving away from CCH software 931
- QROP pension input amounts 425
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 370
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 341
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 309
- fraud 265
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 236
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 211
- Construction CIS LLP Company 189