Self-Employed expenses Rented Accommodation
I had a new client come to me yesterday with about 4 tax returns outstanding.
He worked on a Commission-Only Self-employed basis as a Stockbroker in an office in Scotland. He lives in Kent but rented out a flat in Scotland. He returned to Kent only 3 times a year for a week at a time to see his family.
He is asking if he can claim for his flights to/from Scotland and whether he can claim for his rent in Scotland. (He is not hopeful on either and nor am I).
He worked in Scotland from Nov 2008 to Feb 2013 (he is finishing at the end of next month).
There is no evidence he was organising his business from his home in Kent.
Any help would be most appreciated.
- Start up allowance? 424 13
- ACCA - still making me laugh 106 1
- Old CGT loss 311 9
- New Starter Checklist 261 9
- Meal Allowance - Limited Company 416 7
- Gave wrong info to client about tax due 759 22
- Goodwill complications 327 7
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 540 21
- TaxCalc Accounts production 231 3
- HMRC Distraint 228 2
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 197 2
- Will I need to resign? 655 9
- What are the implications for a UK company director resident in Canada 120 3
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 368 8
- Gov.UK = NOT OK! 439 7
- Which operating version would be better to upgrade to..Windows V7 or V8? 1,042 16
- How to explain this to someone 240 1
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,421 20
- UK Pension Income For Non-Residents 147 5
- Should Nominal Ledger be given to new accountant 642 15