Self-Employed expenses Rented Accommodation
I had a new client come to me yesterday with about 4 tax returns outstanding.
He worked on a Commission-Only Self-employed basis as a Stockbroker in an office in Scotland. He lives in Kent but rented out a flat in Scotland. He returned to Kent only 3 times a year for a week at a time to see his family.
He is asking if he can claim for his flights to/from Scotland and whether he can claim for his rent in Scotland. (He is not hopeful on either and nor am I).
He worked in Scotland from Nov 2008 to Feb 2013 (he is finishing at the end of next month).
There is no evidence he was organising his business from his home in Kent.
Any help would be most appreciated.
- Peer to Peer lending 29 2
- Well well well 128 1
- Dividend payment date 1,805 32
- Use of aliases 681 19
- Clarification over - VAT Box 8 - Flat rate scheme 43 2
- Any Benefit in Kind when obliged to attend a dinner? 100 1
- Capital Gains Tax 40 2
- Accounting Crew 846 20
- Real names 334 13
- What's the plural? 604 13
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 283 12
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 453 5
- What are options for non CA firm 1,349 17
- No VAT returns submitted since registration 69 1
- Capital allowances 196 4
- Who owns the data 102 1
- Builder - Roll over relief 366 16
- Studying accountant has hit a brick wall - help me! 2,108 19
- Director salary from company limited by guarantee 150 5
- No VAT apportionment on tools on hand at registration? 80 1
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 566
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 423
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 324
- IFA incorporation 299
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 291
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 280
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 246
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 232
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 220
- Sorry ignore me 200