Self-Employed expenses Rented Accommodation
I had a new client come to me yesterday with about 4 tax returns outstanding.
He worked on a Commission-Only Self-employed basis as a Stockbroker in an office in Scotland. He lives in Kent but rented out a flat in Scotland. He returned to Kent only 3 times a year for a week at a time to see his family.
He is asking if he can claim for his flights to/from Scotland and whether he can claim for his rent in Scotland. (He is not hopeful on either and nor am I).
He worked in Scotland from Nov 2008 to Feb 2013 (he is finishing at the end of next month).
There is no evidence he was organising his business from his home in Kent.
Any help would be most appreciated.
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 584 9
- 31st october deadline 355 6
- Property gift to sister 71 4
- RTI Late Registration query 132 1
- Treatment of one-off payments to non-employees 210 2
- Payroll software 132 1
- Who gets the CGT deduction 205 2
- Accounting for display stands 227 7
- Companies House Search 292 3
- VAT training 244 4
- Letter saying client is IR35 compliant 251 3
- Is it any of my business ? 1,508 15
- VAT Flat Rate Scheme 295 3
- A Friday Funny. 310 5
- Something for the weekend? 243 5
- Moneysoft Payroll 553 12
- Practicing without a Practicing Certificate 1,250 19
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 2,537 26
- Coming out of flat rate 154 1
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 1,602 27
- NHS finance professionals 707
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 429
- Foreign Pension Contribution 401
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 383
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 383
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 336
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 301
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 279
- IFA income recognition & reporting 224
- Incorporating doctors 217