Self-Employed expenses Rented Accommodation
I had a new client come to me yesterday with about 4 tax returns outstanding.
He worked on a Commission-Only Self-employed basis as a Stockbroker in an office in Scotland. He lives in Kent but rented out a flat in Scotland. He returned to Kent only 3 times a year for a week at a time to see his family.
He is asking if he can claim for his flights to/from Scotland and whether he can claim for his rent in Scotland. (He is not hopeful on either and nor am I).
He worked in Scotland from Nov 2008 to Feb 2013 (he is finishing at the end of next month).
There is no evidence he was organising his business from his home in Kent.
Any help would be most appreciated.
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 315 11
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 98 3
- Pension Contributions Relief 479 15
- Claiming depreciation on a company vehicle 75 4
- capital gains on PPR 201 11
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 504 8
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,751 440
- 100% Xero practice 2,454 46
- Fees for Property Tax Return 210 6
- Can I calculate a total amount on my freelance tax relief? 131 1
- Separating business for VAT purposes 130 2
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 284 9
- PRR 357 13
- 40% rule for travel expenses 392 11
- Cash injection by shareholder 308 7
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,260 62
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 349 6
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 433 20
- How to pursue fraudulent trading 361 5
- Is it more beneficial to be a Ltd company? 248 3
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,314
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 475
- National Insurance 369
- Non Resident 296
- Franchise income and costs 260
- Hands on experience of Digita 214
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 191
- Employer's Helpline 164
- employment capital allowances 160
- CIS paid under reg 9 156