Self-Employed expenses Rented Accommodation | AccountingWEB

Self-Employed expenses Rented Accommodation


I had a new client come to me yesterday with about 4 tax returns outstanding.

He worked on a Commission-Only Self-employed basis as a Stockbroker in an office in Scotland.   He lives in Kent but rented out a flat in Scotland.   He returned to Kent only 3 times a year for a week at a time to see his family. 

He is asking if he can claim for his flights to/from Scotland and whether he can claim for his rent in Scotland.  (He is not hopeful on either and nor am I).

He worked in Scotland from Nov 2008 to Feb 2013 (he is finishing at the end of next month).

There is no evidence he was organising his business from his home in Kent.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Kind Regards






There are 3 comments. Login or register to view them.

I think you're right...

andrew.hyde |


cparker87 |

Thank you for your reply.  No

JasonDennis |