Self-Employed expenses Rented Accommodation
I had a new client come to me yesterday with about 4 tax returns outstanding.
He worked on a Commission-Only Self-employed basis as a Stockbroker in an office in Scotland. He lives in Kent but rented out a flat in Scotland. He returned to Kent only 3 times a year for a week at a time to see his family.
He is asking if he can claim for his flights to/from Scotland and whether he can claim for his rent in Scotland. (He is not hopeful on either and nor am I).
He worked in Scotland from Nov 2008 to Feb 2013 (he is finishing at the end of next month).
There is no evidence he was organising his business from his home in Kent.
Any help would be most appreciated.
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,090 20
- What do your junior staff do? 105 3
- PPR Relief, 3 years for 'any reason' 306 1
- Property Purchase in Daughters Name 246 8
- Where has Portia gone? 929 40
- Practice management software 910 16
- Spousal transfer and PPR 455 14
- Career advice for ex HMRC Inspector 1,716 32
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,585 72
- Rogue Accountant 2,888 46
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 5,317 19
- HMRC Scam 298 2
- Departments in Sage 50 106 1
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 281 2
- HMRC, YouTube, ITTOIA... 323 4
- Capital Gains? 270 2
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 109 1
- Partial Exemption relating to a multi academy trust 81 1
- Is it possible to have an excel link to a different dated excel file 467 9
- Taxation of serviced offices 138 2
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 775
- RTI - duplicate employee record 515
- Pensions Regulator 442
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 397
- Sage Vat return box 2 298
- Sanzar 297
- Digital marketing focus group 280
- How do you do it 266
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 231
- Report old income 231