Self-Employed expenses Rented Accommodation
I had a new client come to me yesterday with about 4 tax returns outstanding.
He worked on a Commission-Only Self-employed basis as a Stockbroker in an office in Scotland. He lives in Kent but rented out a flat in Scotland. He returned to Kent only 3 times a year for a week at a time to see his family.
He is asking if he can claim for his flights to/from Scotland and whether he can claim for his rent in Scotland. (He is not hopeful on either and nor am I).
He worked in Scotland from Nov 2008 to Feb 2013 (he is finishing at the end of next month).
There is no evidence he was organising his business from his home in Kent.
Any help would be most appreciated.
- Community Interest Company 98 3
- Inflation and fees 1,062 18
- Quick Income tax calculation question! 404 13
- Capital allowances not claimed 19 1
- Changing shareholding ratio 158 4
- Redundancy Pay 384 5
- Physiotherapy 122 2
- Advice please! 271 1
- Unusual marketing ideas for accountants 651 6
- Do we have to honour her notice? 567 5
- Stand alone practice management software 1,263 21
- SSAS Pension scheme 101 1
- Sage Cheque Printing - Still in the dark ages! 94 1
- HMRC interview re client authorisation 315 2
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 575 13
- Do I need to see receipts ? 764 11
- ICPA 522 8
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 314 3
- New intermediaries reporting requirements 125 1
- SA1 forms 376 12
- Sainsbury's mangement 826
- Avanti Accounts 676
- Have I done the right thing? 660
- Calling franchise accountants 643
- Continuity Agreement 629
- Consolidated accounting software (or cloud based) 485
- Sage One Reports - do they add up? 356
- Scammers 329
- Becoming a subcontractor to Accountancy Practices 223
- IT Contractor 198