Selling a business after incorporation
The benefits of incorporating a sole trader or partnership business are well known; eg goodwill, amortisation, entrepreneurs relief, loan accounts, etc. However, what happens if the business is then sold to a third party a couple of years down the line for a price similar to the value agreed with HMRC on incorporation?
If the owners sell the shares then obviously the base cost would be the value at which they were subscribed (usually £1 each) and they would claim ER on the whole proceeds effectively. But if the third party purchased the underlying business from the company rather than the shares, obviously the company would have a chargeable gain.
Could the company claim the value agreed with HMRC on incorporation as its base cost and only pay tax on the increase in value since then, or would it have to pay tax on the disposal proceeds?
Common sense says that the base value must be the amount "paid" by the company otherwise most of the gain would be taxed twice, once on the original owners and then on the company. But what happens if the company has claimed amortisation of the goodwill element againmst its trading profits? It seems to me that the goodwill would then be claimed twice, first against trading profits and then against the sale proceeds.
Am I right in thinking that you can only claim the unamortised goodwill in the chargeable gain calculation or is it more complicated than that?
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 762 29
- client can't/won't pay 1,567 29
- Capital Gains Relief 97 4
- Investment from Friend 42 4
- Identity check problem 1,226 13
- A Director of a Ltd Company let a general Manager run the company, and if anything goes wrong the general manager is responsible? 143 3
- Business Set up cost 89 1
- Advice on letting a client go ? 636 12
- Aged Debtor 54 1
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 945 34
- Loss carry back in Taxfiler 70 3
- blank - ignore 490 8
- Part disposal of shareholding with CGT loss attached 80 2
- calculate mortgage interest 349 5
- Do we have to register for VAT? 441 9
- Companies House praise 224 1
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,065 14
- Most cr*p bank account ever? 164 1
- Directors NIC's 182 5
- VAT field when booking bills for organisations on VAT FRS 74 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 875
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 571
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 535
- Latest phishing scam 469
- Entrepreneurs' relief 412
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 338
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 317
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 240
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 231
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 163