Selling a business after incorporation
The benefits of incorporating a sole trader or partnership business are well known; eg goodwill, amortisation, entrepreneurs relief, loan accounts, etc. However, what happens if the business is then sold to a third party a couple of years down the line for a price similar to the value agreed with HMRC on incorporation?
If the owners sell the shares then obviously the base cost would be the value at which they were subscribed (usually £1 each) and they would claim ER on the whole proceeds effectively. But if the third party purchased the underlying business from the company rather than the shares, obviously the company would have a chargeable gain.
Could the company claim the value agreed with HMRC on incorporation as its base cost and only pay tax on the increase in value since then, or would it have to pay tax on the disposal proceeds?
Common sense says that the base value must be the amount "paid" by the company otherwise most of the gain would be taxed twice, once on the original owners and then on the company. But what happens if the company has claimed amortisation of the goodwill element againmst its trading profits? It seems to me that the goodwill would then be claimed twice, first against trading profits and then against the sale proceeds.
Am I right in thinking that you can only claim the unamortised goodwill in the chargeable gain calculation or is it more complicated than that?
- Where did it go? 208 2
- cancellation of Engagement 81 2
- Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme Charges 80 1
- Feuding directors 230 8
- VAT Registration for Building Company 86 2
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 475 12
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 77 1
- Vat threshold issues 1,887 14
- Company Accounts - Limited company 597 5
- Dispensing with accounting periods, with nested ledgers. 199 3
- Use of Home for Sole Trader 216 4
- Vodaphone Share Scheme 81 1
- Benefit fraud 3,415 49
- Fastest Software 633 9
- SA Tax Returns 147 3
- Agent Change of Postal Address 129 2
- Consolidated accounts 115 2
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 1,021 24
- How to deal with a prior year CT adjustment 353 12
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 1,397 22
- CTA study material 649
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 392
- Employment related securities question 242
- ATED Penalties 219
- AIM Stocks and IHT 197
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 164
- Trust for Employee 148
- Expat pension contributions? 147
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 133
- Capital allowances 119