Selling a business after incorporation
The benefits of incorporating a sole trader or partnership business are well known; eg goodwill, amortisation, entrepreneurs relief, loan accounts, etc. However, what happens if the business is then sold to a third party a couple of years down the line for a price similar to the value agreed with HMRC on incorporation?
If the owners sell the shares then obviously the base cost would be the value at which they were subscribed (usually £1 each) and they would claim ER on the whole proceeds effectively. But if the third party purchased the underlying business from the company rather than the shares, obviously the company would have a chargeable gain.
Could the company claim the value agreed with HMRC on incorporation as its base cost and only pay tax on the increase in value since then, or would it have to pay tax on the disposal proceeds?
Common sense says that the base value must be the amount "paid" by the company otherwise most of the gain would be taxed twice, once on the original owners and then on the company. But what happens if the company has claimed amortisation of the goodwill element againmst its trading profits? It seems to me that the goodwill would then be claimed twice, first against trading profits and then against the sale proceeds.
Am I right in thinking that you can only claim the unamortised goodwill in the chargeable gain calculation or is it more complicated than that?
- Tax repayment for 2013-14 260 6
- Should design costs be capitalised? 53 1
- Sage Payroll 58 3
- Share restructure 346 13
- Belated VAT Exception Application 164 5
- Shouldn't have filed accounts? 451 14
- VAT Deregistration - Final return 37 1
- Should a company include comparative disclosures when no current year balances? 93 4
- Audit Required 216 5
- Enforcing A CCJ 87 2
- VAT query 112 1
- How best to own a 4-way property partnership 242 4
- I have a pain 772 8
- Employment allowance and sage instant payroll 135 1
- Thread deleted. 515 15
- convert directors loan account to share capital 221 7
- non resident receiving UK dividends 112 1
- Need to upgrade from Sage 50 but to what? 205 1
- CGT and PPR and Lettings Relief? 299 6
- P11d error 449 10
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 737
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 505
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 362
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 347
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 267
- VAT on Gaming Machines 219
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 204
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 192
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 183
- Director Loan account operation 156