Selling a business after incorporation
The benefits of incorporating a sole trader or partnership business are well known; eg goodwill, amortisation, entrepreneurs relief, loan accounts, etc. However, what happens if the business is then sold to a third party a couple of years down the line for a price similar to the value agreed with HMRC on incorporation?
If the owners sell the shares then obviously the base cost would be the value at which they were subscribed (usually £1 each) and they would claim ER on the whole proceeds effectively. But if the third party purchased the underlying business from the company rather than the shares, obviously the company would have a chargeable gain.
Could the company claim the value agreed with HMRC on incorporation as its base cost and only pay tax on the increase in value since then, or would it have to pay tax on the disposal proceeds?
Common sense says that the base value must be the amount "paid" by the company otherwise most of the gain would be taxed twice, once on the original owners and then on the company. But what happens if the company has claimed amortisation of the goodwill element againmst its trading profits? It seems to me that the goodwill would then be claimed twice, first against trading profits and then against the sale proceeds.
Am I right in thinking that you can only claim the unamortised goodwill in the chargeable gain calculation or is it more complicated than that?
- Guaranteed rents - which is the turnover? 128 3
- flat rate scheme 1,927 38
- Time to react ? ? ? 278 2
- which accounts package for busy hairdressers? 131 1
- How much would you charge for an interim audit? 638 9
- Anyone else experiencing issues with sage 50 payroll 156 3
- Company Share Buy Back 139 2
- Charitable Payment 211 4
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 939 15
- Unpaid share capital 258 3
- Company car in the LLP 197 2
- Physiotherapy 345 4
- New build property to be rented 190 4
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,886 52
- Hello 362 2
- Sage 200 question 128 1
- Spanish Assets taxation - UK Residence 121 2
- Ltd Co and Fully Paid Shares 201 5
- RTI and Advances to Employees 200 3
- Sorry - another PPR question 232 4