Selling a business after incorporation
The benefits of incorporating a sole trader or partnership business are well known; eg goodwill, amortisation, entrepreneurs relief, loan accounts, etc. However, what happens if the business is then sold to a third party a couple of years down the line for a price similar to the value agreed with HMRC on incorporation?
If the owners sell the shares then obviously the base cost would be the value at which they were subscribed (usually £1 each) and they would claim ER on the whole proceeds effectively. But if the third party purchased the underlying business from the company rather than the shares, obviously the company would have a chargeable gain.
Could the company claim the value agreed with HMRC on incorporation as its base cost and only pay tax on the increase in value since then, or would it have to pay tax on the disposal proceeds?
Common sense says that the base value must be the amount "paid" by the company otherwise most of the gain would be taxed twice, once on the original owners and then on the company. But what happens if the company has claimed amortisation of the goodwill element againmst its trading profits? It seems to me that the goodwill would then be claimed twice, first against trading profits and then against the sale proceeds.
Am I right in thinking that you can only claim the unamortised goodwill in the chargeable gain calculation or is it more complicated than that?
- CIC Company 438 3
- Redundancy pay for directors? 205 7
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 430 6
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 450 9
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,802 47
- Small company audit 222 8
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 207 5
- What can my client claim r & d on? 215 5
- Problem partnership fees 124 1
- Car financed by employee 109 1
- Potential Customer Under VAT Threshold 106 1
- Undisclosed income 180 3
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 297 8
- DEATH OF A SHAREHOLDER NO SHAREHOLDER AGREEMENT 248 4
- Private Investment Company 141 1
- How familiar are accountants with community interest companies? 128 1
- New company - form a group? 202 3
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 802 17
- What are options for non CA firm 2,712 57
- Is this a scam? 826 8
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 605
- Cancelled 353
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 337
- Cancelled 288
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 260
- Probiz 248
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 204
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 189
- Car leasing scheme 186
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 179