Selling a business after incorporation
The benefits of incorporating a sole trader or partnership business are well known; eg goodwill, amortisation, entrepreneurs relief, loan accounts, etc. However, what happens if the business is then sold to a third party a couple of years down the line for a price similar to the value agreed with HMRC on incorporation?
If the owners sell the shares then obviously the base cost would be the value at which they were subscribed (usually £1 each) and they would claim ER on the whole proceeds effectively. But if the third party purchased the underlying business from the company rather than the shares, obviously the company would have a chargeable gain.
Could the company claim the value agreed with HMRC on incorporation as its base cost and only pay tax on the increase in value since then, or would it have to pay tax on the disposal proceeds?
Common sense says that the base value must be the amount "paid" by the company otherwise most of the gain would be taxed twice, once on the original owners and then on the company. But what happens if the company has claimed amortisation of the goodwill element againmst its trading profits? It seems to me that the goodwill would then be claimed twice, first against trading profits and then against the sale proceeds.
Am I right in thinking that you can only claim the unamortised goodwill in the chargeable gain calculation or is it more complicated than that?
- Company formation and bank account 169 6
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,509 44
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 464 9
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 383 8
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 160 2
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 388 8
- OneNote is fantastic 447 11
- VAT Direct Debit 348 7
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 433 8
- Self Assessment Software 676 21
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 429 13
- Self-assessment statistics 2,343 55
- Director started half way through the year no previous income. Pro rate NI 225 11
- Owning overseas property 215 1
- Fees to charge for Auto enrolment Pension for small Employers 323 3
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 278 1
- Expedia say that they can't give me a VAT invoice 682 13
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,143 21
- PPR on a development? 236 4
- PAYE – Directors NI 422 7
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 648
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 398
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 395
- Property letting & CAs 386
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 379
- 2015 tax year end 379
- FCA regulated company in a small group 338
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 246
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 234
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 229