Selling a business after incorporation
The benefits of incorporating a sole trader or partnership business are well known; eg goodwill, amortisation, entrepreneurs relief, loan accounts, etc. However, what happens if the business is then sold to a third party a couple of years down the line for a price similar to the value agreed with HMRC on incorporation?
If the owners sell the shares then obviously the base cost would be the value at which they were subscribed (usually £1 each) and they would claim ER on the whole proceeds effectively. But if the third party purchased the underlying business from the company rather than the shares, obviously the company would have a chargeable gain.
Could the company claim the value agreed with HMRC on incorporation as its base cost and only pay tax on the increase in value since then, or would it have to pay tax on the disposal proceeds?
Common sense says that the base value must be the amount "paid" by the company otherwise most of the gain would be taxed twice, once on the original owners and then on the company. But what happens if the company has claimed amortisation of the goodwill element againmst its trading profits? It seems to me that the goodwill would then be claimed twice, first against trading profits and then against the sale proceeds.
Am I right in thinking that you can only claim the unamortised goodwill in the chargeable gain calculation or is it more complicated than that?
- Amending prior year accounts for the first time? 1,373 25
- Unusual Self Employment Expense Claims? 448 6
- Sage Instant cash based flat rate 65 2
- Loan notes payment of principal and interest 55 2
- HMRC VAT misstatement disclosure 190 2
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 203 5
- are receipts needed? 214 7
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 457 27
- Sage 50 181 2
- New accountant 223 5
- sole trader - operating under cis 224 7
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,954 65
- Tax case refeence request 110 1
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 786 28
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 228 4
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,908 29
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 243 5
- Working out a daily rate 182 5
- Auto enrolment 1,251 13
- Payroll dates 143 5
- Skandia using wrong address 1,575
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 872
- International interest certificate 483
- NOVA 338
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 260
- Management expenses for investment company 230
- Bonus Bonds 229
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 228
- Help with tax codes on Sage 173
- Capital reduction 165