Selling a business after incorporation
The benefits of incorporating a sole trader or partnership business are well known; eg goodwill, amortisation, entrepreneurs relief, loan accounts, etc. However, what happens if the business is then sold to a third party a couple of years down the line for a price similar to the value agreed with HMRC on incorporation?
If the owners sell the shares then obviously the base cost would be the value at which they were subscribed (usually £1 each) and they would claim ER on the whole proceeds effectively. But if the third party purchased the underlying business from the company rather than the shares, obviously the company would have a chargeable gain.
Could the company claim the value agreed with HMRC on incorporation as its base cost and only pay tax on the increase in value since then, or would it have to pay tax on the disposal proceeds?
Common sense says that the base value must be the amount "paid" by the company otherwise most of the gain would be taxed twice, once on the original owners and then on the company. But what happens if the company has claimed amortisation of the goodwill element againmst its trading profits? It seems to me that the goodwill would then be claimed twice, first against trading profits and then against the sale proceeds.
Am I right in thinking that you can only claim the unamortised goodwill in the chargeable gain calculation or is it more complicated than that?
- The stupidity continues 809 49
- transactions after account have been closed 217 5
- What is IRIS World like? 377 9
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 349 8
- Can I claim Vat on solicitors invoices? 224 6
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 264 4
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 541 10
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 241 6
- Calculating capital gains tax for non-residents UK residential property 143 1
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,343 25
- New Employers Helpline 213 4
- Software recommendations 284 1
- Share transfer question 393 17
- qualifying for 1/9th tax credit on foreign dividend 192 2
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,473 19
- Overlap relief 764 19
- Pension contributions 386 10
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 520 11
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 225 1
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 295 8
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 440
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 438
- WIP Software 302
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 291
- No payroll scheme in place 236
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 233
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 212
- Is there anything wrong with this? 206
- Small Part Disposal of Property 192
- Uncommercial property business 183