Selling a business after incorporation
The benefits of incorporating a sole trader or partnership business are well known; eg goodwill, amortisation, entrepreneurs relief, loan accounts, etc. However, what happens if the business is then sold to a third party a couple of years down the line for a price similar to the value agreed with HMRC on incorporation?
If the owners sell the shares then obviously the base cost would be the value at which they were subscribed (usually £1 each) and they would claim ER on the whole proceeds effectively. But if the third party purchased the underlying business from the company rather than the shares, obviously the company would have a chargeable gain.
Could the company claim the value agreed with HMRC on incorporation as its base cost and only pay tax on the increase in value since then, or would it have to pay tax on the disposal proceeds?
Common sense says that the base value must be the amount "paid" by the company otherwise most of the gain would be taxed twice, once on the original owners and then on the company. But what happens if the company has claimed amortisation of the goodwill element againmst its trading profits? It seems to me that the goodwill would then be claimed twice, first against trading profits and then against the sale proceeds.
Am I right in thinking that you can only claim the unamortised goodwill in the chargeable gain calculation or is it more complicated than that?
- SATR - ommission of capital gains 61 1
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 2,250 19
- Scanners 162 4
- Overdrawn Directors Loan Account 70 1
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 149 5
- Solar panels - VAT and Capital allowances 229 3
- Recharge for private use of a company car 400 9
- Payment plans for clients 104 2
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 224 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 228 7
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 390 2
- Should I move back home away from my office? 439 9
- P60 or payslips? 88 1
- Property income in different capacities 99 1
- IHT dilemma 1,382 21
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 187 1
- IT advisory questions? 173 5
- Entrepreneurs Relief 793 44
- Has anyone else come across VAT account suspensions? 138 1
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 526 7
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,157
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 796
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 486
- Digita Hosted Software 320
- Credit where credit's due....... 270
- Director phone costs 232
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 226
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 194
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 152
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 135