Selling a business after incorporation
The benefits of incorporating a sole trader or partnership business are well known; eg goodwill, amortisation, entrepreneurs relief, loan accounts, etc. However, what happens if the business is then sold to a third party a couple of years down the line for a price similar to the value agreed with HMRC on incorporation?
If the owners sell the shares then obviously the base cost would be the value at which they were subscribed (usually £1 each) and they would claim ER on the whole proceeds effectively. But if the third party purchased the underlying business from the company rather than the shares, obviously the company would have a chargeable gain.
Could the company claim the value agreed with HMRC on incorporation as its base cost and only pay tax on the increase in value since then, or would it have to pay tax on the disposal proceeds?
Common sense says that the base value must be the amount "paid" by the company otherwise most of the gain would be taxed twice, once on the original owners and then on the company. But what happens if the company has claimed amortisation of the goodwill element againmst its trading profits? It seems to me that the goodwill would then be claimed twice, first against trading profits and then against the sale proceeds.
Am I right in thinking that you can only claim the unamortised goodwill in the chargeable gain calculation or is it more complicated than that?
- Seeking advice: Freehold Pub Lease 163 6
- Accounts Package 529 14
- Seeking advice: Paying Funeral Costs 597 7
- Share issue and transfer 48 3
- Payroll got out of synch 268 9
- Stamp duty or SDLT payable on admission to a partnership? 47 1
- Are there any auto-enrolment engagement letter templates? 804 17
- What do do about VAT? 135 3
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 560 7
- Old payroll 202 5
- HMRC Debt collectors 235 4
- Directors, service companies and national minimum wage (NMW) - Profit extraction 181 5
- Special Puprose Vehicle (SPV) company 153 4
- Winning clients from retiring accountant - ethics/morals 1,304 11
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 997 22
- Not a question but made my day 1,035 21
- VAT Caravan Residential Letting Income 108 1
- Exempt supplies and VAT registration 194 6
- To make a claim against my PI insurer 520 6
- Is it okay to make full time drivers self employed? 1,974 27
- NHS finance professionals 586
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 387
- Foreign Pension Contribution 361
- vat gross profit percentage margins 325
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 318
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 302
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 262
- Thinning income 253
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 218
- IFA income recognition & reporting 194