Service charge accounts
Have just read ICAEW technical release "Accounting for Service Charges", 01/10. Service charge monies in respect of variable service charges are subject to a statutory trust (s42 of LTA 1987). This means that they must not treat service charge funds as belonging to the company. As the transactions are not in the name of the Service Charge company the company will not have any figures to disclose and it will be dormant for the purposes of the C.A.
The commercial property I am dealing with is not entirely occupied by tenants. It is mostly occupied by the owners along with a couple of tenants. Are the service charge monies collected from the occupiers/owners subject to a statutory trust? If the answer is no, what accounting guidance can I refer to for help? Would the management company have to open a bank account in its own name (if service charge monies are not to be hold in a trust) and have all transactions in its name and therefore VAT and CT returns would need to be done, along with filing annual accounts (which are not dormant!).
If the service charge monies are subject to a statutory trust, can the company register for VAT but at the same time file dormant company accounts?
Hope someone can help!
- Incorporated company charity 73 1
- Client gets a penalty and being threatening! 232 5
- Website Content 344 3
- Entrepreneur relief and deduction of Amortisation of Goodwill Pre2002 228 7
- Closing down loss-making company 583 9
- Taxation of sinking fund contributions 418 5
- HMRC having technical difficulties 1,077 19
- Overpaid In Employers NI - RTI EYU for hundreds of employees 391 2
- Incorporate to utilise dividend allowance next year? 602 11
- Tips on meals 375 3
- Director owns 47% of shares in company A and 100% of shares in Company B. Is Company B a participator in Company A for S455 purposes? 232 2
- Stumped - IHT 436 6
- No PAYE Registration but need auto enrolment 559 12
- Transferring DLA between Directors 357 3
- Company restructure - Share valuation, ERS and PAYE 141 2
- FHLs and Entrepreneurs Relief 124 1
- Creative Auto Enrolment 849 12
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 1,423 35
- New LLP, basis of assessment and which boxes to complete? 149 3
- Rental losses on jointly owned property 291 4