Setting up on my own
I've been thinking quite a lot recently about quitting my job in a Chartered Accountants and setting up myself in business. My job is slow and not at all challenging and I've been getting increasingly lazy.
I have already written advertising letters and have a business card design ready. In addition to this, I have costed the relevant software and I have enough savings in case I don't earn enough for a while.
The main concern I have is that I'm still only part ACCA qualified. I will continue and can afford to pay for the relevant books/courses/exams etc myself.
I want to offer more than just accountancy/bookkeeping/payroll etc, but business advice too (Which my current employer doesn't).
My question is, have others done this and how have they fared? Would they recommend it?
Also, for any who have done this, what was the response from your employer knowing you would be in competition?
I'm 24, and have 4 years of practice experience where I complete a job start to finish. I'm fairly confident, but not an excessive risk taker!
Thanks in advance.
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,588 43
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 256 7
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 771 17
- CIC Company 400 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,669 57
- Is this a scam? 774 8
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 131 1
- Employment allowance (again) :( 341 2
- Mortgage to buy property in limited company 248 5
- New company - form a group? 168 2
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 187 4
- PITA client 242 3
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 378 9
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,327 33
- Dividend dates 492 8
- R&D tax credit claim 225 5
- CIS Deductions 273 3
- Estate agent and VAT registration 125 1
- is this fraud? 793 13
- Married woman dies owning marital home 501 5
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 599
- Cancelled 348
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 333
- Cancelled 285
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 256
- Probiz 244
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 192
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 177
- Car leasing scheme 176
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 159