Setting up on my own
I've been thinking quite a lot recently about quitting my job in a Chartered Accountants and setting up myself in business. My job is slow and not at all challenging and I've been getting increasingly lazy.
I have already written advertising letters and have a business card design ready. In addition to this, I have costed the relevant software and I have enough savings in case I don't earn enough for a while.
The main concern I have is that I'm still only part ACCA qualified. I will continue and can afford to pay for the relevant books/courses/exams etc myself.
I want to offer more than just accountancy/bookkeeping/payroll etc, but business advice too (Which my current employer doesn't).
My question is, have others done this and how have they fared? Would they recommend it?
Also, for any who have done this, what was the response from your employer knowing you would be in competition?
I'm 24, and have 4 years of practice experience where I complete a job start to finish. I'm fairly confident, but not an excessive risk taker!
Thanks in advance.
- Accounts note disclosure - Directors 175 4
- Budget 2015 - take two 125 1
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,234 24
- Share transfer question 233 9
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 588 11
- Trades and deadlines 92 3
- How to pay national insurance 632 18
- New Website Look 1,060 29
- Accounting for buying off bank 235 11
- Indemnity question re IR35? 210 5
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 133 4
- Marketing and email surprises 333 7
- Am I too soft? 431 13
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,179 16
- Sacked my first client 546 13
- VAT Query 125 1
- Humour me...worrying without need? 295 2
- Benefit in Kind? 254 2
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 148 3
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 511 9
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 423
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 417
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 283
- WIP Software 282
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 215
- No payroll scheme in place 212
- Software recommendations 192
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 191
- Is there anything wrong with this? 183
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 181