Setting up on my own
I've been thinking quite a lot recently about quitting my job in a Chartered Accountants and setting up myself in business. My job is slow and not at all challenging and I've been getting increasingly lazy.
I have already written advertising letters and have a business card design ready. In addition to this, I have costed the relevant software and I have enough savings in case I don't earn enough for a while.
The main concern I have is that I'm still only part ACCA qualified. I will continue and can afford to pay for the relevant books/courses/exams etc myself.
I want to offer more than just accountancy/bookkeeping/payroll etc, but business advice too (Which my current employer doesn't).
My question is, have others done this and how have they fared? Would they recommend it?
Also, for any who have done this, what was the response from your employer knowing you would be in competition?
I'm 24, and have 4 years of practice experience where I complete a job start to finish. I'm fairly confident, but not an excessive risk taker!
Thanks in advance.
- VAT Registration 368 18
- another ir35!!!! 911 4
- Offsetting CIS tax suffered against CT 34 1
- Gifting shares 218 4
- Holding companies 91 4
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 626 5
- Notes to statutory accounts 164 9
- Childminding & Wear & Tear Allowance 51 1
- VAT on motor expenses 837 30
- Two clients (married to each other) disappeared from client list 149 4
- Soil Survey Required Mortgage 170 5
- What does it mean?? 103 1
- A question about share structure 162 2
- VAT & Landlords 93 2
- Client died family to pay redundancy 189 2
- Unusual Self Employment Expense Claims? 324 5
- Rent paid by director 73 1
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 108 1
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 424 13
- Builder using cash labour 338 3
- Skandia using wrong address 1,520
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 838
- International interest certificate 455
- NOVA 313
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 196
- Bonus Bonds 195
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 194
- Management expenses for investment company 188
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 172
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 165