Setting up on my own
I've been thinking quite a lot recently about quitting my job in a Chartered Accountants and setting up myself in business. My job is slow and not at all challenging and I've been getting increasingly lazy.
I have already written advertising letters and have a business card design ready. In addition to this, I have costed the relevant software and I have enough savings in case I don't earn enough for a while.
The main concern I have is that I'm still only part ACCA qualified. I will continue and can afford to pay for the relevant books/courses/exams etc myself.
I want to offer more than just accountancy/bookkeeping/payroll etc, but business advice too (Which my current employer doesn't).
My question is, have others done this and how have they fared? Would they recommend it?
Also, for any who have done this, what was the response from your employer knowing you would be in competition?
I'm 24, and have 4 years of practice experience where I complete a job start to finish. I'm fairly confident, but not an excessive risk taker!
Thanks in advance.
- EIS 173 4
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 55 2
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 138 8
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 284 4
- Income Splitting - form 17 and DoT 63 1
- Your comments please 224 5
- CT600 deadline & shortened year end 60 1
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 87 2
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 170 2
- Transfer of Software to sister company 83 1
- CGT history of shares 135 2
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 690 14
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 189 1
- Ordering same-day transactions 115 2
- As a soletrader taxi service, would purchasing low emissions taxi-cars qualify for AIA capital allowance? 204 2
- Closing my business down 372 20
- Recording Calls 114 1
- Accounting for reversed transaction 95 1
- Scams are not always obvious 2,305 37
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,507 21
- Moving away from CCH software 960
- QROP pension input amounts 446
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 390
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 370
- fraud 292
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 266
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 235
- Construction CIS LLP Company 222
- EPS and CIS deductions 213
- Out of time or not? 199