Setting up on my own
I've been thinking quite a lot recently about quitting my job in a Chartered Accountants and setting up myself in business. My job is slow and not at all challenging and I've been getting increasingly lazy.
I have already written advertising letters and have a business card design ready. In addition to this, I have costed the relevant software and I have enough savings in case I don't earn enough for a while.
The main concern I have is that I'm still only part ACCA qualified. I will continue and can afford to pay for the relevant books/courses/exams etc myself.
I want to offer more than just accountancy/bookkeeping/payroll etc, but business advice too (Which my current employer doesn't).
My question is, have others done this and how have they fared? Would they recommend it?
Also, for any who have done this, what was the response from your employer knowing you would be in competition?
I'm 24, and have 4 years of practice experience where I complete a job start to finish. I'm fairly confident, but not an excessive risk taker!
Thanks in advance.
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 70 2
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 361 9
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 202 5
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 140 2
- Merging my businesses 195 3
- Spousal transfer and PPR 559 19
- Where has Portia gone? 1,971 66
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 457 8
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 332 9
- Sage Vat return box 2 326 1
- Holiday entitlement 576 11
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 481 12
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 319 7
- Capital allowances on taxis 141 1
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 147 2
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 927 21
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 225 3
- Sage line 50 payment before invoice date 210 11
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 426 10
- Property Purchase in Daughters Name 358 9
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 791
- RTI - duplicate employee record 554
- Pensions Regulator 450
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 410
- Sanzar 313
- Portia ... Where art thou 303
- Digital marketing focus group 297
- How do you do it 292
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 271
- new investor structure 176