Setting up on my own
I've been thinking quite a lot recently about quitting my job in a Chartered Accountants and setting up myself in business. My job is slow and not at all challenging and I've been getting increasingly lazy.
I have already written advertising letters and have a business card design ready. In addition to this, I have costed the relevant software and I have enough savings in case I don't earn enough for a while.
The main concern I have is that I'm still only part ACCA qualified. I will continue and can afford to pay for the relevant books/courses/exams etc myself.
I want to offer more than just accountancy/bookkeeping/payroll etc, but business advice too (Which my current employer doesn't).
My question is, have others done this and how have they fared? Would they recommend it?
Also, for any who have done this, what was the response from your employer knowing you would be in competition?
I'm 24, and have 4 years of practice experience where I complete a job start to finish. I'm fairly confident, but not an excessive risk taker!
Thanks in advance.
- Closing down - who should buy whom? 687 33
- English Company Owning Property in Scotland 183 1
- NI Contributions in order to claim state pension 277 5
- Lack of Quickbooks Online Coverage 347 6
- Risk Indicators Survey 132 1
- Deceased's Tax Return to date of death 75 1
- Jointly owned property 73 1
- Unpaid Fee's 618 10
- cold file reviewer needed 320 3
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 926 17
- Professional Qualification 286 2
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 319 1
- Late Filing SA due to property income, individual was also a non dom for 15 years 191 11
- VAT margin scheme 155 11
- Auto-enrolment drivel 789 13
- We contribute a percentage of employees' salaries to a pension scheme set up by them - do we need to get involved in auto-enrolment? 224 3
- Company Dividends Received 170 2
- Is Corp tax payable on legacy received by bowls Club? 156 1
- Client information from previous accountant 490 8
- Question regarding A1 Form 183 1
- Possible Partnership? 531
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 525
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 472
- New Fangled Penalties 329
- Clubs and Taxable Income 272
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 263
- Loans to other companies 207
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 189
- Outsource Data Entry 158
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 157