Setting up on my own
I've been thinking quite a lot recently about quitting my job in a Chartered Accountants and setting up myself in business. My job is slow and not at all challenging and I've been getting increasingly lazy.
I have already written advertising letters and have a business card design ready. In addition to this, I have costed the relevant software and I have enough savings in case I don't earn enough for a while.
The main concern I have is that I'm still only part ACCA qualified. I will continue and can afford to pay for the relevant books/courses/exams etc myself.
I want to offer more than just accountancy/bookkeeping/payroll etc, but business advice too (Which my current employer doesn't).
My question is, have others done this and how have they fared? Would they recommend it?
Also, for any who have done this, what was the response from your employer knowing you would be in competition?
I'm 24, and have 4 years of practice experience where I complete a job start to finish. I'm fairly confident, but not an excessive risk taker!
Thanks in advance.
- VAT - How hard is it? 814 30
- The importance of Grammar 1,444 47
- What would you do? 440 3
- Complicated situation with very old balances from previous accountant 326 7
- tax saving on card points 285 8
- "cycle to work" and self-employment benefit? 333 8
- Tax Implications on Child Benefits 252 2
- Freelance/Employee 135 5
- Moneysoft - technical query 550 17
- Profit split from an investment property 237 7
- VAT & Offshore Companies 259 7
- VAT and customer entertaining 262 4
- Hold on a minute (pun intended) 1,332 11
- Xero Pain Points 577 18
- supply teachers working through Ltd co 205 2
- Best way to draw a salary? 731 12
- PI cover 260 4
- 2014/15 Tax calculation spread sheet 981 15
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,495 39
- IRIS OpenSpace won't upload CT600 properly 282 6
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 377
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 335
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 314
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 301
- Electric Car 254
- S222 Charge 220
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 216
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 202
- Company Structure 197
- Does anyone know the name and postal address of HMRC's Data controller? 189