Setting up on my own
I've been thinking quite a lot recently about quitting my job in a Chartered Accountants and setting up myself in business. My job is slow and not at all challenging and I've been getting increasingly lazy.
I have already written advertising letters and have a business card design ready. In addition to this, I have costed the relevant software and I have enough savings in case I don't earn enough for a while.
The main concern I have is that I'm still only part ACCA qualified. I will continue and can afford to pay for the relevant books/courses/exams etc myself.
I want to offer more than just accountancy/bookkeeping/payroll etc, but business advice too (Which my current employer doesn't).
My question is, have others done this and how have they fared? Would they recommend it?
Also, for any who have done this, what was the response from your employer knowing you would be in competition?
I'm 24, and have 4 years of practice experience where I complete a job start to finish. I'm fairly confident, but not an excessive risk taker!
Thanks in advance.
- recovery of S455 on informal winding 299 5
- Partnership Registration 62 2
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 879 36
- Owners loan to business - is interest taxable 87 2
- Would this save hours of your time? 659 12
- Audit Required 1,176 22
- HMRC to sell our tax data to private companies 293 9
- Residential Management Companies 76 2
- Value pricing 2,842 37
- Problems with CT600 filing 389 5
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 382 11
- Payroll software for Mac 115 1
- Online / Cloud Data Back Up 102 2
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 211 5
- CIS and Close Company 199 6
- LLP members share of profits 635 32
- Late P800 demand shows later year? 424 20
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 137 4
- Employment support allowance and self employed 102 1
- Registered Office 110 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 940
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 659
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 392
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 330
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 256
- Paye procedures for CVA 246
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 242
- Expenses Re-imbursed on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 193
- Compliance Checks - Time limits 188
- Pension Fixed Protection 184