Setting up on my own
I've been thinking quite a lot recently about quitting my job in a Chartered Accountants and setting up myself in business. My job is slow and not at all challenging and I've been getting increasingly lazy.
I have already written advertising letters and have a business card design ready. In addition to this, I have costed the relevant software and I have enough savings in case I don't earn enough for a while.
The main concern I have is that I'm still only part ACCA qualified. I will continue and can afford to pay for the relevant books/courses/exams etc myself.
I want to offer more than just accountancy/bookkeeping/payroll etc, but business advice too (Which my current employer doesn't).
My question is, have others done this and how have they fared? Would they recommend it?
Also, for any who have done this, what was the response from your employer knowing you would be in competition?
I'm 24, and have 4 years of practice experience where I complete a job start to finish. I'm fairly confident, but not an excessive risk taker!
Thanks in advance.
- New Client in dispute with old accountant 469 10
- Declined for business bank account 249 6
- Any Scottish members out there? 7,629 284
- Help with Mortgage Application? 483 7
- planning to be self employed bookkeeper what do i need to do before i start? 183 3
- Disclosure of pending convertible loan notes? 213 10
- Standard 'email' template system 883 14
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,029 14
- How to complete annual VAT return online? 219 4
- Irish VAT Deferred payment 96 1
- Circular shareholding 236 6
- Starting as sole trader from abroad 193 6
- business card address 313 8
- VAT relief eligibilty for charity buying minibus 214 2
- Loan to a related company 110 1
- Artificially reducing profits by bonus accrual 663 26
- Repairs after a rental business ends 339 10
- Can anyone recommend a good document scanner? 275 8
- property rental income split 136 1
- Expenses of overseas employment 139 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,116
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 368
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 300
- National Insurance 269
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 240
- Payments on account coded out?? 230
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 223
- Non Resident 188
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 184
- Franchise income and costs 178