Setting up on my own
I've been thinking quite a lot recently about quitting my job in a Chartered Accountants and setting up myself in business. My job is slow and not at all challenging and I've been getting increasingly lazy.
I have already written advertising letters and have a business card design ready. In addition to this, I have costed the relevant software and I have enough savings in case I don't earn enough for a while.
The main concern I have is that I'm still only part ACCA qualified. I will continue and can afford to pay for the relevant books/courses/exams etc myself.
I want to offer more than just accountancy/bookkeeping/payroll etc, but business advice too (Which my current employer doesn't).
My question is, have others done this and how have they fared? Would they recommend it?
Also, for any who have done this, what was the response from your employer knowing you would be in competition?
I'm 24, and have 4 years of practice experience where I complete a job start to finish. I'm fairly confident, but not an excessive risk taker!
Thanks in advance.
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,730 21
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 542 11
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 367 5
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 199 3
- Incorporation of gp practise 127 1
- Love is in the air 384 5
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 247 9
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,997 46
- Very large share capital by mistake 283 3
- Client Paperwork Retention? 528 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 553 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 303 4
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 325 2
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 372 9
- Reimbursing director travel costs 425 6
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 427 8
- Sage 50 VAT Return 260 2
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 523 1
- Paying Son 680 18
- HMRC accounting 413 3
- DTA tie-breaker issue 295
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 279
- CGT for NOn UK residents 278
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 273
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 249
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 235
- Apprenticeship Levy 232
- Capital Gains personal representatives 217
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 210
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 190