Setting up on my own
I've been thinking quite a lot recently about quitting my job in a Chartered Accountants and setting up myself in business. My job is slow and not at all challenging and I've been getting increasingly lazy.
I have already written advertising letters and have a business card design ready. In addition to this, I have costed the relevant software and I have enough savings in case I don't earn enough for a while.
The main concern I have is that I'm still only part ACCA qualified. I will continue and can afford to pay for the relevant books/courses/exams etc myself.
I want to offer more than just accountancy/bookkeeping/payroll etc, but business advice too (Which my current employer doesn't).
My question is, have others done this and how have they fared? Would they recommend it?
Also, for any who have done this, what was the response from your employer knowing you would be in competition?
I'm 24, and have 4 years of practice experience where I complete a job start to finish. I'm fairly confident, but not an excessive risk taker!
Thanks in advance.
- Gift or Capital Gain? 37 2
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 132 2
- I think I'm developing an anger issue 2,156 30
- How long to prepare monthly management accounts 1,293 20
- Tax tribunal strike rates 80 1
- Profit split on buy-to let 248 4
- Is this acceptable advice for limited co 865 21
- HMRC Getting Extra Tough? 256 1
- ATED-Related CGT returns 279 2
- Incorporation haulier 244 1
- Is this a scam? 1,127 19
- SDLT on Land Transfer to Connected Company and Averaging Relief 232 19
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 151 3
- Sage at it again? 110 1
- Ceasing to trade when legal action being taken.. 120 1
- paid or unpaid - who knows! 330 5
- Are sheepdog winnings taxable? 807 7
- ESC A19? 333 1
- break even point 437 13
- Setting up an offshore company 226 3
- Overseas Sales 519
- Benchmarking 455
- Possible Partnership? 401
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 389
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 364
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 302
- Wednesday rant 277
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 186
- Which PayPal transactions can I ignore? 170
- Filing Corporation Tax Return for a company that only has investment income 164