Setting up on my own
I've been thinking quite a lot recently about quitting my job in a Chartered Accountants and setting up myself in business. My job is slow and not at all challenging and I've been getting increasingly lazy.
I have already written advertising letters and have a business card design ready. In addition to this, I have costed the relevant software and I have enough savings in case I don't earn enough for a while.
The main concern I have is that I'm still only part ACCA qualified. I will continue and can afford to pay for the relevant books/courses/exams etc myself.
I want to offer more than just accountancy/bookkeeping/payroll etc, but business advice too (Which my current employer doesn't).
My question is, have others done this and how have they fared? Would they recommend it?
Also, for any who have done this, what was the response from your employer knowing you would be in competition?
I'm 24, and have 4 years of practice experience where I complete a job start to finish. I'm fairly confident, but not an excessive risk taker!
Thanks in advance.
- Self Assessment penalties again 234 3
- are we that stupid 748 17
- Flat Management Company 157 1
- Share structure questions - close company 121 2
- Roll old capital gain into current one or declare separately? 142 4
- Income prior to company formation 318 9
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 708 12
- Inexpensive CRM for small accountancy practice? 266 5
- Forbes Computer Systems - Practice Management (CRM) 104 1
- Can I sell my own equipment to my business? 489 5
- Practice software 1,396 20
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 353 1
- Company leaving VAT group 159 4
- Starting your response in the subject line of the form 602 18
- Staff training 1,541 13
- Spread Betting and Forex Trading 276 3
- Goodwill on incorporation 249 2
- Company Strike off 294 10
- Is there a UK CGT base cost on the sale of these shares? 178 1
- Company Limited by Guarantee 269 4
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 327
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 286
- French ConnectionUK 264
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 242
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 215
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 213
- Tax surcharge appeal - where to send ? 150
- Agricultural Flat Rate Scheme 146
- Indian Provident Fund 145
- E-mailing customer invoices in VT Transaction+ 139