Setting up on my own
I've been thinking quite a lot recently about quitting my job in a Chartered Accountants and setting up myself in business. My job is slow and not at all challenging and I've been getting increasingly lazy.
I have already written advertising letters and have a business card design ready. In addition to this, I have costed the relevant software and I have enough savings in case I don't earn enough for a while.
The main concern I have is that I'm still only part ACCA qualified. I will continue and can afford to pay for the relevant books/courses/exams etc myself.
I want to offer more than just accountancy/bookkeeping/payroll etc, but business advice too (Which my current employer doesn't).
My question is, have others done this and how have they fared? Would they recommend it?
Also, for any who have done this, what was the response from your employer knowing you would be in competition?
I'm 24, and have 4 years of practice experience where I complete a job start to finish. I'm fairly confident, but not an excessive risk taker!
Thanks in advance.
- SAGE - Filtering Inactive Suppliers/Customers 114 2
- Personal allowance 410 10
- Workshops centred around Xero 458 12
- Limited Companies, Directors Employer Registration P11D 137 3
- Scams are not always obvious 685 19
- RTI, no payroll but BIK 112 1
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 108 2
- VAT on long lease in comercial property thathas opted to Tax 88 3
- Related party disclosures 169 3
- Input vat on my fees after deregistration 179 2
- Charity Buildings and Zero-rated Vat 75 1
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 611 17
- 100% FYA, do I have to cliam all of it in 1 year? 227 4
- Vat query - EU customer requesting invoice without charging vat 247 8
- Is this legal? 622 9
- Market Value/Connected Persons 187 7
- Saying NO to a time wasters 1,990 23
- Cells from many sheets 124 2
- Taxation of rental income 206 4
- notice of consent by surrendering company group relief 137 6
- New Fangled Penalties 1,041
- Moving away from CCH software 902
- Recruitment agencies 528
- QROP pension input amounts 410
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 362
- Deemed Employment Payment 344
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 307
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 298
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 217
- fraud 215