Share buyback and Entrepreneurs' Relief
Where a 50% shareholder is looking to exit and satisfy capital treatment under company purchase of his shares but enters a multiple completion contract as company has insufficient distributable reserves and cash to complete in one payment, will the accumulation of cash temporarily invested until the next staged completion date result in a problem for qualifying for Entrepreneurs' Relief ?
The trade benefit test will be satisfied for purchase of own shares capital treatment but will HMRC consider the temporarily invested funds over a 2-3 years with staged buyback completions to be a non trade asset as being used to buy out a shareholder (albeit for the benefit of the trade in future).
Has anyone had experience of this and is a non statutory clearance worth considering to clarify the position with HMRC if sums involved are large?
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,186 41
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 215 6
- Xerocon 2016 1,006 23
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 225 7
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 583 12
- Personal Tax 481 11
- USA Tax Query 152 1
- Disengagement Help! 1,658 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 942 6
- Expenses paid by director (the comapny owner) 273 2
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 597 18
- Corrupt Excel File 674 10
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 347 4
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,975 43
- Locked Out of HMRC Online Account - HMRC Not Responding 290 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 401 7
- Capital Gain on Share Disposal with Held Over Gains 164 1
- 64-8's amazingly quick 315 4
- last minute request 503 5
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,253 46