Should a masters business degree holder start with AAT or not?
My question is whether a career-changer, moving into accounting and holding a master’s degree in business, should start at AAT L3 and L4 (assume exempt L2), or should they go straight into ACCA/ ACA/ CIMA professional studies.
If you could suspend judgement and take in a few specific details…
Aims: to secure a finance-related job a.s.a.p. in this tough market, to have a solid grounding in financial accounting and to be a management accountant within 3 yrs.
Background: Nil accounting experience (career change from marketing), investing for 10 yrs (i.e. financial statements and asset/ project valuations) and MBA 5yrs ago.
If you were in this [messy!] position, which path would you consider best?:
1. Self-study CIMA’s foundation certificate and then begin the CIMA professional pathway of exams for Operational F1, P1, F2 etc. and seek no exemptions (except perhaps E1), or
2. Begin the exams for AAT L3 and L4 and then take CIMA’s “CMGA”, where MBA graduates take one exam at Management level and then start Strategic’s P3 etc. afterwards (i.e. exempt from all 3 Operational exams as well as 3 separate Management exams).
(Both paths will take roughly the same amount of time to reach CIMA Strategic.
Option 2 may seem a little strange, but it would fit the 3 aims mentioned.
Please help- I’m in a real pickle, since studying syllabuses and texts only guides you so far.
- Director started half way through the year no previous income. Pro rate NI 50 4
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,332 36
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 40 1
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 323 7
- Fees to charge for Auto enrolment Pension for small Employers 247 3
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 253 1
- OneNote is fantastic 220 7
- Expedia say that they can't give me a VAT invoice 661 13
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,111 21
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 79 1
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 334 5
- PPR on a development? 230 4
- PAYE – Directors NI 357 7
- Do I walk away from these accounts? 904 19
- Private Residence Relief 1,795 15
- Cloud accounting package 199 1
- Incorporation after the start of trading 1,025 39
- Setting up offshore to avoid paying VAT 519 15
- Offshore company (Guernsey / Isle of Man) 205 3
- Next Move 416 12
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 637
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 397
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 395
- Property letting & CAs 382
- 2015 tax year end 375
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 374
- FCA regulated company in a small group 336
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 229
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 226
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 206