Should a masters business degree holder start with AAT or not?
My question is whether a career-changer, moving into accounting and holding a master’s degree in business, should start at AAT L3 and L4 (assume exempt L2), or should they go straight into ACCA/ ACA/ CIMA professional studies.
If you could suspend judgement and take in a few specific details…
Aims: to secure a finance-related job a.s.a.p. in this tough market, to have a solid grounding in financial accounting and to be a management accountant within 3 yrs.
Background: Nil accounting experience (career change from marketing), investing for 10 yrs (i.e. financial statements and asset/ project valuations) and MBA 5yrs ago.
If you were in this [messy!] position, which path would you consider best?:
1. Self-study CIMA’s foundation certificate and then begin the CIMA professional pathway of exams for Operational F1, P1, F2 etc. and seek no exemptions (except perhaps E1), or
2. Begin the exams for AAT L3 and L4 and then take CIMA’s “CMGA”, where MBA graduates take one exam at Management level and then start Strategic’s P3 etc. afterwards (i.e. exempt from all 3 Operational exams as well as 3 separate Management exams).
(Both paths will take roughly the same amount of time to reach CIMA Strategic.
Option 2 may seem a little strange, but it would fit the 3 aims mentioned.
Please help- I’m in a real pickle, since studying syllabuses and texts only guides you so far.
- Wear & Tear Allowances 302 7
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 1,396 19
- That old chestnut 337 7
- Supply to Irish State Body 215 2
- Free Agent - Payments on Account 326 6
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 272 3
- Non controlling shares - how to set up 246 9
- Donaldson v HMRC - result?? 212 3
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 200 4
- Loss on cessation of sole trade 110 1
- Helping clients with bookkeeping but not a bookkeeper 722 18
- MAAT vs ACCA 1,954 35
- IR35 - relationship of WIP 660 6
- How to tell HMRC Limited Co. is active 209 3
- Tax relief for Director incurring business expenses on his credit card 201 2
- Repair or improvement? 428 7
- National Insurance. 150 1
- Trust tax return 171 1
- VAT on land sale 163 6
- Property Development 321 7
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 406
- CTA study material 359
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 268
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 250
- new capital structure ltd with investors 201
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 199
- Pre incorp expenses 197
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 180
- Slight twist on employment related securities 169
- Accommodation provided to employees for short term contract away from home 153