Should a masters business degree holder start with AAT or not?
My question is whether a career-changer, moving into accounting and holding a master’s degree in business, should start at AAT L3 and L4 (assume exempt L2), or should they go straight into ACCA/ ACA/ CIMA professional studies.
If you could suspend judgement and take in a few specific details…
Aims: to secure a finance-related job a.s.a.p. in this tough market, to have a solid grounding in financial accounting and to be a management accountant within 3 yrs.
Background: Nil accounting experience (career change from marketing), investing for 10 yrs (i.e. financial statements and asset/ project valuations) and MBA 5yrs ago.
If you were in this [messy!] position, which path would you consider best?:
1. Self-study CIMA’s foundation certificate and then begin the CIMA professional pathway of exams for Operational F1, P1, F2 etc. and seek no exemptions (except perhaps E1), or
2. Begin the exams for AAT L3 and L4 and then take CIMA’s “CMGA”, where MBA graduates take one exam at Management level and then start Strategic’s P3 etc. afterwards (i.e. exempt from all 3 Operational exams as well as 3 separate Management exams).
(Both paths will take roughly the same amount of time to reach CIMA Strategic.
Option 2 may seem a little strange, but it would fit the 3 aims mentioned.
Please help- I’m in a real pickle, since studying syllabuses and texts only guides you so far.
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 943 29
- You know its over 323 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 482 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 209 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 163 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 151 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 227 3
- Cocaine anyone? 500 8
- Late Registration for VAT 480 13
- EIS/SEIS 135 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 270 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 409 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 417 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 708 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 550 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 585 4
- Personal pension 398 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 221 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,213 11
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 167 3
- Hive up 489
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 454
- corporate hierarchy 433
- Advice - 271
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 224
- WWOOFers 216
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 205
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 194
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 175
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 173