Should a masters business degree holder start with AAT or not?
My question is whether a career-changer, moving into accounting and holding a master’s degree in business, should start at AAT L3 and L4 (assume exempt L2), or should they go straight into ACCA/ ACA/ CIMA professional studies.
If you could suspend judgement and take in a few specific details…
Aims: to secure a finance-related job a.s.a.p. in this tough market, to have a solid grounding in financial accounting and to be a management accountant within 3 yrs.
Background: Nil accounting experience (career change from marketing), investing for 10 yrs (i.e. financial statements and asset/ project valuations) and MBA 5yrs ago.
If you were in this [messy!] position, which path would you consider best?:
1. Self-study CIMA’s foundation certificate and then begin the CIMA professional pathway of exams for Operational F1, P1, F2 etc. and seek no exemptions (except perhaps E1), or
2. Begin the exams for AAT L3 and L4 and then take CIMA’s “CMGA”, where MBA graduates take one exam at Management level and then start Strategic’s P3 etc. afterwards (i.e. exempt from all 3 Operational exams as well as 3 separate Management exams).
(Both paths will take roughly the same amount of time to reach CIMA Strategic.
Option 2 may seem a little strange, but it would fit the 3 aims mentioned.
Please help- I’m in a real pickle, since studying syllabuses and texts only guides you so far.
- Remittances 115 1
- Import Sales Invoices into Sage Instant 108 1
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 187 1
- Shareholder agreement 197 4
- Corporation tax due date confusion 117 2
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,494 21
- Accountants' Error 767 16
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 170 5
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 168 3
- Scoot 215 4
- Zero Rated VAT on New Building 168 2
- Tax code for Companies House fees 232 3
- G'day IPA-IFA 670 11
- VAT customer is registered in France, goods shipped to the UK 123 1
- Regaining my qualification 249 2
- Self-Assessment - NIC Exemption 251 2
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 282 2
- Auto enrolment 223 3
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 202 3
- Company Reorganisation 176 3
- Skandia using wrong address 1,461
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 777
- Any views 706
- HMRC Employers Diary 527
- International interest certificate 428
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 397
- Sale of business 360
- NOVA 264
- Advertising services? 262
- IRIS Open Books problem 255