Should a masters business degree holder start with AAT or not?
My question is whether a career-changer, moving into accounting and holding a master’s degree in business, should start at AAT L3 and L4 (assume exempt L2), or should they go straight into ACCA/ ACA/ CIMA professional studies.
If you could suspend judgement and take in a few specific details…
Aims: to secure a finance-related job a.s.a.p. in this tough market, to have a solid grounding in financial accounting and to be a management accountant within 3 yrs.
Background: Nil accounting experience (career change from marketing), investing for 10 yrs (i.e. financial statements and asset/ project valuations) and MBA 5yrs ago.
If you were in this [messy!] position, which path would you consider best?:
1. Self-study CIMA’s foundation certificate and then begin the CIMA professional pathway of exams for Operational F1, P1, F2 etc. and seek no exemptions (except perhaps E1), or
2. Begin the exams for AAT L3 and L4 and then take CIMA’s “CMGA”, where MBA graduates take one exam at Management level and then start Strategic’s P3 etc. afterwards (i.e. exempt from all 3 Operational exams as well as 3 separate Management exams).
(Both paths will take roughly the same amount of time to reach CIMA Strategic.
Option 2 may seem a little strange, but it would fit the 3 aims mentioned.
Please help- I’m in a real pickle, since studying syllabuses and texts only guides you so far.
- Go Cardless 228 8
- business entertaining deductibility 79 1
- Disengaging a client who uses our office as a registered office address 741 17
- Self assessment tax arrears 76 2
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 873 51
- R & D 89 3
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 205 1
- Shareholder/Directors termination payments 55 1
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 91 2
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 115 3
- Payroll software with annual pay period? 103 1
- New Business Registration 201 5
- Audit rules 129 3
- Hosted email exchange 116 4
- Excel formula for UK corporation tax including losses 131 1
- G P life time allowance 99 3
- Why will HMRC not code out my client's £1,730 underpayment for 12/13 359 11
- Bringing money to Uk 202 3
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 113 1
- Accounting for investment club gains 105 2
- Xtuple 497
- Qtac payroll for bureau 332
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 276
- Industrial & Provident Societies 272
- Mehjoo 216
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 214
- New strategic report 168
- Domain name sale and limited company 153
- South African Government Pension 148
- CIS schemes 143