Should a masters business degree holder start with AAT or not?
My question is whether a career-changer, moving into accounting and holding a master’s degree in business, should start at AAT L3 and L4 (assume exempt L2), or should they go straight into ACCA/ ACA/ CIMA professional studies.
If you could suspend judgement and take in a few specific details…
Aims: to secure a finance-related job a.s.a.p. in this tough market, to have a solid grounding in financial accounting and to be a management accountant within 3 yrs.
Background: Nil accounting experience (career change from marketing), investing for 10 yrs (i.e. financial statements and asset/ project valuations) and MBA 5yrs ago.
If you were in this [messy!] position, which path would you consider best?:
1. Self-study CIMA’s foundation certificate and then begin the CIMA professional pathway of exams for Operational F1, P1, F2 etc. and seek no exemptions (except perhaps E1), or
2. Begin the exams for AAT L3 and L4 and then take CIMA’s “CMGA”, where MBA graduates take one exam at Management level and then start Strategic’s P3 etc. afterwards (i.e. exempt from all 3 Operational exams as well as 3 separate Management exams).
(Both paths will take roughly the same amount of time to reach CIMA Strategic.
Option 2 may seem a little strange, but it would fit the 3 aims mentioned.
Please help- I’m in a real pickle, since studying syllabuses and texts only guides you so far.
- Non-resident employer & employee 93 4
- Inheritance Tax - Simple Question 103 3
- Capital Allowances 125 4
- equipment rental 210 10
- Just because it's Friday 177 4
- Acquisition by company 84 5
- Non sequitur 512 7
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 1,442 23
- R&D on products not sold 92 3
- Distance between Postcodes in Excel 854 13
- Tech Champion of the Year 225 5
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 191 4
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 620 9
- Transfer of land to family members 77 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 570 11
- The process of issuing dividend? 185 6
- Not registered for VAT. Germany wants proof! 207 5
- Pattern for CTA 317 7
- Incorrect Accounts. Is it worth taking action against the old accountant? 1,387 8
- R185 (Estates) in final year of administration 89 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,360
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 436
- Alphabet shares 237
- Agent fees to sell business 230
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 224
- Charge out rates in London 174
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 167
- which entity 147
- UK tax regime 'attractive' to investors, says KPMG 142
- confusion about 140