Should a masters business degree holder start with AAT or not?
My question is whether a career-changer, moving into accounting and holding a master’s degree in business, should start at AAT L3 and L4 (assume exempt L2), or should they go straight into ACCA/ ACA/ CIMA professional studies.
If you could suspend judgement and take in a few specific details…
Aims: to secure a finance-related job a.s.a.p. in this tough market, to have a solid grounding in financial accounting and to be a management accountant within 3 yrs.
Background: Nil accounting experience (career change from marketing), investing for 10 yrs (i.e. financial statements and asset/ project valuations) and MBA 5yrs ago.
If you were in this [messy!] position, which path would you consider best?:
1. Self-study CIMA’s foundation certificate and then begin the CIMA professional pathway of exams for Operational F1, P1, F2 etc. and seek no exemptions (except perhaps E1), or
2. Begin the exams for AAT L3 and L4 and then take CIMA’s “CMGA”, where MBA graduates take one exam at Management level and then start Strategic’s P3 etc. afterwards (i.e. exempt from all 3 Operational exams as well as 3 separate Management exams).
(Both paths will take roughly the same amount of time to reach CIMA Strategic.
Option 2 may seem a little strange, but it would fit the 3 aims mentioned.
Please help- I’m in a real pickle, since studying syllabuses and texts only guides you so far.
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 694 19
- Marriage Allowance 178 3
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 1,056 12
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 338 4
- S455 and February year ends 228 7
- No PAYE Registration but need auto enrolment 385 9
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 1,240 32
- HMRC having technical difficulties 779 18
- Closing down loss-making company 403 5
- S.455 Tax again 267 3
- New Build 323 2
- Taxation of sinking fund contributions 365 4
- Mortgage Reference 774 10
- RTI offline? 166 1
- Right To Manage Company 255 4
- Day allowance working in Qatar 159 1
- Giving shares away 323 6
- Entrepreneurs relief after enhancement 619 5
- Incorporate to utilise dividend allowance next year? 269 5
- Where to post pension on sa100 206 4