Should a masters business degree holder start with AAT or not?
My question is whether a career-changer, moving into accounting and holding a master’s degree in business, should start at AAT L3 and L4 (assume exempt L2), or should they go straight into ACCA/ ACA/ CIMA professional studies.
If you could suspend judgement and take in a few specific details…
Aims: to secure a finance-related job a.s.a.p. in this tough market, to have a solid grounding in financial accounting and to be a management accountant within 3 yrs.
Background: Nil accounting experience (career change from marketing), investing for 10 yrs (i.e. financial statements and asset/ project valuations) and MBA 5yrs ago.
If you were in this [messy!] position, which path would you consider best?:
1. Self-study CIMA’s foundation certificate and then begin the CIMA professional pathway of exams for Operational F1, P1, F2 etc. and seek no exemptions (except perhaps E1), or
2. Begin the exams for AAT L3 and L4 and then take CIMA’s “CMGA”, where MBA graduates take one exam at Management level and then start Strategic’s P3 etc. afterwards (i.e. exempt from all 3 Operational exams as well as 3 separate Management exams).
(Both paths will take roughly the same amount of time to reach CIMA Strategic.
Option 2 may seem a little strange, but it would fit the 3 aims mentioned.
Please help- I’m in a real pickle, since studying syllabuses and texts only guides you so far.
- recompense capital input 207 12
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 743 15
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,151 22
- Spousal transfer and PPR 701 31
- Overseas business trip - accompanied by family 78 1
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 257 8
- Exports/Dispatches - non VAT registered 106 2
- Capital allowances on taxis 234 2
- CT losses carry back 110 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 547 17
- help guys! self employed or still company income? 176 2
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 773 19
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 420 12
- Where has Portia gone? 2,283 68
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 158 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 184 3
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 233 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 993 22
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 221 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 265 5
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 800
- RTI - duplicate employee record 566
- Pensions Regulator 455
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 414
- Portia ... Where art thou 337
- Sanzar 317
- How do you do it 304
- Digital marketing focus group 300
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 274
- new investor structure 185