Should a masters business degree holder start with AAT or not?
My question is whether a career-changer, moving into accounting and holding a master’s degree in business, should start at AAT L3 and L4 (assume exempt L2), or should they go straight into ACCA/ ACA/ CIMA professional studies.
If you could suspend judgement and take in a few specific details…
Aims: to secure a finance-related job a.s.a.p. in this tough market, to have a solid grounding in financial accounting and to be a management accountant within 3 yrs.
Background: Nil accounting experience (career change from marketing), investing for 10 yrs (i.e. financial statements and asset/ project valuations) and MBA 5yrs ago.
If you were in this [messy!] position, which path would you consider best?:
1. Self-study CIMA’s foundation certificate and then begin the CIMA professional pathway of exams for Operational F1, P1, F2 etc. and seek no exemptions (except perhaps E1), or
2. Begin the exams for AAT L3 and L4 and then take CIMA’s “CMGA”, where MBA graduates take one exam at Management level and then start Strategic’s P3 etc. afterwards (i.e. exempt from all 3 Operational exams as well as 3 separate Management exams).
(Both paths will take roughly the same amount of time to reach CIMA Strategic.
Option 2 may seem a little strange, but it would fit the 3 aims mentioned.
Please help- I’m in a real pickle, since studying syllabuses and texts only guides you so far.
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 237 7
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 756 17
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,551 42
- CIC Company 384 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,651 57
- Is this a scam? 757 8
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 116 1
- Employment allowance (again) :( 329 2
- Mortgage to buy property in limited company 236 5
- New company - form a group? 157 2
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 175 4
- PITA client 217 3
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 366 9
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,313 33
- Dividend dates 490 8
- R&D tax credit claim 218 5
- CIS Deductions 272 3
- Estate agent and VAT registration 115 1
- is this fraud? 789 13
- Married woman dies owning marital home 496 5
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 598
- Cancelled 347
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 332
- Cancelled 283
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 255
- Probiz 242
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 187
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 177
- Car leasing scheme 176
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 156