Should a masters business degree holder start with AAT or not?
My question is whether a career-changer, moving into accounting and holding a master’s degree in business, should start at AAT L3 and L4 (assume exempt L2), or should they go straight into ACCA/ ACA/ CIMA professional studies.
If you could suspend judgement and take in a few specific details…
Aims: to secure a finance-related job a.s.a.p. in this tough market, to have a solid grounding in financial accounting and to be a management accountant within 3 yrs.
Background: Nil accounting experience (career change from marketing), investing for 10 yrs (i.e. financial statements and asset/ project valuations) and MBA 5yrs ago.
If you were in this [messy!] position, which path would you consider best?:
1. Self-study CIMA’s foundation certificate and then begin the CIMA professional pathway of exams for Operational F1, P1, F2 etc. and seek no exemptions (except perhaps E1), or
2. Begin the exams for AAT L3 and L4 and then take CIMA’s “CMGA”, where MBA graduates take one exam at Management level and then start Strategic’s P3 etc. afterwards (i.e. exempt from all 3 Operational exams as well as 3 separate Management exams).
(Both paths will take roughly the same amount of time to reach CIMA Strategic.
Option 2 may seem a little strange, but it would fit the 3 aims mentioned.
Please help- I’m in a real pickle, since studying syllabuses and texts only guides you so far.
- The stupidity continues 617 23
- transactions after account have been closed 168 4
- Can I claim Vat on solicitors invoices? 163 5
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 534 10
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 221 6
- Calculating capital gains tax for non-residents UK residential property 125 1
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,340 25
- New Employers Helpline 209 4
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 223 3
- Software recommendations 277 1
- Share transfer question 378 17
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 328 7
- qualifying for 1/9th tax credit on foreign dividend 185 2
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,454 19
- Overlap relief 759 19
- What is IRIS World like? 368 8
- Pension contributions 383 10
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 512 11
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 210 1
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 287 8
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 439
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 435
- WIP Software 300
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 291
- No payroll scheme in place 235
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 231
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 209
- Is there anything wrong with this? 204
- Small Part Disposal of Property 189
- Uncommercial property business 181