Should a masters business degree holder start with AAT or not?
My question is whether a career-changer, moving into accounting and holding a master’s degree in business, should start at AAT L3 and L4 (assume exempt L2), or should they go straight into ACCA/ ACA/ CIMA professional studies.
If you could suspend judgement and take in a few specific details…
Aims: to secure a finance-related job a.s.a.p. in this tough market, to have a solid grounding in financial accounting and to be a management accountant within 3 yrs.
Background: Nil accounting experience (career change from marketing), investing for 10 yrs (i.e. financial statements and asset/ project valuations) and MBA 5yrs ago.
If you were in this [messy!] position, which path would you consider best?:
1. Self-study CIMA’s foundation certificate and then begin the CIMA professional pathway of exams for Operational F1, P1, F2 etc. and seek no exemptions (except perhaps E1), or
2. Begin the exams for AAT L3 and L4 and then take CIMA’s “CMGA”, where MBA graduates take one exam at Management level and then start Strategic’s P3 etc. afterwards (i.e. exempt from all 3 Operational exams as well as 3 separate Management exams).
(Both paths will take roughly the same amount of time to reach CIMA Strategic.
Option 2 may seem a little strange, but it would fit the 3 aims mentioned.
Please help- I’m in a real pickle, since studying syllabuses and texts only guides you so far.
- SAGE - Filtering Inactive Suppliers/Customers 115 2
- Personal allowance 412 10
- Workshops centred around Xero 458 12
- Limited Companies, Directors Employer Registration P11D 137 3
- Scams are not always obvious 685 19
- RTI, no payroll but BIK 112 1
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 108 2
- VAT on long lease in comercial property thathas opted to Tax 88 3
- Related party disclosures 169 3
- Input vat on my fees after deregistration 179 2
- Charity Buildings and Zero-rated Vat 75 1
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 611 17
- 100% FYA, do I have to cliam all of it in 1 year? 227 4
- Vat query - EU customer requesting invoice without charging vat 247 8
- Is this legal? 622 9
- Market Value/Connected Persons 187 7
- Saying NO to a time wasters 1,990 23
- Cells from many sheets 124 2
- Taxation of rental income 207 4
- notice of consent by surrendering company group relief 137 6
- New Fangled Penalties 1,042
- Moving away from CCH software 902
- Recruitment agencies 528
- QROP pension input amounts 410
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 362
- Deemed Employment Payment 344
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 307
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 298
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 217
- fraud 215