Should a masters business degree holder start with AAT or not?
My question is whether a career-changer, moving into accounting and holding a master’s degree in business, should start at AAT L3 and L4 (assume exempt L2), or should they go straight into ACCA/ ACA/ CIMA professional studies.
If you could suspend judgement and take in a few specific details…
Aims: to secure a finance-related job a.s.a.p. in this tough market, to have a solid grounding in financial accounting and to be a management accountant within 3 yrs.
Background: Nil accounting experience (career change from marketing), investing for 10 yrs (i.e. financial statements and asset/ project valuations) and MBA 5yrs ago.
If you were in this [messy!] position, which path would you consider best?:
1. Self-study CIMA’s foundation certificate and then begin the CIMA professional pathway of exams for Operational F1, P1, F2 etc. and seek no exemptions (except perhaps E1), or
2. Begin the exams for AAT L3 and L4 and then take CIMA’s “CMGA”, where MBA graduates take one exam at Management level and then start Strategic’s P3 etc. afterwards (i.e. exempt from all 3 Operational exams as well as 3 separate Management exams).
(Both paths will take roughly the same amount of time to reach CIMA Strategic.
Option 2 may seem a little strange, but it would fit the 3 aims mentioned.
Please help- I’m in a real pickle, since studying syllabuses and texts only guides you so far.
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 813 17
- Umbrella Company 127 2
- Vat treatment of charity business income 40 2
- Outsourcing iXBRL Tagging 416 24
- Payroll YTD info on Operaii 73 1
- Any Scottish members out there? 9,141 340
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 131 5
- Mortgage deposit Gift 420 18
- Profitable company wanting to buy an office 150 3
- property rental income split 252 3
- Shadow director or alternative? 466 4
- Does my client qualify for CGT Loss? 117 1
- EIS/SEIS capital gains exemption 89 2
- About to buy a block of fees. Any advice? 1,264 5
- Use of home for storage 323 6
- VAT registration for self employed dentist??? 324 10
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,237 21
- Shutting down losing Directors Loan 350 4
- VAT on stock sold at a loss 213 6
- Commercial property rental on disincorporation 84 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,185
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 403
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 313
- National Insurance 307
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 260
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 233
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 232
- Non Resident 218
- Franchise income and costs 201
- UTR reallocated by HMRC 142