Should a masters business degree holder start with AAT or not?
My question is whether a career-changer, moving into accounting and holding a master’s degree in business, should start at AAT L3 and L4 (assume exempt L2), or should they go straight into ACCA/ ACA/ CIMA professional studies.
If you could suspend judgement and take in a few specific details…
Aims: to secure a finance-related job a.s.a.p. in this tough market, to have a solid grounding in financial accounting and to be a management accountant within 3 yrs.
Background: Nil accounting experience (career change from marketing), investing for 10 yrs (i.e. financial statements and asset/ project valuations) and MBA 5yrs ago.
If you were in this [messy!] position, which path would you consider best?:
1. Self-study CIMA’s foundation certificate and then begin the CIMA professional pathway of exams for Operational F1, P1, F2 etc. and seek no exemptions (except perhaps E1), or
2. Begin the exams for AAT L3 and L4 and then take CIMA’s “CMGA”, where MBA graduates take one exam at Management level and then start Strategic’s P3 etc. afterwards (i.e. exempt from all 3 Operational exams as well as 3 separate Management exams).
(Both paths will take roughly the same amount of time to reach CIMA Strategic.
Option 2 may seem a little strange, but it would fit the 3 aims mentioned.
Please help- I’m in a real pickle, since studying syllabuses and texts only guides you so far.
- CG34 Post Transaction Valuation, CGT and Entrepreneurs Relief 72 3
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 809 12
- monthly payments 282 4
- Errors in prior year accounts 583 17
- Luncheon vouchers - Class 1 NICs 94 3
- Dissolve a Ltd Company - How much do you charge? 229 3
- property ownership between husband wife three taxpayers 215 1
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 309 1
- Best apps for clients 571 5
- Is anyone selling the CIOT manual essential law for the tax practitioners? 131 1
- Accountancy Software Recommendation for eCommerce Business 317 3
- CG34 approved "without prejudice" 141 2
- Client Death 436 7
- Consolidated Accounts Software 213 3
- Peer to Peer lending 311 7
- Loan to realted parties 156 3
- VAT On Conference Sponsorship 85 1
- Related party disclosures 112 2
- Loan from one LTD co. to another LTd Co. 130 1
- Hive up - accounting and notes to financial statements 179 2
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 592
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 464
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 362
- Sorry ignore me 356
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 292
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 271
- Cancelled 220
- Cancelled 196
- Bartercard 155
- C79 Discrepancy 153