Should a masters business degree holder start with AAT or not?
My question is whether a career-changer, moving into accounting and holding a master’s degree in business, should start at AAT L3 and L4 (assume exempt L2), or should they go straight into ACCA/ ACA/ CIMA professional studies.
If you could suspend judgement and take in a few specific details…
Aims: to secure a finance-related job a.s.a.p. in this tough market, to have a solid grounding in financial accounting and to be a management accountant within 3 yrs.
Background: Nil accounting experience (career change from marketing), investing for 10 yrs (i.e. financial statements and asset/ project valuations) and MBA 5yrs ago.
If you were in this [messy!] position, which path would you consider best?:
1. Self-study CIMA’s foundation certificate and then begin the CIMA professional pathway of exams for Operational F1, P1, F2 etc. and seek no exemptions (except perhaps E1), or
2. Begin the exams for AAT L3 and L4 and then take CIMA’s “CMGA”, where MBA graduates take one exam at Management level and then start Strategic’s P3 etc. afterwards (i.e. exempt from all 3 Operational exams as well as 3 separate Management exams).
(Both paths will take roughly the same amount of time to reach CIMA Strategic.
Option 2 may seem a little strange, but it would fit the 3 aims mentioned.
Please help- I’m in a real pickle, since studying syllabuses and texts only guides you so far.
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 959 32
- Self assesment online 277 5
- Companies House late filing penalties 2,980 97
- What sectors to target? 294 11
- Refusing to complete a tax return 356 10
- Duplicate emails from AWeb 27 2
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 409 15
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 106 7
- Practice management 220 4
- Teacher doing marking - tax deducted 442 6
- More NI or same 136 1
- Simplified use of home - contradiction 240 4
- Dissolved company with o/s corporation tax 205 5
- Repayment of maternity pay 63 1
- maternity allowance for self employed individual 159 1
- Year end 100 1
- Online Payroll with Auto Enrolment 154 2
- IHT and cash gifts 179 4
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 747 32
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 369 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 911
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 624
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 586
- Latest phishing scam 553
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 384
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 287
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 208
- Capital allowances in first basis period 196
- Sabbatical payments 182
- Scratch Head 177