Should a masters business degree holder start with AAT or not?
My question is whether a career-changer, moving into accounting and holding a master’s degree in business, should start at AAT L3 and L4 (assume exempt L2), or should they go straight into ACCA/ ACA/ CIMA professional studies.
If you could suspend judgement and take in a few specific details…
Aims: to secure a finance-related job a.s.a.p. in this tough market, to have a solid grounding in financial accounting and to be a management accountant within 3 yrs.
Background: Nil accounting experience (career change from marketing), investing for 10 yrs (i.e. financial statements and asset/ project valuations) and MBA 5yrs ago.
If you were in this [messy!] position, which path would you consider best?:
1. Self-study CIMA’s foundation certificate and then begin the CIMA professional pathway of exams for Operational F1, P1, F2 etc. and seek no exemptions (except perhaps E1), or
2. Begin the exams for AAT L3 and L4 and then take CIMA’s “CMGA”, where MBA graduates take one exam at Management level and then start Strategic’s P3 etc. afterwards (i.e. exempt from all 3 Operational exams as well as 3 separate Management exams).
(Both paths will take roughly the same amount of time to reach CIMA Strategic.
Option 2 may seem a little strange, but it would fit the 3 aims mentioned.
Please help- I’m in a real pickle, since studying syllabuses and texts only guides you so far.
- www.pool.adzio 248 4
- Losses carry forward to self employed 292 6
- Laptop help needed I bought the wrong operating system 55 2
- HMRC Post 641 9
- First director's salary payment 3 months after ltd company formation 350 6
- The Higgs Decision 395 5
- Selling Business 59 1
- Freelance/Employee 742 18
- FHL - hedge purchase 164 2
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 589 20
- Directors exempt from AE? 1,833 20
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 334 4
- Fees 560 6
- Time to ditch Sage? 504 8
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 465 8
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 312 3
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,919 43
- Agent Authorisation Issue 304 3
- Transactions with directors 496 3
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 317 9
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 772
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 421
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 371
- Electric Car 305
- S222 Charge 256
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 220
- IP trans to holding company 198
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 192
- AIA 190
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 185