Should a masters business degree holder start with AAT or not?
My question is whether a career-changer, moving into accounting and holding a master’s degree in business, should start at AAT L3 and L4 (assume exempt L2), or should they go straight into ACCA/ ACA/ CIMA professional studies.
If you could suspend judgement and take in a few specific details…
Aims: to secure a finance-related job a.s.a.p. in this tough market, to have a solid grounding in financial accounting and to be a management accountant within 3 yrs.
Background: Nil accounting experience (career change from marketing), investing for 10 yrs (i.e. financial statements and asset/ project valuations) and MBA 5yrs ago.
If you were in this [messy!] position, which path would you consider best?:
1. Self-study CIMA’s foundation certificate and then begin the CIMA professional pathway of exams for Operational F1, P1, F2 etc. and seek no exemptions (except perhaps E1), or
2. Begin the exams for AAT L3 and L4 and then take CIMA’s “CMGA”, where MBA graduates take one exam at Management level and then start Strategic’s P3 etc. afterwards (i.e. exempt from all 3 Operational exams as well as 3 separate Management exams).
(Both paths will take roughly the same amount of time to reach CIMA Strategic.
Option 2 may seem a little strange, but it would fit the 3 aims mentioned.
Please help- I’m in a real pickle, since studying syllabuses and texts only guides you so far.
- Cash in Hand 159 3
- Buy to let and capitak gain 189 5
- are receipts needed? 635 17
- SA302's anyone?? 620 18
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 333 8
- High value residential property - SDLT 15% 137 1
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 355 12
- Busines software 170 5
- Goods Purchased for Rental 201 6
- Converting a barn for business use 188 2
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 318 4
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 322 12
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 490 10
- Going to need a tax, insolvency and legal specialist I think 328 3
- Bookkeping software 732 7
- Clogged Losses 283 5
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 277 9
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 663 10
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 277 4
- Accounting for Bank Loyalty Rewards? 131 1
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 910
- International interest certificate 522
- NOVA 372
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 328
- Management expenses for investment company 276
- Bonus Bonds 272
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 186
- P11D benefit received by widow 166
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 163
- EXACT ONLINE 162