Simple duality question
Happy Sunday Night Everyone
So, I've read the relevant sections of the BIM in regards to duality along with reading other publications.
On the one hand I am told that where an expenditure has a dual purpose of a business and personal use the whole expense is disallowed.
Then I read that where you can apportion the percentage between business and private the business part is allowable.
1. Is it the case that the apportionment is only applicable to a limited amount of scenarios or is it simply the case that where duality exists that's the end of the matter in all scenarios?
2. Assuming apportionment is allowable, how exactly do you justify the percentage beyond sticking your finger in your mouth and then holding it to the wind? Obviously some thought has to go into it but from what I have read it's not exactly an exact science.
Many thanks in advanced for any response. I just love learning more about tax and this forum is very helpful.
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 189 6
- Non-compete agreement 179 1
- Expenses claim for non employee 196 1
- Any views 736 1
- Using a Business broker to sell a clients Company.....??? 89 1
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 204 6
- IRIS Practice Management 144 2
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 105 2
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 273 8
- Pre- trading Expenses 90 1
- Was I rude 778 19
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 172 3
- Corporation tax due date confusion 304 4
- You cannot be Serious!!! 255 1
- Top slicing relief question 232 2
- Valuation of PET on death 118 2
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 275 6
- Share swap 292 8
- Online filing 171 5
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 333 13
- Skandia using wrong address 1,481
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 815
- International interest certificate 446
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 419
- Sale of business 395
- NOVA 288
- IRIS Open Books problem 284
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 201
- Bonus Bonds 172
- Management expenses for investment company 172