Simple duality question
Happy Sunday Night Everyone
So, I've read the relevant sections of the BIM in regards to duality along with reading other publications.
On the one hand I am told that where an expenditure has a dual purpose of a business and personal use the whole expense is disallowed.
Then I read that where you can apportion the percentage between business and private the business part is allowable.
1. Is it the case that the apportionment is only applicable to a limited amount of scenarios or is it simply the case that where duality exists that's the end of the matter in all scenarios?
2. Assuming apportionment is allowable, how exactly do you justify the percentage beyond sticking your finger in your mouth and then holding it to the wind? Obviously some thought has to go into it but from what I have read it's not exactly an exact science.
Many thanks in advanced for any response. I just love learning more about tax and this forum is very helpful.
- PPR election - what do you think? 217 7
- Starting an accountancy practice for bachelors? 100 3
- Comments on this scenario 108 2
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,636 67
- Penalties 111 1
- SAGE con 222 4
- rates of pay query 217 3
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 86 2
- Recommendation for a good website on exchange rate forecast 138 10
- Pension contributions higher rate extension? 198 1
- Trading Structure / Illegal Trading 106 1
- Overpayment relief claim 153 5
- Charity reserves 130 3
- Have i messed up? 670 10
- Year end 363 4
- Test purchases in VAT enquiries 221 3
- Related Parties Note 419 9
- Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) 107 1
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 130 4
- loss on carbon credits 111 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,014
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 552
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 362
- Tax efficient holding company structure 288
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 276
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 214
- Charge out rates in London? 210
- Personal consumption by landlord 183
- Interest on Loan to a Company 174
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 150