Simple duality question
Happy Sunday Night Everyone
So, I've read the relevant sections of the BIM in regards to duality along with reading other publications.
On the one hand I am told that where an expenditure has a dual purpose of a business and personal use the whole expense is disallowed.
Then I read that where you can apportion the percentage between business and private the business part is allowable.
1. Is it the case that the apportionment is only applicable to a limited amount of scenarios or is it simply the case that where duality exists that's the end of the matter in all scenarios?
2. Assuming apportionment is allowable, how exactly do you justify the percentage beyond sticking your finger in your mouth and then holding it to the wind? Obviously some thought has to go into it but from what I have read it's not exactly an exact science.
Many thanks in advanced for any response. I just love learning more about tax and this forum is very helpful.
- VAT flat rate scheme 280 5
- Complex VAT Group 289 6
- Invoice personally but declare in company? 312 5
- Pre-registration VAT: can you reclaim VATon delivery costs incurred in the six months prior to registration? 41 3
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 310 1
- Anyone had this problem?? 492 14
- Any Answers changes - feedback required 3,228 107
- Client's company struck off 285 7
- Sole Trader Cessation 64 1
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 69 1
- What rent was paid for income tax purposes? 231 2
- Reversal of Warranty Provision 105 4
- Does a building subcontractor charge VAT on his labour on a new-build? 193 5
- Penalty on dormant CT600 prior to trading 107 1
- Related party disclosures 283 4
- Stamp Duty Land Tax 150 2
- Do you charge fee or % for Successful appeal against HMRC penalties? 1,275 21
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 384 4
- Company name change and Final Accounts - Can the Accounts be under new company name? 120 2
- Error or mistake in CT return 212 1
- QROP pension input amounts 466
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 405
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 405
- fraud 326
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 257
- Construction CIS LLP Company 240
- EPS and CIS deductions 239
- First Choice Final Accounts 195
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 188
- SAGE winforecast 165