Simple duality question
Happy Sunday Night Everyone
So, I've read the relevant sections of the BIM in regards to duality along with reading other publications.
On the one hand I am told that where an expenditure has a dual purpose of a business and personal use the whole expense is disallowed.
Then I read that where you can apportion the percentage between business and private the business part is allowable.
1. Is it the case that the apportionment is only applicable to a limited amount of scenarios or is it simply the case that where duality exists that's the end of the matter in all scenarios?
2. Assuming apportionment is allowable, how exactly do you justify the percentage beyond sticking your finger in your mouth and then holding it to the wind? Obviously some thought has to go into it but from what I have read it's not exactly an exact science.
Many thanks in advanced for any response. I just love learning more about tax and this forum is very helpful.
- New starter error how to correct 92 2
- Tax implication giving money to friend (not family) 239 4
- Summer house for business only 220 2
- Taxi Plate & Car 187 5
- Dividends out of profit where P&L bfwd is in deficit 140 4
- SA316s 249 4
- Director with lots of personal expenses 101 2
- Does a UK LTD pay Corporation Tax before sending dividend to Holding Company? 119 2
- LEL and PAYE registration 129 2
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 962 46
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 597 13
- Filing amended tax return 132 1
- Tier One Tribunal 228 11
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 841 26
- Prompt Payment Discount (PPD) Vat 2015 - CREDIT PRIOR INVOICE 123 1
- Pooled cars legislation unfairly punitive 140 2
- New starter not showing on RTI FPS submission (MoneySoft payroll) 262 5
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 169 2
- Another transfer of property 162 2
- VAT on non-denominated postage 230 7
- Construction CIS LLP Company 614
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 600
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 390
- Pensions Regulator 360
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 297
- Using the correct forms 272
- RTI - duplicate employee record 268
- SA penalty proposals 260
- Accelerated payment notices 241
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 238