Simple duality question
Happy Sunday Night Everyone
So, I've read the relevant sections of the BIM in regards to duality along with reading other publications.
On the one hand I am told that where an expenditure has a dual purpose of a business and personal use the whole expense is disallowed.
Then I read that where you can apportion the percentage between business and private the business part is allowable.
1. Is it the case that the apportionment is only applicable to a limited amount of scenarios or is it simply the case that where duality exists that's the end of the matter in all scenarios?
2. Assuming apportionment is allowable, how exactly do you justify the percentage beyond sticking your finger in your mouth and then holding it to the wind? Obviously some thought has to go into it but from what I have read it's not exactly an exact science.
Many thanks in advanced for any response. I just love learning more about tax and this forum is very helpful.
- Ltd company or sole trader 36 1
- Insolvent Liquidation 101 1
- insolvency ip control 152 1
- I know this has been done to death but IRIS / DIGITA / CCH??? 296 3
- Free Agent data? 82 1
- Generic PAYE notices 68 1
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 121 3
- Mature student with NO GCSEs or A levels but with very solid 2:1 degree, needs help? 513 9
- Disengaging a client who uses our office as a registered office address 535 12
- Fee protection 82 1
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 112 3
- What tax rules apply to oversea representative office employees in UK? 71 1
- UK company avoiding tax 179 2
- Finland 74 1
- With or without a practicing certificate 959 20
- Is HMRC iXBRL filing only available for small audit exempt companies 166 4
- What do you class as Research and Development for R&D Tax Relief 505 8
- Looking for free PDF creator 1,197 40
- reconcile Invoice finance bank statement on sage 105 1
- Closing Limited Company 382 10
- Xtuple 480
- Qtac payroll for bureau 323
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 270
- Industrial & Provident Societies 260
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 201
- Mehjoo 198
- Changes in NHS pensions 166
- VAT on commission from Oyster card top up, lottery & paypoint 165
- New strategic report 159
- South African Government Pension 136