Simple duality question
Happy Sunday Night Everyone
So, I've read the relevant sections of the BIM in regards to duality along with reading other publications.
On the one hand I am told that where an expenditure has a dual purpose of a business and personal use the whole expense is disallowed.
Then I read that where you can apportion the percentage between business and private the business part is allowable.
1. Is it the case that the apportionment is only applicable to a limited amount of scenarios or is it simply the case that where duality exists that's the end of the matter in all scenarios?
2. Assuming apportionment is allowable, how exactly do you justify the percentage beyond sticking your finger in your mouth and then holding it to the wind? Obviously some thought has to go into it but from what I have read it's not exactly an exact science.
Many thanks in advanced for any response. I just love learning more about tax and this forum is very helpful.
- VAT underpayments and financial reporting 50 1
- Why does Aweb always take the nuclear option … 2,697 61
- Bookkeeping - Relevant Qualifications? 282 5
- Overdrawn directors loan account. 833 20
- The importance of Grammar 905 24
- New starter - tax code 187 6
- Treatment of private car expenses put through limited company 125 2
- PI cover 108 2
- Capital loss on cessation for a sole trader 129 2
- HMRC site down ? 171 4
- Tax Filer - Transfering figures from partnership to personal returns 142 6
- Small hotel - food for personal use 205 3
- Xero Pain Points 258 12
- Models, agency rules and intermediary reporting 96 1
- Samsung Galaxy - Tablet War 122 1
- Late RTI submissions on change of accountants 168 2
- VAT - How hard is it? 389 15
- Tax Return for arrivals into the UK 154 4
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 597 9
- ACCOUNTING TREATMENT FOR DISBURSEMENTS 235 3
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 361
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 301
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 288
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 281
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 273
- Electric Car 225
- S222 Charge 203
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 198
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 192
- Company Structure 176