Simple duality question
Happy Sunday Night Everyone
So, I've read the relevant sections of the BIM in regards to duality along with reading other publications.
On the one hand I am told that where an expenditure has a dual purpose of a business and personal use the whole expense is disallowed.
Then I read that where you can apportion the percentage between business and private the business part is allowable.
1. Is it the case that the apportionment is only applicable to a limited amount of scenarios or is it simply the case that where duality exists that's the end of the matter in all scenarios?
2. Assuming apportionment is allowable, how exactly do you justify the percentage beyond sticking your finger in your mouth and then holding it to the wind? Obviously some thought has to go into it but from what I have read it's not exactly an exact science.
Many thanks in advanced for any response. I just love learning more about tax and this forum is very helpful.
- VAT & Landlords 159 3
- Auto enrolment and husband & Wife companies 387 2
- Extraction of Factory from Trading Company and Leaseback 56 1
- Make an adjustment to profits chargeable to class 4 nic 24 1
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 488 16
- Share swap 352 11
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 26 1
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 234 10
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 308 6
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 143 2
- Residential leeting and repairs 79 2
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 227 1
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 157 4
- Offsetting CIS tax suffered against CT 234 11
- Late P45 77 1
- VAT on motor expenses 936 34
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 511 8
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,759 23
- another ir35!!!! 1,208 8
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 141 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,553
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 855
- International interest certificate 473
- NOVA 330
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 240
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 229
- Management expenses for investment company 220
- Bonus Bonds 211
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 198
- Check my logic on this please? 166