Simple duality question
Happy Sunday Night Everyone
So, I've read the relevant sections of the BIM in regards to duality along with reading other publications.
On the one hand I am told that where an expenditure has a dual purpose of a business and personal use the whole expense is disallowed.
Then I read that where you can apportion the percentage between business and private the business part is allowable.
1. Is it the case that the apportionment is only applicable to a limited amount of scenarios or is it simply the case that where duality exists that's the end of the matter in all scenarios?
2. Assuming apportionment is allowable, how exactly do you justify the percentage beyond sticking your finger in your mouth and then holding it to the wind? Obviously some thought has to go into it but from what I have read it's not exactly an exact science.
Many thanks in advanced for any response. I just love learning more about tax and this forum is very helpful.
- CT600 for the first time 99 5
- CGT and PPR and Lettings Relief? 310 7
- Agent with HMRC 141 9
- Propert purchase, renovation then rented out and VAT 40 1
- Purchase buy-to-let property personally or LTD? 537 9
- Sage Payroll 93 4
- VAT query 137 2
- Elective DeductionsModel 101 2
- company secretarial software 198 4
- Do you design it or pick what's out there? 521 12
- How best to own a 4-way property partnership 255 5
- Value pricing 383 13
- Weely paid employees 87 1
- Tax repayment for 2013-14 287 6
- Should design costs be capitalised? 81 1
- Share restructure 353 13
- Belated VAT Exception Application 173 5
- Shouldn't have filed accounts? 472 14
- VAT Deregistration - Final return 60 1
- Should a company include comparative disclosures when no current year balances? 110 4
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 739
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 508
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 366
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 348
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 268
- VAT on Gaming Machines 221
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 204
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 194
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 184
- Director Loan account operation 163