Simple duality question
Happy Sunday Night Everyone
So, I've read the relevant sections of the BIM in regards to duality along with reading other publications.
On the one hand I am told that where an expenditure has a dual purpose of a business and personal use the whole expense is disallowed.
Then I read that where you can apportion the percentage between business and private the business part is allowable.
1. Is it the case that the apportionment is only applicable to a limited amount of scenarios or is it simply the case that where duality exists that's the end of the matter in all scenarios?
2. Assuming apportionment is allowable, how exactly do you justify the percentage beyond sticking your finger in your mouth and then holding it to the wind? Obviously some thought has to go into it but from what I have read it's not exactly an exact science.
Many thanks in advanced for any response. I just love learning more about tax and this forum is very helpful.
- Capital allowances or revenue is capital? 34 1
- any implications of this type of transaction 39 1
- How much did you pay for your website 1,678 28
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 93 3
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 274 11
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 1,026 13
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 261 7
- Sage data 100 1
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 420 9
- Limited company buying a car 359 6
- Funding Circle experience 149 3
- Excel query 114 2
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,289 13
- Payment on account penalties 124 3
- Tax on free shares 140 5
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 206 3
- Capital allowances on sale and puchase of business assets 124 1
- Audit 488 14
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 125 3
- Buying a horse?? 428 12
- CTA study material 804
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 495
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 460
- Employment related securities question 322
- AIM Stocks and IHT 309
- Expat pension contributions? 281
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 280
- Trust for Employee 256
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 231
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 160