Simple duality question
Happy Sunday Night Everyone
So, I've read the relevant sections of the BIM in regards to duality along with reading other publications.
On the one hand I am told that where an expenditure has a dual purpose of a business and personal use the whole expense is disallowed.
Then I read that where you can apportion the percentage between business and private the business part is allowable.
1. Is it the case that the apportionment is only applicable to a limited amount of scenarios or is it simply the case that where duality exists that's the end of the matter in all scenarios?
2. Assuming apportionment is allowable, how exactly do you justify the percentage beyond sticking your finger in your mouth and then holding it to the wind? Obviously some thought has to go into it but from what I have read it's not exactly an exact science.
Many thanks in advanced for any response. I just love learning more about tax and this forum is very helpful.
- Ok to disclaim? 44 1
- Disengagement Help! 42 2
- VAT - Check on clients business 983 41
- Xerocon 2016 485 7
- Can you use dividends to pay off interest charged on Directors Loan Accounts 89 3
- Taxi Drivers Cost of Sale 319 8
- Autumn statement 109 4
- How much detail should you put on CT600A 51 1
- Has this payroll data been created retrospectively? 298 3
- Barrister "M25 Patch"? 112 1
- What's the Barmiest Reason A Client gave you for going? 2,636 26
- Annual to At Least Quarterly 606 23
- Is cloud accounting actually pretty pants? 2,175 38
- Sale of business assets 115 3
- Moneysoft error 498 8
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,738 40
- Auto Enrol with Salary exchange 136 2
- GRNI - Normal Balance 166 5
- Small amount of untaxed royalties for someone outside SA 229 2
- Compare 2 lists 1,749 32