Simple duality question
Happy Sunday Night Everyone
So, I've read the relevant sections of the BIM in regards to duality along with reading other publications.
On the one hand I am told that where an expenditure has a dual purpose of a business and personal use the whole expense is disallowed.
Then I read that where you can apportion the percentage between business and private the business part is allowable.
1. Is it the case that the apportionment is only applicable to a limited amount of scenarios or is it simply the case that where duality exists that's the end of the matter in all scenarios?
2. Assuming apportionment is allowable, how exactly do you justify the percentage beyond sticking your finger in your mouth and then holding it to the wind? Obviously some thought has to go into it but from what I have read it's not exactly an exact science.
Many thanks in advanced for any response. I just love learning more about tax and this forum is very helpful.
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 125 3
- Legal title not in the company name 779 23
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 325 4
- What are options for non CA firm 2,811 59
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 299 8
- Opening Balances 189 2
- 27,000 Really? 1,105 34
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 571 7
- Tax Credits for Self Employed 51 1
- FRS12 Redundancy and notice period provision 78 1
- This is getting boring 605 12
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 247 7
- pension paid by company? 107 3
- inheritance tax 412 12
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 343 9
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 226 4
- State pension 300 3
- Accountancy Career 136 1
- CIC Company 656 13
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,822 22
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 639
- Cancelled 395
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 353
- Cancelled 335
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 308
- Probiz 303
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 279
- How not to compose an email 265
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 258
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 223