Simple duality question
Happy Sunday Night Everyone
So, I've read the relevant sections of the BIM in regards to duality along with reading other publications.
On the one hand I am told that where an expenditure has a dual purpose of a business and personal use the whole expense is disallowed.
Then I read that where you can apportion the percentage between business and private the business part is allowable.
1. Is it the case that the apportionment is only applicable to a limited amount of scenarios or is it simply the case that where duality exists that's the end of the matter in all scenarios?
2. Assuming apportionment is allowable, how exactly do you justify the percentage beyond sticking your finger in your mouth and then holding it to the wind? Obviously some thought has to go into it but from what I have read it's not exactly an exact science.
Many thanks in advanced for any response. I just love learning more about tax and this forum is very helpful.
- PPR relief - deemed residence? 219 6
- Hello 194 1
- flat rate scheme 1,462 33
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,731 51
- Inputting previous months data into PAYE tools 168 4
- Unpaid share capital 70 1
- 64-8 problems 108 2
- Employer reference not recognised? 111 2
- Business trips - director and family 219 2
- Non-UK resident - where to pay income tax? 427 10
- Allocation of income from property 447 12
- Networking 688 6
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 782 10
- VAT refund for DIY house builders 121 1
- Unqualified accountants filing SATR, VAT returns etc for clients 1,077 22
- bookkeeping system 362 5
- Outstanding Loans 126 1
- HELP...historic SSP query! 221 5
- Company van paid by director 222 2
- Private company division 213 2