Simple duality question
Happy Sunday Night Everyone
So, I've read the relevant sections of the BIM in regards to duality along with reading other publications.
On the one hand I am told that where an expenditure has a dual purpose of a business and personal use the whole expense is disallowed.
Then I read that where you can apportion the percentage between business and private the business part is allowable.
1. Is it the case that the apportionment is only applicable to a limited amount of scenarios or is it simply the case that where duality exists that's the end of the matter in all scenarios?
2. Assuming apportionment is allowable, how exactly do you justify the percentage beyond sticking your finger in your mouth and then holding it to the wind? Obviously some thought has to go into it but from what I have read it's not exactly an exact science.
Many thanks in advanced for any response. I just love learning more about tax and this forum is very helpful.
- Cocaine anyone? 894 15
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 256 5
- Vat on new builds 59 1
- Using home as clients registered address 229 5
- VAT MOSS registration 96 1
- Anyone else still working this week? 469 15
- How much does the company pay 819 35
- Which tax returns can I submit? 164 4
- HMRC property income enquiry 455 10
- Proof of identification 129 2
- When to provide S419 tax in the accounts 155 4
- Sole Trader change of accounting date 124 1
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 308 5
- Childcare vouchers 373 8
- Is this a qualifying loan for interest deductions? 102 2
- New Enterprise Allowance 93 1
- VAT Notice 700/64 - claiming VAT on motor repairs 89 1
- two business from one premises 195 3
- VAT transfer on going concern on incorporation 71 1
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 376 4
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 513
- corporate hierarchy 479
- Advice - 330
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 279
- WWOOFers 267
- The booking.com con 252
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 252
- Cocaine anyone? 235
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 229
- UK State pension paid in NZ 178