Simple duality question
Happy Sunday Night Everyone
So, I've read the relevant sections of the BIM in regards to duality along with reading other publications.
On the one hand I am told that where an expenditure has a dual purpose of a business and personal use the whole expense is disallowed.
Then I read that where you can apportion the percentage between business and private the business part is allowable.
1. Is it the case that the apportionment is only applicable to a limited amount of scenarios or is it simply the case that where duality exists that's the end of the matter in all scenarios?
2. Assuming apportionment is allowable, how exactly do you justify the percentage beyond sticking your finger in your mouth and then holding it to the wind? Obviously some thought has to go into it but from what I have read it's not exactly an exact science.
Many thanks in advanced for any response. I just love learning more about tax and this forum is very helpful.
- Non resident income. 433 20
- What sectors to target? 597 30
- FYAs on second-hand vans 245 7
- Rent a room scheme query. 173 3
- client can't/won't pay 1,921 41
- Self assesment online 979 11
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 254 21
- Why do I do this every year 391 9
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 294 5
- closing limited company 161 2
- VAT when selling on Amazon 81 1
- HMRC filing meltdown? 506 14
- Childcare voucher schemes 245 9
- IHT and US resident 56 1
- Limited Companies Merger 208 6
- Incidental costs of Acquisition for inherited property/shares 134 1
- Practice management 379 7
- IHT and cash gifts 245 5
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 532 13
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 1,599 42
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 926
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 645
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 596
- Latest phishing scam 574
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 411
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 310
- Scratch Head 239
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 229
- Sabbatical payments 195
- Negligible Value Claim 171