Simple Excel problem with rounding
In Excel if I have a formula in each of three cells (say, B1, B2 and B3), let's say B1 has =A1/3, B2 has =A1*2, and B3 has =A1.
Say in A1 I have 4.2.
Then B1, B2 and B3 evaluate to 1.4, 8.4 and 4.2 respectively.
Then =sum(B1:B3) evaluates to 14.
Suppose then I set my viewing options to display only whole numbers.
I then have 1+8+4=14.
Other users of my spreadsheet will spot what appears to be an obvious error!
I could avoid this by laboriously amending the formula in each of the cells to =round([formula],0).
I would then have a different result 1+8+4=13 which at least doesn't 'look wrong' on screen.
But changing the formulae in each of the cells B1 to B3 is a pain! And what if I have a spreadsheet with hundreds of formulae?
Is there an easy way to make sure a spreadsheet which shows figures in round pounds, or round thousands, or round millions, can be made to look as if at least I can add up correctly!!
I am sure this must have been asked before.
- Audit 424 14
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 364 8
- Tax on free shares 61 3
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 90 3
- Capital allowances on sale and puchase of business assets 89 1
- Buying a horse?? 363 12
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 177 2
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 158 2
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 718 21
- PITA ex-client 179 9
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 231 6
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 341 9
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 121 6
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 315 5
- How to complain about HMRC 1,655 19
- New supplier 122 3
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 821 22
- Capital allowances on a 3G Pitch 244 13
- Scottish Independance 877 24
- Funding Circle experience 75 1
- CTA study material 798
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 490
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 450
- Employment related securities question 316
- AIM Stocks and IHT 303
- Expat pension contributions? 275
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 273
- Trust for Employee 252
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 216
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 155