Simple Excel problem with rounding
In Excel if I have a formula in each of three cells (say, B1, B2 and B3), let's say B1 has =A1/3, B2 has =A1*2, and B3 has =A1.
Say in A1 I have 4.2.
Then B1, B2 and B3 evaluate to 1.4, 8.4 and 4.2 respectively.
Then =sum(B1:B3) evaluates to 14.
Suppose then I set my viewing options to display only whole numbers.
I then have 1+8+4=14.
Other users of my spreadsheet will spot what appears to be an obvious error!
I could avoid this by laboriously amending the formula in each of the cells to =round([formula],0).
I would then have a different result 1+8+4=13 which at least doesn't 'look wrong' on screen.
But changing the formulae in each of the cells B1 to B3 is a pain! And what if I have a spreadsheet with hundreds of formulae?
Is there an easy way to make sure a spreadsheet which shows figures in round pounds, or round thousands, or round millions, can be made to look as if at least I can add up correctly!!
I am sure this must have been asked before.
- Payment plans for clients 288 4
- How a company director can keep paying £833 90 4
- Community awards 2014 - first category 202 7
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 479 14
- Employee steeling client data 136 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,364 23
- Small bus. accounting software with departments 193 5
- Subsistence Exclusions 136 3
- Insurance Claims - Legal Services 94 1
- CT600 279 9
- VAT Office Grimsby 221 4
- signature required 917 34
- i want to get the reserves below 25K 204 1
- Can you help me spot errors? 343 4
- format cell to exclude decimals 335 17
- WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON AT HMRC? 169 2
- Form VAT 600 FRS 92 1
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 158 2
- Supply of service to EU community body exempt from VAT 104 1
- Lease 154 4
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,309
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 858
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 554
- Credit where credit's due....... 343
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 262
- TheTax Donut 235
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 194
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 185
- Director's business mileage 154
- Sole trader CPD 147