Ski Chalet business - Private minibus & missing receipts.
I am helping a friend get their bookkeeping in order so they can prepare their 1st year accounts (Sept 10 - Sept 11) for his ski chalet limited company (not VAT registered). I have found a couple of issues and wondered whether anyone has any guidance.
Lack of receipts - Their book keeping was virtually none existent, so I have been working from his bank statements. I have been able to allocate his expenses based on the bank descriptions, but when they have withdrawn cash to use for the business but have not kept a receipt how should we record this? He is able to give me explanations of what the cash was used for which all seem sensible and legitimate, but without receipts I am unsure what to do. Is it sufficient to allocate in line with his explanations and get him to make a note of what the cash was used for to keep in his accounting records?
Privately owned minibus - The Director bought a second hand minibus privately (before the company was set up) to use for guests/shopping/moving equipment etc. The minibus is solely used for the business and is taken off the road each summer. It has now been used for two winter seasons and he plans to sell it and replace it. Regardless of the relevant merits of keeping it private and claiming mileage allowance vs putting the expense in the business for capital allowances etc, from an administrative point of view is he able to transfer the minibus to the business for his accounting year to Sept 2011 given that we are now May 2012? Would this be in the form of a loan from the director? The log book is still in his name, so I assume he couldn't treat it as a sale to the company?
Thanks for the advice in advance!
- Fixed asset registers 306 10
- What is the best blog for practitioners to follow? 360 7
- Tech Champion of the Year 263 6
- Xmas party 133 1
- Just because it's Friday 305 6
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,362 66
- Inheritance Tax - Simple Question 157 4
- Non-resident employer & employee 109 4
- Capital Allowances 166 4
- equipment rental 221 10
- Acquisition by company 123 5
- Non sequitur 544 7
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 1,506 23
- R&D on products not sold 101 3
- Distance between Postcodes in Excel 936 13
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 198 4
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 647 9
- Transfer of land to family members 104 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 594 11
- The process of issuing dividend? 226 6
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,369
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 437
- Alphabet shares 243
- Agent fees to sell business 231
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 230
- Charge out rates in London 185
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 169
- which entity 151
- UK tax regime 'attractive' to investors, says KPMG 142
- confusion about 141