Happy New Year - think it's my first post of teh year - now what have I been up too.... ah yes pulling my hair out at clients who say - "yep will get onto my tax info week after next if that's OK....?"
Anyway - really easy question for those who know the answer.
I have recently taken on a small company client where the directors are Husband and Wife, each have been working in the business for 5 years or so and take small salary big dividend. I am in the process of doing their 2012 tax returns.
In Feb-12 Wife had a baby but previous advisor didn't claim any SMP on the grounds that "the company has not paid any NI in the past therefore you can't claim SMP" (that's what previous advisors email to my client stated back in December 2011 when they asked him about it)
I must confess I have never had one of my sole or husband and wife director companies have a baby (well the wife that is not the company!) and so hadn't thought about it.
I have looked at the guidance and read threads on here and it seems that he may have been wrong however some HMRC guidance seems to back up what he has said
If they could have claimed can they claim now? For this and last tax year? (Wife has been receiving £624/month every month this year but I guess that could be reclassified as SMP plus a top up? - If they can claim it is quite a big number and potentially they have missed out.
Any help from those better versed in SMP that I would be very very welcome!
Not a January SA deadline question I know so apologies for diverting away from the main theme of the month!
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 520 6
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 90 7
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 182 12
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 436 9
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 269 4
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 93 2
- Limited company buying a car 105 3
- ACCA practice certificates 478 5
- Limited company buying director's car 273 10
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 58 1
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 62 1
- WC's and capital allowances 167 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 292 13
- Dress code 1,532 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 473 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 247 6
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 366 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 466 23
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 165 4
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 99 3
- CTA study material 765
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 475
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 388
- Employment related securities question 306
- AIM Stocks and IHT 278
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 256
- Expat pension contributions? 255
- Trust for Employee 233
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 166
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 146