Happy New Year - think it's my first post of teh year - now what have I been up too.... ah yes pulling my hair out at clients who say - "yep will get onto my tax info week after next if that's OK....?"
Anyway - really easy question for those who know the answer.
I have recently taken on a small company client where the directors are Husband and Wife, each have been working in the business for 5 years or so and take small salary big dividend. I am in the process of doing their 2012 tax returns.
In Feb-12 Wife had a baby but previous advisor didn't claim any SMP on the grounds that "the company has not paid any NI in the past therefore you can't claim SMP" (that's what previous advisors email to my client stated back in December 2011 when they asked him about it)
I must confess I have never had one of my sole or husband and wife director companies have a baby (well the wife that is not the company!) and so hadn't thought about it.
I have looked at the guidance and read threads on here and it seems that he may have been wrong however some HMRC guidance seems to back up what he has said
If they could have claimed can they claim now? For this and last tax year? (Wife has been receiving £624/month every month this year but I guess that could be reclassified as SMP plus a top up? - If they can claim it is quite a big number and potentially they have missed out.
Any help from those better versed in SMP that I would be very very welcome!
Not a January SA deadline question I know so apologies for diverting away from the main theme of the month!
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 83 2
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 555 7
- Tax Credits for Self Employed 20 1
- 27,000 Really? 1,068 33
- Legal title not in the company name 770 23
- FRS12 Redundancy and notice period provision 66 1
- This is getting boring 591 12
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 236 7
- pension paid by company? 92 3
- inheritance tax 403 12
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 328 9
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 222 4
- State pension 292 3
- Accountancy Career 115 1
- CIC Company 655 13
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,817 22
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,279 66
- Deduction from Salary 642 15
- Bank account of a different company being used for transactions. 432 5
- Group Audit Thresholds 353 10
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 639
- Cancelled 394
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 353
- Cancelled 334
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 307
- Probiz 301
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 278
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 258
- How not to compose an email 254
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 222