Happy New Year - think it's my first post of teh year - now what have I been up too.... ah yes pulling my hair out at clients who say - "yep will get onto my tax info week after next if that's OK....?"
Anyway - really easy question for those who know the answer.
I have recently taken on a small company client where the directors are Husband and Wife, each have been working in the business for 5 years or so and take small salary big dividend. I am in the process of doing their 2012 tax returns.
In Feb-12 Wife had a baby but previous advisor didn't claim any SMP on the grounds that "the company has not paid any NI in the past therefore you can't claim SMP" (that's what previous advisors email to my client stated back in December 2011 when they asked him about it)
I must confess I have never had one of my sole or husband and wife director companies have a baby (well the wife that is not the company!) and so hadn't thought about it.
I have looked at the guidance and read threads on here and it seems that he may have been wrong however some HMRC guidance seems to back up what he has said
If they could have claimed can they claim now? For this and last tax year? (Wife has been receiving £624/month every month this year but I guess that could be reclassified as SMP plus a top up? - If they can claim it is quite a big number and potentially they have missed out.
Any help from those better versed in SMP that I would be very very welcome!
Not a January SA deadline question I know so apologies for diverting away from the main theme of the month!
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 132 7
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 110 2
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 466 8
- R&D tax claim 221 6
- Gift to employee 359 12
- Tax Allowance on University Course 91 1
- Transfer of a business 103 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,109 22
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 402 8
- VAT Cross Border Invoicing 106 2
- Sage Import Data 298 6
- Slight twist on employment related securities 238 1
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 99 2
- Best time software for small practice? 210 2
- Residents Association Corp Tax 314 13
- private to company car? 362 9
- Which address 1,007 11
- Do I charge VAT for event I held in Paris 264 5
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 956 15
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 271 6
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 472
- CTA study material 453
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 328
- Pre incorp expenses 306
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 261
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 250
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 202
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 152
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 136
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 130