Happy New Year - think it's my first post of teh year - now what have I been up too.... ah yes pulling my hair out at clients who say - "yep will get onto my tax info week after next if that's OK....?"
Anyway - really easy question for those who know the answer.
I have recently taken on a small company client where the directors are Husband and Wife, each have been working in the business for 5 years or so and take small salary big dividend. I am in the process of doing their 2012 tax returns.
In Feb-12 Wife had a baby but previous advisor didn't claim any SMP on the grounds that "the company has not paid any NI in the past therefore you can't claim SMP" (that's what previous advisors email to my client stated back in December 2011 when they asked him about it)
I must confess I have never had one of my sole or husband and wife director companies have a baby (well the wife that is not the company!) and so hadn't thought about it.
I have looked at the guidance and read threads on here and it seems that he may have been wrong however some HMRC guidance seems to back up what he has said
If they could have claimed can they claim now? For this and last tax year? (Wife has been receiving £624/month every month this year but I guess that could be reclassified as SMP plus a top up? - If they can claim it is quite a big number and potentially they have missed out.
Any help from those better versed in SMP that I would be very very welcome!
Not a January SA deadline question I know so apologies for diverting away from the main theme of the month!
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 470 18
- Double tax treaty Italy and UK 90 1
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 1,100 7
- Bereavment payment 66 1
- Can anyone advise on the best VAT Scheme to change to? 270 4
- Apologies for reposting this but first post was on Friday afternoon! 341 2
- CT600 Computations - Company Tax Return help 1,292 14
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 144 2
- Companies House incorporation service 343 12
- Factors affecting tax charge FRS 19 (marginal rate) 73 1
- P35 and Service Company questions 146 3
- VAT chargeable to conference attendees 191 6
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 199 1
- Long period of account for Corporation Tax 259 7
- Flat Rate VAT and EU sales (Non VAT) 141 3
- NIC £2000 Allowance - Care Support Worker 149 3
- VAT, vans, sole traders and business use. 1,598 12
- Share Capital 129 2
- Trading income or not? 193 1
- Charge HMRC 421 3
- Xtuple 547
- Qtac payroll for bureau 375
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 316
- Industrial & Provident Societies 313
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 290
- CIS schemes 221
- Domain name sale and limited company 205
- Investment 185
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 184
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 178