Happy New Year - think it's my first post of teh year - now what have I been up too.... ah yes pulling my hair out at clients who say - "yep will get onto my tax info week after next if that's OK....?"
Anyway - really easy question for those who know the answer.
I have recently taken on a small company client where the directors are Husband and Wife, each have been working in the business for 5 years or so and take small salary big dividend. I am in the process of doing their 2012 tax returns.
In Feb-12 Wife had a baby but previous advisor didn't claim any SMP on the grounds that "the company has not paid any NI in the past therefore you can't claim SMP" (that's what previous advisors email to my client stated back in December 2011 when they asked him about it)
I must confess I have never had one of my sole or husband and wife director companies have a baby (well the wife that is not the company!) and so hadn't thought about it.
I have looked at the guidance and read threads on here and it seems that he may have been wrong however some HMRC guidance seems to back up what he has said
If they could have claimed can they claim now? For this and last tax year? (Wife has been receiving £624/month every month this year but I guess that could be reclassified as SMP plus a top up? - If they can claim it is quite a big number and potentially they have missed out.
Any help from those better versed in SMP that I would be very very welcome!
Not a January SA deadline question I know so apologies for diverting away from the main theme of the month!
- VAT Receipts 151 4
- Today's HMRC Business Help & Support SA302s 93 5
- Company accounts for £350 781 23
- Seeking advice: Osetting Directors Loan at Startup 109 3
- Mandatory Capitalisation 202 3
- Software for Accounts layout 199 3
- Practice software 1,094 16
- A different accounts production software request 127 2
- Seeking advice: With recruitment agencies for temporary placements, is VAT taken off the whole sum received from the client, or just what the company retains? 107 2
- Am I the only one who finds this annoying 1,054 39
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,522 16
- Marriage Allowance Transfer 277 9
- new dividend allowance 302 5
- Identity Checks 302 8
- Allowable expenses on retal property 537 14
- Disclosure of 2014 corporation tax refund in 2015 accounts 320 3
- Company leaving VAT group 95 2
- Redundancy pay 190 2
- Bad debts 192 4
- Sage Drive Queue.dta file lock out 660 13
- FRS 101 Software 309
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 297
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 289
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 268
- French ConnectionUK 228
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 202
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 198
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 196
- APN's 182
- Penalties for late filing of P11D forms 174