Happy New Year - think it's my first post of teh year - now what have I been up too.... ah yes pulling my hair out at clients who say - "yep will get onto my tax info week after next if that's OK....?"
Anyway - really easy question for those who know the answer.
I have recently taken on a small company client where the directors are Husband and Wife, each have been working in the business for 5 years or so and take small salary big dividend. I am in the process of doing their 2012 tax returns.
In Feb-12 Wife had a baby but previous advisor didn't claim any SMP on the grounds that "the company has not paid any NI in the past therefore you can't claim SMP" (that's what previous advisors email to my client stated back in December 2011 when they asked him about it)
I must confess I have never had one of my sole or husband and wife director companies have a baby (well the wife that is not the company!) and so hadn't thought about it.
I have looked at the guidance and read threads on here and it seems that he may have been wrong however some HMRC guidance seems to back up what he has said
If they could have claimed can they claim now? For this and last tax year? (Wife has been receiving £624/month every month this year but I guess that could be reclassified as SMP plus a top up? - If they can claim it is quite a big number and potentially they have missed out.
Any help from those better versed in SMP that I would be very very welcome!
Not a January SA deadline question I know so apologies for diverting away from the main theme of the month!
- 40% rule for travel expenses 310 9
- capital gains on PPR 105 4
- Cash injection by shareholder 230 5
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,605 431
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,225 62
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 313 6
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 257 8
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 404 20
- 100% Xero practice 2,385 43
- How to pursue fraudulent trading 341 5
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 284 8
- PRR 320 12
- Is it more beneficial to be a Ltd company? 217 3
- corp tax software 380 7
- Pension Contributions Relief 456 14
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 483 7
- Which tax box 208 2
- How to change reconciliation status of bank account in Sage 50 177 3
- how to start a career in accounting at 34? 294 3
- References for clients 261 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,304
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 468
- National Insurance 363
- Non Resident 287
- Franchise income and costs 258
- Hands on experience of Digita 212
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 175
- Employer's Helpline 160
- employment capital allowances 154
- CIS paid under reg 9 146