Happy New Year - think it's my first post of teh year - now what have I been up too.... ah yes pulling my hair out at clients who say - "yep will get onto my tax info week after next if that's OK....?"
Anyway - really easy question for those who know the answer.
I have recently taken on a small company client where the directors are Husband and Wife, each have been working in the business for 5 years or so and take small salary big dividend. I am in the process of doing their 2012 tax returns.
In Feb-12 Wife had a baby but previous advisor didn't claim any SMP on the grounds that "the company has not paid any NI in the past therefore you can't claim SMP" (that's what previous advisors email to my client stated back in December 2011 when they asked him about it)
I must confess I have never had one of my sole or husband and wife director companies have a baby (well the wife that is not the company!) and so hadn't thought about it.
I have looked at the guidance and read threads on here and it seems that he may have been wrong however some HMRC guidance seems to back up what he has said
If they could have claimed can they claim now? For this and last tax year? (Wife has been receiving £624/month every month this year but I guess that could be reclassified as SMP plus a top up? - If they can claim it is quite a big number and potentially they have missed out.
Any help from those better versed in SMP that I would be very very welcome!
Not a January SA deadline question I know so apologies for diverting away from the main theme of the month!
- Payroll software : RTI submissions 267 14
- Value pricing 555 19
- Fee's for P11D's 248 4
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 372 1
- Childcare Vouchers 157 3
- Quarterly PAYE 155 6
- Audit Report Query 174 5
- Coming in from the cold 180 2
- Employment Allowance related companies 67 2
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 1,286 26
- VAT Query re: Foreign VAT 62 1
- Should design costs be capitalised? 124 3
- Issuing an invoice as an individual (non UK resident) 64 1
- Thats Better 254 6
- reporting salary? 132 2
- apprentices 87 1
- Sage Payroll 252 10
- VAT 143 2
- Belated VAT Exception Application 223 7
- Enforcing A CCJ 255 6
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 763
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 519
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 389
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 273
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 213
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 212
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 195
- Director Loan account operation 194
- vat return 163
- Paye procedures for CVA 150