Happy New Year - think it's my first post of teh year - now what have I been up too.... ah yes pulling my hair out at clients who say - "yep will get onto my tax info week after next if that's OK....?"
Anyway - really easy question for those who know the answer.
I have recently taken on a small company client where the directors are Husband and Wife, each have been working in the business for 5 years or so and take small salary big dividend. I am in the process of doing their 2012 tax returns.
In Feb-12 Wife had a baby but previous advisor didn't claim any SMP on the grounds that "the company has not paid any NI in the past therefore you can't claim SMP" (that's what previous advisors email to my client stated back in December 2011 when they asked him about it)
I must confess I have never had one of my sole or husband and wife director companies have a baby (well the wife that is not the company!) and so hadn't thought about it.
I have looked at the guidance and read threads on here and it seems that he may have been wrong however some HMRC guidance seems to back up what he has said
If they could have claimed can they claim now? For this and last tax year? (Wife has been receiving £624/month every month this year but I guess that could be reclassified as SMP plus a top up? - If they can claim it is quite a big number and potentially they have missed out.
Any help from those better versed in SMP that I would be very very welcome!
Not a January SA deadline question I know so apologies for diverting away from the main theme of the month!
- Time to ditch Sage? 103 2
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 234 8
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 108 2
- Non VAT invoices 107 2
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 247 8
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,351 32
- Fees 123 1
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 233 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 176 2
- Form 17 Download 93 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 534 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 367 4
- HMRC Information notice 983 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 268 3
- Accountant Specialization. 370 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,746 42
- Sage Line 50 169 3
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 175 1
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 443 6
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 389 7
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 751
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 410
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 362
- Electric Car 297
- S222 Charge 243
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 202
- IP trans to holding company 192
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 180
- AIA 175
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 173