Happy New Year - think it's my first post of teh year - now what have I been up too.... ah yes pulling my hair out at clients who say - "yep will get onto my tax info week after next if that's OK....?"
Anyway - really easy question for those who know the answer.
I have recently taken on a small company client where the directors are Husband and Wife, each have been working in the business for 5 years or so and take small salary big dividend. I am in the process of doing their 2012 tax returns.
In Feb-12 Wife had a baby but previous advisor didn't claim any SMP on the grounds that "the company has not paid any NI in the past therefore you can't claim SMP" (that's what previous advisors email to my client stated back in December 2011 when they asked him about it)
I must confess I have never had one of my sole or husband and wife director companies have a baby (well the wife that is not the company!) and so hadn't thought about it.
I have looked at the guidance and read threads on here and it seems that he may have been wrong however some HMRC guidance seems to back up what he has said
If they could have claimed can they claim now? For this and last tax year? (Wife has been receiving £624/month every month this year but I guess that could be reclassified as SMP plus a top up? - If they can claim it is quite a big number and potentially they have missed out.
Any help from those better versed in SMP that I would be very very welcome!
Not a January SA deadline question I know so apologies for diverting away from the main theme of the month!
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,012 26
- hMRand Customs Powers of Arrest 2,772 23
- Running two businesses from the same premises 99 1
- Late Registration for VAT 167 5
- Registering a company late 231 6
- Can someone help me please I don't know how to correct an error regarding an intercompany bank transfer on sage 273 4
- physiotherapy clinic 553 3
- It’s our staff Christmas party this week, what did you do for your firm? 1,909 18
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 92 2
- Deferred Tax 134 1
- Preference shares treated as liabilities 83 1
- I've not operated a payroll - will i get charged on late PAYE payments? 414 7
- How much of your work is admin? 175 1
- HMRC Let Property Campaign 1,796 19
- Goodwill complications 154 2
- Personal pension 219 3
- Practical Courses - Accounts Prep 181 1
- VAT Registration for locum Doctors 300 7
- IRIS Accounts Production - Dividends shown in P&L? 260 6
- Gov.UK - can we have HMRC.gov.uk back? 992 26
- TheTax Donut 1,011
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 673
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 620
- Follower cases 487
- Limited company purchase of property 414
- Hive up 413
- corporate hierarchy 380
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 377
- LIVE chat, starting now 325
- AIA or IFA 211