Happy New Year - think it's my first post of teh year - now what have I been up too.... ah yes pulling my hair out at clients who say - "yep will get onto my tax info week after next if that's OK....?"
Anyway - really easy question for those who know the answer.
I have recently taken on a small company client where the directors are Husband and Wife, each have been working in the business for 5 years or so and take small salary big dividend. I am in the process of doing their 2012 tax returns.
In Feb-12 Wife had a baby but previous advisor didn't claim any SMP on the grounds that "the company has not paid any NI in the past therefore you can't claim SMP" (that's what previous advisors email to my client stated back in December 2011 when they asked him about it)
I must confess I have never had one of my sole or husband and wife director companies have a baby (well the wife that is not the company!) and so hadn't thought about it.
I have looked at the guidance and read threads on here and it seems that he may have been wrong however some HMRC guidance seems to back up what he has said
If they could have claimed can they claim now? For this and last tax year? (Wife has been receiving £624/month every month this year but I guess that could be reclassified as SMP plus a top up? - If they can claim it is quite a big number and potentially they have missed out.
Any help from those better versed in SMP that I would be very very welcome!
Not a January SA deadline question I know so apologies for diverting away from the main theme of the month!
- CGT on transfer of property 296 18
- The stupidity continues 2,349 101
- Pension Fund Audit for HMRC form APSS106 - suggested program? 50 2
- Auto-enrolment - fact or fiction? 44 1
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 905 18
- Clearbooks - creating a HP Account 197 8
- HMRC website & Adobe Reader 59 1
- Landlord probs - IHT, CGT and cashflow 143 2
- Excel file Corrupted 139 3
- Benefit in kind but no salary 174 2
- Ishares Ftse 100 (ETF) -Ireland 117 1
- Marketing and email surprises 511 10
- Cis refund for company 177 3
- 45p mileage - stupid question 431 4
- Sage Line 50 - create custom remittance advices 140 1
- Taxable turnover for VAT registration 233 8
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,490 27
- PRR and Letting relief 133 2
- Do I need to make a P11D provision in Accs? 179 2
- Capital Event? 161 4
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 459
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 451
- WIP Software 317
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 301
- No payroll scheme in place 258
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 253
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 234
- Is there anything wrong with this? 230
- Small Part Disposal of Property 209
- Uncommercial property business 203